Ren'Py Family, Friends and Strangers [v2024.01] [JohnAndRich]

3.90 star(s) 66 Votes

tharsheblows

Apr 4, 2024
I'm going to disagree with you, but not as violently as tharsheblows did.

There is a difference between "I've decided to build something primarily for commercial purposes" and "I've decided to build something that I want to build and make it available to others." I consider myself in the latter category, rather than the former. If I'd wanted to build something solely with the intent of cashing in on it, this would probably have been filled with incest and other similar debauchery, since that seems to be "what sells."

While I'm hardly turning down any support that people are willing to give me, I've been very forthright (I thought) in the fact that I'm telling the story that I want to tell. If it's not the story that others want to read/watch/whatever, I have no issues with them moving on to find something that pleases them more. I don't bend the story to chase every last person who passes by.
I was "violent?" I thought blunt, perhaps brusque? Frank?

S.t.s

Mar 4, 2018
Bullshit. You know nothing about how those who create function and make their art. Art is not politics. It's the exact opposite of it. If we had to conduct polls or vote for "art" we'd live in a horrible place run by horrible people.

No, thank you.
Wow, you yourself are like the worst politicians, we at least wish and insist that we live in a democratic world and everyone can express their opinion freely. You could be more polite, like the game developer's answer. It was not my intention to combine art and politics, I wanted to say with an example that people feel comfortable when their desires and interests are met. That's it.

tharsheblows

Apr 4, 2024
Wow, you yourself are like the worst politicians, we at least wish and insist that we live in a democratic world and everyone can express their opinion freely. You could be more polite, like the game developer's answer. It was not my intention to combine art and politics, I wanted to say with an example that people feel comfortable when their desires and interests are met. That's it.
I very much dislike the opinion that one can control artistic endeavors as though they ought to be managed through a political process.

How's that? Better? Let's run with that.

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
I very much dislike the opinion that one can control artistic endeavors as though they ought to be managed through a political process.

How's that? Better? Let's run with that.
As if art wasn't directed through patronage over the centuries. Patronage, commissions, seeking popularity by showing off to market to potential customers, resulting in higher income. Rarely did artists have the opportunity to truly express themselves.

Patreon is just a modern way to enable patronage and there are different ways to manage patron expectations. There are creators who aim to please the crowds as much as possible, creating for the sake of marketing themselves only. There are others who follow through with their original vision completely ignoring their patron input. And there's a whole spectrum in between.

Obviously some creators can't afford to lose their patreon income and will trade their artistic integrity for popularity. There are some who already have enough income to go around and will not sacrifice an iota of their integrity.

Funny how the latter frequently have more devoted fans than the former.

Reactions: bk1

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
As if art wasn't directed through patronage over the centuries. Patronage, commissions, seeking popularity by showing off to market to potential customers, resulting in higher income. Rarely did artists have the opportunity to truly express themselves.

Patreon is just a modern way to enable patronage and there are different ways to manage patron expectations. There are creators who aim to please the crowds as much as possible, creating for the sake of marketing themselves only. There are others who follow through with their original vision completely ignoring their patron input. And there's a whole spectrum in between.

Obviously some creators can't afford to lose their patreon income and will trade their artistic integrity for popularity. There are some who already have enough income to go around and will not sacrifice an iota of their integrity.

And this is why most creators can not afford to lose their day jobs and stable income, leaving art on the second place as a hobby.
That gives them stability and security and artistic freedom, but little time for art.

tharsheblows

Apr 4, 2024

100% spot on. However, patronage is one thing, catering to the whims of the masses is another.

3.90 star(s) 66 Votes