VN Ren'Py Ergi [v0.7.1] [KKChar]

4.50 star(s) 11 Votes

drhook

Dec 19, 2022
This game would be so much better with a few qol improvements.

For one what is with this weird time gating of triggering quests where even if you have the required materials events owon't trigger . The game doesn't tell you what days the quests will trigger so you're left checking every day and holding onto to supplies that could be used for other quests crafting other materials. If you have the materials required events/quests should automatically trigger.

The energy cost for automated harvesting should be lower. You spend less energy ff you went to each individual farm/orchard/stable area than you would by using automated harvesting. By using automated harvesting in early chapters you basically use up the majority of your energy for the day making it hard to do anything. I think the cost should be decreased by half from 10 to 5 for food/sugar , and 1 to 0 for compost.

Materials not carrying over from chapter 1 to 2 is really annoying , especially when you're on a time crunch for the first half of chapter 2 and starting at 0 in terms of supplies/money/rations kind of sucks. I get it may be a technical issue allowing supplies to not transfer over between chapters, but if thats the case I think at least allowing you start off with a little gifted to you would not be too much to ask.

The cost reward for quests is also kind of messed up. In early chapters you usually get really little in terms of reward for having to use up a lot of materials/money to be able to do the event.

Combat also makes no sense to me. The game doesn't really give you a simple intro into it and expects you to figure everything out.

I guess I'm just really struggling to figure out chapter 2 and how to get the materials to get the materials needed to complete quests, while also having enough for crafting, and also getting enough fitness.

B1smth

Jan 6, 2024
The energy cost for automated harvesting should be lower. You spend less energy ff you went to each individual farm/orchard/stable area than you would by using automated harvesting. By using automated harvesting in early chapters you basically use up the majority of your energy for the day making it hard to do anything. I think the cost should be decreased by half from 10 to 5 for food/sugar , and 1 to 0 for compost.
Oh baby, automated harvesting is a trap. You'd be consuming +1 energy more than if you'd just did it manually. Same goes with Mass Distillery.

But yeah your other concerns are true. They do get better a bit in C4 onwards. The code and structure is "more organized", but the game is still mostly unplayable without guides. It is kinda hard to get a hang off event triggers. Basically:
  • One Event Per Day: You can only talk to each captain once per day.
  • Quest Assignment Event: Every Chapter, each Captain gives you Side Quests that basically progress their own character arcs.
  • No Same Day Accomplishment: After a Quest Assignment Event, you cannot accomplish them on the same day they are given because of the One Event Per Day rule above.
  • Filler Events: For the mean time that you do not have the resources to fulfill the quest, and if you have not spoken to the Captain that day, usually there will be some filler events once you actually talk to the Captain. In these events, the Captain will not give you more quests. Some of these Filler Events are really just flavor, other times it can impact the story.
  • Quest Fulfillment Event: If you have not spoken to the Captain that day, and if you also have the required materials for the quest fulfillment, a quest fulfillment event will automatically occur when you talk with the captain. As per the game's script, this naturally takes higher priority over Filler Events. In these events, the Captain may give you another quest or just conclude their "main arc" for the Chapter. When that happens, filler events will still happen until the chapter runs out of them.
  • The Time Stream: Having said all that, this "One Event Per Day" rule is mainly why people get confused with the triggers. Quest Events and Filler Events have to converge into one stream because only one of their events can occur in a day. These are two storylines trying to fight for one timeslot to occur per day. Therefore, to maximize action economy, I strongly recommend gathering the materials for quest fulfillment first BEFORE making rounds and talking to each of the Captains. That way, you can strategically prioritize Quest Fulfillment Events to occur over Filler Events. Basically, you'll be able to move through the important story quicker.
  • Importance of Captains' Side Quests: Most of these side quests reward you with what you ultimately need for the Main Quests. In fact, in later chapters, the Main Quest itself is just to finish up all side quests. Hence, finishing Captains' Side Quests should be your priority. There's guides out there on which Captain you should prioritize, but you can get by without strictly following it.

On material carryover, I know it's upsetting at first, but in C3 onwards they introduce a mechanism to kinda allows this while keeping it balanced. Trust me, the game gets way too easy if all resources carryover across chapters. This is also why there is a One Event Per Day rule above. It's a balance thing. You'd be breezing through too quickly without these handicaps.

For combat, you just really have to find the "rhythm" of when the jotun makes its "major attack". I think for C2 and C3 they do it every 6 actions. For C4 onwards it's usually 4. What this means is that you basically need to make sure to use defend as much as possible every 6 (for C2 and C3) or 4 (for C4 onwards) turns, so that you can defend against heavy damage. You can do anything in between (better if you maximize synergies), but you'll be fine as long as you use defend every 6 or 4 attacks.

