Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
Hey there, I might be missing something really obvious, but when ever the app gets an update and I try to download it via the program, the update does its thing and then nothing happens, after three minutes i expect the program to open again but it doesn't. When I open the program again (even though it says not to) it asks me to update again, is there anyway to fix this? nothing has changed basically.
I'm still getting the same issue, I did a clean update/new install last time as I was told this would make it automatically update the next time, but with the newest update that was rolled out I tried to auto-updater again and the same thing happens. It tries to update, the shell shows up, does literally nothing, closes and nothing open up again, does the program have to be ran as admin and/or does the program need to be installed on the same drive as the OS? auto updater has never worked for me, not once. I was wondering why my program keeps fucking up since this is most likely a user error at this point.

oldshoe

Mar 7, 2020
I just did the update, my AVG virus checker really didn't like it, but it seems to have gone through anyway as I'm now version 10.

Also out of interest, your program is more often than not how I find that F95 is down or doing a backup, 100% of the time if your program fails a check it's because of an issue at their end.

Reactions: WillyJL

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I'm still getting the same issue, I did a clean update/new install last time as I was told this would make it automatically update the next time, but with the newest update that was rolled out I tried to auto-updater again and the same thing happens. It tries to update, the shell shows up, does literally nothing, closes and nothing open up again, does the program have to be ran as admin and/or does the program need to be installed on the same drive as the OS? auto updater has never worked for me, not once. I was wondering why my program keeps fucking up since this is most likely a user error at this point.
Ok, so the PowerShell console shows, and that it seems to do nothing is also correct. So the most likely cause would be that the script that PowerShell is executing fails to delete the contents of your installed version. It doesn't need to be installed on the same drive as the OS, mine is on a different drive too and the updater ran without any issue for me.

If the PowerShell console shows, I assume step 1 and 2 (downloading and extracting) didn't produce an error?
This is likely a long-shot, but when is the last time you looked at the contents of your %temp% folder?
Unless you're in the habit of running Disk Cleanup on a regular bases, this folder tends to contain a lot of junk that should have been removed, but often times is left behind.

Try running Disk Cleanup or manually delete the contents of the %temp% folder (you'll get a prompt that some files are in use, so you have to grant permission to skip those files by ticking the checkbox). Not saying this will solve the issue, but at the least you'll get rid of a lot of left-behind junk.

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
Ok, so the PowerShell console shows, and that it seems to do nothing is also correct. So the most likely cause would be that the script that PowerShell is executing fails to delete the contents of your installed version. It doesn't need to be installed on the same drive as the OS, mine is on a different drive too and the updater ran without any issue for me.

If the PowerShell console shows, I assume step 1 and 2 (downloading and extracting) didn't produce an error?
This is likely a long-shot, but when is the last time you looked at the contents of your %temp% folder?
Unless you're in the habit of running Disk Cleanup on a regular bases, this folder tends to contain a lot of junk that should have been removed, but often times is left behind.

Try running Disk Cleanup or manually delete the contents of the %temp% folder (you'll get a prompt that some files are in use, so you have to grant permission to skip those files by ticking the checkbox). Not saying this will solve the issue, but at the least you'll get rid of a lot of left-behind junk.
So yeah I don't run disk clean often enough so that might be it! The temp folder you are talking about, it is the one in appdata/local? or is it located else where?

Plus, does it matter if I change the name of the folder? I have been calling it just 1.f95Checker so it is at the top of the folder.
either way, I have to wait till the next update comes out to check if it is still and issue.

edit: I dont get any errors at any point, not in shell, not when i open up the program again. nothing gets deleted or added as far as I can see.

Last edited:

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
So yeah I don't run disk clean often enough so that might be it! The temp folder you are talking about, it is the one in appdata/local? or is it located else where?

Plus, does it matter if I change the name of the folder? I have been calling it just 1.f95Checker so it is at the top of the folder.
either way, I have to wait till the next update comes out to check if it is still and issue.

edit: I dont get any errors at any point, not in shell, not when i open up the program again. nothing gets deleted or added as far as I can see.
The regular temp folders we all know and love so much: C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp. There is no temp folder in appdata.

The folder's name should not matter, mine is [_ F95 Checker].

If you are still having issues, you could try a manual update by physically deleting the folder, downloading, and installing from scratch. Edit: The app's data is in appdata.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
The temp folder you are talking about, it is the one in appdata/local? or is it located else where?
Yes, that is the one. Just type %temp% in an explorer's address bar, it'll open in your temp folder.

Plus, does it matter if I change the name of the folder?
It doesn't, I've tried it myself with your folder name and it still updated.

You could always try and download an older release from to experiment

There is no temp folder in appdata
Actually there is... each user has it's own temp folder at C:\Windows\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Temp ...
The folders you mentioned do exist, but C:\Temp is very likely empty and C:\Windows\Temp contains system event logs.
Plus he knows about manual updating, that's what he's been doing all this time...

Last edited:

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
The regular temp folders we all know and love so much: C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp. There is no temp folder in appdata.

The folder's name should not matter, mine is [_ F95 Checker].

If you are still having issues, you could try a manual update by physically deleting the folder, downloading, and installing from scratch. Edit: The app's data is in appdata.
1.There is a folder in appdata/local/temp and I was guessing since %temp% leads to that place, that it is there and not in the windows folder, hence why I was asking whether it was that one or the other.

