Kornilov

Aug 23, 2020
I feel "minor" is an understatement considering:

-Orion has a role/referenced in the "Odyssey," which is the tale from where Odysseus/Ulysses serves as the main character

-The number of the main human LI's are 7, which is likely a reference to the Pleiades (as mentioned by ArDZer), the 7 daughters of the Titan Atlas (which is referenced in this VN as a set of artifact weapons) who are pursued by Orion (the hunter)

-Orion's connection to the underworld which - again - is referenced in the "Odyssey." And in this VN we see that Orion (MC) has a connection with the dead (see: the dreams and the creepy whispers that he hears in this update), though it remains unclear as to why he has such a connection

-Orion is referenced in the myths as a complete horndog, and his VN namesake is pretty much the same
Bah, had I known when I first played the game that it would hold any kind of significance I would have left it as is, but FROM A FRESH PLAYER PERSPECTIVE "Orion" is indeed an atrocious name, more fit for someone born 150 or hell 2000 years ago than someone contemporary to us.
Can you really blame me (or anyone else) for calling it a bad name and changing it as soon as I saw it?

Though tbf despite having studied greek and roman mythology ( many many years ago) the myth references flew over my head... like most of them tbh, I blame the girls for that though.

Yes I did recognize the greek names, yes I saw them in many parts of the game, no I didn't make the connection between them and a more broad lore.
If anything I just found it normal, almost expected, that a VRMMORPG would have basic mythological names thrown around, like you know how there seems be nordic mythos everywhere with the Yggdrasill tree, cool sounding weapons names, and things like that... at least that is what the japs tend to do in LNs and VNs in a very clumnsy manner and that kind of spoiled me ina way, so I have to applaud the dev if he actually put some thought behind it this time (and subvert my expectations along the way, as well as me totally not getting it from a single read)

Orion is hampering your personal immersion, but not Nova ?

I mean Nova is probably as rare if even rarer for a girl IRL.
Tbf I though Nova was a seudonym at first, which would have matched with how serious she takes remaining anonymous, I was even puzzled when that was not the case. Though I still think it fits her, it is something I see a hackergirl being named as (more with a seudonym but alas), at least it fits her better, more than Orion does for the MC (just imagining every H-scene with the girls crying that name is hilarious and cringe and the same time)

Last edited:

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
In this thread maybe but not in general. Just use "MC" instead of the default name, less confusing. Because I normally don't know the default name of the MC's, and I think I'm not the only one.
To clarify, the problem isn't really with the MC. As you say, MC works. The problem is when rename the LI's and then come to the thread asking about (Custom Name).

gg_xx

Apr 29, 2022
To clarify, the problem isn't really with the MC. As you say, MC works. The problem is when rename the LI's and then come to the thread asking about (Custom Name).
yeah, the way MC plowed [REDACTED] was so hot in that one scene truly

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Bah, had I known when I first played the game that it would hold any kind of significance I would have left it as is, but FROM A FRESH PLAYER PERSPECTIVE "Orion" is indeed an atrocious name, more fit for someone born 150 or hell 2000 years ago than someone contemporary to us.
Can you really blame me (or anyone else) for calling it a bad name and changing it as soon as I saw it?
I wouldn't go that far. Uncommon, sure. But atrocious? In an era where a kid named "X Æ A-Xii" exists?

I dunno man, I'd rather take the antiquated name that some people in the modern day are named with over something that sounds either overdone (i.e. John, Bill, Tim) or completely unpronounceable or just a string of letters that don't make any sense.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Yes but very very few games allow to rename LI's, and I don't know why you'd want to do that. To RP with girls you know?

Reactions: Uriel ☁

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
I have seen people say that they'll rename LI's who are named the same as people they hate etc.
I would rather do it the other way around: If a LI has the same name as a person I can't stand, give it a different name so I'm not reminded of that unpleasant person.

Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

Kornilov

Aug 23, 2020
In an era where a kid named "X Æ A-Xii" exists?
That doesn't exactly help the argument, that name ("X Æ A-Xii" ) is ugly as sin and should not exist period, I pity the child that got it.
Yeah Orion is better obviously in this case, and perhaps atrocious is not the correct adjective for it, unusual doesn't cut it either but something similar or close to that. Point is that not even the greeks (contemporary ones) use that name anymore, it simply stopped being used like thousands others across history (just think latin ones you often see in roman graffiti not being used anymore) and seeing one being used in a modern setting is weird to say the least (never mind that it doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely as others), mind you that I am talking about a normal human being named that (Orion), Calypso for instance being a fantasy creature and being named that doesn't sound weird at all

4.80 star(s) 931 Votes