Ren'Py Abandoned Forbidden Wish [v0.3] [XR6]

2.00 star(s) 3 Votes

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
Well, I have "mixed feelings" about that game. It's not bad, but there is a LOT of room for improvement. As others have said, the dialogues are not fluent, and it is clear that the developer is not a native English speaking person, too. The renders are also far from current standards, there's heavy noise in them.

On the positive side, the two girls don't look that bad, and the story could be getting interesting (but is extremely rushed now, the bj came out of nowhere).

But there is one thing that is really bad imo: I was curious and had a look at the developer's Patreon page and... well... it's so bad, that it's actually funny again. This is a start of a new game project, from a new dev (with at best avarage skills so far) - but of course all posts are locked! (with - surprise - zero patrons so far). Who should now actually read those posts? You definitely don't gain potential new patrons doing that. For me that is really bad advertising for your new project. But it's getting even worse: if you want to download the game "official" after this short demo, you'd have to take the tier with at least $22.50 - wtf? For that kind of work? Oh dear...

Well, nevertheless good luck to the dev. Hopefully I'm wrong, but honestly I would be really surprised if there are more then 1-2 updates coming before the game is abandoned again...

Edit Jan. 2, 2022:
With v0.2 the renders are now way better. The dialogs have also a bit improved. Still some flaws here and there and the story itself is also still to rushed for me. But at least it's ok now (havn't tried the patch from SoiCowboy). And as someone mentioned maybe add the backstory (a part of it) to the beginning. But it's at least a big step forward on the technical side, good luck!

Last edited:

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
UPDATE
v0.2
Main character Upgrade
Fixed renders quality + animations
New scenes + dialogs added
The renders look much better, as well as the MC. I'm not sure why you still left the "choice" to check her out when it has to happen. Is it safe to say that English is not your native language? I ask because it comes across as very robotic. Also exclamation points are for excitement and shock, or anger, not completely normal conversations.

One small suggestion, you may want to put together a small prologue or something so the player knows what is going on. The game stars with everyone but the player knowing what the hell is happening.

Edit: Having a look at the images it looks like you could get better compression with the webp format. The game is going to be massive if you stay with the uncompressed png images and video files with a 20+ Mb/s bit-rate.

Last edited:

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
The difference in quality between the two women in the preview pictures is a little grating. One of them looks pretty good, but the other one looks like a shrink-wrapped puppet with doll face.

MisterNephilim

Jan 1, 2019
Well that escalated quickly, from "Hi nice to meet you for the first time, I'm your new ward" to a handjob in a couple of hours.

I would suggest either maybe slowing down or giving the option (via choices like in other VNs) to turn her down and take it slower.

Anyways, I wish you the best and I'll keep an eye on it, Claire looks great.

Reactions: Deamate and Skeltom

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Well that escalated quickly, from "Hi nice to meet you for the first time, I'm your new ward" to a handjob in a couple of hours.

I would suggest either maybe slowing down or giving the option (via choices like in other VNs) to turn her down and take it slower.

Anyways, I wish you the best and I'll keep an eye on it, Claire looks great.
Yeah, it's like a bullet train. 0.1 was the same, there is not much incentive pay for the cow if your getting the milk for free.

Reactions: MisterNephilim

WildBillKatt

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, it's like a bullet train. 0.1 was the same, there is not much incentive pay for the cow if your getting the milk for free.
I say good. Far too many games have a super slow (10 year) burn. If this dev basically completes a short, minimal buildup game in 2 or 3 months but has people like it, may be a premade audience for a future, longer running game.

Reactions: blastwave2k

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
I say good. Far too many games have a super slow (10 year) burn. If this dev basically completes a short, minimal buildup game in 2 or 3 months but has people like it, may be a premade audience for a future, longer running game.
I guess I'm on the opposite side of the fence. These things are called visual novels, emphasis on the novels. If the devs what to rush right along just to get some kind of support, instead of putting work into their current project I guess that's their prerogative but I don't see the point. Not to mention in that scenario they would finish the game before they even made any money off of it, which is the whole reason someone starts a patreon page.

WildBillKatt

Oct 4, 2018
I guess I'm on the opposite side of the fence. These things are called visual novels, emphasis on the novels. If the devs what to rush right along just to get some kind of support, instead of putting work into their current project I guess that's their prerogative but I don't see the point. Not to mention in that scenario they would finish the game before they even made any money off of it, which is the whole reason someone starts a patreon page.
What about this though: He seems to still be learning renders, how to write a good story, and is not a native English speaker. Might make a crappy long-term VN and get frustrated when people call it crappy. But with a little experience said VN might be substantially better from the start. Which is when you really have to grab your audience.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
What about this though: He seems to still be learning renders, how to write a good story, and is not a native English speaker. Might make a crappy long-term VN and get frustrated when people call it crappy. But with a little experience said VN might be substantially better from the start. Which is when you really have to grab your audience.
There are many way to look at a situation like this. An argument could be made for like you said someone just starting out and not even knowing the basics of what is needed to actually deliver on there end goal, making the whole situation worse for themselves and the potential supporters, is an even more detrimental start. If the initial response for something is poor, it's much harder to bounce back from that.

To me adding an even bigger learning curve into something like this is only going to exacerbate things. I think if someone is going to start a project like this, which is really no small feat, they should take the time to learn their medium before hand. That way the whole processes is much more agreeable for everyone involved. Wanting to do something and being able to are very different things. Especially if you intend to charge someone for what your doing.

I'm not pointing fingers at this dev specifically but there are many cases where devs don't recover from their impatience. They rush something out or just don't put their heart into it and then their stuck with the "oh it's that dev" branding when it could've all been avoided by them just having some patience. But I could just think that because I don't agree with the idea of me paying for someone to learn how to do something. Take a game like this on patreon, to me I'm buying releases of their game, not paying them to learn how to make the game they are selling. I have found everyone I support from this site since a lot of people lock even the tiniest of things behind a pay wall so you have to pay them before you can even know if you like there product. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Reactions: HansDampf788

SoiCowboy

Modder
Jun 13, 2018
Forbidden Wish [0.2]-PC - SoiCowboy Edition
  • Fixed numerous misspellings, grammar, punctuation and words that don't exist.
  • Added some spice through dialogue and thoughts of the characters.
  • Adjusted the Olivia "helping" out the MC scene with additional dialogue.
Place the attached file in your ForbiddenWish-0.2-pc folder. Extract and overwrite if necessary.

Enjoy!

SoiCowboy

Last edited:

Tulllis

Dec 19, 2017
WTF ? ? ? ? ?
another developer who doesn't have the balls for a project. and the protagonist changes because of one or another very sad project that I won't even waste my time looking at, imagine sponsoring or patronege.

Reactions: lnppo

XR6

Game Developer
Jan 28, 2018
Forbidden Wish [0.2]-PC - SoiCowboy Edition
  • Fixed numerous misspellings, grammar, punctuation and words that don't exist.
  • Added some spice through dialogue and thoughts of the characters.
  • Adjusted the Olivia "helping" out the MC with additional dialogue.
Place the attached file in your ForbiddenWish-0.2-pc folder. Extract and overwrite if necessary.

Enjoy!

SoiCowboy
Thank you, I´m grateful!

2.00 star(s) 3 Votes