bolenart

Jun 17, 2017
Why are the updates of this game so slow? I ask because I saw that the creator receives +4000 patrons, which assuming they are of the lowest value (2.5 EUROS) gives a total of 10000 Euros. Unless I'm wrong and patrons aren't people who support, then he receives enough money to do more constant work, right? let's take gunsmokegames as an example, they receive 3900 patrons assuming they are 1 dollar, he receives 3900 dollars per month, but his updates are almost every 1 - 2 months, and I think he is the only one working. Well this may just be how I perceive the situation of this game, but I feel that the updates are too slow. Could someone explain to me please, what is the general situation of this game in terms of its updates? =
Couple of points that have not been adressed.

1) Different games will have updates of different sizes. Some release small updates once a month, some massive ones once a year, and everything in between.
2) Quality vs quantity. Caribdis produces a high quality product (as demonstrated by the rating of his games) and thus it will take longer time vs other games with worse graphics, worse writing, non-sensical story etc.
3) After the cut taken by patreon and taxes, less than half of what is paid goes back to the creator. Patreon is notorious among creators for having tons of hidden fees for all sorts of things. Also there's a lot of investment needed in hardware and software needed for high quality games.

I've been on this site for many years now and I can't think of another creator that has been reliably putting out content at this pace.

MagnusAxess

Jan 9, 2022
Why are the updates of this game so slow? I ask because I saw that the creator receives +4000 patrons, which assuming they are of the lowest value (2.5 EUROS) gives a total of 10000 Euros. Unless I'm wrong and patrons aren't people who support, then he receives enough money to do more constant work, right? let's take gunsmokegames as an example, they receive 3900 patrons assuming they are 1 dollar, he receives 3900 dollars per month, but his updates are almost every 1 - 2 months, and I think he is the only one working. Well this may just be how I perceive the situation of this game, but I feel that the updates are too slow. Could someone explain to me please, what is the general situation of this game in terms of its updates? =
Updates faster than most games with higher quality: still considered slow.

broken_dreamer

Sep 17, 2022
I'm a fan of Caribdis since OIAL so I have high expectation for this game, hope it will be even better. Maybe I will wait for more updates before playing this, I have patience :HideThePain:

Drakenite

Aug 16, 2021
So I met up with some friends and we all shared what we got for Christmas. I did not mention receiving anything because I know they are not familiar with this game. But even though I played before Christmas, I truly considered this game to be a very early Christmas present.

Haven't truly found a game of this caliber in a long time, that makes me churn through waves of emotion whether it be happiness through the humor, or sadness and anger (Alex's house), and maintaining the level of quality that it is. I am really thankful I discovered this gem.

Thank you Santa Caribdis.

Cbkim

Jun 7, 2021
Am i supposed to die in this part? If not, is there a way to not die in this part? I tried every choices and just leads me to dying. I'm afraid it would be punishing if i chose the wrong path.
1672166502984.png

ArDZer

Feb 20, 2019
Am i supposed to die in this part? If not, is there a way to not die in this part? I tried every choices and just leads me to dying. I'm afraid it would be punishing if i chose the wrong path.
View attachment 2267147
If you didn't bought a certain pendant for a certain lassie (that's Annie) when the protagonist first logs into Eternum, that might happen to both of them.

Edit: If you're in doubt, use the walkthrough
https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/08/2014119_WALKTHROUGH_0.4.pdf

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Cbkim

Cherubin25

Nov 7, 2020
View attachment 2267147
I have not played this far, but did you try other choices before THIS choice? It might be possible that a choice before that leads to you dying regardless. (This was a thing in the Devs first game as well, if I remember correctly)

Cbkim

Jun 7, 2021
If you didn't bought a certain pendant for a certain lassie (that's Annie) when the protagonist first logs into Eternum, that might happen to both of them.

Edit: If you're in doubt, use the walkthrough
https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/08/2014119_WALKTHROUGH_0.4.pdf
thanks, now i need to replay it from the start :KEK:

Edit: I was kinda careless because i knew it was at v 0.1 and i just started playing it yesterday. I didn't bother saving from that point and checking all items to see if it would affect the relationship ( I chose the pervy sunglasses). My bad

Last edited:

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
As a rule of thumb, if you have a choice of either doing something for one of the girls or for yourself, always think of the lady first. A rule that has already proven itself in the last VN by Caribdis.

Reactions: B2B2 and nerowaiss

Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020

Edit: I was kinda careless because i knew it was at v 0.1 and i just started playing it yesterday. I didn't bother saving from that point and checking all items to see if it would affect the relationship ( I chose the pervy sunglasses). My bad
Not really. So far you only miss one heart i think. But there is no saying on how much it will mean by the endings.

