Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
yk what any-chan is the best wingman of mc
THE KDB TO MC's HAALAND
Sure, sure, keep deluding yourself into thinking that she's only there as a wingman even when we get to the epilogue and she ends up preggers with the rest of the harem (and likely married to Orion as well).

Meanwhile Eva will continue to rot in the side girl bar where she rightfully belongs.

• Haha
Reactions: Ungawa

fap2fap

Sep 17, 2019
Sure, sure, keep deluding yourself into thinking that she's only there as a wingman even when we get to the epilogue and she ends up preggers with the rest of the harem (and likely married to Orion as well).

Meanwhile Eva will continue to rot in the side girl bar where she rightfully belongs.
ANNNND THE WINERRRRRRRRRR OF THE BEST PLAYMAKER AWARD GOES TO MS. WINTERSSSSSSSS FOR HER ABSOLUTELY WORLDCLASS ASSIST TO THE MC, THAT MADE HIM GET LAID, I MEAN SCOREE HIS 1ST GOALLLLLL
de-bruyne-playmaker-award-lead.png

• Haha
Reactions: Hisofiao

PervyParadox

Apr 26, 2022
They are examples intended to distinguish between functional importance and character development. A character can be both functionally important and totally bland. Thus, giving examples of how functionally important a character is does nothing to establish how interesting they are. That's just not how you argue that a character is good. I'm not sure why making that point would be "unnerving" to you.
Oh boy you're really gonna make me do this again aren't you ? This is unnerving because Caribdis make well-written characters, whilst Tolkien's characters are bland and only here to serve the story and the world they're in. The fact you can't see that and compare two different style is unnerving to me because it shows you can't see the quality of character's writings, and yet still comparing them.
Shame on you for trying to poison the well like this. There is nothing wrong with people not liking the same things you do. Not everybody finds Annie particularly interesting and appealing. There is nothing wrong with that, nor with them.
I'd argue that, since most of people here likes each LI, you are the one trying to poison the well. Plus, like I said, it's all about the quality of character's writings. Annie is interesting and appealing, because she's well written. So if someone can't appreciate it, it's on them. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that "Annie is not interesting or appealing" is a false statement. She is, and if YOU or anyone else is not interested, it's not because of the character, it's on you. Say "I AM not interested" instead of "SHE IS not interesting", and I'll stop bothering you. The character is great, if anyone can't appreciate it it's on them. Not saying it's wrong, just saying the character don't need to be changed by your opinion, just as your opinion don't need to be changed by the character.

Oh, also. There's a difference between being interested and liking. Caribdis write his characters well so all of them interest me to a degree. I find Axel and Alex's father very interesting, even though I don't like them. Dislike all you want, don't be interested all you want, just stop trying to blame the character's writings and we'll be good.
I don't have a problem with the idea that Annie has some interesting traits. I feel they have been underdeveloped so far. One of the main traits that initially set Annie apart from the other characters was her enthusiasm for/knowledge of Eternum. That got leveled out as the story progressed . Now everybody's playing.
Well see that's where you're wrong. Annie is interesting not only for her enthusiasm / knowledge of Eternum, but also because she's nice. Her being a scaredy cat, and her growing out of being nervous all the time is part of the character and one other reason why she's interesting. Her trying to prove to everyone she's useful is also part of her character. There's other traits you (and probably others) don't appreciate. Maybe because you're blind to them or because you just don't find them interesting. The fact is, her enthusiasm and knowledge for Eternum is not her only interesting trait. She is different from the other LI, she has her own character traits that make her interesting.
Another thing that comes up in the detective sequence is that she is perceptive, intuitive, and empathetic. Those traits see her through that situation even when her magic powers are useless. If she's being "teed up" as another poster suggested, I hope it has something to do with that and not "she just needs to believe in herself" or "she just needs the right situation to shine/ to evolve a new power."
The issue with too much expectations is that you don't see the character but what you want them to be. That's a thing that happen to a lot of people watching or playing fictions. My view is : the fact she shows that she's perceptive and intuitive just add to the whole character. We already seen that she's empathetic before so that's not new, but my point is that it just adds to the whole character. That moment was great.
Maybe you shouldn't get so upset that other people aren't fascinated by the same characters you are. If you can't have that discussion without upsetting yourself, try doing something else. Getting mad at people for saying they don't see what you see in a fictional character isn't healthy.
Yes, I know it's not healthy. I'm trying to cope with the fact that people can't appreciate good stuff and then use bad arguments to support why said things are "not interesting". You answering me is not helping tho.

