3.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
Dude, I get that lifespan is important and all, and I agree he should've mentioned the side effect of setting the pagefile on the SSD, but like half the benefit of having an SSD is setting a page file on it so the system can use extra memory when it needs it.

Sure, OL isn't the only program that uses it, but I doubt many people use a lot of programs that take up this much RAM anyway.

Also, he has 16GB of RAM like me, so I really doubt that his computer will ever actually use the pagefile...

For example, I have my pagefile set to system managed on my C drive and it only allocated around 4.5GB of pagefile by itself, meaning that it doesn't really want any more, and I use video editing software on the regular with large files...which takes up more RAM than games usually do as far as I'm aware
Games will cause system to use pagefile, especially if you have other programs running in background.

I don't think video editing software is heavy RAM user, 3D modeling software is. However the size of page file is not really that important here but how much it is being written to. I think games are exceptionally good at doing that.

Diabling pagefile is one of the worst things to do to the system and can easily cause instabilities and crashes, just like the initial poster is having. You are also far too concerned about the lifespan of an SSD, they go obsolete faster than they die. How large is your 10yo SSD, 128GB? They cost pennies nowadays so don't torture yourself, SSD's are there to be used. And at 86% durability you still have a couple of decades left.

That having said, the lower the size, the generally less durability SSDs have, so from a perspective of a 128GB SSD owner the concerns of putting a 16GB pagefiles are probably justified.. maybe, because the danger to SSD's nowadays is just filling it up too much and 128gb isn't much to begin with.
It is but it also 1200 write disk so its 4 times as durable as the pennies disks.
What is the torture the really ? lack of pagefile doesn't make your system slower, the contrary if anything. If you have good spec pagefile is nothing but outdated concept.

My system is stable tyvm. The cash happens for OL because of poor programming not because of lack of pagefile.

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
Diabling pagefile is one of the worst things to do to the system and can easily cause instabilities and crashes, just like the initial poster is having. You are also far too concerned about the lifespan of an SSD, they go obsolete faster than they die. How large is your 10yo SSD, 128GB? They cost pennies nowadays so don't torture yourself, SSD's are there to be used. And at 86% durability you still have a couple of decades left.

That having said, the lower the size, the generally less durability SSDs have, so from a perspective of a 128GB SSD owner the concerns of putting a 16GB pagefiles are probably justified.. maybe, because the danger to SSD's nowadays is just filling it up too much and 128gb isn't much to begin with.
Hell even on a 128GB SSD with a 360 write limit (lowest I could find on a cheap SSD with a quick Google) you could write 20 TB a day to the disk for a little over six years. Given that reads to writes in pagefile are like 40:1 it doesn't seem like it's going to contribute to this very much.

This was more of an issue back when wear levelling algorithms and OS level awareness of SSDs were both more limited but it's just kind of persisted as an urban tech myth anyway.

My system is stable tyvm. The crash happens for OL because of poor programming not because of lack of pagefile.
If you disable pagefile and the system runs out of memory apps will crash, that might be due to inefficient memory usage on behalf of the devs but almost all devs work on the presumption that if you request some memory you'll get it so chances are the application will just hard crash when that doesn't hold true.

As for your comments regarding Windows writing to pagefile all the time it does this to free up RAM, by moving the background apps that aren't doing anything out of RAM and into the pagefile. This isn't inherently bad. That "free" RAM isn't idle, it's being used by the OS for file system caching. You can see this in task manager if you click memory and look at the "cached" bit, it should be roughly equivalent to your available memory.

TL;DR at best disabling pagefile is going to result in weird behaviour in a few niche use cases, like running a VM, and it will reduce the available RAM for file system caching. At it's worst it will cause hard crashes. For 99.99% of users the best advice is to leave it the hell alone and let their OS manage memory usage.

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
If you disable pagefile and the system runs out of memory apps will crash, that might be due to inefficient memory usage on behalf of the devs but almost all devs work on the presumption that if you request some memory you'll get it so chances are the application will just hard crash when that doesn't hold true.

