Codex07

Jul 21, 2019
From what I gather Shiro no yakata was originally the game you referred to and then it took another direction when the other dev wanted to make an action game rather than the horror themed one that Zell started on. (That's what I've read on here anyway, dunno how true it is).
He may go back to the horror game after SNY as he did make a good start on it but he also has succubus affection 2 he's looking at in the future, so who knows when it'll be... I think he wants to do more work on FOBS eventually too.
Zell needs more funding and to be given a team to work with or I need to learn more patience...
After playing both of the game,mc is same but the gameplay is different,so i won't say the game that i mention similliar to SNY,the monster on the game i mention completely different from SNY

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
From what I gather Shiro no yakata was originally the game you referred to and then it took another direction when the other dev wanted to make an action game rather than the horror themed one that Zell started on. (That's what I've read on here anyway, dunno how true it is).
He may go back to the horror game after SNY as he did make a good start on it but he also has succubus affection 2 he's looking at in the future, so who knows when it'll be... I think he wants to do more work on FOBS eventually too.
Zell needs more funding and to be given a team to work with or I need to learn more patience...
I'm seeing confusion regarding this.

I guess I'll chronicle Zell's journey so people get a grasp of what's going on.

Zell started as a solo developer creating pixel art fan-animations of Monstergirl Quest characters on Pixiv.
His of popular girls from MGQ gained some notoriety and he gained a pretty significant Japanese fanbase. Borrowed mostly from MGQ's INSANE popularity.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That game inspired bandwangoners and solo devs alike.

Zell was one of them, but he only made animations.

One day after making a bunch, he decided to try to make his own designs.
Now pixel-art is really tied strongly to platform style games.

Zell was really only interested in the pixel art, but in order to show his work in the best way he decided to try and turn his work into a game. He created FOBS in Flash to start with, with basic elements.

And that's FOBS.

After working on FOBS for a while, he came across... programming issues.
For one thing the engine he was working on didn't have a zoom feature. In order to get his pixel art to look bigger, he literally scaled the pixel art by 2 times.

A single frame being 64x64 became 128x128.

The engine was also 32bit, meaning there was a hard RAM limit of 2GB. The program can NOT borrow more than that.
Developing in that environment early on he faced no issues, but when his game got too big, he started struggling.
His temporary solution was to split the game into two parts, but he was overall not too happy with that, and decided to try to remake the whole game in a 64bit engine with no RAM limits and a zoom feature.

While FOBS was dying he met a programmer who was really eager to work with him. Ansala. Answerer? I'll call him Ansala.
Ansala was a capable programmer with experience in Unity and a fan of his. In fact he was a fan for a long time!

They talked and then cooperated to make a game and that game was Succubus Affection!
Succubus Affection's development was kind of rocky.

Zell had to get used to working with other people. Not just Ansala but the CG artist Ansala brought on board as well. Not only that but Zell didn't lead the project! He just did the art.
But he liked that workflow. He could focus entirely on art.
Story?
Level Design?
Programming?
Bug Testing?

None of that was his problem for better or worse.
Ansala's influence was felt.
Succubus Affection was not a femdom game like FOBS. It was a switch game. Sexually the game is not the same as FOBS. Instead of letting the girls assault you and the protagonist not being able to initiate sex (unless in unique circumstances like FOBS) the protagonist in Succubus Affection is much more proactive sexually.
The girls are much less monstrous, which fits the title of the game "Succubus Affection."
The game is way more actiony, and weird gimmiks and strange level design are completely gone.

Seeing that the game wasn't... completely to his taste, he wanted to make a game with a stronger focus on femdom, and more monstrous girls. No proactive protagonist, but one who'd be unilaterally assaulted by monstrous girls.

That's Shiro No Yakata.

But Shiro No Yakata entered dev hell. He was working on FOBS remake at the same time, and was in the process of moving game engines. He really wanted a better game engine. One that supported zoom and other features. But the more he worked, the more programming challenges he faced. He couldn't make his ideas real, and he was constantly torn from the fun pixel-art drawing of girls he liked to smash his head on programming the game, doing gimmiks, and giving them AI he was satisfied with.

