OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Nothing really new to report, still banking renders for Part 1, including this one...

As has been mentioned before, we are covering a fair amount of 're-imagined' backstory before the big day...
:p

Back to work!
;)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Before I answer the post above this one, might as well share this just for fun...

This classic car may or may not make an appearance in FmF, not planning on it, and I did this render mainly for fun. I should mention that there may be a few notable cameos in FmF however. We won't spoil those for y'all though!

As for Vicky and Frank, though, yeah both of them will be making appearances in FmF.

Back to work!
:cool:

OhWee hey I cant message you but I wanted to ask you something since you're clearly well known in the Daz3D area - this is basically the question
I wouldn't say well known, there are more awesome artists around here than me, but it looks like someone in that other thread already gave you a bit of an answer.

As for Daz 'phoning home', this isn't strictly necessary, and I have two computers now that are isolated from the internet, one by choice and another thanks to Microsoft fubaring my internet connectivity with the the latest 'big' update that was kind of forced on me. But that's another topic.

DIM can work just fine without an internet connection (just select Work Offline when it asks for a login), but I'd recommend connecting once to download all of the freebies, and using Daz Download Manager to download said currently available freebies and to install Daz Studio for you (various Genesis 1-8 packages, other freebies, Hexagon Beta, etc.). By having DIM (Daz Install Manager) install Daz Studio (first), this way DIM will know where to put your Daz Studio files.

Once those are installed and you've applied the serial numbers and everything is working, you can use both Daz Studio and Hexagon in offline mode (Hexagon doesn't have an 'online' mode AFAIK, it's default is offline). Hexagon and Blender are sort of the same thing, but since Hexagon is free you might as well grab it. The Daz to Hexagon bridge works well enough, just save often...

To reiterate, Daz Studio can work just fine in offline mode, for months or years if necessary, you just won't get the latest Daz Studio updates. And there are a few Daz Studio packages available elsewhere on the web if you are considering acquiring it by other means, I'd still recommend getting the latest 'official' packages from Daz3D.com, mainly because you get a lot of freebies along with it, and will hence have aquired those legitimately for free.

You can use DIM to install packages from the Daz3D.com store manually, just manually download them and place them in the Install Manager/Downloads folder manually, DIM should then see them when you start it up in offline mode, if they are 'bona fide' Daz Store products, that is that the labels on the .zip file is set up properly and includes a manifest file.

Stay away from Daz Connect if you plan to work with Daz Studio in this fashion. It's newer, and had issues when it was launched, and is designed to be more 'cloud friendly' if I understand correctly. DIM is designed to be 'offline mode' friendly if you don't mind downloading your content packages manually.

Downloading new freebies each week from the Daz store manually each week can be a bit of a chore, but I did it for well over a year on my offline machine until the graphics card died on it, and am doing this again on Uber laptop.

Poser, on the other hand, wants to phone home all the time, but Poser isn't free and IMHO isn't as intuitive as Daz Studio for beginners, but you didn't ask about Poser. I've only used that program a few times, mainly to convert certain files into Daz Studio friendly formats. I'd recommend not buying Poser unless you have specific reasons for wanting that program. Anyways, yeah Daz Studio (and DIM) works just fine in offline mode, but of course you won't get the latest updates for products you've purchased.

Note that a lot of Poser content can work in Daz Studio, with perhaps some fiddling needed, YMMV. Victoria 3-4 era content is pretty old though, so most people don't use that stuff these days, as Genesis 1-8 is a bit easier to work with. But I digress...

One other note. Products for Daz Studio purchased from other stores (Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.) aren't tracked by Daz3D.com. Daz Studio has a rather open ecosystem, and the Daz3D.com team designed it that way. Hence this is why you can use a bunch of freebies and paid products from other places, such as ShareCG.com, without issue. The Daz3D.com team simply isn't responsible for any issue you may have with said freebies (aren't working correctly, etc.) so no customer support for those... or for file packages acquired by other means... You can also import .objs and use those, but of course those aren't 'rigged' and may need some texture work, but that's a completely different topic...

