VN Ren'Py Abandoned Fallen Roads [v0.2] [Boketto Games]

3.70 star(s) 32 Votes

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
It is said in this thread that MC BEAT THE SHHT OUTTA THE RAPIST RIGHT THEN AND THERE!
Yet Ava never went after him, never pursued her BF who BEAT THAT RAPIST MOFO!
What did you want MC to do?
Beg her to come back after she went to a drugs and alcohool party to get wasted
and tell everybody she was single, all the while she purposefully left MC hanging?
Here's my theory, below is a screenshot from the intro movie. Thats where she was raped. She cheated and after getting caught by mc, she went back to drugs and alcohol. Meaning she met a lot of sketchy people and was, unfortunately, raped. Hence, the pepper spray and twitching.
View attachment 1445400
It's also something to note that during chapter 2, when Ava was retelling her experience, why didn't the MC ask the simple question "Why/How did you go upstairs with him?"Then that would lead to "did he drag you? Force you in any way to go?" Maybe that question will arise later on but the answer should be interesting nonetheless
Honestly I think the story now implying that ava didn't do anything/was assaulted ruins her story for me. She is a much more interesting character if she did cheat and now has to live with the consequences and try to win the MC back. Now it feels like we're being lead to feel sorry for her instead of making the choice for the MC to forgive her or move on.
Still dont like Ava she went with the guy to the bedroom , she was almost going to cheat in MC until she remembered his name, MC asked her not to go to the party and she went, and something tells me she wasnt just raped since she woke up naked by the other guy side and was with him like they just had a great night. And even if she was raped still dont like her because of what she did before that. Also Annie i like her i think her reaction was wrong tho she should had listen MC version as well and i think something bad or wrong will happen with whatever job she will have i dont trust any of the characters so far because i think more bad things will happen
Yea now its basically NICE JOB MC, you got mad and yelled at a girl who was drugged and raped so now you get to feel like a piece of shit
I just wanted to know that did Ava get raped by Bryce? or did Bryce make it look like they had sex.
Ava says raped
Seriously?

Weasel_Face

Sep 16, 2020
I deal with depression every day and am Haunted by my past every waking moment of my life (all 58 yrs). I can totally relate to the MC and his drowning scenes as all too frequently I wish I would never wake up the next morning... As a player, I have zero interest in both Annie & Ava. Annie, arguably your best friend dated Dick, one of your childhood bullies so getting her cooter stuffed means more to her than MC does even though she witnessed the past. (what a betrayal to supposedly a best friend) And although Ava may not know your past with Bryce, why is she getting fucked up at the party without bringing MC? (and she get's fucked up despite MC's request for her to take it easy [molly aside])

Honestly, I want to leave the road trip and get with priest sister girl or drug wife after we stuff the kid into a suitcase with a cinder block and dump it into a creek... (Not seriously, but why can't she have a rebellious 16 y/o daughter instead?)

Raife

May 16, 2018
It's too early for a review of this game, at least for me, but it's interesting so far. There's not much room for player agency yet -- choices don't mean much -- but I've decided to (optimistically) treat the first two chapters as an extended prologue. I certainly understand others' annoyance at being forced into situations, such as the extended road trip with the two imperfect LIs.

But... I like the characters. The MC and the two main LIs are flawed people (like most people, in real life) and have made terrible/stupid/self-destructive decisions, but have decent sides as well. From the player's perspective, they are all unreliable to a degree -- I'm not entirely sure whether we can trust the MCs memories -- but that makes them interesting. I'm curious to see the way the story goes.

It's also interesting that so many people seem to prefer Mary Sue/Gary Stu character archetypes, rather than what the Dev has created in this game. My guess is that it's because people play these games as an escape, in order to relax and feel a bit better about themselves... rather than be reminded of their own mistakes. I tend to prefer games like this one, which keep me guessing about the characters and ambiguous motivations. But to each his own.

