Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Although I don't like HS2 as engine, this game seems pretty good, but there are far too many inner thoughts from the MC.
Considering how his inner thoughts are a lot less yappy compared to other introspective VN MCs out there (i.e. Shirou from FSN, the MC from Lycoris Radiata, Valentine from STWA: Unbroken), this sounds more like a "you" problem I think.

Fapparition

Dec 25, 2022
Agreed, but I suppose its similar to Japanese VNs where you're meant to be replaying them anyway, and like you mentioned with the scrollback feature we can do it in an instant anyway. Nevertheless, smaller writing features like what you've mentioned would've made an already 10/10 game even better
Nah, not really. People replay japanese VNs because of the amount of endings/routes they provide. For example, School Days have like 20+ endings, here's the route map
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

In Eternum we will probably have 1 harem ending which we can cripple by excluding LIs + several bad endings (which are not really endings) like it was OIALT. That means you really need to only play it once (harem ending) and you've seen it all

browse_man

Jan 2, 2019
Nah, not really. People replay japanese VNs because of the amount of endings/routes they provide. For example, School Days have like 20+ endings, here's the route map

In Eternum we will probably have 1 harem ending which we can cripple by excluding LIs + several bad endings (which are not really endings) like it was OIALT
I mean, I only made the comparison to explain the "choices without context" decision to begin with. Besides, not all Japanese VNs have that many endings, most of the moege I play for instance have an ending for each heroine and MAYBE a true route if it isn't already part of the aforementioned. Aside from the bad ends of course.

Reactions: Pervy Hermit

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021

In Eternum we will probably have 1 harem ending which we can cripple by excluding LIs + several bad endings (which are not really endings) like it was OIALT. That means you really need to only play it once (harem ending) and you've seen it all
This amount of routes doesn't mesh well with serializing your work. You have one path in episode 1, two paths in episode 2... all the way to 128 paths in episode 8. If episode 1 takes one month to make, episode 8 will take 11 years. So what can you do?

1. Abandon the game like GRRM abandoned ASOIAF, because it's unworkable
  2. Make the paths shorter and shorter with each episode, which will mean that episode 8 will be just ending slides
  3. Dramatically lower the production values, so you can squeeze more parts into a single release: 8 releases with 16 episode-sided chunks of content in each
Most Japanese VN historically take route 3: they have character sprites talk in front of blurred backgrounds for the vast bulk of the scenes. Cari, on the other hand, goes all in with detailed scenes, posing, lighting, camera angles.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
That means you really need to only play it once (harem ending) and you've seen it all
Well...you've seen all you WANT to see. :HideThePain:

In the end Eternum is just a very linear and focused game with a likewise story. That can be a weakness for some and a strength for others. At least it won't blow-up in size and scope like BaDIK has, which is the true ASoIaF as far as VNs go. :HideThePain:

e6mill

Aug 4, 2022
I remember Bible Black wouldn't give the canon (best) ending until you'd played all the way through to a non-shitty ending at least once...

j01ntr0l1a

Mar 23, 2022
Well...you've seen all you WANT to see. :HideThePain:

In the end Eternum is just a very linear and focused game with a likewise story. That can be a weakness for some and a strength for others. At least it won't blow-up in size and scope like BaDIK has, which is the true ASoIaF as far as VNs go. :HideThePain:
i mean i missed some scenes so i had to play it over i didnt mind it

Reactions: Takkatakka

Leinad_Sevla

Jun 30, 2023
^ this. "No means No" is a good approach most of the time, especially in more wholesome games which Eternum is.

And I think the only times where MC is not listening to the LI and it turns out positive is when it is out of control of the player. So I would assume that most if not all negative choices will lead to a lost path or a game over.
Eternum is definitely an avn where pushing the boundaries set by the LI will get you nowhere. In most avns you are almost encourage to ignore the nos and just do what you want, because the girls always end up liking it.
anyone have any idea when will the next update comes out?
Probably around November.

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
Every girl that has had a penetration sex scene has liked it rough. Dalia said she can take it harder than her sister and I can´t wait to see that happening.
I am excited for the Dalia scene.