BTW, we have a thread where we talk about 'Daz Studio friendly' freebies that we've found around the web here.
https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/

But this is a question best asked in it's own thread, or in a more relevant thread. A number of people around here will answer questions about Daz Studio, Renpy, etc. if you ask up in the Programming and Development section of this forum, so once you've made enough posts to 'qualify' for making new threads, you can ask up there, or just reply to a relevant thread in the P&D secton. A number of questions have been answered already, the forum search function is your friend!

Hope this helps!
;)

Last edited:

redsus123

Aug 24, 2021
Before I answer the post above this one, might as well share this just for fun...

This classic car may or may not make an appearance in FmF, not planning on it, and I did this render mainly for fun. I should mention that there may be a few notable cameos in FmF however. We won't spoil those for y'all though!

As for Vicky and Frank, though, yeah both of them will be making appearances in FmF.

Back to work!

I wouldn't say well known, there are more awesome artists around here than me, but it looks like someone in that other thread already gave you a bit of an answer.

As for Daz 'phoning home', this isn't strictly necessary, and I have two computers now that are isolated from the internet, one by choice and another thanks to Microsoft fubaring my internet connectivity with the the latest 'big' update that was kind of forced on me. But that's another topic.

DIM can work just fine without an internet connection (just select Work Offline when it asks for a login), but I'd recommend connecting once to download all of the freebies, and using Daz Download Manager to download said currently available freebies and to install Daz Studio for you (various Genesis 1-8 packages, other freebies, Hexagon Beta, etc.). By having DIM (Daz Install Manager) install Daz Studio (first), this way DIM will know where to put your Daz Studio files.

Once those are installed and you've applied the serial numbers and everything is working, you can use both Daz Studio and Hexagon in offline mode (Hexagon doesn't have an 'online' mode AFAIK, it's default is offline). Hexagon and Blender are sort of the same thing, but since Hexagon is free you might as well grab it. The Daz to Hexagon bridge works well enough, just save often...

To reiterate, Daz Studio can work just fine in offline mode, for months or years if necessary, you just won't get the latest Daz Studio updates. And there are a few Daz Studio packages available elsewhere on the web if you are considering acquiring it by other means, I'd still recommend getting the latest 'official' packages from Daz3D.com, mainly because you get a lot of freebies along with it, and will hence have aquired those legitimately for free.

You can use DIM to install packages from the Daz3D.com store manually, just manually download them and place them in the Install Manager/Downloads folder manually, DIM should then see them when you start it up in offline mode, if they are 'bona fide' Daz Store products, that is that the labels on the .zip file is set up properly and includes a manifest file.

Stay away from Daz Connect if you plan to work with Daz Studio in this fashion. It's newer, and had issues when it was launched, and is designed to be more 'cloud friendly' if I understand correctly. DIM is designed to be 'offline mode' friendly if you don't mind downloading your content packages manually.

Downloading new freebies each week from the Daz store manually each week can be a bit of a chore, but I did it for well over a year on my offline machine until the graphics card died on it, and am doing this again on Uber laptop.

Poser, on the other hand, wants to phone home all the time, but Poser isn't free and IMHO isn't as intuitive as Daz Studio for beginners, but you didn't ask about Poser. I've only used that program a few times, mainly to convert certain files into Daz Studio friendly formats. I'd recommend not buying Poser unless you have specific reasons for wanting that program. Anyways, yeah Daz Studio (and DIM) works just fine in offline mode, but of course you won't get the latest updates for products you've purchased.

Note that a lot of Poser content can work in Daz Studio, with perhaps some fiddling needed, YMMV. Victoria 3-4 era content is pretty old though, so most people don't use that stuff these days, as Genesis 1-8 is a bit easier to work with. But I digress...

