Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I can't remember the last time I had to edit the shebang at the top of a .sh file in these things. I didn't have to do that here either, so I'm just assuming that you meant it had bad file permissions (ie execute bit not set). I find that rar and possibly one or more other archivers that Winders people pay good money for end up fucking up the execute bit on critical runtime. I can immediately tell this in konsole when doing an "ls" because the executable files are color coded differently. The quick fix is two chmods at the top level folder:

Code:
chmod -R a+rx lib
chmod a+rx *.sh
The whole lib subtree is brute force, but the Renpy runtime has files under there that need to be set with the execute bit.
No. The perms were fine. It was just the naming scheme. I really appreciate all the 'tips'. But, this was a simple fix. I've been on Linux since Windows 95 was new.

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Donor
Compressor
Apr 2, 2019
Ahaha Thanks. But, that wasn't the problem. The problem was the .sh launcher itself. Not the code.
Ah, Mukashi renamed the launchers without also renaming the Linux executable located inside the corresponding lib subdirectory (most probably lib/linux-x86_64/FoodTruckStory in your case). Gotcha.

You still need to properly quote though. :geek:

Last edited:

Raife

May 16, 2018
I'll start a walkthrough as paths get more complicated, and some (later) choices may hurt your chances! In general though I want to keep the early part of the game pretty open, where you can get a feel for everyone without being locked out of options
Mukashi, your choice to ensure that early decisions don't 'lock out' the MC from particular routes strikes me as wise. Excessive plot branching can kill otherwise good games: either because it makes multiple playthroughs difficult, or because it exhausts the Dev by creating a huge amount of work. It's very important to give players a sense of 'agency' -- i.e. that their choices matter and can change the story/character development -- but that can be accomplished without branches (or by saving radical branching for the very end in a multiple-ending game).

Personally -- and these are just personal preferences, mind you -- I like games with very distinctive female NPCs that don't fall into cookie-cutter types. I particularly enjoy strong women who won't necessarily go along with what the MC wants, if it doesn't fit their personality... thus far, your game fits that bill. Personalities like this allow you to create a sense of risk, through cheating scenarios or other choices, which I also enjoy.

Please resist the temptation to create a 'giant harem' featuring most of the girls. I understand you're doing a harem path... and that's OK (although it's not my cup of tea). But if you do a smaller harem, please involve girls who have compatible personalities that might plausibly fit together. 'Giant harem' games tend to undercut the female NPC's personalities by making them do things that their characters would not be open to. Does that make sense?

Reactions: Afield and Mukashi

Synge

Mar 7, 2018
I played this game and I liked it.

F...k :eek: Am I a pervert ?

No, I'm an hedonist. Thx Democritus, you saved my self-worth. :love:

• Haha
Reactions: Mukashi

Mukashi

Food Truck Story
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
Ah, Mukashi renamed the launchers without also renaming the Linux executable located inside the corresponding lib subdirectory (most probably lib/linux-x86_64/FoodTruckStory in your case). Gotcha.

You still need to properly quote though. :geek:
I didn't know so many people use linux :oops: but yeah I learned my lesson to not mess with renaming things LOL

Mukashi, your choice to ensure that early decisions don't 'lock out' the MC from particular routes strikes me as wise. Excessive plot branching can kill otherwise good games: either because it makes multiple playthroughs difficult, or because it exhausts the Dev by creating a huge amount of work. It's very important to give players a sense of 'agency' -- i.e. that their choices matter and can change the story/character development -- but that can be accomplished without branches (or by saving radical branching for the very end in a multiple-ending game).

Personally -- and these are just personal preferences, mind you -- I like games with very distinctive female NPCs that don't fall into cookie-cutter types. I particularly enjoy strong women who won't necessarily go along with what the MC wants, if it doesn't fit their personality... thus far, your game fits that bill. Personalities like this allow you to create a sense of risk, through cheating scenarios or other choices, which I also enjoy.

Please resist the temptation to create a 'giant harem' featuring most of the girls. I understand you're doing a harem path... and that's OK (although it's not my cup of tea). But if you do a smaller harem, please involve girls who have compatible personalities that might plausibly fit together. 'Giant harem' games tend to undercut the female NPC's personalities by making them do things that their characters would not be open to. Does that make sense?
Dang, you're spot on with everything. One of the most difficult parts is making the branching paths early on meet up back to the same spot. I too have seen it where a dev chose to put a game-altering decision within the first 15 minutes, and then hey look at that! You're making two games now o_O Reining in the amount of choice is something I have struggled with as, but I think I'm finding a good balance as I go.

Personalities are something I definitely care about, especially with a (somewhat) small cast of main girls. It just makes it that much more fun to find out different quirks/what makes them tick! To your next point, it makes total sense. I've thought A LOT about the possible pairings/friendships between the girls, and how their personalities interact. Small instances like how Ana + Charlie call eachother names at the party, or how Emily + Claire tease Mei during yoga, these are some of my favorite things to write. They show that these people have friendships/interactions outside of MC, and I can't wait to show more of them:giggle:

As for how that plays into more intimate pairings, I still have a lot to work out. I know that there will be a lot of options, but I'll make sure I don't work myself into a corner. Thanks for all of your great points!

I played this game and I liked it.

F...k :eek: Am I a pervert ?

No, I'm an hedonist. Thx Democritus, you saved my self-worth. :love:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Raife

Reese286

Nov 24, 2017
Thanks Dev, don't know how I missed this till now, really enjoyed this. The models and interactions are realistic, the girls cute af and not the usual off-the-shelf ones we see way too often. I like 'Slice of Life' games, especially when the MC has his head screwed on straight and the cast and story reflect reality and have some depth. Well done Dev, appreciate ya.

• Red Heart

Mukashi

Food Truck Story
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
Hello! Food Truck Story - Chapter 4 (v0.40) is now available on for $5+ patrons!

This is the first half of Chapter 4, which includes 185 new renders, and a host of fixes:
Please enjoy :giggle:

7.png

Last edited:

Reese286

Nov 24, 2017
Hello! Food Truck Story - Chapter 4 (v0.40) is now available on for $5+ patrons!

This is the first half of Chapter 4, which includes 185 new renders, and a host of fixes:
Please enjoy :giggle:

View attachment 1396332
Downloading now from the Patreon link, Can't wait. Appreciate ya Mukashi, :love: proud to be a supporter and love what you are doing.

• Red Heart

jussi818

Jul 17, 2017
wow am i coming old or what ,thursday posted and i notice sunday new release ;) ;) only up 3 days later hehe

neppyyy

Jun 26, 2020
Really enjoying it so far! Only issue is that I crash before all the credits. I managed to luck through it for the first playthrough and got an autosave that managed to pick the beginning of chapter 2, but now I can no longer go from chapter 1 to chapter 2 or chapter 2 to chapter 3... Any idea what I can do?

4.00 star(s) 27 Votes