Although trying to prove to people on the internet that a fictional character they like is not interesting seem equally unhealthy. That's another example of trying to shift the blame, which I understand. People do that very often and it's difficult to get past that. Like "oh this character is very uninteresting, it's not at all because I AM not interested that I think so, it's just the character".

Nice try btw.

SerHawkes

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2017
Do you mean to tell me the guy who was defensive at me mocking Luna a few pages back is an Annie hater?
Jokes on you all. No where did I say I hated her. Simply said she was blandish and hasn't truly suremounted to anything truly memorible as of yet as of her current character/story. Could that change down the road, of course.

Also, Alex is my queen, not Loony Lunes. Get it fucking right people... sheesh.

PervyParadox

Apr 26, 2022
Jokes on you all. No where did I say I hated her. Simply said she was blandish and hasn't truly suremounted to anything truly memorible as of yet as of her current character/story. Could that change down the road, of course.

Also, Alex is my queen, not Loony Lunes. Get it fucking right people... sheesh.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
... blandish ?

Drearash

Jan 21, 2022
Oh boy you're really gonna make me do this again aren't you ?
Nobody is making you do anything.

This is unnerving because Caribdis make well-written characters, whilst Tolkien's characters are bland and only here to serve the story and the world they're in. The fact you can't see that and compare two different style is unnerving to me because it shows you can't see the quality of character's writings, and yet still comparing them.
I wasn't comparing them in the way you suggest. I was using Tolkien's characters as examples of characters who are functionally important but nonetheless uninteresting. I did this because some posters seemed to be arguing about whether Annie had done anything important in the plot as if it were a proxy for how good or interesting a character she was. Nowhere did I say that Caribdis' characters are equally bland to Tolkien's.

I'd argue that, since most of people here likes each LI, you are the one trying to poison the well.
Do you know what is meant by "poisoning the well", and do you understand why I brought it up?

Plus, like I said, it's all about the quality of character's writings. Annie is interesting and appealing, because she's well written. So if someone can't appreciate it, it's on them.
This seems to be an opinion, stated as if it were fact. Has it occured to you that reasonable people may disagree on whether Annie is interesting and appealing?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that "Annie is not interesting or appealing" is a false statement.
"Annie is not interesting or appealing" is a value judgement misstated as a fact. So is "Annie is interesting and appealing". I do not find Annie as interesting or appealing as Luna; pointing this out does not implicate me in a falsehood. Nor is it evidence of some character defect on my part.

There are people who don't find Mozart or Beethoven to be interesting or appealing; there are people who don't find Tolstoy interesting or appealing; there are people who do not find Rembrandt interesting or appealing. There is nothing presumptively wrong with such people, nor with their views. To say otherwise is just opinionated assholery.

She is, and if YOU or anyone else is not interested, it's not because of the character, it's on you. Say "I AM not interested" instead of "SHE IS not interesting", and I'll stop bothering you.
Why should anyone stop saying "Annie is not interesting or appealing" when you think it's perfectly OK to say "Annie *is* interesting or appealing"? That's just more opinionated rhetoric, insisting that you should have the privilege to state your opinions as fact while suppressing those who disagree with you.

The character is great, if anyone can't appreciate it it's on them. Not saying it's wrong,
Well, yes you are. And it makes you come off as pompous.

just saying the character don't need to be changed by your opinion, just as your opinion don't need to be changed by the character.
I have no idea why you wrote that.

Oh, also. There's a difference between being interested and liking.
Really? I didn't know that. I'm so glad you told me that, because without your brilliant insight it would never have occurred to me that those were different concepts. /sarcasm.

Caribdis write his characters well so all of them interest me to a degree. I find Axel and Alex's father very interesting, even though I don't like them. Dislike all you want, don't be interested all you want, just stop trying to blame the character's writings and we'll be good.
I have a better suggestion: stop telling me what to say. I'm not terribly concerned if you and I are good. You're just some opinionated rando on the internet who feels compelled to Me for some reason. You really need to get over your compulsion to shout down opinions that you don't agree with. It's not healthy. And it won't work.