One other note. Products for Daz Studio purchased from other stores (Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.) aren't tracked by Daz3D.com. Daz Studio has a rather open ecosystem, and the Daz3D.com team designed it that way. Hence this is why you can use a bunch of freebies and paid products from other places, such as ShareCG.com, without issue. The Daz3D.com team simply isn't responsible for any issue you may have with said freebies (aren't working correctly, etc.) so no customer support for those... or for file packages acquired by other means... You can also import .objs and use those, but of course those aren't 'rigged' and may need some texture work, but that's a completely different topic...

BTW, we have a thread where we talk about 'Daz Studio friendly' freebies that we've found around the web here.
https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/

But this is a question best asked in it's own thread, or in a more relevant thread. A number of people around here will answer questions about Daz Studio, Renpy, etc. if you ask up in the Programming and Development section of this forum, so once you've made enough posts to 'qualify' for making new threads, you can ask up there, or just reply to a relevant thread in the P&D secton. A number of questions have been answered already, the forum search function is your friend!

Hope this helps!
;)
hey appreciate the answer thanks a lot bud

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just a quick update. Yes we are still plugging away!

RustyV and I have been focused on the 'opening act' of FmF, which is rather involved and has a lot of associated renders. We don't want to spoil anything for y'all though, so we haven't been sharing renders for the most part here.

We are going back several months before the 'big day', although all characters depicted will still be 18 or older when we first meet them in the story. So they will be Seniors in High School or older, such as the chap at the right who graduated from high school decades ago.

Some of you may recognize him, or at least whom he is a homage to. Yes he's making a cameo of sorts in the story. Some of you may have figured that out already though...
:p

Still shooting for Late September for Pt 1... It's a 'labor of love/free' project so no patrons to disappoint if we end up with a delay, but we'd still like to make the 5 year Anniversary.

Back to work!
o_O

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just a quick progress report...

We are of course still plugging away. The opening secton has grown a bit since RustyV and I began working on FmF, and it is rather involved now. There are a couple of decision gates that will influence what renders are shown, and there are essentially six paths that are associated with these decisons, you'll see three of them in any given playthrough based on your initial choices. There are two paths each for 'Dee', 'Elle' and 'Jen', in quotes because you can rename these characters if you so choose.

I'm currently working on 'side story' renders. The render I shared in my last post above being one of said side stories. This one also ties in to a related side story...

As this is a 'parody' homage, RustyV and I are of course having some fun with the various backstories. As I mentioned before, expect a few cameos...

Anyways, I'm worried that we may miss our target date, and just wanted to warn everyone now. I'd rather that we develop the story WE want to tell than cut stuff out just to meet a deadline, said deadline being the five year anniversary of the first DMD release (at the end of this month). We are doing this completely for free, so no patrons to disappoint, but I'd still like to make that deadline if we can. We shall see...

RustyV has a cool FmF related render that I want him to share with y'all, I'll ask him to post it up here. I could post it, but it's his render so he should get the likes for that one, not me.

Back to work!
;)

• Love
Reactions: Sierra025 and zehyr

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Update time...

Just a random image that may or may not be related to FmF...

So, according to the dates on the DMD 001 demo that I found back in March, the first DMD demo (the game we are parodying of course!) was compiled on September 27th, 2016.

We still have a bit to work to do on FmF Part 1. Due to story bloat, and having real lives outside of this free project, I'm not optimistic about hitting that September 27th date.

As it stands right now, FmF is now being broken into three parts instead of two. Part Two is actually mostly complete, but still needs a few things. Part One, well I still need to do some more renders, plus assemble the build. The build is ready to go, I just need to add stuff, and due to my photo editing background and wanting to keep the download sizes down a bit, I'll need to convert a number of .pngs to optimized .jpgs and also do my curve magic...

We've considered the idea of just doing a demo, but Part 1 isn't THAT far off from being done, so the current plan is to just focus on Part 1.

Maybe we'll do some special renders or something on the 27th to tide y'all over while we still plug away, as time allows.

Right now, per a request on my end, RustyV is working on an added story element. I'm pretty excited to see what he comes up with.

I'm really excited about sharing what Part 1 will bring. It's a different take of course, which will culminate at the end of the 'Big Day' in part 3, but we wanted to have fun exploring a different angle on the lives of the three main characters ('Dee' 'Elle' and 'Jen', or whatever you choose to call them). All while leaning heavily into the FmF theme while we are at it...

GPU prices continue to go up (the GPU I want is now over 250% of MSRP, and I refuse to play the scalper's game for the specific GPU I want), so I continue to make due with 'Uber Laptop' and have been dealing with Daz crashing more than usual... which is annoying and tripping me up a bit and slowing things down.

So blame the delay on me! It's a team effort, but the two of us would rather do this right than half-assed!

Your continued patience is most appreciated.
Back to work!
:whistle:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
FmF progress report...

This is an 'ingame' screenshot. I'm probably going to see if I can rework the drape on this teddy and re-render this pic, it's bugging me...

I'm currently adding story elements to the FmF Renpy build for Chapter 1. The interface is working more or less as I intended, and I figured out how to incorporate 'save descriptions' to our save and load pages, which will allow people to name their saves, up to 54 characters allowed for said save descriptions. There are 60 save slots, plus 12 quicksave and 12 autosave slots, which should be more than enough for this story, which won't be all that long when it's done.

There's still some more renders that need to get done for Chapter 1, but the Chapter 1 renders are mostly done at this point. RustyV is wrapping up a story element on his end, and I have a secy scene that I still need to wrap up as well.

Anyways, we are still a bit away from a Chapter 1 (of 3 chapters) release, but we are in the home stretch at least!
;)

Edit: Better...

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Quick progress report...

fmf_galspizza.jpg

I'm slowly working through the code for the story, as I optimize the pics for our build. Mainly this involves going from a .png format to an optimized .jpg format to reduce the download size, as well as tweaking other stuff a bit. I'm not a fan of webp, and my version of Photoshop doesn't do .webp anyways...

The full story for Parts 1 and 2 are mostly done as I mentioned before, but there are a few scenes that are still being hammered away at. There will be three chapters in total, and saves from previous chapters should work with no issues, we shall see. There are only three main variables being tracked, and I want to keep it that way...

There are several scenes in Part 3 that haven't been tackled yet, including the ending scenes. We'll get to those eventually...

There are also completed ending variables, but that won't be a factor until part 3... remember that I want to make it faster when replaying so that people can chase the other endings, so I'll be pondering how to best handle that between now and after Part 2 is released. The 'Big Day' doesn't happen until Parts 2 and 3...

RustyV is hammering away at a rather involved story element while I'm working on coding the story. He 'pre-coded' the story elements he has already completed but there are a few changes involving images and dialogue that I need to incorporate, plus tweaking of the dialogue as needed. I also have to code my story elements into the story, but I haven't got that far yet.

Still watching RTX 3060 GPU prices for my interim rig. There was a glimmer of hope, but prices are now climbing again. UGH!

We both have 'real life' stuff going on ATM, so we are hammering away when our spare time allows. We ARE doing this completely for free after all!

So it'll be a bit yet. Your continued patience is much appreciated!
;)

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Quick progress update:

Were still slowly plugging away as time allows. Real Life stuff has RustyV and I pretty busy atm, which cuts into our free time to work on this.

Most of the pieces are in place, but we still have a bit to go. Your continued patience is most appreciated!

Back to work!
;)

Emma M

Jun 4, 2020
Been a while since I left a comment..Plz take all the time you both need,I understand all the hard work that goes into make a game tho i cant myself make one lol and im still if not more looking forward to when its released thank you :D(y)

• Love

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Emma M , etc.