Last edited:

drhook

Dec 19, 2022
Oh baby, automated harvesting is a trap. You'd be consuming +1 energy more than if you'd just did it manually. Same goes with Mass Distillery.

But yeah your other concerns are true. They do get better a bit in C4 onwards. The code and structure is "more organized", but the game is still mostly unplayable without guides. It is kinda hard to get a hang off event triggers. Basically:
  • One Event Per Day: You can only talk to each captain once per day.
  • Quest Assignment Event: Every Chapter, each Captain gives you Side Quests that basically progress their own character arcs.
  • No Same Day Accomplishment: After a Quest Assignment Event, you cannot accomplish them on the same day they are given because of the One Event Per Day rule above.
  • Filler Events: For the mean time that you do not have the resources to fulfill the quest, and if you have not spoken to the Captain that day, usually there will be some filler events once you actually talk to the Captain. In these events, the Captain will not give you more quests. Some of these Filler Events are really just flavor, other times it can impact the story.
  • Quest Fulfillment Event: If you have not spoken to the Captain that day, and if you also have the required materials for the quest fulfillment, a quest fulfillment event will automatically occur when you talk with the captain. As per the game's script, this naturally takes higher priority over Filler Events. In these events, the Captain may give you another quest or just conclude their "main arc" for the Chapter. When that happens, filler events will still happen until the chapter runs out of them.
  • The Time Stream: Having said all that, this "One Event Per Day" rule is mainly why people get confused with the triggers. Quest Events and Filler Events have to converge into one stream because only one of their events can occur in a day. These are two storylines trying to fight for one timeslot to occur per day. Therefore, to maximize action economy, I strongly recommend gathering the materials for quest fulfillment first BEFORE making rounds and talking to each of the Captains. That way, you can strategically prioritize Quest Fulfillment Events to occur over Filler Events. Basically, you'll be able to move through the important story quicker.
  • Importance of Captains' Side Quests: Most of these side quests reward you with what you ultimately need for the Main Quests. In fact, in later chapters, the Main Quest itself is just to finish up all side quests. Hence, finishing Captains' Side Quests should be your priority. There's guides out there on which Captain you should prioritize, but you can get by without strictly following it.

On material carryover, I know it's upsetting at first, but in C3 onwards they introduce a mechanism to kinda allows this while keeping it balanced. Trust me, the game gets way too easy if all resources carryover across chapters. This is also why there is a One Event Per Day rule above. It's a balance thing. You'd be breezing through too quickly without these handicaps.

For combat, you just really have to find the "rhythm" of when the jotun makes its "major attack". I think for C2 and C3 they do it every 6 actions. For C4 onwards it's usually 4. What this means is that you basically need to make sure to use defend as much as possible every 6 (for C2 and C3) or 4 (for C4 onwards) turns, so that you can defend against heavy damage. You can do anything in between (better if you maximize synergies), but you'll be fine as long as you use defend every 6 or 4 attacks.
I guess I just don't get the reasoning behind a lot of these decisions the developers made

Why even have automated harvesting then, and why is there a cost to creating it if it's a net negative? Why punish someone for trying to save time? Why have such particular rules about how you trigger events? Why does the game explain hardly anything about it's mechanics?

It seems like for me at least that the game focusses on increasing difficulty over anything else in ways that are more frustrating , and not very respectful of my time, than challenging

• Thinking Face
Reactions: @LonelyWolf

B1smth

Jan 6, 2024
I guess I just don't get the reasoning behind a lot of these decisions the developers made

Why even have automated harvesting then, and why is there a cost to creating it if it's a net negative? Why punish someone for trying to save time? Why have such particular rules about how you trigger events? Why does the game explain hardly anything about it's mechanics?

It seems like for me at least that the game focusses on increasing difficulty over anything else in ways that are more frustrating , and not very respectful of my time, than challenging
Well the game is still in a very Alpha stage. We're still only at C7 out of 9 Chapters. I bet the dev just really wanted to put the story out there first before polishing/consolidating its mechanics. I'm sure they're well aware of its flaws. It's not just the mechanics anyway. There's much less CGs on later chapters so I reckon they might overhaul a lot of things after they finish the story. As it is right now, a lot of things are still unbalanced. But, this game is still definitely a grower though. Its charm is more in its story than gameplay and smut, so I get it if it's not what people signed up for.

XVGuil

Aug 6, 2019
This game would be so much better with a few qol improvements.

For one what is with this weird time gating of triggering quests where even if you have the required materials events owon't trigger . The game doesn't tell you what days the quests will trigger so you're left checking every day and holding onto to supplies that could be used for other quests crafting other materials. If you have the materials required events/quests should automatically trigger.