TL;DR at best disabling pagefile is going to result in weird behaviour in a few niche use cases, like running a VM, and it will reduce the available RAM for file system caching. At it's worst it will cause hard crashes. For 99.99% of users the best advice is to leave it the hell alone and let their OS manage memory usage.
That will only really happen if you run something really demanding while also having other applications running, otherwise just doesn't happen. Also you will get warned about lack of memory so you know why the crash happened.

As for your comments regarding Windows writing to pagefile all the time it does this to free up RAM, by moving the background apps that aren't doing anything out of RAM and into the pagefile. This isn't inherently bad. That "free" RAM isn't idle, it's being used by the OS for file system caching. You can see this in task manager if you click memory and look at the "cached" bit, it should be roughly equivalent to your available memory.
I think programs run from SSD do not need be catched in pagefile and when the pagefile is on HDD it an actual sabotage. During light use it has no business writing to pagefile. Finally the longer PC is running the more crap it keeps in the pagefile and just slows loads down. Tell me why it is processing pagefile when i want to close the system ? If i want to close the system without pagefile it will close in few seconds regardless how long it was running. But with pagefile it can go into minutes of processing crap.

Is there a way to monitor how much data was written to pagefile? (not talking size but usage, if system would take 1MB and rewrite it 100 times then it would write 100MB, i would want to track that amount ) I'm kinda curious now and could experiment .

Last edited:

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
That will only really happen if you run something really demanding while also having other applications running, otherwise just doesn't happen. Also you will get warned about lack of memory so you know why the crash happened.
Whether you get told the reason for the crash, and how useful that error message actually is for a standard user, will depend on the application. Some may just crash silently and others may pop an error that looks completely unrelated. Some may even manage to survive it and keep going, perhaps with a slight knock on performance or with some weird behaviour.

I think programs run from SSD do not need be catched in pagefile and when the pagefile is on HDD it an actual sabotage. During light use it has no business writing to pagefile. Finally the longer PC is running the more crap it keeps in the pagefile and just slows loads down.
I mean, yeah, if you're putting your pagefile on HDD it's not a great idea. It's generally a bunch of small random reads which is ideal for an SSD but the complete opposite of what you want to use an HDD for.

Whether or not the program itself is running from an SSD or HDD is somewhat irrelevant though, Windows isn't closing minimized apps and reloading them to their prior state from SSD if you disable pagefile. It's keeping them in RAM and taking up space that would otherwise be used for filesystem caching.

Tell me why it is processing pagefile when i want to close the system ? If i want to close the system without pagefile it will close in few seconds regardless how long it was running. But with pagefile it can go into minutes of processing crap.
Because you have (or had) "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile" enabled, .

In fact if you, or any "optimization" tools you've downloaded, have fiddled with stuff like this I'd probably just do a clean install rather than try and work out exactly what has gone wrong and where.

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
So I downloaded the 0.49 version and when I try to launch it it redirects me to Steam. What do I do?
On the first page click the spoiler labelled "How to install cracked Harem version:", I suspect the bit you missed is starting with launch.bat or KiritoMod049.exe.

Reactions: edhorren

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
Whether you get told the reason for the crash, and how useful that error message actually is for a standard user, will depend on the application. Some may just crash silently and others may pop an error that looks completely unrelated. Some may even manage to survive it and keep going, perhaps with a slight knock on performance or with some weird behaviour.

I mean, yeah, if you're putting your pagefile on HDD it's not a great idea. It's generally a bunch of small random reads which is ideal for an SSD but the complete opposite of what you want to use an HDD for.

Whether or not the program itself is running from an SSD or HDD is somewhat irrelevant though, Windows isn't closing minimized apps and reloading them to their prior state from SSD if you disable pagefile. It's keeping them in RAM and taking up space that would otherwise be used for filesystem caching.

Because you have (or had) "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile" enabled, .

In fact if you, or any "optimization" tools you've downloaded, have fiddled with stuff like this I'd probably just do a clean install rather than try and work out exactly what has gone wrong and where.
Depends on how quickly app wants the virtual memory but generally system should warn you about low memory before the app actually crashes.

I have that option disabled but i have no memory of ever messing with it. Maybe it is disabled because i have no pagefile atm and if i would set one up it would auto enable? I will keep eye on that setting if i would mess with pagefile in future again, thanks.

It's been too much off-topic, let's zip it up.

Last edited:

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
Yikes, when you are advising someone that clearly doesn't know what he is doing you need to inform him what are the potential risks of what you are suggesting him to do.

There is no myth here. What you are referring as myth is the expectation that average user will reach the cell lifetime limit before reaching the write limit. It is fact that SSD have limited amount of writes - the initial ones i believe had 5000 writes then it quickly was trimmed down to 1200 then 600 and now you have ones with 300 write limit.
1TB +600 write limit - you probably can't reach the write cycle limit, 128gb+300write limit - you sure can.
I know everything will break/stop working at some point.
What I don't know is the technical aspect of this but I have real life experience to compensate for it.
To put it simple:
  • I bought an ssd several years ago(5 years ago, according to CrystalDiskInfo)
  • Immediately installed windows on it
  • I've been using it eversince and my system is on 24/7
  • I never changed pagefile settings and I rarely do system restarts(because of driver updates, mostly for graphics card but I sometimes ignore/skip some versions if I don't need that specific update)
  • I played(and still play) a lot of performance heavy games on it

I've never encountered any slowdowns or ssd errors so far.
So, even without knowing the technical details such as life expectency of an ssd, it is safe to say using pagefile won't break any ssd's.

Pagefile is also the most write intensive task for average user.
Average computer user browses internet, rarely opens office programs if they need and maybe plays an online game every once in a while to have fun with friends, I don't understand why you think windows would be using pagefile instead of ram for any of that, unless the computer in question has only 4 gb of ram or something.

Back to the topic, playing fallendoll on an ssd with pagefile enabled won't cause any problems, but without pagefile you risk hard system crash followed by the dreaded blue screen of death. All because this "game" is an unoptimized garbage. So you should never rely on a dev for perfectly optimizing their games for your pagefileless unusual system.

Last edited:

Nikonikos

Apr 30, 2020
On the first page click the spoiler labelled "How to install cracked Harem version:", I suspect the bit you missed is starting with launch.bat or KiritoMod049.exe.
  1. If you are using the steam version of the game (not the demo), make a copy and modify that!
  2. Go to the root folder and delete everything except the Paralogue and Engine folders.
  3. Go to Paralogue\Binaries\Win64 and delete everything
  4. Go back to the root and extract the zip there
  5. If it asks if you want to overwrite steam_api64.dll press yes.
  6. If it did not ask then you are doing something wrong.
  7. Start with Launch.bat or Paralogue\Binaries\Win64\KiritoMod049.exe

I know this might sound stupid but I don't understand the instructions. It asks me to delete everything except Paralogue and Engine. then delete everything in Win64. Then i need to extract the zip in "root" (wtf is ROOT, i assume main game folder with the Paralogue and Engine folders). But what do I extract ? The exact same zip file of the 0.49 game version (Harem Cracked) ??? I don't understand these instructions, they are confusing

NerickZ

May 19, 2022
Back to the topic, playing fallendoll on an ssd with pagefile enabled won't cause any problems, but without pagefile you risk hard system crash followed by the dreaded blue screen of death. All because this "game" is an unoptimized garbage. So you should never rely on a dev for perfectly optimizing their games for your pagefileless unusual system.
Consumer SSDs (unless it's some horrible piece of crap) have life expectancy, on the low end, in the low hundreds of TB. On the high end, over 1000TB. Reads are free. Example, my main OS/game drive, a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB I installed in 2020: 22,933GB Written, 44,464GB Read. Rated endurance: 600TB. The higher the capacity the more write endurance. SSDs are over-provisioned with NAND flash chips specifically to make up for failing/failed sectors.

To the person worried about it. You can try a program like CrystalDiskInfo if you want to see how many writes your SSD has completed, if the controller keeps track, some don't.

Point is, don't worry about it.