2.Thanks! I was worried that might have been the issue, now I can go back to naming it what i want again!

3. I did that with the standard folder first time around, that didnt work, this time I tried to delete the appdata folder, but that also remove my entire list of games, in which there are now a lot (lol) so if that is the issue, I'll rather just download manually.

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
Thanks for the help guys! I deleted the %temp% content and saw a bunch of folder called f95checker(insert version) and some other stuff, here is hoping it works next time the app gets updated! if not I will probably be back to see if anyone can help again, or I might just live with having to update it manually! (and I hope I didnt delete something important in the temp folder) :LUL:

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
3. I did that with the standard folder first time around, that didnt work, this time I tried to delete the appdata folder, but that also remove my entire list of games, in which there are now a lot (lol) so if that is the issue, I'll rather just download manually.
WHAT?? Don't delete the appdata folder!!! Just the contents of the temp folder

Thanks for the help guys! I deleted the %temp% content
Pfew... you had me scared for a moment ;)
And no, that folder never has any important stuff, like the name implies it's all just temporary files created by running programs.

Last edited:

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
Actually there is... each user has it's own temp folder at C:\Windows\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Temp ...
The folders you mentioned do exist, but C:\Temp is very likely empty and C:\Windows\Temp contains system event logs.
Plus he knows about manual updating, that's what he's been doing all this time...
1.There is a folder in appdata/local/temp and I was guessing since %temp% leads to that place, that it is there and not in the windows folder, hence why I was asking whether it was that one or the other.
Hmmm...you are correct. I sit corrected.

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
RPC issue Solved! (will leave the report here, just in case...)

Just tried to Update from 6.2.1 to 10.0 and... nothing. Just didn't came up again (waited for 10 minutes).
Tried to start F95Checker-Debug via terminal and... nothing. No log, no output and after a few minutes it just returned (crashed?) to the prompt.
Tried F95Checker-Debug from a new clean 10.0 copy... same nothing.
Deleted all unnecessary in /tmp (at least one empty F95Checker folder and a .lock-file).
F95Checker-Debug again and... got a window... and an RPC error popup (text added below). Closed the Checker and terminal mentioned a type of memory access error (below too).
Started F95Checker-Debug again... same RPC error. Closed it... no memory access error (seems that Speicherzugriffsfehler is not related)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

about an hour to get, identify and solve the RPC issue, but no clue how that update failed in that way

Last edited:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Just wanted to drop a quick message to thank WillyJL for his endless work on this tool and for adding us as a download source. It was a pretty awesome christmas present tbh. Added a quick note linking back and thanking you too

If anyone runs into issues with the torrents be sure and let me know!

• Red Heart

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
about an hour to get, identify and solve the RPC issue, but no clue how that update failed in that way
Also clueless on how it got that bad, but still it shows the determination and troubleshooting skills that being a Linux user teaches you :D good job!

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
So FaceCrap and GrammerCop mostly answered the questions and gave some good tips, but I’ll summarize my thoughts too.

Folder name should not be a problem. As a rule of thumb the more you mess with computers you tend to try to avoid weird file paths, such as spaces and weird characters (mainly $%#?!*^={}@"'&/\<> and anything that isn’t ASCII (google is your friend)), because they tend to lead to nasty bugs when not handled properly. However that does not mean that they are impossible to handle properly, and that’s why I do everything with standard libraries made exactly to avoid such problems. And anyway numbers and dots don’t constitute a problem usually.

Clearing the %temp% folder is good advice, it tens to get cluttered very quickly on windows, while on something like Linux the /tmp folder is made in a smart way where it’s actually stored in ram so it clears at every restart. Even though it’s good advice, I personally don’t think it’s the issue here, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

Following your original report I had added some status messages and hopefully error messages to the update script, but FaceCrap made me notice that the shell itself has output suppressed so it’s completely useless, that’s why you see nothing in the shell window. I will fix that and make a dummy build so you can use it to try to “update” 10.0

I’d rule off user error, you’re doing nothing wrong, I’d attribute this to some weird windows quirk. Last thing that comes to mind is running a chkdsk scan.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Just wanted to drop a quick message to thank WillyJL for his endless work on this tool and for adding us as a download source. It was a pretty awesome christmas present tbh. Added a quick note linking back and thanking you too

If anyone runs into issues with the torrents be sure and let me know!
And thanks to you for making such a great platform! Keep it up!

• Red Heart
Reactions: RPDL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
GERTRUD12 i have made which should fix the update console output, and is still marked as a 10.0 beta so it will try to "update" to public 10.0 stable, but with the new update script. please try that and see what it says in there

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
not sure if this is right...
View attachment 2281917
Hm yeah well it uses the time stamp setting, which by is intended to, and by default does, show both the date and time, so I used that in order to also give an idea as to the time of the upload while the main point was the date. But you have changed the time stamp format so it was affected here too. I will hardcode it then

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Whenever I try to add the path of any exe file I get this error:
View attachment 2281969
And then the app crashes. Any idea what this is?
The error is quite clear. “PermissionError” “Access is denied ‘H:\’”. Opening the file picker it defaults to showing the H:\ drive, which I’m guessing is where you put your f95checker, and it doesn’t have permission to read that folder. On one hand it shouldn’t crash for a permission error, but instead say “hey I can’t access this folder” and allow you to change folder, which I will fix soon, but also it’s quite clear what the problem is.

Reactions: Brine_Basilisk
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes