VN Others Father Figure [v0.5.0] [Xia Liu Bei]

3.40 star(s) 18 Votes

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
As I mentioned in the changelog, v0.4.2 just has some additional dialogue with Major, and 2 new bios in the 'about' section. There are no new lewd scenes.

Anyway, I think this will be the last free update I do on F95. There's some really nice people here, but overall it's just been a negative experience every time I've done it. The nastiness and entitlement makes working on my games less fun, so I think stepping away is what I'm going to do so I don't get burned out. Thanks to everyone who supported me here, on itch and SubscribeStar, and who sent me nice private messages. And to my volunteers Saipan and MikeyUK. I really appreciate you guys.

Xia Liu Bei signing off.
Welp, that isn't something I expected. I've been following X-Trek for a long time, and you always seemed to be on top with the unfair criticism, it seemed as if you had the right disposition toward it (that of not really giving a damn), but I guess it can be a war of attrition.
Sad to see you go and sad to see the assholes on this site getting another win, because ultimately that is it, every time another creator leaves for good or changes content to fit their demands.
In this way we have a mirror of reality here, where films and books are careful not to trigger certain groups, due to their entitlement making them think they have a right to say, which content is okay and which is not.

I hope my only comment in this thread here, wasn't received in a wrong way, I thought the last part would clearly indicate that I saw the humour in the approach and that I wasn't taking the things I wrote about as a serious thing.

That's just how it is with all online content creation. You have the "true fans" who are silent and barely comment or hit a like, and then you got the ones who go and criticize and whine about every little thing. In the end, it's just heavily demoralizing, and I think every creator is justified when they walk away.
Justified is a big word. I've seen devs here, and not too few, who were incapable of accepting even the smallest criticism, no matter how polite and reasonable it was. OTOH I have seen devs being bullied by a certain group, up to a point where I have personal messages by some, expressing how devastating it was for them, that people didn't accept that it was how their story played out or focused on certain definitions to raise hell about, so that they not only left the site but also stopped development of their game as well.

In the end, no creator is ever forced to come here, and can leave whenever, as such no justification is ever even needed, otoh if you can't accept ANY criticism and then leave in a huff over it, you have to ask what you expect as a creator if you put a product out there and aren't able to accept any reaction that isn't pure praise.
This board, it provides an audience, which can also lead to patrons and followers, it gives you a sound board and a source of valid, constructive criticism, but yes, as everywhere we also have a bunch of entitled assholes and people who have no understanding of how rude they are being and how ridiculously demanding.

KiraJames

Dec 5, 2017
The engine he's using just sucks so bad. Really needs to just go with Renply. The conversion isn't up to date and the one he's using is just so clunky and bad. Giant text like it's 1984. Abysimal save slots. Have to start over multiple times. Really if you want to polish this game to get people to keep intrest then at least use a engine that's useable.

On a little side note...Something that really bothered me. What cop EVER leaves their service gun just sitting on top of a desk out in the open when not in use. They would be on probation in a second for even doing such a thing. For a cop thats not even active that gun would have been put away. Just a really dumb moment.

This particular moment even made me post in the forums for help as a punch up artist to help fix really dumb dialog. It was just that bad.

I'm sad to see a developer leave but at the same time there is critisicm that is valid and feedback that is just people bitching to try and force a narative they like.
I like the characters in this game and I want to see it achieve more. It just needs more work to fine tune whats being presented. That's not a bad thing. It's something a developer should embrace if they want to hone their craft.
have you actually seen cops in real life? Some of them are dumber then a box of crayon.

Burgh917

Dec 20, 2019
That's just how it is with all online content creation. You have the "true fans" who are silent and barely comment or hit a like, and then you got the ones who go and criticize and whine about every little thing. In the end, it's just heavily demoralizing, and I think every creator is justified when they walk away.
I agree to a point, but wouldn't it be better both mentally and financially to just avoid the site with the whiners instead of walking away from the game?

donSilver

Enjoyer
Game Developer
Nov 30, 2018
I agree to a point, but wouldn't it be better both mentally and financially to just avoid the site with the whiners instead of walking away from the game?
I think that's what he said, he wasn't moving away from developing the game, from what I understood. Also, that was not what I was saying either.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Yeah, he's stepping away from F95, not the VN (as more and more dev's seem to be doing.....).

GrizzlyUK

Oct 21, 2019
The engine he's using just sucks so bad. Really needs to just go with Renply. The conversion isn't up to date and the one he's using is just so clunky and bad. Giant text like it's 1984. Abysimal save slots. Have to start over multiple times. Really if you want to polish this game to get people to keep intrest then at least use a engine that's useable.