Aug 15, 2021
Not really. So far you only miss one heart i think. But there is no saying on how much it will mean by the endings.
I think it is better to replay tbh because I think the choice is more important than just missing out on 1 heart. In game annie plays as a mage and we know that levels determine what spells you can/cannot use (penny's spell from hogwarts for example had level requirements).

Annie dying means her levels are reset and since that is the case, certain spells may be inaccessible to her in the future. You also need to remember that she was level 33 (I think?) which is fairly high level so it is not an unreasonable assumption that she has multiple high level spells. So her losing the levels and having to rebuild can have consequences going forward.

If you press ctrl it will not take time. Also I have not used it myself but I believe the mod makes it so that you have the pendant during that scene even if you did not buy it in 0.1. Maybe others who have used the mod can correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: Machete

Phase_01

Nov 27, 2021

smh this is why u think with ur heart and not ur penis

Phase_01

Nov 27, 2021

I didn't bother saving from that point and checking all items to see if it would affect the relationship
if ur not opposed to walkthroughs, id recommend using the sanchomod

some dont like walkthroughs and would rather go with the flow, which is valid

but if ur the type to try to pick the best option, and ur replaying parts multiple times just to find out, might be worth using if ur just tryna play linearly

you can also change the transition in settings to unseen (i think thats the one) and just press ctrl and skip through and choose all the choices really fast until u get back to the spaceship part

Cherubin25

Nov 7, 2020
Another option is to use tons of Saves. Whenever I play, I also save a lot, just to make sure to get to another savefile if I messed up or want to see another path.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021

I did a save at the glasses, just to check the out. Otherwise, I chose wisely.

I played forward from the glasses save, died, but used the cheat to get me out of it as if I chose properly to begin with.

sageproduct

Mar 16, 2021
Updates faster than most games with higher quality: still considered slow.
It's like when I was a kid playing SimCity and was trying to solve the citizens' complaint that "taxes are too high". I set the tax rate to 0%. And 3.2% of the citizens still complained that "taxes are too high".
If you're waiting to for a higher version for more content, you really really don't need to wait. There's already an insane amount of content in the game
I don't think I'll ever wait for the purpose of playing when there is more content available, but I do understand the desire and choice of some to. I found Eternum 0.4 earlier this year, right after discovering these games through a certain one about a young man going to college and joining a frat with a phallic-sounding name.

Playing through 0.1-0.4 was an incredible experience that can never be recreated. I of course had to immediately play Once in a Lifetime, and that immersion was unparalleled. I felt like I lived it - an entire lifetime within a week. (Even if Asmodeus did call me useless and ask why I'm even playing the game and triggering a surely non-canon ending!! Friendship for the win <3)

It was magical - truly a once in a lifetime experience. I can never forget the adventures and fights alongside Judie and Lauren. Sobbing my eyes out at Rebecca's wedding, when she finally, finally got to do what she truly wanted, to the tune of EvangelionFeeling compelled to risk anything to protect loved ones in scary, dangerous situations.

Following art release-by-release just feels fundamentally different. My generation grew up with Harry Potter. He literally aged alongside us. As we grew up, so did the series and the character. Our identities developed, and Harry Potter evolved through different genres.

I am not so particular to where I will go to such lengths to control which experience I have (how could one ever wait to play an Eternum release), but I won't really be able to compare Once in a Lifetime and Eternum past 0.4 in some ways. Because one I experienced as a snapshot of who I was at the time that I played it. And the other, I will experience over the course of years, as I and my life evolve over that time, perceiving each release a bit differently because I am a bit different each time.

Thing is, both works are incredibly paced. Extremely genre and format-savvy in this regard. It's also part of what makes Eternum feel like a kids' TV show, which I absolutely adore. Eternum especially so because of how incredibly massive and expansive the world and scope easily could be.

Also funny thing - a few weeks ago I was playing this weird game called real life and met a possible romance path. Before I realized what I was doing, I inadvertently tried to impress her with a bit of trivia about East Timor's tax rate. Unfortunately in my bumbling-idiot MC syndrome I got it wrong and instead of her reacting with "Oh wow sageproduct you're so incredibly knowledgeable and cultured and obviously play Eternum too, let's get married", I made her sad about how poor some people in the country are.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Thank you saxafon404 and the troll on the Leap of Faith forum. I now have a new vow going forward: Anytime I see an obvious troll post, rather than respond, I'm just going to immediately ignore them.

Already implemented btw, in case you saw this and wanted to bother me for some reason ...

4.80 star(s) 913 Votes