Well see that's where you're wrong. Annie is interesting not only for her enthusiasm / knowledge of Eternum, but also because she's nice. Her being a scaredy cat, and her growing out of being nervous all the time is part of the character and one other reason why she's interesting. Her trying to prove to everyone she's useful is also part of her character. There's other traits you (and probably others) don't appreciate. Maybe because you're blind to them or because you just don't find them interesting. The fact is, her enthusiasm and knowledge for Eternum is not her only interesting trait. She is different from the other LI, she has her own character traits.
I get it. You find her interesting. She seems kinda tropey to me. I don't think Annie's terrible or anything. I'm just not that impressed or intrigued by her.

The issue with too much expectations is that you don't see the character but what you want them to be.
The issue seems to be that I don't share your opinion of the character and you feel compelled to lecture me about what's wrong with that.

That's a thing that happen to a lot of people watching or playing fictions. My view is : the fact she shows that she's perceptive and intuitive just add to the whole character. We already seen that she's empathetic before so that's not new, but my point is that just add to the whole character. That moment was great.

Yes, I know it's not healthy. I'm trying to cope with the fact that people can't appreciate good stuff and then use bad arguments to support why said things are "not interesting". You answering me is not helping tho.
Why is it that people on the internet not liking the same things you do is a problem you need to "cope with"? Do you even hear yourself?[/quote]

Nice try btw.
Meaning what?

JLucci

Mar 31, 2018
New to this game, suspect my order will be quite different than others-

1 - Annie/Dalia tied
2 - Annie/Dalia tied
3 - Nova
4 - Alex
5 - Calypso
6 - Penny

12 - Luna
54 - Nancy

These last two I enthusiastically picked the wrong answers to arrive at the grey route blocked screen as soon as possible, and was delighted once it did.
First off... AGAIN WITH THE F@$!*@! Spoilers!!! You people don't need them! JESUS #%%!!*$*! CHRIST!!! What is your borner for them!?!
We still have new people discovering the game, like the person I quoted before you. I know I'd be pissed if I saw that shit without spoilers.

Reactions: Dorfnutter

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Honestly I can keep going as I'm pretty fucking tilted right now*...but I chose to stop the convo and block as I don't want to end up having to say something that'll put me in the mods' crosshairs so.../shrugs

*Mental note to self: Don't get into an internet argument when you have 6 espressos worth of caffeine currently running in your system

Last edited:

An known

Sep 16, 2021
Honestly I can keep going as I'm pretty fucking tilted right now...but I chose to stop the convo and block as I don't want to end up having to say something that'll put me in the mods' crosshairs so.../shrugs
Yeah that's good for your health you're already losing your mind with your "Mind breaking theories" and now getting high blood from the Annie bashers, which could give you a heart problems, We don't want you ended up like... You know, Jerry :LOL:

agrdtcwa

Aug 4, 2023
She's always been a part of it.

Current guess/theory is that she doesn't have a dedicated side bar because spoilers and because her scenes are likely going to be fewer compared to the rest of the harem due to lack of events/dates that are exclusive to her (her scenes mainly exist as part of the main story or happen concurrently during main story progress, which differs from the real world harem where they have their own dedicated events and such (i.e. Luna's Day of the Dead celebration with her folks, Annie's Date in Andromeda)).

The big question though is not if she'll be a part of the harem, but rather will she still remain as a part of the harem when all is said and done?

View attachment 2894347

Because Cari keeps harping the fact that she's "different" everytime the question is asked and part of me is starting to wonder if he only meant that she's different because she exists only in Eternum at the moment...or is it because of what's going to happen to her in the future compared to the rest of the main girls?
I really hope she remains in the harem. This game makes me happy and while there might be drama over the course of the story, I really dont want a shitty downer ending. I just want my perfect ending for the MC and all the girls similar to once in a lifetime. I dont want that bittersweet bullshit in the perfect/optimal ending.