• Angry
Reactions: holaje12

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
There is this thing called novel where thoughts are laid bare for us to see.
There is no hidden trait, every character says and thinks in the open,
just like reading a book, but having a holographic depiction jump off the page.

There is no guesswork as to the fact that Ava chose her friends over her boyfriend.
That in itself is a major turn off IRL or, rather, it better be, as you cannot be together
with someone who is going her separate way every so often.
Ava was solo, she wanted to be this femme fatale to steal the show from the host of the party.
There is a game around here where MC plain blank tells his friends there are rapists
looking for her, yet she goes and gets raped because ... reasons.

Here also, she is warned by someone who is expected to draw a deffinitive conclusion:
Should you go to the party where my bully wants to bang you to spite me,
you are out of my life!
Period.
What you do and /or get done to by my bully is on you! Did I tell you he beat me up?
Oh, wait, YOU WERE THERE AND YOU DID NOT CARE,
EXACTLY LIKE YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT ME ONE BIT RIGHT NOW.

Weasel_Face

Sep 16, 2020
I just look at myself, my girlfriend was gang raped on her way to see me one night, I would have paid for a cab to get her there and I assumed she would take a bus but she stuck her thumb out instead and was beaten half to death and left on the railroad tracks to die... We later went out for a night of healing and she ran into the perpetrators and said nothing to me, I was ex military and a biker at the time but she didn't narc them out cause I would have killed them, being I was packing... She is now a lost soul and so am I. I would gladly trade time inside for the hell she still endures for some closure for her! She is a severe drug addict and has had 2 kids taken away by cfs and my body is covered with tattoos in homage to her...

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
What about MC”s past. Is that so irrelevant?
The fact both babes in the same car as MC,
both of them WERE FRIENDS WITH AND CRUSHED ON HIS BULLIES??
Is that of no circumstance at all?
I think the whole premise is that we are dealing with damaged people who don't think like most people.

I think the Dev is going for an emotional rollercoaster full of twists and turns, but he might have made that first turn a bit too sharp. I don't think anything will turn out to be a coincidence.

Personally, I think it was a mistake that this latest update didn't reveal what actually happened in the bedroom. Leaving people speculating doesn't seem to be working out that well.

This ^^^^^^

Last edited:

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
Wow... kind of hard to follow that comment weasel...

But anyway.

I think there has to be some sort of trust between the writer/developer and we, the players. Where the things you show me and tell me have to make sense or be true, otherwise its hard to stick with a story. If you drop a ball, it has to hit the ground, you can't have gravity one minute, and turn it off the next to fit your narrative.... then back on again when it suits.

If the current story is how the Dev visioned it from the beginning, and they are just crying out for our patience so that we can see his bigger picture, than great.

But to most of us here chiming in, we have followed the cookie trail and have come to a conclusion that was laid out and now we are told that is wrong.

I'd suggest going back over the story notes get centered on the story that you wanted to tell...

It might mean that you'd have to go back and rewrite parts of Chapters 1 and 2, not just try to fix it on the fly (how the end result of chapter 2 made us feel).

DonbaOz Said:

I feel like the only thing worst than a bad writing decision is a desperate attempt to try to fix it.
Now I'm not saying I know what the dev original direction for the story was,
but there's so many inconsistencies that it just seem like a rewrite.
Which is why I respect dev like DrPinkCake and DriftyGames so much.
They know their story will be controversial yet they stick with their vision.

And I think they are spot

Remember, at its heart, the Story is about two friends on a Road Trip. If that is what the story is about, I don't see how we can end up ignoring Anne... If we just have to struggle through one gut punch after another, and Anne joins in the fray to land a couple of blows as well, it will be a hard story for the masses to stick with.

At the same time, It feels like we are being set up to be a hypocrite. The lady with the son in the convenience store has said, multiple times, that she is married.

"Oh Kettle, you are a really dark shade of black."

Last edited:

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
I play these games mostly for entertainment not for for immersion, and tbh not each and every game is meant to make you feel like the MC.