Eventually he gave up.

He didn't want to work on both SnY and the dying FOBS at the same time. So he asked Ansala for help.
Ansala accepted but getting his help meant, the game would have to be on his Ci-En, and he'd be able to influence the direction of the game.

The game slowly changed under Ansala.
SnY added much more humanoid looking girls. A "succubus" unknown. Guess Ansala really likes succubi. Humanoid maid girls. Basically girls he'd personally fuck. He removed the best friend character as he didn't want the girls to be seen fucking other men, as sexual promiscuity wasn't attractive to him. He added more male assertive content.
Hmm... with Ansala's influence.
SnY which was supposed to be different from Succubus Affection. Almost an antithesis even... was going down the same path.

So...

Zell on his fantia started a new game. Ansala is STILL WORKING ON SHIRO NO YAKATA with Zell.
But Zell started a new game called Mysterious Mansion.
Mysterious Mansion follows the spirit of the original Shiro No Yakata. It has multiple male characters, monstrous enemies, and a heavy femdom focus.

The main male lead from Mysterious Mansion looks almost exactly like SnY's protagonist.

___

In short Zell has 3 games he's currently working on. FOBS remake(dead imo), Shiro No Yakata, Mysterious Mansion.

I'm concerned that Ansala and Zell might have a falling out. Tons of things in the relationship don't seem to be too good.
Ansala is a fan of Zell, but he prefers less monstrous girls and male assertive content.
Zell doesn't dislike male assertive content or less monstrous girls, but it's not his focus. Yamabiko(the white girl that yells a projectile at you) in FOBS is a full submissive(both of her scenes are sub scenes) and he created the wall asses, so he's fond of maledom to a certain extent. But that's where Ansala's main preferences lie.

Zell likes level design and gimmiks to give identity to locales while Ansala prefers working on intriguing combat encounters with flashy effects to increase the tension and energy of encounters.

Not to mention the speed and dedication both have to their works being very different.

xZecretX

Jun 6, 2017

Zell started as a solo developer creating pixel art fan-animations of Monstergirl Quest characters on Pixiv.
His of popular girls from MGQ gained some notoriety and he gained a pretty significant Japanese fanbase. Borrowed mostly from MGQ's INSANE popularity.

Zell was really only interested in the pixel art, but in order to show his work in the best way he decided to try and turn his work into a game. He created FOBS in Flash to start with, with basic elements.

And that's FOBS.

For one thing the engine he was working on didn't have a zoom feature. In order to get his pixel art to look bigger, he literally scaled the pixel art by 2 times.

The engine was also 32bit, meaning there was a hard RAM limit of 2GB. The program can NOT borrow more than that.
Developing in that environment early on he faced no issues, but when his game got too big, he started struggling.
His temporary solution was to split the game into two parts, but he was overall not too happy with that, and decided to try to remake the whole game in a 64bit engine with no RAM limits and a zoom feature.

While FOBS was dying he met a programmer who was really eager to work with him. Ansala. Answerer? I'll call him Ansala.
Ansala was a capable programmer with experience in Unity and a fan of his. In fact he was a fan for a long time!

They talked and then cooperated to make a game and that game was Succubus Affection!

Zell had to get used to working with other people. Not just Ansala but the CG artist Ansala brought on board as well. Not only that but Zell didn't lead the project! He just did the art.
Story?
Level Design?
Programming?
Bug Testing?

Succubus Affection was not a femdom game like FOBS. It was a switch game. Sexually the game is not the same as FOBS. Instead of letting the girls assault you and the protagonist not being able to initiate sex (unless in unique circumstances like FOBS) the protagonist in Succubus Affection is much more proactive sexually.
The girls are much less monstrous, which fits the title of the game "Succubus Affection."
The game is way more actiony, and weird gimmiks and strange level design are completely gone.

Seeing that the game wasn't... completely to his taste, he wanted to make a game with a stronger focus on femdom, and more monstrous girls. No proactive protagonist, but one who'd be unilaterally assaulted by monstrous girls.

That's Shiro No Yakata.

