IDontPay

Jul 25, 2019
Its up to the coder. I would say in a span of 2 weeks when he stopped with his vacation.
Might be longer than that. I thought they were starting to fix what got messed up once the coder is back. So there's still a bunch of work to do before the next update. Idk I'm probably wrong but that's how I understood it.

Reactions: witteb

Josh Spicer

Sep 19, 2018
We're nearly a month after MITY's 'What the f is going on?' Is there any word on the next update date?
From what I understand, MITY still has the coder on vacation. Once the coder gets back they can work on the update and probably fix the mess that the coder's random minigame caused.

Scuzzbucket

Jan 8, 2018
From what I understand, MITY still has the coder on vacation. Once the coder gets back they can work on the update and probably fix the mess that the coder's random minigame caused.
Which coder? MITY himself with the H'ween release or was it something the real coder tried to implement in the upcoming update?

D

Deleted member 436513

Which coder? MITY himself with the H'ween release or was it something the real coder tried to implement in the upcoming update?
The "real coder" is the guy working on the actual game (its menus, interactions, minigames and so on). He tried making a card game for the October update that still hasn't come out, which was scrapped and he was sent on break. "MITY" (the artist) didn't want to touch anything to do with the game's code (since he didn't write it, and it might mess up things later down the line), so he spent October making a separate, standalone game by himself. Presumably the art assets and the script for the currently unreleased update ("the October update") are long done at this point, and "the artist" is busy drawing shit for the November one while we all wait for the coder to come back from his PTSD therapy group and finish the October release.

Honestly the smart move here would've been to post the update with just the new scenes (in a standalone game with a selection menu if all else fails) while you quietly start searching for a new guy. But oh well.

Reactions: Lornely

Pastafarian51

Sep 10, 2018
I can’t wait for the complete version of this game, this is the first fan game I’ve played that I genuinely enjoyed.

pussyslime

Feb 14, 2018
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on both his Ben 10 game and the assets for Shagworthy's Legacy, but there's nothing to say that someone else can't work on a Scooby-Doo game too. After all there are two Totally Spies games being developed right now. And what can I say I'm greedy. :)
could u share the link of the ben 10 trainer? whats it called?

killa34mam

Jan 31, 2019
i just started BOOK 3 but i noticed there are no walkthru and cheats for it (mainly money) so if theres link to cheat then ill be greatful

Evans15

Game Developer
Oct 20, 2017
So... we are at that time already, huh. Where people complaining that a dev is milking patrons, etc, etc. Great, as if Milfy City's thread wasn't toxic enough for the whole forum they are coming to other threads too.

Killa34, look at the first post, there are the cheat codes you have to enter via console commands.

Oct 16, 2017
On Love Route Book 1, how does one impregnate Katara?
I've checked previous comments, and find plenty talking about a Fingering Scene before the end of the book.
But I've finished the entire Book 1, and I was never given any Fingering Scene.
Could anyone give me some step-by-step guide or something?

Pastafarian51

Sep 10, 2018
So... we are at that time already, huh. Where people complaining that a dev is milking patrons, etc, etc. Great, as if Milfy City's thread wasn't toxic enough for the whole forum they are coming to other threads too.

Killa34, look at the first post, there are the cheat codes you have to enter via console commands.
Yeah it bugs me seeing toxic comments like that too. Game development (especially when it’s of this great standard) takes time, so it’s totally understandable & as for the people bitching about it, they just need to learn some patience (& maybe not shit on the hard work that’s clearly been put into it).
As for me, I’m excited as hell to see where book 4 & it’s story goes (being a long time Avatar fan I have a general idea but I can’t wait to see where the writer/developers take it).

Trello

Jan 15, 2018
The "real coder" is the guy working on the actual game (its menus, interactions, minigames and so on). He tried making a card game for the October update that still hasn't come out, which was scrapped and he was sent on break. "MITY" (the artist) didn't want to touch anything to do with the game's code (since he didn't write it, and it might mess up things later down the line), so he spent October making a separate, standalone game by himself. Presumably the art assets and the script for the currently unreleased update ("the October update") are long done at this point, and "the artist" is busy drawing shit for the November one while we all wait for the coder to come back from his PTSD therapy group and finish the October release.

Honestly the smart move here would've been to post the update with just the new scenes (in a standalone game with a selection menu if all else fails) while you quietly start searching for a new guy. But oh well.
I'm guessing you don't know much about how programming works but you can't just "hire a new guy" and expect them to take over programming a game, it's nowhere near that simple. It would take a long while to sift through all the old code and that's if it's commented well enough for the person to work on it, if it's not commented then god save whoever is going to take over because they're in for a fun time.

Unless you mean hiring a 2nd coder, in which case yes, that could work, but then you have the exact same issues, and it would take time to get the other coder up to speed in how the 1st coder wants things done etc etc.

In other words, the programmer taking like 2 weeks off or whatever is hardly an issue compared to replacing a programmer altogether.

If you ask me though, if I was working non-stop since the start of this game without a holiday, I'd be fucking destroyed. It's no wonder he's burning up. He deserves a 2-3 month holiday if you ask me..

ZookaZooka

Oct 14, 2016

As I understand he's also the writer so the quality of the game would dip without him.

Reactions: MusicSoft
D

Deleted member 436513

I'm guessing you don't know much about how programming works but you can't just "hire a new guy" and expect them to take over programming a game, it's nowhere near that simple. It would take a long while to sift through all the old code and that's if it's commented well enough for the person to work on it, if it's not commented then god save whoever is going to take over because they're in for a fun time.

Unless you mean hiring a 2nd coder, in which case yes, that could work, but then you have the exact same issues, and it would take time to get the other coder up to speed in how the 1st coder wants things done etc etc.

In other words, the programmer taking like 2 weeks off or whatever is hardly an issue compared to replacing a programmer altogether.

If you ask me though, if I was working non-stop since the start of this game without a holiday, I'd be fucking destroyed. It's no wonder he's burning up. He deserves a 2-3 month holiday if you ask me..
I'm guessing that your guess is incorrect, given that I AM a programmer (and someone familiar with FET's code for that matter), but I understand what you're getting at. Obviously it's not just a swap-in replacement, and even someone working on a relatively simple project like a Ren'Py VN would need weeks if not months to familiarize themselves with the existing codebase. Same with hiring a second coder, unless they're working on distinct parts of the game independently (e.g., someone on the map system and someone else on the minigames), it tends to become a managerial clusterfuck, especially with small "internet" projects.

On the other hand, that's still better than the alternative of having NO programmer at all. The worst case scenario we're looking at here is basically "guy takes 2 months off, decides that he's done anyways and quits". Hence why it makes sense to plan for that possibility, however remote, just in case. The team having a budget of 20k and only two members is kind of an anomaly.

I'm also a bit cynical when it comes to believing that he's been spending these grueling, 80 hour work weeks nonstop for the past 4 years just to make the game happen, given the amount/quality of the writing and the code, but let's not get into that. I genuinely do hope he takes the time he needs and things can get back to normal.

Josh Spicer

Sep 19, 2018
My crystal ball(s of steel!)

Time for an update to let you all know what to expect from us this month! That's right! It's crystal ball time!

On the first of this month I started probing how the coder was doing. I also started work on the real next build. From scratch(!) using the stuff I had already drawn and sent to the coder, with the same sort of zeal I slapped the Halloween side story together with. Just a matter of being super cautious and proactive about the current state of things. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst etc.

I learned a few things along the way of creating the Halloween side story and figured I might as well assume a worst case scenario until I was proven wrong.

One of the things I suggested to the coder was for him to just send me all of the things he had already finished so I could try and tie it up myself. If he didn't feel up to doing anything serious himself yet I'd have been happy to jump in. I'm even happier to say he was very much against that idea. Sometimes you suggest things the same way you use canaries in a coal mine. I thought suggesting something like that and the reaction to it would tell me a lot more than just a simple "hey how are you doing?"

I think it's a good sign he doesn't want to take the easier way out of letting me handle things, but I also want to be very careful of not having him immediately jump into the thick of things once more.

He still hasn't entirely convinced me he's back to full power so I suggested he'd slowly start poking the new build (if he feels he's up to it) for literally five minutes a day at the start and just work his way up and see how it goes. Depending on how far he got until I told him to take that break a couple of weeks back, I figure an end of the month build should be possible.

For some of you that might not be nearly fast enough, me neither, but I prefer being careful/safe now and not being sorry later. Also, I very much doubt the coder was creating his best stuff in the weeks leading up to me forcing him to take that break. He pretty much already admitted as much in between the lines. I've put my own efforts to create a new build of the main story on ice and hopefully it can stay there forever. But if worse comes to worse I'm ready to fire up that plan B once more.

Soooo... what am I doing right now? Mostly going through the scenes I had already finished and taking the opportunity to add some small things I hadn't at first because the time/result balance wasn't in favor of doing them. But I'm also noticing some small things I hadn't at first. That's the advantage of not looking at something for awhile. When you come back to it, it's almost like you're seeing it for the first time and pick up things you hadn't noticed at first.

It usually is something like a head which is too big or a skin color which isn't entirely fitting anymore when combined with a darker background. Simple stuff, but still the sort of thing which can be a timesink. So I'm doing that sorta thing right now. When that's finished I'm going to work on the art for the final build of this route.

I've also had to take measures against getting thin skin this week. Literal thin skin. If you'd ever see me draw for a few minutes you'd probably have to puke. I zoom and rotate pics so often it's like a roller coaster. I mostly use my left index finger which races along the mouse wheel to zoom in and out, but the skin on that finger started getting reeeally sensitive. I try using my other finger, but that one just isn't positioned right relative to the mouse wheel. I came up with a solution which is more of an improvement than a solution, but still much better.

I already told you guys I'm pretty much a dumping grounds for family who has an old pc etc so I rummaged through my collection of old mice and found what I was looking for among them. Now naturally this just happened to be the one mouse whose scrolling wheel was broken, so I had to fix that first (using glue, a screwdriver and a sharp knife.)

What was so special about this mouse which I wanted to try out? It has a rubberized concave wheel instead of hard and convex one! And that... helps a lot. I'll sketch up a quick example for you to instantly see what I mean.

I'm still trying to use my ring finger (instead of the sensitive index one) to scroll as much as I can, but whenever I do forget, this new mouse wheel is much preferable.

If there's anything to take away from this update, it's the following.

We're not out of the woods yet, but we're slowly walking in that general direction and I hope/expect to end this month with a fresh new build which doesn't smell of overworked coder. And that's a good thing because my motivation takes a hit if I don't know when or if something will get done. I'll admit it, I'm the sort of person who likes to have dates and schedules and can become fidgety without them.

Peace!

4.50 star(s) 273 Votes