catalyst44

Nov 8, 2019
It's all fun and games when you have a writer's block, except that money's on the line. .

I personally wouldn't fund 2+ months of writer's block. They already get a lot of money.

There's a certain responsibility they have, can't just use an excuse and not post an update.

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
It's all fun and games when you have a writer's block, except that money's on the line. .

I personally wouldn't fund 2+ months of writer's block. They already get a lot of money.

There's a certain responsibility they have, can't just use an excuse and not post an update.
Do remember, funding is not the same as you paying for the game, it is you providing the creator with funds regardless of the current progression, in a sense you're donating on the expectations of a product even if it has delays and set backs. There is no contract, and they don't owe shit to anyone, and considering they're by far more consistent than 90% of developers on here they can most certainly get paid for nothing if they have writers block for a bit.

If they for some reason lost money because they weren't 'productive enough' that provides disincentives to the creator, its because they are funded for both good and bad times that creators can feel more motivated to work because people aren't stingy with their wallets when hiccups happen. If it's for a prolonged period then that is more acceptable but when a pothole happens you ripping away the price of a sandwich over it isn't fucking helpful in the least. There are layers to this, and thankfully plenty of people putting in money even during rougher times when they aren't overly expecting something.

TrueJackal

Jul 7, 2020

I understand not funding writer's block. But I think when someone is considering dropping support entirely or temporarily, writer's block vs laziness are very different situations.

Reactions: ReaCreations

darkgunner079

Apr 4, 2018
Well as I recall the last Halloween update it was done almost entirely by the artist so its not like the production rate would slow down any:sneaky:

Reactions: B2B2

Mistervd

Nov 25, 2017
Well as I recall the last Halloween update it was done almost entirely by the artist so its not like the production rate would slow down any:sneaky:
If that's the case then go for it!
I'm down for more content, but like I said if this slow down the main game I prefer they dropped.

F1forhalp

SOTD: Temple of the Dog - All Night Thing
Donor
Oct 28, 2019

it's very simple. they don't owe anyone anything. if anyone is giving them money, those exact people decided to do so, knowing that they are not entitled to anything. they give money to support someone's idea. if that isn't to their liking anymore, no matter the reason, they can just stop giving money. there's no contract of any sort giving any responsibility to anyone, from the very beginning.
i've supported projects on several occasions, because i liked their ideas and thought them promising. when i lose interest, they lose my support, simple as that. whatever money i gave to whomever, i did it knowing i can't demand anything. just like this site here, i pass over some, because i like the concept. here it's even declared Donation, thus everyone involved knows from the start. when i can spare some, why not place it where it matters - to me.

Balrog

Jan 10, 2018
it's very simple. they don't owe anyone anything. if anyone is giving them money, those exact people decided to do so, knowing that they are not entitled to anything.
They totaly do owe them, they made promises to their patreon, through statements and patreons goals, they very much do owe their patreon to hold up their promises and patreon goals.

You do owe people who invest in your project to the point you can make it your job in general anyway, Patreon is for very disinterested investors, sure but that's still the same concept, instead of profit returns, they ask for more content instead.

Let's not turn 'You can't do much against a writer's block' into a 'they can do whatever they want and everyone has to say it's a good thing'.

Last edited:

F1forhalp

SOTD: Temple of the Dog - All Night Thing
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
They totaly do owe them, they made promises to their patreon, through statements and patreons goals, they very much do owe their patreon to hold up their promises and patreon goals.

You do owe people who invest in your project to the point you can make it your job in general anyway, Patreon is for very disinterested investors, sure but that's still the same concept, instead of profit returns, they ask for more content instead.

Let's not turn 'You can't do much against a writer's block' into a 'they can do whatever they want and everyone has to say it's a good thing'.
well i guess we disagree on that one point then.
one of my main reasons to dislike patreon is their sloppiness when it comes to instantly stop pledges.
also you've got a point there, they can't exactly do what they want and expect appplause, so to speak. well ok, they -could- do what they want and patreon would still charge their funders even when they cancel funding. it's laggy, and that site always grabs a share. if they would, say, call FET off right now, the money would still flow for months. patrons must jump through hoops and won't get anything back, that's my experience on that regard.
what i was talking about; whoever put up some idea there, starts with no legal responsibility to his funders. you can't hold them accountable, there's no court or anything that would help you. and in the end, patreon again gets their share..
meh.. i get worked up over this again, sorry.

*edit* ofc when someone makes a promise to create something and gets money for that, he should stick to his promise. agree with you there.

darkgunner079

Apr 4, 2018
Well it looks like we're speeding towards yet another month+ long delay, at this point Im wondering if we'll see the next update before the end of the year

Reactions: TotitoT
4.50 star(s) 276 Votes