3.10 star(s) 16 Votes

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Hey, Doc. I do love all the teaser renders, but still, such torture. I do have fun thinking about what the scene could be about. I can't figure out the scene from yesterday, where Eve looks exasperated, while Niki is looking at her phone. Maybe Nikki is trying to setup a date with the MC? Or texting him naughty messages? Hmm?

I have a couple of questions, just because I am curious, and interested personally. Now that you have quite a bit of experience making games and working with Daz, and I figure have a pretty good setup, how long does it take you to make a single image, roughly.

I am assuming the steps are:

1) Gathering assets for and placing and modifying the background, furniture, and environment
2) Placing and posing the characters and the light sources
3) Rendering the image
4) Touching up the final image in Gimp or Photoshop if there is clipping, grain, brightness issues, or image defects

Are there any major steps I forgot?

Roughly, on a typical image, how long does each step take, for an experienced developer?

Thanks!

Abere Lucifer Productions

Formerly 'Doc5252 Productions'
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
Hey, Doc. I do love all the teaser renders, but still, such torture. I do have fun thinking about what the scene could be about. I can't figure out the scene from yesterday, where Eve looks exasperated, while Niki is looking at her phone. Maybe Nikki is trying to setup a date with the MC? Or texting him naughty messages? Hmm?

I have a couple of questions, just because I am curious, and interested personally. Now that you have quite a bit of experience making games and working with Daz, and I figure have a pretty good setup, how long does it take you to make a single image, roughly.

I am assuming the steps are:

1) Gathering assets for and placing and modifying the background, furniture, and environment
2) Placing and posing the characters and the light sources
3) Rendering the image
4) Touching up the final image in Gimp or Photoshop if there is clipping, grain, brightness issues, or image defects

Are there any major steps I forgot?

Roughly, on a typical image, how long does each step take, for an experienced developer?

Thanks!
First, I don't use Photoshop, because I don't know how. LOL! Everything you see in a render I'm able to do with DAZ, which shocks most folks. Besides that almost everything else is correct, well except gathering the assents. That's one of the pros to paying for assets with DAZ. Most times it's the rendering that takes the longest, but I've got a secret weapon that cuts render times down considerably. It's the reason I'm able to get the same amount of work done, with sittier hardware, in half the time of a normal dev. Posing doesn't take too long once you get the basic pose setup. A render can take anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour. There's a lot of factors that cause this. The average though is around 20-40 minutes.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
First, I don't use Photoshop, because I don't know how. LOL! Everything you see in a render I'm able to do with DAZ, which shocks most folks. Besides that almost everything else is correct, well except gathering the assents. That's one of the pros to paying for assets with DAZ. Most times it's the rendering that takes the longest, but I've got a secret weapon that cuts render times down considerably. It's the reason I'm able to get the same amount of work done, with sittier hardware, in half the time of a normal dev. Posing doesn't take too long once you get the basic pose setup. A render can take anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour. There's a lot of factors that cause this. The average though is around 20-40 minutes.
Great. Thanks for the info. It's great you don't need it. But Photoshop and Gimp (which I use because it's free) is pretty easy for simple things, like tweaking lighting, smoothing, pasting over artifacts, that sort of thing. It's great that you can do all that with Daz without having to do postprocessing.

If you were to estimate, how long does it take for dropping assets into the scene, posing, and setting their facial expressions? I am just curious, as it seems like it would be the most challenging part; to make everything look so lifelike, rather than just stuck in there like you see with some games. Do you have a bunch of favorite poses and facial expressions saved, and then just tweak it for the scene? Are we talking 5-10 minutes, or 30-40 minutes for posing out a scene?

I am just thinking of trying it myself, and wondering how long it all takes once you get some experience and get over the learning curve. Thanks again.

Game Developer
May 31, 2017
Great. Thanks for the info. It's great you don't need it. But Photoshop and Gimp (which I use because it's free) is pretty easy for simple things, like tweaking lighting, smoothing, pasting over artifacts, that sort of thing. It's great that you can do all that with Daz without having to do postprocessing.

If you were to estimate, how long does it take for dropping assets into the scene, posing, and setting their facial expressions? I am just curious, as it seems like it would be the most challenging part; to make everything look so lifelike, rather than just stuck in there like you see with some games. Do you have a bunch of favorite poses and facial expressions saved, and then just tweak it for the scene? Are we talking 5-10 minutes, or 30-40 minutes for posing out a scene?

I am just thinking of trying it myself, and wondering how long it all takes once you get some experience and get over the learning curve. Thanks again.
The time for adding assets to a scene depends on your PC and the size of the assent. Usually not more than a minutes though.

Once you set the scene up it takes if at most a few minutes to do the facial expressions and poses. There's presets for DAZ and you can just click on it and the face will change automatically. It's the same thing with posing characters. You do have to tweak things a bit though even if you use a preset.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
The time for adding assets to a scene depends on your PC and the size of the assent. Usually not more than a minutes though.

Once you set the scene up it takes if at most a few minutes to do the facial expressions and poses. There's presets for DAZ and you can just click on it and the face will change automatically. It's the same thing with posing characters. You do have to tweak things a bit though even if you use a preset.
Thanks for the info. I should do some more experimenting. I tried making a few renders in Daz awhile back, and it looked horrible. I'll watch some more online tutorials.

Game Developer
May 31, 2017
Thanks for the info. I should do some more experimenting. I tried making a few renders in Daz awhile back, and it looked horrible. I'll watch some more online tutorials.
Try to find a dev who streams his DAZ work online. That's how I learned. The thing is is I don't know any that do that anymore. I'm sure there's a few though. DAZ is a little hard to get used to at first but once you get a hold of it it becomes much easier. Though it is so detailed and has so many options I still learn things to this day about it.

Reactions: Smarmint

Game Developer
May 31, 2017
I'm finishing up the last few pages of the script for the second half of Extra Credit 0.6b. I'm hoping to finish it up on Friday. It could be tomorrow though. I'd say it's about 80% done. Y'all are gonna like this update. There's a scene...I don't want to spoil it. You'll see what I mean. Time wise, so far so good. I'm still on schedule. I think it's because I really enjoy writing lines for Niki. She's just so outrageous and fun I just have a blast writing her story. I'm mean there's a reason the vast majority of the story is about her and Eve. It was by accident though. It was not originally supposed to be like that. Anyway, stay tuned....
3.png

Reactions: pgm_01
3.10 star(s) 16 Votes