But Shiro No Yakata entered dev hell. He was working on FOBS remake at the same time, and was in the process of moving game engines. He really wanted a better game engine. One that supported zoom and other features. But the more he worked, the more programming challenges he faced. He couldn't make his ideas real, and he was constantly torn from the fun pixel-art drawing of girls he liked to smash his head on programming the game, doing gimmiks, and giving them AI he was satisfied with.

Eventually he gave up.

He didn't want to work on both SnY and the dying FOBS at the same time. So he asked Ansala for help.
Ansala accepted but getting his help meant, the game would have to be on his Ci-En, and he'd be able to influence the direction of the game.

SnY added much more humanoid looking girls. A "succubus" unknown. Guess Ansala really likes succubi. Humanoid maid girls. Basically girls he'd personally fuck. He removed the best friend character as he didn't want the girls to be seen fucking other men, as sexual promiscuity wasn't attractive to him. He added more male assertive content.
SnY which was supposed to be different from Succubus Affection. Almost an antithesis even... was going down the same path.

So...

Zell on his fantia started a new game. Ansala is STILL WORKING ON SHIRO NO YAKATA with Zell.
Mysterious Mansion follows the spirit of the original Shiro No Yakata. It has multiple male characters, monstrous enemies, and a heavy femdom focus.

The main male lead from Mysterious Mansion looks almost exactly like SnY's protagonist.

___

In short Zell has 3 games he's currently working on. FOBS remake(dead imo), Shiro No Yakata, Mysterious Mansion.

I'm concerned that Ansala and Zell might have a falling out. Tons of things in the relationship don't seem to be too good.
Ansala is a fan of Zell, but he prefers less monstrous girls and male assertive content.
Zell doesn't dislike male assertive content or less monstrous girls, but it's not his focus. Yamabiko(the white girl that yells a projectile at you) in FOBS is a full submissive(both of her scenes are sub scenes) and he created the wall asses, so he's fond of maledom to a certain extent. But that's where Ansala's main preferences lie.

Zell likes level design and gimmiks to give identity to locales while Ansala prefers working on intriguing combat encounters with flashy effects to increase the tension and energy of encounters.

Not to mention the speed and dedication both have to their works being very different.
Am I missing something? I was sure several people pointed out that SA2 is being worked on, or did they confuse it with the other project?

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Am I missing something? I was sure several people pointed out that SA2 is being worked on, or did they confuse it with the other project?
Succubus Affection 2 was halted temporarily because Ansala took up the programming of SnY.
Once Ansala finishes programming SnY the next thing he'll work on is probably Succubus Affection 2.

panel1

Mar 27, 2020
man, that's sad. Femdom contents are like already rare and ones with good arts (especially drawn 2Ds) are even more so but if all that is true then I feel like Zell might drop making these things soon or something. I can count on my fingers the amount of femdom game creators and now I feels like it's just gonna get less now.

• Sad
Reactions: Joe Brass
May 27, 2021

And that's FOBS.

Story?
Level Design?
Programming?
Bug Testing?

That's Shiro No Yakata.

Eventually he gave up.

So...

___

Extremely interesting read. Also, why did you say Dieselmine only cares about money? Am I missing something?

SeltzerSellout

Feb 24, 2019

And that's FOBS.

Story?
Level Design?
Programming?
Bug Testing?

That's Shiro No Yakata.

Eventually he gave up.

So...

___

Thank you so much you're a legend. I could read that kind of eroge history all day, if you want to share more of your knowledge and keep these writings accessible somewhere that'd be great

AHornyLad99

Dec 14, 2020

And that's FOBS.

Story?
Level Design?
Programming?
Bug Testing?

That's Shiro No Yakata.

Eventually he gave up.

So...

___

Are there any versions available of this Mysterious Mansion game?

SeltzerSellout

Feb 24, 2019
There's been new posts on ci-en for Shiro no yakata, including news that Answerer is working on some rogue-like card game inspired by Slay the Spire (the gif showcasing it is 43mb too large, and I can't upload it). They plan on releasing that either as a minigame for Succubus Affection 2, or as a standalone bonus. It's a breath of fresh air for Answerer because some of the work for Shiro no Yakata became quite repetitive, so this side project requires different things to program.