Drearash

Jan 21, 2022
I'd argue that seeing her struggle despite being a supposed veteran of Eternum already makes her far more interesting compared to how other veteran protagonist/major characters in fiction centered around MMOs are portrayed.
Even in the WRE vs. Wagner Group event we already see the typical "heroine vets curbstomp mooks" thing going on with Alex, Nova, and Luna's segments during said event (and honestly that's kinda boring once you've seen it played out in every other media that portrays the same trope), so seeing at least ONE of them legitimately not being able to show off is only going to push her hard into eventually stepping up and not just being complacent as a nuke mage vet.
That's reasonable. Characters having a problem to solve is certainly more interesting than characters not having a problem to solve.

But again, we're likely going to see that payoff later as her character arc develops further.
We'll see. Of course, simply having a problem to solve, a struggle to overcome, doesn't in itself ensure a good character arc. That depends on whether the character has to change and mature as a person to solve/overcome, or whether it's just a matter of doing a training montage/finding a thing/solving a puzzle. Fingers crossed. Maybe someday I'll be on Team Annie yet!

PervyParadox

Apr 26, 2022
Nobody is making you do anything.
This was a manner of speaking, and you know it. Cheap trick. Subtle but cheap nonetheless. Poisoning the well, uh ?
I wasn't comparing them in the way you suggest. I was using Tolkien's characters as examples of characters who are functionally important but nonetheless uninteresting. I did this because some posters seemed to be arguing about whether Annie had done anything important in the plot as if it were a proxy for how good or interesting a character she was. Nowhere did I say that Caribdis' characters are equally bland to Tolkien's.
And I'm telling you that each LI are both functionally important and still interesting. You compared them to tell us how one of the LI is as bland despite being important. Again, cheap trick.
Do you know what is meant by "poisoning the well", and do you understand why I brought it up?
Yes, but it's not accurate. I'm not attacking you, I am just telling you that people who don't find a well-written character interesting is on them, which you don't seem to understand because you think that you not being interested mean that the character is not interesting. That's just false. I'm not interested in quantum physics, yet I know, objectively, that it can be interesting for some people. This is the same here. You're saying a character is not interesting, I'm telling you she is because she has deep character traits that make her interesting and she's well written. And the fact that you or anyone is not interested don't make anything less interesting. I know how to differentiate what I like and what is good, and I know how to differentiate what is interesting and what is not. I don't like BaDIK, but I know it's good. I'm not interested in, say, Tuco from breaking bad, but I objectively think that he is interesting.

Again, check your preferences. Don't say that something is not interesting when it is. Say you're not interested. Because otherwise you risk annoying someone like me who can go off on writing novels about why you're wrong. Unless you're just joking, but that's another case entirely.
This seems to be an opinion, stated as if it were fact. Has it occured to you that reasonable people may disagree on whether Annie is interesting and appealing?
Funny, you saying a character is not interesting also seem like an opinion, stated as if it were a fact. Funny how life is, isn't it ?

You can be reasonable and be wrong. You can disagree with me and use bad arguments to support why you disagree. Reality is shaped by our beliefs and preferences, sure. But it comes from a substance as a base. The very fact that a character is well-written make them interesting. You're not interested, it's your belief and preference, not reality.
"Annie is not interesting or appealing" is a value judgement misstated as a fact. So is "Annie is interesting and appealing". I do not find Annie as interesting or appealing as Luna; pointing this out does not implicate me in a falsehood. Nor is it evidence of some character defect on my part.
It's misstated as a fact because it's presented like a fact. "Annie is not interesting or appealing" is a factual sentence. Nowhere in that sentence there's an indication that it's just your preference. I think at this point we already argued a lot in this thread about how Annie, and each and every Li in Eternum, is interesting. Saying they're not interesting is simply not true. Saying you're not interested, and why, would be more accurate.