Edit: Went back two pages and the only points kind of glossed over was the "writes" numbers without the designation of what "writes" means in terms of size.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018
So in light of Stadia being (predictably) axed last week, anyone have any speculation on who Helius has supposedly contracted to host the asset streaming part of Harem mode in his misguided anti-piracy attempt? It can't be one of the major players, but has to be a company with big enough to support that kind of content and infrastructure.

Only one I can think of at the moment is DMM, but also in light of R18 being forced to shut down because payment processors bending to pressure from Exodus Cry, I have to wonder if they're next on the chopping block.

BananaJK

May 15, 2018
  1. If you are using the steam version of the game (not the demo), make a copy and modify that!
  2. Go to the root folder and delete everything except the Paralogue and Engine folders.
  3. Go to Paralogue\Binaries\Win64 and delete everything
  4. Go back to the root and extract the zip there
  5. If it asks if you want to overwrite steam_api64.dll press yes.
  6. If it did not ask then you are doing something wrong.
  7. Start with Launch.bat or Paralogue\Binaries\Win64\KiritoMod049.exe

I know this might sound stupid but I don't understand the instructions. It asks me to delete everything except Paralogue and Engine. then delete everything in Win64. Then i need to extract the zip in "root" (wtf is ROOT, i assume main game folder with the Paralogue and Engine folders). But what do I extract ? The exact same zip file of the 0.49 game version (Harem Cracked) ??? I don't understand these instructions, they are confusing
Skip to step 7 if you didn't use steam version that all.
It's pretty unclear to mention steam version and already crack version that you can download on first page.

Zuul

Dec 2, 2016
It will all become much more public once the game hits Steam officially. IF it ever does at this point. Right now the only place you can criticize them is on their Patreon, which you have to pay them to even post. Their Discord (which they delete the message and ban you), the Steam beta discussions (Which they delete the message and ban you) or here which they can't touch but the game is still bloated with early 5 star reviews and doesn't have a proper rating anymore. With Steam being the public facing method of obtaining the full game, no one will buy it when the reviews are all negative. I'm sure they'll still sanitize the discussions like the scum they are but the reviews will show in the end.
Steam is where games like these thrive, it's not where they go to die by public execution.

Look at nearly every major controversial H-game that's made it to that platform, they're doing fantastically over there because it's an influx of players who have no clue what the development history was like, and they're molded by Steam H-game standards so they think those games are revolutionarily good.

Mainstream exposure is not the ally you seem to think it is, as soon as this game hits Steam all the criticisms, lies, and broken promises will get swept away by the easily impressed masses who don't have any context for why they should dislike the game and/or developers and anyone who tries to spread that context to them will be shrugged off as simply being a hater.

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
Steam is where games like these thrive, it's not where they go to die by public execution.

Look at nearly every major controversial H-game that's made it to that platform, they're doing fantastically over there because it's an influx of players who have no clue what the development history was like, and they're molded by Steam H-game standards so they think those games are revolutionarily good.

Mainstream exposure is not the ally you seem to think it is, as soon as this game hits Steam all the criticisms, lies, and broken promises will get swept away by the easily impressed masses who don't have any context for why they should dislike the game and/or developers and anyone who tries to spread that context to them will be shrugged off as simply being a hater.
There are plenty of half assed h-game projects on Steam sitting on mixed/negative reviews after launching with limited content so I don't think it's a safe bet that this game would get destroyed in Steam reviews but if it launches in something akin to its current state, which seems all but inevitable, I wouldn't rule it out either.

Remember this is an h-game with a weird multiplayer system plus a season pass and microtransaction focus. Throw in them seemingly abandoning any hope of adding any gameplay systems to it and I think there's a fair chance of a negative reception.

Perhaps they'll unveil the combat drill mode and it will be some beautifully crafted masterpiece, or at least introduce a competent gameplay loop so OL isn't just a glorified UE5 animation viewer, but it seems unlikely given that all they've mentioned in their recent "rebuild" posts are basic multiplayer functions that nobody really cares about and new assets/map.

3.80 star(s) 63 Votes