Ostego

Jul 30, 2018
Yes, there is such a problem, the developer is struggling with it. I also have video sluggishness after the last update. But I don't have a Risen 9000 ;)
vimmers

as i remember Era has Intel G4400 - so until acutestalker won`t tell us his PC, i`d think that it`s just hardware lack of perfomance

add.

during animation. 1 core is fckd up.
1704625679377.png

Last edited:
Reactions: wildride69

acutestalker

Apr 2, 2019
atleast write your PC config....
cuz:
10700 4070ti 64ram win 11- ok
5500u 16 ram ok win 11 - ok
old notebook 3rd gen i7 8 ram integrated video win 7- ok
2600k 730gt 32 ram win 10 - ok
Well, heres my pc spec:
Win 10
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.80 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
VRAM: Nvidia GTX 960 2GB

Ostego

Jul 30, 2018
I know its a stone age pc lol :LOL:, so the problem is my pc is outdate then? I never thought my rig is that bad for ren'py games and never face this kind of problem before. At least i know the problem now, thanks for responding mate (y)
not 100% but most likely. AMD proc`s in late 2000- and begining of 2010- was shit.
software not standing at one place and optimization's became worse with every new version.

But as i said you can check it up yourself - run animation scene and check % load in Perfomance.

Stan5851

Engaged Member
Oct 18, 2019
I know its a stone age pc lol :LOL:, so the problem is my pc is outdate then? I never thought my rig is that bad for ren'py games and never face this kind of problem before. At least i know the problem now, thanks for responding mate (y)
And theoretically the problem may lie not even in the old hardware, but in its poor compatibility with new versions of the RenPy engine. The tendencies of recent years are such that in new versions of the engine its creators smoothly refuse to support ancient hardware. For example, it is written about it in the FB FAQ (1.5.5).. And it concerns Ren'Py engine 7.4.2 and higher. Besides, we should not forget that in Ep4 v4 DM moved the game to even newer Ren'Py engine, 7.6.3, and I highly doubt that 7.6.3 became less demanding to hardware performance. Rather the opposite.

Anyway, it's a natural process. Last summer I upgraded my ancient PC (I7 2600k, bought back in 2011) to the same processor as Ostego (but with a "K" index), and forgot about any brakes and freezes. No matter how long things last us, sometimes they need to be upgraded. Well and yes, it is worth measuring the performance level and paying attention to the CPU cores utilization when playing animations, I agree with Ostego.

Last edited:

qazxsw80

Sep 1, 2019
For those who also have slow video I can inform you that DM will return the old video format ;)
That's sad. The new animations were clearly a step ahead in terms of immersion and quality.
It is expected that when you have a PC that costs 50 dollars, such as the one with an ancient Phenom CPU, that many modern games won't work well. I doubt that Rockstar downgrades their games just because some people cannot play them on the Intel Pentium III.
Why Decent Monkey doesn't just ask his patrons whether to keep the new animation that works only on modern PCs or get back the old one that is objectively worse but works better for a few of people.

EraRamp

Aug 26, 2019
That's sad. The new animations were clearly a step ahead in terms of immersion and quality.
It is expected that when you have a PC that costs 50 dollars, such as the one with an ancient Phenom CPU, that many modern games won't work well. I doubt that Rockstar downgrades their games just because some people cannot play them on the Intel Pentium III.
Why Decent Monkey doesn't just ask his patrons whether to keep the new animation that works only on modern PCs or get back the old one that is objectively worse but works better for a few of people.
You don't seem to understand. Animation will be the same, it's just that the players who had animation slowed down, it will stop slowing down ;)

Stan5851

Engaged Member
Oct 18, 2019
For those who also have slow video I can inform you that DM will return the old video format ;)
The whole thing is actually pretty weird. I mean the way the animations in some top AVN games behave. We talk about some brakes/freeze and CPU core load, but really it's just ridiculous 5-20 megabyte clips and I can tell you that's in most AVN games I've played.. And the bitrate of such clips is far from prohibitive. And even (in the vast majority of games) they are made not in 4K, but in regular 1080p. Besides, such animations are packaged in a standard video container supported by most OS, software players and devices themselves. So where do these brakes come from? Well, yes, maybe problems with codecs and so on...But in general something is wrong here..

And it seems to me that the RenPy engine is more to blame for all this, because tiny clips with animation (if you run them separately in any program video player) themselves, as a rule, do not slow down. The only thing that slows me down (and that's only on an old laptop with I5 Core) is some 4k videos with high bitrate, but there it is at least logically explainable, which can not be said about tiny video clips with game animations.

P.S. I'd still understand if the devs put us the "raw animation" as they create it in DAZ3D/Blender, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing weighs a few gigabytes before optimization and compression, and then some playback lags would make at least a little bit of sense..BUT! People are complaining about tiny video clips! that a priori shouldn't playback lags, unless of course you're using some ancient Pentium 166.. :unsure:

• Red Heart
Reactions: vimmers and EraRamp

acutestalker

Apr 2, 2019
not 100% but most likely. AMD proc`s in late 2000- and begining of 2010- was shit.
software not standing at one place and optimization's became worse with every new version.

But as i said you can check it up yourself - run animation scene and check % load in Perfomance.
1704689439888.png 1704689664574.png
Heres the performance check when the animation running. What does it mean? It looks just fine to me :unsure:

3.50 star(s) 222 Votes