But we're just playing with semantics here. You use "interest" as if it's factual. I don't argue with you about the "I do not find Annie as interesting or appealing as Luna" because that sentence is indeed presented like a preference, and not a fact. This is the internet, semantics is important.
There are people who don't find Mozart or Beethoven to be interesting or appealing; there are people who don't find Tolstoy interesting or appealing; there are people who do not find Rembrandt interesting or appealing. There is nothing presumptively wrong with such people, nor with their views. To say otherwise is just opinionated assholery.
No, I 100% agree. There's people who are not interested in interesting stuff. Just please try to not present your interests as a fact. Even I don't find Mozart or Beethoven interesting or appealing, yet I'm not here trying to convince people who love them that what they find interesting is not.
Why should anyone stop saying "Annie is not interesting or appealing" when you think it's perfectly OK to say "Annie *is* interesting or appealing"? That's just more opinionated rhetoric, insisting that you should have the privilege to state your opinions as fact while suppressing those who disagree with you.
As a matter of fact, I only say that said character is interesting to counterbalance someone who said they're not. When someone said Luna was the "least interesting", I went off. When someone says Annie is not interesting, I also lose it. I'm not the one who started it.

Plus I'm not suppressing anything, hardly arguing that people trying to convince others that one of the LI is not interesting seem to seek conflict and are annoying. Which I react by entering the fray. I've litterally waited 5 pages of people arguing before I decided to answer you. Before that it was all Church of Nova trying to convert other and other answering with good mood and jokes.
Well, yes you are. And it makes you come off as pompous.
No, I'm not. I'm saying that stating one preference as a fact is wrong. Especially to people who like or are interested in something I dislike or I'm not interested in.
I have no idea why you wrote that.
I have no idea why any of us write all of this shit. I guess my point is that people's preferences don't "make" the character. Only Caribdis (and people helping him maybe) make them. Therefore, the intent and the results are more important that people's preferences in the end.
Really? I didn't know that. I'm so glad you told me that, because without your brilliant insight it would never have occurred to me that those were different concepts. /sarcasm.
My pleasure, pal. /passive-agressive.
I have a better suggestion: stop telling me what to say. I'm not terribly concerned if you and I are good. You're just some opinionated rando on the internet who feels compelled to Me for some reason. You really need to get over your compulsion to shout down opinions that you don't agree with. It's not healthy. And it won't work.
I have a better suggestion : stop telling me what I need to do. You're just some rando on the internet who feels compelled to answer another rando because he disagrees with you for some reason. I'm not terribly concerned if you and I are good too. Stop answering me, I'll stop answering you. Stop attacking something I like and I'm interested in, and I'll stop defending it. Really simple, welcome to the internet.
I get it. You find her interesting. She seems kinda tropey to me. I don't think Annie's terrible or anything. I'm just not that impressed or intrigued by her.
Okay, I get it too.
The issue seems to be that I don't share your opinion of the character and you feel compelled to lecture me about what's wrong with that.
Sorry. Again it's about semantics. Maybe it wasn't your intention, and maybe that's usually not someone's intention, but the way we whare opinions and preferences actually matter. Phrasing is important. Plus we can litterally delete or change said phrases here so there's no excuses.

I know I come off strong but that's because, while I don't write here often, I read this thread a lot. Meaning that when the good mood goes away because suddenly there's like 5 pages of arguing about if a character is interesting or not, I feel it. This is almost the only thread I read, and I like to see the church of nova going crazy and all the crazy people here using memes and having crazy theories etc. That's until someone come here and stirr a pot of shit about a character.

But right, maybe I'll be better off putting images and memes and jokes about it because arguing usually lead nowhere.
Why is it that people on the internet not liking the same things you do is a problem you need to "cope with"? Do you even hear yourself?
Well no, I don't hear myself. Well I'm hearing my fingers typing the keys I'm writing with.

Just saying, if you put your opinion and preferences out there, be ready for some crazy randos to try and lecture you about it. Especially when you try to make your preference a fact.

It just seemed to me like it was annoying you, so that's just a friendly reminder that crazy randos are indeed a possibility.

Hello.
Meaning what?
Meaning you're trying to state that a character is not interesting by saying just that, while still using the argument of "it's my opinion" to try and deflect responsabilities of that claim. That's a nice try.

But maybe it wasn't your intention. Like I said it's hard to differentiate what "is" interesting and what is interesting "to me" or "to you". Even if you can differentiate that (and I don't know you so I won't assume you can't), it gets even more difficult when you communicate it, because phrasing. Even more so on the internet, since every rando who don't agree with you can react to every single word you say.

By the goddesses, that was long...
Anyway, the fire has past now. I'll try to be more candid because... pheeew.

4.80 star(s) 919 Votes