Materials not carrying over from chapter 1 to 2 is really annoying , especially when you're on a time crunch for the first half of chapter 2 and starting at 0 in terms of supplies/money/rations kind of sucks. I get it may be a technical issue allowing supplies to not transfer over between chapters, but if thats the case I think at least allowing you start off with a little gifted to you would not be too much to ask.

The cost reward for quests is also kind of messed up. In early chapters you usually get really little in terms of reward for having to use up a lot of materials/money to be able to do the event.

Combat also makes no sense to me. The game doesn't really give you a simple intro into it and expects you to figure everything out.

I guess I'm just really struggling to figure out chapter 2 and how to get the materials to get the materials needed to complete quests, while also having enough for crafting, and also getting enough fitness.
QoL will definitely make this game way better, and Alf rework (But I assume you haven't reach chapter 3).

Fitness actually not that hard to get because you get it from the quests and scenes itself, but I totally get what you're saying.

Automation is absolutely weird because it cost 1 more energy, but it is kind of understandable in harvesting because you're basically getting the harvest without using any composts which is a valuable ingredient in future chapters because it is the only way to make enzymes.

That being said, at first I also have the same opinion of you regarding the materials not carrying over, but as you go through the chapters, I understand that making the materials carrying over meant that the future chapters will be WAY too easy, like absolutely no challenge whatsoever. It could be fix, but not without totally overhauling the game economy itself, and that point, I much rather have Alf rework first.

Reactions: @LonelyWolf

drhook

Dec 19, 2022
So i'm at chapter 2 the control station tower or whatever , and at first it said I could eithe ruse 1 power and 5 research or hack it, but when I came back with power and supplies , now it is saying I need to find a way in. What am I supposed to do ?

Ryostorm

Jul 20, 2024
So i'm at chapter 2 the control station tower or whatever , and at first it said I could eithe ruse 1 power and 5 research or hack it, but when I came back with power and supplies , now it is saying I need to find a way in. What am I supposed to do ?
Have you found the CPU’s?

drhook

Dec 19, 2022
You have to get on the satellite dish
Hey one more question (hopefully). I'm now on the simulation data quest and have everything except one debris sample. Could you help me find the last one or just post the guide? The chapter 2 guide I have stops after the wolf boss fight.

Reactions: Ryostorm

Ryostorm

Jul 20, 2024
Hey one more question (hopefully). I'm now on the simulation data quest and have everything except one debris sample. Could you help me find the last one or just post the guide? The chapter 2 guide I have stops after the wolf boss fight.
3507+ on the fusion core code. And these pictures start from right after the wolf fight in the forest. It’s the rest of the ch 2 guide.

Last edited:

Ryostorm

Jul 20, 2024
give you 1 power for 3 energy... absolutely not worth it unless you're really in a pinch, and absolutely useless in chapter 7.
That’s kinda what I figured. It took forever to get a straight answer on Discord. But I’m trying to figure out where to put my six bones at the beginning of Ch 4. I know I want all my Valkyrie skills at 4 I can train defend IV with Hildr and therefore I have two other points I’m thinking Asbru 4 and Vitality 3. But then I could go ahead and put them on Valk. However I’m at 90 charm and I want 100. I get 5 Charm traveling to the peaks. And I can get another 5 with Asbru 4. Along with will boosts training Asbru.

XVGuil

Aug 6, 2019
That’s kinda what I figured. It took forever to get a straight answer on Discord. But I’m trying to figure out where to put my six bones at the beginning of Ch 4. I know I want all my Valkyrie skills at 4 I can train defend IV with Hildr and therefore I have two other points I’m thinking Asbru 4 and Vitality 3. But then I could go ahead and put them on Valk. However I’m at 90 charm and I want 100. I get 5 Charm traveling to the peaks. And I can get another 5 with Asbru 4. Along with will boosts training Asbru.
a bit of a spoiler in regards to the bones economy, you usually would have a full tree by chapter 7, and you can fill 1 skill to 7-9 depending on how much bonus bones you got, and you'd only need 1 bones to fill a tree if you have all of the skills at 8.

Reactions: Ryostorm and B1smth

Ryostorm

Jul 20, 2024
a bit of a spoiler in regards to the bones economy, you usually would have a full tree by chapter 7, and you can fill 1 skill to 7-9 depending on how much bonus bones you got, and you'd only need 1 bones to fill a tree if you have all of the skills at 8.
Interesting, thank you. This game is so fun, I’m not ready for it to end in a couple chapters.

4.50 star(s) 11 Votes