Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Are you sure that all of the patrons are sharing your sentiments? The number is not trending up as far as I can tell. It's trending DOWN.
Are you sure that you have access to ALL of the subscription data?*

* no, of course you don't. And you didn't claim to. But, if you can engage in strawman arguments, so can I! :LOL:

• Angry
Reactions: Master of Puppets

ScarletCrow

Mar 14, 2017
Are you sure that you have access to ALL of the subscription data?*

Crush never hid his patreon income, so this site has quite a complete data from the very beginning. 2019 was his best year, and so far this year his income is only going down. I mean, that's just to be expected. Of course, if you believe he deserves your support, then go ahead. But nevertheless, the number will keep going down, if he doesn't deliver something substantial soon. Not all of the patrons have your kind of patience, it seems.

Arkady

May 15, 2018
and so far this year his income is only going down.
Actually, this clearly shows that for 2020, $/month pledged peaked in late May (and nearly at the peak 2019 amount, too)...

That aside, the data for the last couple of months does suggest MFAGA was the rewrite straw that broke the camel's back in terms of patron patience. As such, numbers do seem likely to keep going down until Crush delivers *Bangkok*, because a simplified, abbreviated prologue version almost certainly isn't what people are waiting for.

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Not sure about that:

Patreons are very pleased with the current way he's handling things. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, is up to discussion, but the supporters do seem to like what he's doing.
*A handful of vocal patreons* may be. Which doesn't really say much about the silent majority that doesn't comment - unlike the numbers that seems to suggest a certain number is voting with their feet.

Cibo

Nov 15, 2018
Well. This is the obvious reason to not throw money their way.
The 'game' has been pretty much the same for a long time. No story content or anything added on a large scale.
It's sad since it's not bad in the theory, but like this? Nah not gonna support it.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
So does almost everyone, they're just not happy at the pace given the income, 5k a month to read a changelog of:
(snip)
his goes to the heart of the issue I have with the judgemental types: what difference does it make how much Crush and his eam are getting in patreon dues? Every person contributing is doing so voluntarily, and (presumably) every one is reading his posts and understands what is happening in game development (and he does post very reliably), so why does the figure of 5K a month stick in so many craws?

If the moaning people were developers who thought they should have some of that money, I could understand it. But the developers here are either silent or supportive of him. So why the moral outrage?

The game has enormous potential. Development has been bungled. Look back at the start of this thread and you'll find me saying so more than a year ago. But you'll also find me saying how understandable it is that Crush wanted to perfect things (that needn't be perfected, IMO) before moving on. Crush has admitted as much, and changed his development schedule and management methods. So, he lost a year of development and everybody contributing settled for that.

But still, the dollar amount (a lot for an individual but not a lot for a team) keeps getting brought uup, as though that were relevant to ANYTHING. Would you be happy with the state of affairs if the dollar amount was $2000 month? $100? What amount would not be so OUTRAGEOUS?

Reactions: Elli Wölfin

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Sorry for the dumb question, but.. it appears to me that this update is the same old story of the last one.. Am I wrong?
You are not wrong. The elements that have been added (blinking eyes, portraits of front and back) are pretty trivial. That's been the problem, and Crush has finally awoken to the problem.

If you've been following developement, though, you will discover that it's not ben lack of effort, but lack of focus, that's been the problem. 2000 things have been tweaked and none of them have been the story.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018

Crush never hid his patreon income, so this site has quite a complete data from the very beginning. 2019 was his best year, and so far this year his income is only going down. I mean, that's just to be expected. Of course, if you believe he deserves your support, then go ahead. But nevertheless, the number will keep going down, if he doesn't deliver something substantial soon. Not all of the patrons have your kind of patience, it seems.
Sure, the number will go down, and it should - that will encourage Crush to stay on target. But how many of those patreons are, like me, contributing a trivial amount of money just to keep the potential game going? If you are going to be OUTRAGED on behalf of the patrons, you should know their motives.

ScarletCrow

Mar 14, 2017
The game has enormous potential. Development has been bungled. Look back at the start of this thread and you'll find me saying so more than a year ago. But you'll also find me saying how understandable it is that Crush wanted to perfect things (that needn't be perfected, IMO) before moving on. Crush has admitted as much, and changed his development schedule and management methods. So, he lost a year of development and everybody contributing settled for that.