As for Shiro no Yakata, they're making progress on the game's maps(they want to make a big one like Ender Lilies or Hollow Knight, and been working at it for a while), to make sure their concepts and drafts are realistic and can be actually done. If I understood correctly, they want to finish most of the map system before the end of the year, so, during the next 2 months.
As for the gameplay mechanics, items, accessories etc. it's almost playable.
And seems like there are rescuable religious sisters to be found while exploring.
(but seems like they haven't shown much proof of concept for Shiro no Yakata, and often the same characters and sprites in posts. But if we take Answerer to their words, it seems like they're making decent progress lately.

Zell's 1st post in a year confirms what TheUnsaid suspected: Making the remake of FOBS's been more pain than fun for Zell. He's moving on and away from FOBS for now.
His goal: releasing a function level 1 of his new horror game(temporary name): Shiratane no tou (Tower of Shiratane). It might be set in the same universe as FOBS if I understood correctly. This is the same game TheUnsaid talked about, calling it "Mysterious Mansion".
He shared a few animations which were shared elsewhere in the past too, but seems like he's been working at it. They do seem to fit a different mood than what we've seen from Shiro no Yakata: more monstrous, more horror themed, more weird.

Conclusion: To me, seems like they're making more progress than before lately, on both Shiro no Yakata, and the new Zell horror game. We might see some cool news in the near future/incoming months.

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Extremely interesting read. Also, why did you say Dieselmine only cares about money? Am I missing something?
Dieselmine isn't a developer, but a company that's full of a bunch of random creatives.

They sometimes make heavy rape gangbang games like orc invasion and sometimes made femdom games.
At one point they realized that the femdom community would not buy the maledom games, and the other way around. The individual creatives also "generally" wouldn't work together and include the other side's content in their game.

They literally just follow eroge trends.

When MGQ got popular they made their own series of Violated Hero games.

Recently, They found some creatives who can push forward a creative vision but Dieselmine's trying to make money (cause they have a lot of people to support). They have deadlines and treat game dev more like a full-time job.

man, that's sad. Femdom contents are like already rare and ones with good arts (especially drawn 2Ds) are even more so but if all that is true then I feel like Zell might drop making these things soon or something. I can count on my fingers the amount of femdom game creators and now I feels like it's just gonna get less now.
No need to get so pessimistic. You really think Zell's gonna lose interest in creating MG content?
I don't think so.

These are just challenges he's facing.

MrNice88

May 28, 2022

And that's FOBS.

Story?
Level Design?
Programming?
Bug Testing?

That's Shiro No Yakata.

Eventually he gave up.

So...

___

Thanks for that informative reply, it was a good read.
I'd love to see a FOBS remake so it could be all it can be, but I totally get why that may not be too appealing to make again for Zell. I really enjoyed both SA and FOBS, Zell's animations are just awesome, so I hope they get past any differences they have and keep working together. Succubus affection seemed to be quite successful, so I would've thought that's the next port of call after SNY, I hope so anyway.

Last edited:

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Thanks for that informative reply, it was a good read.
I'd love to see a FOBS remake so it could be all it can be, but I totally get why that may not be too appealing to make again for Zell. I really enjoyed both SA and FOBS, Zell's animations are just awesome, so I hope they get past any differences they have and keep working together. Succubus affection seemed to be quite successful, so I would've thought that's the next port of call after SNY, I hope so anyway.
I'm not as fond of Succubus Affection as I am of FOBS.

I don't like the male assertive focus.
The only time in the game where you have to see female assertive content is the intro.

Every time you capture a girl you'll see the male assertive content. In fact, after the intro and I guess a little bit during the ending, you can completely avoid the femdom content entirely. Unless you're bad of course. Then you might see some of it.

On a design level it's a switch game.
When you defeat them, you can dom them.
If they defeat you, you get dommed.

But it's a game. You're going to be winning 99% of the time so functionally, you're mostly experiencing "when you defeat them, you can dom them."

___

When it comes to the disparity between Zell and Ansala, I'm halfway between them.
I also prefer more humanoid girls. I don't like monster girls for the monstrous nature. I like them because they're assertive and proactive.

Monstergirls can't give footjobs normally (harpies, minotaur and the like). They can't give handjobs normally (scaly hands, or other strange extremities). Some don't have butts (centaurs and mermaids).

I think women are attractive as a whole, so the fact that monster girls generally lack a lot of feminine parts is a detriment.

In this, I agree with Ansala. I like more humanoid girls. Not... normal skin tone girls though. Like.. unique skin tones, with horns and other stuff are great.

But I don't like the maledom focus Ansala brings to the table.

In Succubus Affection it feels like, the "Down" scene belonged to Ansala, and the "Up" scene belonged to Zell. Eventually. Early Succubus Affection doesn't fit this entirely.

Down scene was always some insertion scene where the MC took a proactive role. Up scene was the females engaging. But that could either mean foreplay or sex. So most of the intercourse in the game was male assertive.

Reactions: weradti

P-1000

Jan 2, 2022
There's been new posts on ci-en for Shiro no yakata, including news that Answerer is working on some rogue-like card game inspired by Slay the Spire (the gif showcasing it is 43mb too large, and I can't upload it). They plan on releasing that either as a minigame for Succubus Affection 2, or as a standalone bonus. It's a breath of fresh air for Answerer because some of the work for Shiro no Yakata became quite repetitive, so this side project requires different things to program.

As for Shiro no Yakata, they're making progress on the game's maps(they want to make a big one like Ender Lilies or Hollow Knight, and been working at it for a while), to make sure their concepts and drafts are realistic and can be actually done. If I understood correctly, they want to finish most of the map system before the end of the year, so, during the next 2 months.
As for the gameplay mechanics, items, accessories etc. it's almost playable.
And seems like there are rescuable religious sisters to be found while exploring.
(but seems like they haven't shown much proof of concept for Shiro no Yakata, and often the same characters and sprites in posts. But if we take Answerer to their words, it seems like they're making decent progress lately.

Zell's 1st post in a year confirms what TheUnsaid suspected: Making the remake of FOBS's been more pain than fun for Zell. He's moving on and away from FOBS for now.
His goal: releasing a function level 1 of his new horror game(temporary name): Shiratane no tou (Tower of Shiratane). It might be set in the same universe as FOBS if I understood correctly. This is the same game TheUnsaid talked about, calling it "Mysterious Mansion".
He shared a few animations which were shared elsewhere in the past too, but seems like he's been working at it. They do seem to fit a different mood than what we've seen from Shiro no Yakata: more monstrous, more horror themed, more weird.

Conclusion: To me, seems like they're making more progress than before lately, on both Shiro no Yakata, and the new Zell horror game. We might see some cool news in the near future/incoming months.
For the first part about the gif of 43mb you can convert the gif into mp4 and cut it in 2 parts, and who is this "TheUnsaid"

yusk0975

Jun 8, 2020
I was under the impression that "Mysterious Mansion" and "Shiro no Yakata" were two different things. Isn't this a SNY version?
no, its not, SNY is an action-platformer game (i think) just like Succubus Affection, and The Mysterious Mansion is a horror game, which you can't fight the monster girls

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
no, its not, SNY is an action-platformer game (i think) just like Succubus Affection, and The Mysterious Mansion is a horror game, which you can't fight the monster girls
Umm... you agreed with him.

You both just said they were different games.

Smup

Aug 18, 2020
I was under the impression that "Mysterious Mansion" and "Shiro no Yakata" were two different things. Isn't this a SNY version?
well its simply because they are in fact very much alike. this is because SnY was suppose to have a "horror" focused aspect but that changed to a more "action" focused game cus of the coder. but the old SnY demo's still have this aspect.

pretty sure zell still wanted to make a "horror" focused game so he decided to make "Mysterious Mansion" while still also doing the art for SnY (not that getting raped by thicc monster girls is what i call "scary" but eh whatever suits you i guess)

4.40 star(s) 14 Votes