But my biggest criticism of Eternum is that the girls' different personalities disappear as soon as they get to this part. I would prefer them to like sex in different ways. Not necessarily matching their usual personality - it can be fun to have the sweet shy girl who turns into an insatiable can't get it hard enough freak when she's turned on – but not all wanting it the same way. Even most of the ones who haven't gone all the way yet have at least hinted they like it rough. I'm holding out hope that Luna won't be like that. I kind of want Annie to be, see previous comments about the sweet shy girl and also Annie wanting to show the others that she can handle herself. But would take her being different for the contrast.

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
Eternum is definitely an avn where pushing the boundaries set by the LI will get you nowhere. In most avns you are almost encourage to ignore the nos and just do what you want, because the girls always end up liking it.
Eternum did have a bit of the typical "creep MC" in the early chapters, with spying on Dalia being rewarded more than letting her know you're in the tub (and with Nancy being a more typical "horny landlady"), but it's gotten much more consistent in handing out rel points since then.

minibaer12

Oct 1, 2023
I avoided Eternum for a long time because the graphics didn't particularly appeal to me. Last week I found out in SG that Eternum had collected more awards than SG. That got me interested and I've now played through it.

In .6 I had the strange feeling that something was "brewing" here, and in two ways. In .7 this feeling was further strengthened.

The first feeling concerned the MC himself. He actually thought he was invulnerable, he's the greatest, he's the best, etc. Well, the cliffhanger shows us that someone has been brought down to earth in a really bad way. And that's a good thing!

This cliffhanger makes me fear the worst for my second feeling: MC's relationships with the 7 LIs and the group as a whole. It seems like every girl wants the sexual activities to remain secret and FOR GOOD REASON!!!

I don't know what the Dev is planning, but he has meticulously outlined the stages of each LI's relationship; first meeting, acquaintance, friendship, friendship with extras (petting, BJ, etc), friends with benefits (sex). All my girls have between 4 and 5 hearts and the MC has fucked 4/7. Now what's the next stage? Some of the girls are starting to think. There is also a certain rivalry or they are getting into position.

Everything else is pure speculation, but the cliffhanger shows us how far the Dev will go!

[edit] I looked at the programming of the scripts, and the developer explicitly provided this multipath.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunner

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
Eternum did have a bit of the typical "creep MC" in the early chapters, with spying on Dalia being rewarded more than letting her know you're in the tub (and with Nancy being a more typical "horny landlady"), but it's gotten much more consistent in handing out rel points since then.
This is one of the most impressive improvements Caribdis has made since OIAL. That had multiple events depending on you doing some very creepy things (pretending to be someone else with a blindfolded woman, pretending to be someone's therapist to trick them into sex). I let it pass because they are typical AVN tropes, but I was very happy not to see much of that in Eternum. What Nancy does is easily forgivable (it's really accidental that she sees him that way, and then fascination, but no active creeping) and the Dalia scene is not that bad, not being an active choice to spy from outside on someone already in the bathroom. I still chose to reveal that Orion was there.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Ok, for the longest time I wasn't really into Nancy or Penelope. They still come in second place to Annie, Nova, Dahlia, Luna, and Alex ( in no particular order - tied for first place) but the gap between the first place girls and the second place girls is narrowing. :D

It was the same thing with "Once in a Lifetime", all the girls ended up tied for first in a harem ending. Caribdis knows how to write girls that appeal to me :love:

I just played the latest update ( I know, I know...late to the party) and all of them just keep getting better.

Edit: Yes, I forgot Calypso. She's kind of in 3rd place for me. A little too arrogant and vain for me at the moment. I fully realize Carib will rectify that by the end :LOL:

Darkdevil66

Apr 16, 2020
Ok, for the longest time I wasn't really into Nancy or Penelope. They still come in second place to Annie, Nova, Dahlia, Luna, and Alex ( in no particular order - tied for first place) but the gap between the first place girls and the second place girls is narrowing. :D
Is that so ? What happened to The redhead is always the best girl, Skeletor ?

4.80 star(s) 957 Votes