But still, the dollar amount (a lot for an individual but not a lot for a team) keeps getting brought uup, as though that were relevant to ANYTHING. Would you be happy with the state of affairs if the dollar amount was $2000 month? $100? What amount would not be so OUTRAGEOUS?
The amount does matter a bit, since he decided to quit his job and do this project full time. Maybe if he's still have a day job, people won't be as judgmental, but since he's doing this as his full time job, then people is judging it as such.

Depending on where he lives, $5000/month is not that big of an amount, especially if he's also paying people on his team. So, as I've also been saying a while back, do you think he would still continue this, if the amount drops to <$2000, for example?

For the sake of the project, he's got to strike a middle balance between his "perfectionism" and fast development. And as people has been pointing out, seems like it's not only the "perfectionism" that is the problem, he doesn't even have any plan for the main part of the game after all this time. And knowing that, he still decided to rework the intro, before figuring out how to progress. Idk about you, but it does sound a little bit sketchy. Of course, he's saying they're finalizing the design for Bangkok right now, which is good. So I guess time will tell if he's being serious this time.

Last edited:

ScarletCrow

Mar 14, 2017
That aside, the data for the last couple of months does suggest MFAGA was the rewrite straw that broke the camel's back in terms of patron patience. As such, numbers do seem likely to keep going down until Crush delivers *Bangkok*, because a simplified, abbreviated prologue version almost certainly isn't what people are waiting for.
Or probably that post suggesting that he considered abandoning the project after weeks of radio silence. That showed that Crush can bail on them at anytime.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
The amount does matter a bit, since he decided to quit his job and do this project full time. Maybe if he's still have a day job, people won't be as judgmental, but since he's doing this as his full time job, then people is judging it as such.
You are avoiding the question. If he had not announced (but secretly had) quitting his day job to focus on the game, would you still feel the OUTRAGE?

Depending on where he lives, $5000/month is not that big of an amount, especially if he's also paying people on his team. So, as I've also been saying a while back, do you think he would still continue this, if the amount drops to <$2000, for example?
Answering a question with a question is the sure sign that you have no argument. Back to my question: Would you feel the same OUTRAGE if the dev only made $2000 a month? $100 a month?

For the sake of the project, he's got to strike a middle balance between his "perfectionism" and fast development. And as people has been pointing out, seems like it's not only the "perfectionism" that is the problem, he doesn't even have any plan for the main part of the game after all this time. And knowing that, he still decided to rework the intro, before figuring out how to progress. Idk about you, but it does sound a little bit sketchy. Of course, he's saying they're finalizing the design for Bangkok right now, which is good. So I guess time will tell if he's being serious this time.
Yes, after all this time, the dev has realized that he is polishing elements of the game that he once though essential, but he now realizes are chrome. I have been painfully watching this process. If you look back to the start of this thread, I warned about this more than a year ago. If you have access to the Discord site, you will see that I proposed a whole bunch of Bangkok scenarios to tempt Crush into moving on to Bangkok before the "life stories" he was fascinated with were done. Nothing seemed to help. He was hell-bent on polishing what he had before moving on. That was a mistake he now recognizes (thank Hod).

But that's really none of your business. If his plans are "sketchy" that's between him and his patrons. He owes you nothing. if it takes him ten years to produce a game and his patrons tolerate that, then bully for him. If patrons abandon him, that's between them and him. That may even be a good thing, but it is still a thing that has nothing to do with you.

The privilege assumed by some posters here is amusing, but not surprising.

ScarletCrow

Mar 14, 2017
You are avoiding the question. If he had not announced (but secretly had) quitting his day job to focus on the game, would you still feel the OUTRAGE?

Answering a question with a question is the sure sign that you have no argument. Back to my question: Would you feel the same OUTRAGE if the dev only made $2000 a month? $100 a month?

Yes, after all this time, the dev has realized that he is polishing elements of the game that he once though essential, but he now realizes are chrome. I have been painfully watching this process. If you look back to the start of this thread, I warned about this more than a year ago. If you have access to the Discord site, you will see that I proposed a whole bunch of Bangkok scenarios to tempt Crush into moving on to Bangkok before the "life stories" he was fascinated with were done. Nothing seemed to help. He was hell-bent on polishing what he had before moving on. That was a mistake he now recognizes (thank Hod).

But that's really none of your business. If his plans are "sketchy" that's between him and his patrons. He owes you nothing. if it takes him ten years to produce a game and his patrons tolerate that, then bully for him. If patrons abandon him, that's between them and him. That may even be a good thing, but it is still a thing that has nothing to do with you.

