Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Another abuse that AI art can create is that the program can be "instructed" to generate the art mimicking the style of an established hand artist and effectively "steal" someone's art without ever having to learn art oneself.

Sonico

Forum Fanatic
Jul 21, 2018
Another abuse that AI art can create is that the program can be "instructed" to generate the art mimicking the style of an established hand artist and effectively "steal" someone's art without ever having to learn art oneself.
While usually that kind of "cloning" might be a very bad thing, i can kind of see it working as a tool for a patient fan to experiment with attempting to recreate the style of an abandoned game....

Ryan Ber

Feb 12, 2018
He seems to have removed his patreon entirely. Looks like it's final - I'm glad we got what we had, but it felt like he'd finally gotten the hang of things by Chapter 10. Either way, it is a real shame he didn't get more support.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
While usually that kind of "cloning" might be a very bad thing, i can kind of see it working as a tool for a patient fan to experiment with attempting to recreate the style of an abandoned game....
Except that is also a very bad thing. I hate the "well, it wasn't going to be finished anyways" and "at least the game will have an ending" mindset of the people that try to defend this kind of behavior. Imagine making a game from scratch, having to part with it, and then finding out some dude's hijacked your project with a fraction of the effort and quality. And what's worse, people are cheering the dude on. What's the point of anyone making anything if people are willing to settle for an inferior copy? That just defeats the purpose of trying to make something original and good.

jczs97

Feb 9, 2018
They are though. It's been going on for at least a couple months already. You haven't seen the several on this site already? People are pretty quick to point out when something's AI generated. Telltale signs include: clothes/hair/accessors that never appear to be the same in different scenes, hands are fucked up or constantly out of view, eyes are eerily similar between all characters, etc
Oh damn didn´t know, what games are using AI art here?

Reactions: King0761

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Oh damn didn´t know, what games are using AI art here?
I can't remember all the ones I've blocked, which consequently won't show up in my search results, but here's two of the more recent ones.

Edit: Oh, and this one, which has been around since October apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferdi Kafka

Ferdi Kafka

Aug 4, 2017
Sucks this game got abandoned. Never made sense to me why this game never really took off on here. I Hope Ancho's next project does well.
Sadly, I think he's given up on creating games altogether. He completely scrapped his Patreon. If you go to his page, he's listed as a regular patron account now and not as a creator. Either he's done for good, or he won't be creating new projects for the foreseeable future.

• Sad
Reactions: Karmakw

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
To all the guys who ask for games to be hijacked and continued, have you never had someone else steal credit for your hard work and/or reap the benefit from doing so? Would you mind if some stranger started using your expensive TV or jewelry, or whatever the hell else you worked hard to get because you're not using it? Or say your mom dies and I just start taking/renting out your inheritance because you don't have the heart to take/use/sell her stuff. Would you say that it's my right to do that because "it's a shame it's going to waste"?
It's a stupid argument that something you enjoyed, but was made by someone else and discontinued, should be stolen and appropriated by another stranger.

darker246

Jul 24, 2018
To all the guys who ask for games to be hijacked and continued, have you never had someone else steal credit for your hard work and/or reap the benefit from doing so? Would you mind if some stranger started using your expensive TV or jewelry, or whatever the hell else you worked hard to get because you're not using it? Or say your mom dies and I just start taking/renting out your inheritance because you don't have the heart to take/use/sell her stuff. Would you say that it's my right to do that because "it's a shame it's going to waste"?
It's a stupid argument that something you enjoyed, but was made by someone else and discontinued, should be stolen and appropriated by another stranger.
I didn't see anyone mention that, but to be honest, asking the original author whether you can continue the project is a good idea. And i've seen a few games that have already done this and the new author properly credits the original as well.

Reactions: Karmakw

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I didn't see anyone mention that, but to be honest, asking the original author whether you can continue the project is a good idea. And i've seen a few games that have already done this and the new author properly credits the original as well.
It's not easy to give up on something you've painstakingly worked on and it's sure as shit not easy watching someone else take the reins on your passion project. But instead of asking the dev if they're willing to hand off the project to someone else, they're asking the void to continue the game. That doesn't exactly sound like they give a shit about the dev's permission.

Morah SDG

Development Consultant & Revision's Supervisor
Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
I can almost guarantee, without there even being a definitive way of confirming with Ancho first about it, that he would definitely not appreciate someone else taking on the project for a continuation/remake/sequel, etc.

I mean the guy quit his work as a creator point-blank because he wasn't getting the financial means to justify his time and work. It's not like he grew tired because the project no longer gave him interest, he just wasn't able to make the financial means to keep doing it, and that just killed his desire to do this at all. Quite certain he'd not like somebody taking his work and then working to make money off of it where he couldn't. Again, call it just a hunch, and it's unfortunate the circumstances for his departure weren't solely money based, but that's the pretty clear situation at hand.

Last edited:

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
It's not necessarily that cut and dry. The primary reason for dropping the game was the lack of monetary recognition, but Ancho also struggled continuing the story from a simple creative perspective. Unlike many adult games with a basic structure (find ways for the MC to end up in sexual situations), Fantasy Valley built up a back story and environment around the characters - and they were characters, not just 3D models waiting to moan.

No doubt the lack of income affected the creative side, similar to a basketball team's bad shooting causing their defense to fall off as their confidence weakens. But, Ancho clearly also struggled with the time the story management and art demanded from him. Since few games in this genre offer their creator(s) enough to "quit their day job", it was unlikely FV would relieve him from that time/energy drain.

I'd agree that, considering how much of himself he poured into the project, he would not be pleased with someone else carrying it forward, since he would have already done the hard work of creating the characters and world around them. To see someone else gain money from efforts he fought so mightily to bring to "life" would likely be painful to witness.

However, I am reminded of Stephen King's Dark Tower, a project he once started and then never returned to it until decades later. Perhaps one day...

Ferdi Kafka

Aug 4, 2017
It's not necessarily that cut and dry. The primary reason for dropping the game was the lack of monetary recognition, but Ancho also struggled continuing the story from a simple creative perspective. Unlike many adult games with a basic structure (find ways for the MC to end up in sexual situations), Fantasy Valley built up a back story and environment around the characters - and they were characters, not just 3D models waiting to moan.

No doubt the lack of income affected the creative side, similar to a basketball team's bad shooting causing their defense to fall off as their confidence weakens. But, Ancho clearly also struggled with the time the story management and art demanded from him. Since few games in this genre offer their creator(s) enough to "quit their day job", it was unlikely FV would relieve him from that time/energy drain.

I'd agree that, considering how much of himself he poured into the project, he would not be pleased with someone else carrying it forward, since he would have already done the hard work of creating the characters and world around them. To see someone else gain money from efforts he fought so mightily to bring to "life" would likely be painful to witness.

However, I am reminded of Stephen King's Dark Tower, a project he once started and then never returned to it until decades later. Perhaps one day...
There's always hope I guess, but I do wonder how he'll be able to reach all the old fans if he ever does decide to return to FV. He's shut down his Patreon, so assuming he ever starts it back up, he'll have to build his following and revenue stream from scratch again. That's another thing to consider now that's he made this decision. He can't go back and pick up where he left off really, which could be another thing that demotivates him from working on the game again in the future.

Reactions: Ryan Ber
4.60 star(s) 73 Votes