DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Just give it a score. What do you think is lacking from the image that would give it a higher score? Speaking with you guys have enlightened me about the lighting in HS2, and already I have made a few changes. A man does not improve if he does not know what he is lacking.
Mind you, I couldn't do anything even close to this. I'm an idiot when it comes to creative tasks. So I'm not sure what kind of authority I'm supposed to have here.

Firstly, the lighting is too bright. It washes out and desaturates the colors and removes a lot of detail. I am aware that the scene is in direct sunlight and probably realistically lit, but it's not always about realism. We had a pool scene in Eternum recently and he strategically placed the characters under an umbrella, probably for just this reason. I feel like the shadows aren't sharp and dark enough, which is probably also realistic, but not aesthetic. It also makes her face in the second picture look rather weird and a bit unattractive, even if the model clearly isn't.
The rest of the model looks mostly fine apart from anti-gravity hair, but that's a thing a lot of artists get wrong, sometimes deliberately so and sometimes because the model doesn't cooperate.

6.5/10
As I said, valiant effort, and I mean that.

Reactions: BiggestDickest

BiggestDickest

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2021
So I'm not sure what kind of authority I'm supposed to have here.
Your authority comes from your eyes. One does not have to be a painter to appreciate paintings. Most of us here aren't artists. I just happen to love to imitate arts, and honestly, all the scenes I have copied from Devil May Cry, Deus Ex, Jojo, and others, make me wonder why they were so magical. Why can't I reproduce the same kind of art? In particular, Deus Ex is like a museum. Every scene is just so heavenly, but I digress.
Firstly, the lighting is too bright. It washes out and desaturates the colors and removes a lot of detail.
Yes, I thought that was the case too. I tried to imitate the brightness and the angle of the light from the same scene first chapter of Eternum. I did try to lower the brightness, but that wasn't it. The brightness is about the same, to my eyes at least, but you just mentioned a keyword, saturation. That might just be what the scene needs.
We had a pool scene in Eternum recently and he strategically placed the characters under an umbrella, probably for just this reason.
I don't remember such a scene. Was that in chapter 3 or 4? I'll go take a look.
I am aware that the scene is in direct sunlight and probably realistically lit, but it's not always about realism.
I feel like the shadows aren't sharp and dark enough, which is probably also realistic, but not aesthetic. It also makes her face in the second picture look rather weird and a bit unattractive, even if the model clearly isn't.
There is nothing realistic about the scene. Trust me. It was lit with a directional light, which is not a good approach for an open area. You should do that with an HDRI instead, but I'm trying to re-create the scene from the first chapter. You are right about the shadows, but that is actually what I'm trying to solve. It doesn't look realistic. The magic of Caribdis is that he is able to make the lighting in HS2 somewhat realistic. It's really hard to do. That's what I'm trying to learn.
The rest of the model looks mostly fine apart from anti-gravity hair, but that's a thing a lot of artists get wrong, sometimes deliberately so and sometimes because the model doesn't cooperate.
I have no control over the hair. It's just one big mesh, so it always stays the same.

But see, thank you, really, for all your inputs. I gave up on HS2 long ago exactly because I couldn't make beautiful renders. Eternum changed my mind so I thought I'd give it another try. Eternum stands out from the rest of the HS2 games because of its lighting, (and of course the story and animations and all that). I'm trying to capture that technique. Let's hope I can do better next time.

Reactions: DirtyMario

starkj

May 17, 2022
I think other than custom maps, he is just using the standard version of the BetterRepack of HS2. I think the most impressive part (in terms of visuals) about Eternum is the lighting. Lots of HS2 games lack shadows. I have no idea how Caribdis does it. Unlike Daz, which gives you full control over the lighting because every map starts in pitch black, a lot of HS2 maps have built-in lighting that is very flat. The HDRI in HS2 are also quite bad. I don't know. I have tried to imitate Caribdis' style in my renders but they are nowhere close. Maybe you're right, he is indeed a wizard.
Pale Carnations is also very good because of the lighting imo. Many games out there could be miles better if they had better lighting, without it they just look bland.

Alandir

Aug 18, 2021
[0.5] - Sneak peek #1

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
What's going on in that last picture? Why is the picture on the phone the exact same picture that we are seeing. I assume the answer is mirrors as it looks to be in a changing room, but I can't quite wrap my head around how you would take a picture like this irl.

Reactions: jocoyo
Aug 15, 2021
What's going on in that last picture? Why is the picture on the phone the exact same picture that we are seeing. I assume the answer is mirrors as it looks to be in a changing room, but I can't quite wrap my head around how you would take a picture like this irl.
It makes sense to me - go to your bathroom with your back against the mirror and try taking a picture of yourself with the mirror being a part of the picture.

Reactions: Alandir

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Does anyone have any theories as to what could be happening in all the sneak peek pictures
Patreon post said "focus on real life events," so it's likely irl bonding among the girls since this will probably be the first time they'll all get together as one group outside of the game. Nova is probably sketching out her costume for the cosplay party, and the last pic is likely Annie giving Orion (MC) a progress update on her hair growth.

For the first pic, it's likely Alex is checking up on Orion (MC) and is frowning at him (either because he tells her that he had just met up with the Founder and she thinks he's pulling her leg, or he told her nothing was wrong but she thinks he's not telling her the truth)

As for Annie's annoyed face in the fourth pic...I don't know. Annoyance at the fact that Orion (MC) is going to a cosplay party with Nova and Penelope and didn't think about inviting her? Helping Nova brainstorm what cosplay she could wear? Frustration at the revelation that she wasn't the first person who got to suck Orion's dong? Could be anything, really.

Alandir

Aug 18, 2021
It makes sense to me - go to your bathroom with your back against the mirror and try taking a picture of yourself with the mirror being a part of the picture.
Your right.

Does anyone have any theories as to what could be happening in all the sneak peek pictures
The backgrounds of that bench and the veranda look kindof similar, maybe they all went together to someplace. Maybe to celebrate the successfull heist + party.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
That's a scary thought. I know only one way of giving donuts.

Daenerys
H-Hentai!!!!:eek::ROFLMAO:
Joking aside, I was referring to real donuts I wasn't doing any dirty innunendo I swear. :D

Daenerys? Uhm you mean Emilia Clarke? I don't know but I don't see a great resemblance between her and Alex, I mean she's beautiful and I loved her in GoT, I would say that to me Alex is a mix between Cate Blanchet and Michelle Pfeiffer ( when they were really young of course), so it's basically impossible to find a real woman that can match her irl imho.:)

P.S. But if by chance I will get some model or actress that can pass for her, I will show the pics as promised before.;)

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: DirtyMario
4.80 star(s) 931 Votes