The privilege assumed by some posters here is amusing, but not surprising.
I don't feel outraged. Like you said, I have nothing to lose. I just liked the game from a while ago, and waiting it gets better. And I'm concerned that the development is going nowhere, and patrons is bleeding out, and that could threaten the continuity of the project. I'll feel concerned if the dev only makes sub 1k on patreon, because in my opinion, they'd have to get a day job and that means even slower development, or maybe even outright stopped.

Idk, I feel like the hostility between patrons and non-patrons just doesn't help the situation. You do realize that Crush needs new blood for his Patreons to replace the jaded patrons who bowed out? Twice I try to just have conversation here in this thread and get such a hostile response. "Sketchy" can mean different things, can mean that Crush is trying to swindle his patrons, or just maybe inexperience or incompetence. I'd prefer the later to be the case, but idk. But ok, if you think non-patrons don't have anything to do with the game, why don't we just lock up the thread. I'll certainly remove this thread from my watch list after this. Too much drama for so little content in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daybyday
Feb 27, 2017
his goes to the heart of the issue I have with the judgemental types: what difference does it make how much Crush and his eam are getting in patreon dues? Every person contributing is doing so voluntarily, and (presumably) every one is reading his posts and understands what is happening in game development (and he does post very reliably), so why does the figure of 5K a month stick in so many craws?

If the moaning people were developers who thought they should have some of that money, I could understand it. But the developers here are either silent or supportive of him. So why the moral outrage?

same reason people get angry about any scam that doesn't effect them

if the dev had "hey this is a hobby thing I'm working on when I feel like it, updates will be far and few in between" on the front page then that's a different story, but reading his blog/updates hes been saying big updates around the corner for years but he only every updates the back end that people were happy with already

as for the dollar amount its relevant because money solves problems, if youre making 5k a month thats enough to devote part time or full time hours to it, or pay for help, or models, equipment etc

if he were getting $100 a month no one would expect fast updates

DbatRT

Apr 8, 2018
There are many reasons crush wanted to work on the back end. The most notable being that if you write tons of story then later work on the back end, you have to go through ALL that story you wrote and make changes, which is a shit ton of work. VS having very little story written so when you work on the back end the changes are faster to apply to the story.
Wait, what? What other server part? This sounds like a very bad idea, people don't like being dependent on the network. I remember in other projects how people complained and left, just because the game once connected to the network to check Patreon and this was already the extreme point.

Of course, Crush can make a hybrid that can work offline, but this sounds like another unnecessary complication of development and as a feature that is not needed for end players.

• Angry
Reactions: Master of Puppets
Feb 27, 2017
Part of it might not be because crush is a scam artist or a bad person intentionally. Humans easily take things for granted and that doesn't mean they are bad people, it means they are human. When you have a steady flow of patreon support/money you can end up taking that for granted. People are supporting, they like you, like the game, so instead of starting bangkok; crush might think "maybe i can tinker with the sex engine and make it even better." If this works, then the pay off is great, but if it doesn't work it delays the game and pisses off a lot of people. Unfortunately for crush it didn't work fully, and he started having problems integrating it with the story/scenes.

There are many reasons crush wanted to work on the back end. The most notable being that if you write tons of story then later work on the back end, you have to go through ALL that story you wrote and make changes, which is a shit ton of work. VS having very little story written so when you work on the back end the changes are faster to apply to the story.

That being said... i also think some people have different view of patreon - including me. It's not paying for an end product. I am not losing my life savings to crush. I view it as instead of buying a coffee at starbucks once a week i decided to give the cost of that coffee to crush once a month. I don't have to do this. I can stop at any time. But I do this because I support him and the idea for the game, not because I want story content every month with my coffee. It's not a trade... it's not here is a coffee and give me story back. It's here is the cost of a coffee and hope you make a kick ass game!

Anyway, probably everyone will be pissed that I don't think what crush did was intentional. I just think he got carried away and excited about making the game in his vision and took for granted that people were giving him the cost of their coffee every month. If patreon was under the premise that these are everyone's life savings, i don't think he would have so readily taken that for granted.
fixing the foundation before continuing the story is a good idea but if the new version is barely better or not noticable by the end user and it takes years, then it's stupid

if you had played the game from version 0.1 from years ago till now you'd know while the game does look much nicer and have a much cooler system the end result for users isn't that much better, everyone would of prefered to just keep the old system and complete the game by now and work on all these new features for the next one

Reactions: MidaHanna
3.50 star(s) 117 Votes