From this perspective it is an interesting story and I prefer developers who have a vision about their story over developers who simply throw in the most popular fetishes and wrap some poorly written story around these.
So we've heard two stories about this evening, but maybe there is more, let's see where this is going.

And the last thing, not especially for this thread.
A lot of people complaining and threaten the developer that they'll stop playing the game, and let's be honest, most of us are playing this game for free (at least atm), and not every game has to tickle all your kinks/ not every story has to go in a direction you prefer.
Personally I've found a solution for that, if I don't like the concept/ story of a game I don't play/ support it. :)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
The main issue with this game and it's difference to most other games with love interests is this one needs to girls to pursue the MC because the dev put them in a position where they aren't very likeable.

They both crushed on his bullies and one of them has a story with so many holes I could use it to drain pasta.

Game is tagged for romance but we're barely at the friendship stage with one and people seem to really dislike the other.

So far it's less about picking best girl and more about picking the one with the least problems.

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
A lot of people complaining and threaten the developer that they'll stop playing the game, and let's be honest, most of us are playing this game for free (at least atm), and not every game has to tickle all your kinks/ not every story has to go in a direction you prefer.
Personally I've found a solution for that, if I don't like the concept/ story of a game I don't play/ support it.
If you re-read what you wrote Don... your answer is - to be one of those people?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bananabrown

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
Avaron
I don't always agree with what you say, but most of the time, at the very least, it is thought provoking.

I think you are spot on here, and it will be interesting to see how the Dev digs themselves out (if they can).

I gave the game a try because the reviews were pretty solid across the board. Since Update/Chapter 2, it is taking a bath in the ratings.

Reactions: Avaron1974

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Personally, I think it was a mistake that this latest update didn't reveal what actually happened in the bedroom. Leaving people speculating doesn't seem to be working out that well.
Yeah, too many misteries of the past when we should be having sexy times with the girls.
Next update we will discover that Bryce was the one sending the MC some photo of him with Ava nude in the same bed.
I-It was a prank, bro :LOL:

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
PJWhoopie

Don't know if I understand the question...
If I've played a new game there are four possible outcomes:

- I hate the game/ I'm so not interested, that I delete it immediately
- Can't say much atm, but will see where this is going
- Really like the game
- Support the game

And when I game I like/ support suddenly goes in a direction I don't like I would give some feedback, but at least it's the developer's decision and of course at some point I'd stop playing/ supporting it.
But I wouldn't write something like: "If there isn't a threesome with Annie, Ava and the reverend's sister in the next update I'll drop the game."

And if you're question was about this game, it's definitely between can't say/ like for me atm.

Reactions: Qoo-Rilla

Havenless_

Oct 12, 2020
We did not have a resolution on whether Ava was unfaithful.
What happened was even worse, we were introduced to a sudden and alleged rape, trying to make it seem that it was not an infidelity, wanting to make us sympathize with Ava. And if that is not enough, there are indications that both occurred.

Ava completely ignored the MC, who told her that going to the party was not appropriate. She went to the party, she intended to cheat on the MC, she regretted it when she was about to do it and it turns out she didn't. She actually was raped.

In addition to still not knowing what the hell really happened between infidelity, rape, or both, the only love interest who seemed moderately decent is also screwed.

This VN is full of coincidences and totally unnecessary drama, in my opinion. Curiously, I have a feeling that it was not going to be like that in the beginning. Although I hate stories where the MC was cheated on, and the ex-girlfriend who did it is still featured in the game / VN, the first episode was excellent.

But it seems that situations were improvised, and instead of improving the story, they made it worse.

I'm really sorry, but to insist that we give the characters a chance because in the end they will find redemption or there is much beyond what it seems to be, having a VN like this in which one of the greatest attractions is for the MC to overcome his problems and his past, managing to have a better version of himself and, of course, "finding true love", it is totally impossible to do it with characters so, at the moment, unlikeable.

Last edited:
3.70 star(s) 32 Votes