On a little side note...Something that really bothered me. What cop EVER leaves their service gun just sitting on top of a desk out in the open when not in use. They would be on probation in a second for even doing such a thing. For a cop thats not even active that gun would have been put away. Just a really dumb moment.

This particular moment even made me post in the forums for help as a punch up artist to help fix really dumb dialog. It was just that bad.

I'm sad to see a developer leave but at the same time there is critisicm that is valid and feedback that is just people bitching to try and force a narative they like.
I like the characters in this game and I want to see it achieve more. It just needs more work to fine tune whats being presented. That's not a bad thing. It's something a developer should embrace if they want to hone their craft.
Every game engine takes time to learn, therefore if a dev is familiar with a particular engine then it's obvious they'll use the engine they know best. So many people demanding this dev switches the game to Ren'py, yet not a single one of them have ever actually created a single game in any game engine, let alone Ren'py!

Then you complain about something in the game that "wouldn't happen in real life"! Seriously? Ever watched a movie? Ever read a book? There's a great many movies and books that are, generally, full of things that simply would not and/or could not happen in real life for one reason or another. Do you complain about those as well? Or do you cheer, get excitied and think "how awesome" that was?

But congratulations, you are one of those who have helped to successfully drive this dev away from F95 with constant whining and complaining, primarily about the game engine the dev choose to use! :unsure: Are you, or any of the other whiners, going to step up and replace these devs that you have helped drive away? Should we be looking for a new game being released in the next 30 days created by you? :unsure: Yeah, don't bother replying because we all know the answer is NO!

EDIT: Decided I should add a little clarification before anyone has some sort of tantrum and reports my post for some weird reason. When I posted this comment I did so fully understanding that the point(s) I'm attempting to illustrate will likely fly way over the heads of some folks. So, what was the point? To make folks stop and think. Apparently a story about a guy reuniting with his daughters, having incestous relationships with those daughters and his sister, well all that's perfectly fine. But a single scene where an inactive cop leaves their gun on a desk? NOPE, that's not at all realistic and must not be allowed! o_O:ROFLMAO: Perspective folks, seems like some folks need a serious dose of perspective!

Last edited:
Reactions: raileg and RandyTyr

MrBenny

Jul 20, 2021
OK, well I wanted to try this, and tried to get the Ren'py version of this title (yes I know it's an older version), and unfortunately it's behind the shitty "4shared" hosting provider. And 4shared seriously really isn't like any of the other file hosting sites. This hosting provider usually always FORCES a user to give their personal details (the 20 sec timer doesn't work...so the user is forced to click on free download button, which requires personal login meta data to gain access to "hopefully a real file".

That provider is known to be used regularly by hackers trying to trick people to install their warez PC programs, with hidden virus / malware.

I guess I should have looked closer to see if this title uses the Renpy engine, as I only play Renpy titles. And I will not give out my information to download the Renpy version.

GrizzlyUK

Oct 21, 2019
OK, well I wanted to try this, and tried to get the Ren'py version of this title (yes I know it's an older version), and unfortunately it's behind the shitty "4shared" hosting provider. And 4shared seriously really isn't like any of the other file hosting sites. This hosting provider usually always FORCES a user to give their personal details (the 20 sec timer doesn't work...so the user is forced to click on free download button, which requires personal login meta data to gain access to "hopefully a real file".

That provider is known to be used regularly by hackers trying to trick people to install their warez PC programs, with hidden virus / malware.

I guess I should have looked closer to see if this title uses the Renpy engine, as I only play Renpy titles. And I will not give out my information to download the Renpy version.
Somebody posted some alternative links to a Ren'py version a page or two back, but there's probably more than one such post, so you might want to use the Search function in the top right corner to help with finding those. :unsure:

TRKaiser

Apr 11, 2023
Yeah, he's stepping away from F95, not the VN (as more and more dev's seem to be doing.....).
Wait...but if he continues then it'll still end up on F95 though correct, just not direct from the dev since pirates gon' pirate?

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
Anyone know if there is a walkthrough for this game? being unable to scroll back or save during a choice is kinda annoying ...

fantom2u

Mar 14, 2018
I'm guessing this one is done? The Subscribestar account has no subscribe button, which is usually a sign that a game is abandoned. I know the dev left F95, but it appears they left subscribestar too.

3.40 star(s) 18 Votes