Just a quick insight as to why this is taking longer than we had originally planned.

RustyV has been running with an idea we agreed upon for the last several weeks, that ties in with a story element. I created several new assets for this story element, similar to how I spent some time on house set construction earlier this year.

Keep in mind that RustyV now has other things demanding a lot of his time, so he has limited time to work on stuff. I don't have a problem with this, I'm in a similar situation ATM.

Anyways, last week he expressed concern that the story element he is currently working on is becoming too large, and hence overshadow a related story element. I simply told him that I didn't have any problem whatsoever with the 'story bloat' as I think it's really cool and said that I could adjust things accordingly without issue. I'm very much looking forward to the 'finished product' but then of course will need to add it to the code for the 'main game' which will take a bit of time.

I also have a few more renders I still need to do as well, and am plugging away at them as creative energy allows.

Part 1 has really exploded as far as story elements, which I don't mind at all. A number of ideas have been nixed of course, but a lot of other ideas have been dovetailed into the game. Hopefully people will like the finished project, but it's the story that the two of us are having a lot of fun developing, which keeps us hammering away at it.

I could be more specific, but I don't want to spoil things. Everyone's continued patience is most appreciated!

I like to share renders when I make posts here, so here's one that is innocent enough...

Slowly getting there...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Figured that I should post a quick update.

We are still plugging away at Part 1!

(That's NOT 'Dee' at the left btw...)

As to what the hold up is, remember that we are doing this project for free, and have real life stuff going on to pay the bills, etc.. So we do this in our free time, which is at a premium atm..

So I'm feeling the need to outline where we are at:

Part 1: 90% complete. Most renders are done, I'm focusing on fill in renders for now. Rusty V is of course also working on renders.

Part 2: 75% complete. Over half of the renders are done, story is in early draft stages. Part 2 was set aside when we split Part 1 into two parts, after deciding to add some new story elements to Part 1.

Part 3: Not a lot done yet. Story is outlined, but we've mostly been focusing on Parts 1 and 2. A few renders have been banked, but a lot more will be needed...

- So is Part 1 close?

Yes. Right now RustyV is wrapping up a story element as his free time permits. Gotta luv day jobs! I'm reworking another story element with a few new renders to improve story flow. I'm adding the dialogue to the Renpy build chronologically as I work out the existing story elements.

There's a 'closing' story element that I'm currently debating whether I want to wrap up now or leave 'in the middle' as a cliffhanger for Part 2. There's sex involved, with an interesting decision to make, and I'm procrastinating on rendering the sex scenes and working on other stuff instead. If it comes down to the wire, I may punt and go cliffhanger so as to not delay things any further, we shall see...

One reason I'm procrastinating here is that my Uber Laptop can't connect to the internet atm (Windows Update fubared my connectivity, patches haven't fixed the issue, don't want to risk a re-install screwing things up worse), and my Daz install has an issue where if a render goes CPU only, it just crashes. This particular scene is right at the edge VRAM wise, so I'm seeing a lot of crashes, followed by waiting a few minutes to reload the scene. I am saving often, to newer fileneames so that I have fallbacks in case the latest save ends up having an issue. So I'm working on other FmF stuff instead when I can to lower my frustration level... insane GPU prices have me annoyed too, and may not get better anytime soon, and I'm pinching pennies/refuse to pay over 2x MSRP if I can manage to make do in the meantime...

RustyV and I are, as I've said, busy with other Real Life stuff, and neither is waiting on the other atm, we both still have stuff to do FmF wise. We'll get 'er done when we can.

So in the meantime, apologies for the ongoing delay! Thank you for your continued patience!
;)

DarthDeke

Jun 4, 2017
Wow!! This collaboration is going to be AWESOME! Here's my 2 cents worth: Nothing is for free, so tell me that you have a site set up to receive donations..since I admire all ya'lls work so much, it's the only way I have to say THANKS

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes