Free stuff for Daz 3D

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
So, I was lookiing for some cosplay resources, and came across this page...

He's done/converted a LOT of cosplay related characters, BUT they are in .tga format.

I haven't messed much with .tga, so I have no idea how well it plays with Blender, or Poser/Daz Studio for that matter. If the models can be imported in some fashion, either directly or via an intermediate step, say .obj, this could be interesting for background characters or similar use cases, say in a wax museum scene or something... or as a 'reference' character to look at while you attempt to dial in your own Daz Studio version of said character...

Cosplay usage rights are usually questionable, but for 'free' fan art it's a thought...

Has anyone else here messed with .tga files recently?
.tga is an image format, so it's the textures you're looking at. There should be a mesh file included in the files somewhere.
Oh and here is another source for game models, they're mostly ripped from the original games:

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
So, I was lookiing for some cosplay resources, and came across this page...

He's done/converted a LOT of cosplay related characters, BUT they are in .tga format.

I haven't messed much with .tga, so I have no idea how well it plays with Blender, or Poser/Daz Studio for that matter. If the models can be imported in some fashion, either directly or via an intermediate step, say .obj, this could be interesting for background characters or similar use cases, say in a wax museum scene or something... or as a 'reference' character to look at while you attempt to dial in your own Daz Studio version of said character...

Cosplay usage rights are usually questionable, but for 'free' fan art it's a thought...

Has anyone else here messed with .tga files recently?
I opened up Hexagon which can import .tga (Targa) files, and downloaded the first model I saw, "Jessie." I didn't see the model anywhere, and I tried to import one of the clothes files but it crashed Hexagon both times. Eyes, head, mouth, clothing, and other assets are all separate files. I am not sure how you could bring this into Daz3D. A brief look at the Daz3D forums suggests that these may be directly importable into Poser, but I don't have Poser, so I can't speak to this.

Could the .xps file be the actual figure?? recreation ?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I opened up Hexagon which can import .tga (Targa) files, and downloaded the first model I saw, "Jessie." I didn't see the model anywhere, and I tried to import one of the clothes files but it crashed Hexagon both times. Eyes, head, mouth, clothing, and other assets are all separate files. I am not sure how you could bring this into Daz3D. A brief look at the Daz3D forums suggests that these may be directly importable into Poser, but I don't have Poser, so I can't speak to this.

Could the .xps file be the actual figure?? recreation ?
I doubt that poser can handle that, but I'm not sure. Godot creates .mesh files, so it can handle that. Blender might be worth a try as well.
This is the file you want to open:
1588739752019.png

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
After looking at this and the threads dealing with importing XPS, it's talking about how something transferred from XPS to OBJ would need to be re-rigged in Daz3D. I know my limitations, and re-rigging something in Daz3D is definitely above my pay grade. The I looked at suggested that hair, clothing, and other items can be rigged in Daz3D using the transfer utility, but I have no idea how. And I have even less idea on how to get the base XPS character into Daz3D.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Oh I didn't see the xps part before and there wasn't a xps file in the folder I was looking at. I suspect that these are xnalara models, and there's a plugin for blender for these type of models.
Nevertheless, Models (figures/character) that aren't made for Daz, won't ever import with the correct rigging, so you'll always have to either fix, or rig them yourself, there's no way around it sadly.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Or use them as background chars^^
So I am thinking that for the purposes of this thread, sources with only xps/tga files would not be considered free Daz3D resources due to the intensive work that would need to be done to bring them into Daz3D, even if the sources were free. In he file that I downloaded, "Jessie", there was no mesh file and only an XPS file.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Getting back on target, I found this post on Daz3D for a . I have slightly modified the structure of the main list on the OP and added lights and HDRIs to the Buildings and Environments section. Have fun everyone.

Reactions: recreation

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Getting back on target, I found this post on Daz3D for a . I have slightly modified the structure of the main list on the OP and added lights and HDRIs to the Buildings and Environments section. Have fun everyone.
Just had a quick look at all the sites. A LOT of them are down by now, some have really low quality or mini filesize (who needs a hdri with 255 x 400px?), some restrict the usage of their hdri's (not really free), and a few just have one or two actual free hdri's.
So here's a quick list with all the sites worth having a look at (imo):

(also has a lot of textures mixed between the hdri's)

Hope this helps.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just noting that I appreciate the responses. The main reason I shared that link is due to the MASSIVE number of 3d characters that are included in that link. It has over 1900 entries, and even though some of those are just pictures, it looks like the majority link to actual models via their subpages. Also, since Blender is free, if it can be used as a 'transition' point for said models. I'm thinking that if it can be saved in a Daz friendly format that preserves the rigging, that's notable.

I do have Poser Pro 11, so I can use that as a transition point if needed to save as .cr2, etc., but as it's not free, as noted, yeah most people are going to fall back on Blender or something...

I'm so used to doing stuff in Daz that I just haven't seen the point of Poser these days. Some people love it, but for me I just can't get the hang of it. Plus, I just like the way Daz presents itself interface wise as well as viewport/environment wise.

I struggle with Blender as well. Daz Studio just 'clicked' with me about immediately. Somehow, Hexagon has clicked with me as well, although not as intuitively, and there's a lot of things that Hexagon does that I still have no clue about...

Ratface666

Mar 22, 2020
Does anybody know if this site is safe?

Ive checked it with various website checkers and get contradicting results. Has anybody tried downloading anything from it?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018

Ive checked it with various website checkers and get contradicting results. Has anybody tried downloading anything from it?
No idea if it's safe, but it's definitely a pirate site, so the stuff they offer is not actually free.

Ratface666

Mar 22, 2020
I don't really understand what you're saying? Some pirate sites survive on ads or affilliate marketing. I mean... I don't think every content creator (or those who have the same assets just too goof around) have paid at least $100s of dollars worth for every simple character or object in their games? This is a piracy forum after all

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017

I don't really understand what you're saying? Some pirate sites survive on ads or affilliate marketing. I mean... I don't think every content creator (or those who have the same assets just too goof around) have paid at least $100s of dollars worth for every simple character or object in their games? This is a piracy forum after all

The link you shared in your earlier post should probably be discussed in this other thread:

https://f95zone.to/threads/sites-like-3d-load-net.32009/#post-2040659

The purpose of THIS thread is to share assets that are LEGALLY being offered for free. This is, as you've noted, a buccaneer forum, but a number of game developers do end up purchasing their 'paid' assets for their games (eventually), and DO worry about such things. And a few of those developers do hang out around here, as it is a nice place to promote their games, and helps them attract more donors to their Patreon pages and such. Hence this separate thread.

Some people around here will never donate of course, but a number of people around here do support their favorite developers via Patreon, etc.

This is also why we also discuss 'personal use only' versus 'commercial use OK/unrestricted use' in this particular thread. If you are marketing your game on say Patreon, those 'personal use only' assets come into question.

The Asset Releases section of this forum is another place you can look for info on various Daz Studio and other assets used in various games, if those interest you.

It should be noted that few people do like to 'try before they buy' if they are unsure about an asset (or games for that matter)... Such a strategy can help avoid the hassle of customer service tickets via the Daz3D, etc. websites for assets that they may end up not wanting. And they will often wishlist the assets they end up still wanting in anticipaton of the next killer sale at the relevant stores.

In any case, the thread I linked above is probably the best place to ask about the site you linked.

Last edited:

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
What he's saying is "it's a pirate site you may acquire stuff free there but, it's not licensed for you to be able to profit off the results of what you get."

I'm one of those weird people that either buy everything or use only properly licensed free stuff, which is what this thread is for. even though the game i'm building will be free without monetary gain. I'm not taking some ones hard work and putting it in anything I am responsible for without their permission and blessing (so to speak). I don't care if some one wants to use pirate assets not my business.

Smbt3D

Nov 3, 2019
somehow I disabled the shadow on DAZ. how the hell do I reactivate it?
If you're talking about the shadows in your renders, Iray or 3DL shadows ?

Iray shadows can't be switched on or off, if you don't see shadows in a HDRI/ Sun/Sky lighted Iray scene you might have switched "Draw ground" in the Render -> Environment properties off.

In 3DL you choose the "Shadow Mode/ Type" in the properties of the native Daz lights (Distant, Point or Spot light).

P.S. You're aware that you've posted this question in a free stuff thread ? :)

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Looks like the autofit clones are down, I have the g3 <-> g8 version, but not the g2 version, so if anyone happens to have it, please share^^

Superman+LoisLane

Nov 5, 2017
Hi, I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but this seem like the closest thing to an official Daz thread.

Is the Platinum Club worth it? It says 30% off; does that discount add up? I have some items on my wishlist that are 60% off right now. Will they be 90% off with a PC membership?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hi, I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but this seem like the closest thing to an official Daz thread.

Is the Platinum Club worth it? It says 30% off; does that discount add up? I have some items on my wishlist that are 60% off right now. Will they be 90% off with a PC membership?
Let me educate you in the ways of Daz Math.

When discounts stack, you need to take the additional percentage and apply it to the price after 'base' discount. So in this case, Plat Club takes precedence, so 30% off retail (.7) for DO's, then multiply by said 60% off (.4), and you end up with 72% off (.28). It gets more complicated with additional discount stacking when multiple sales discounts are in play, but you get the idea here.

The 30% off of new items (and by extension 51% off new Daz Original items) is usually only in play for the first two months that an item is in the store. Sometimes there are additional discounts on new items, usually in conjunction with 'buy these other new items to get a bigger discount' sales, but it often pays to wait for an item to go off of 'new' status, at which point the '50%/60%/etc. off of Featured Artists' sales might give you a bigger discount in the long run.

As for Plat Club being worth it, if your Daz budget is say $200 a year or more (maybe a bit less than that depending on how many DO's you end up purchasing), it's generally worth it just in discounts. The weekly freebies are often 'I suppose that's kinda cool' but occasionally some really nice stuff is offered as freebies. The $6 off DO monthly coupon and the $6 off of $18 monthly coupon help as well, but again mainly if you shop regularly with Daz.

There are also a few sales throughout year where Plat Club members get additional discounts over and above the 'usual' ones, such as the recent '$1.99, or $1.39 for Plat Club members on these items' sale.

Just don't pay full price for PC+ membership. It goes on sale for 30% off often enough (pretty much monthly), sometimes 40% off, occasionally 50% off...

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes