Free stuff for Daz 3D

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
Which file types should I get to use in Daz? Sites like Turbosquid list a bunch of different ones. While with Daz only places I didnt have to worry because it was originally for Daz. For example, on Turbosquid there is a vehicle that comes in several file types like FBX, OBJ, DXF, Rhino, Lightwave, "Other" whatever that means lol, and many others.

Which ones should I get for Daz? :unsure:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Which file types should I get to use in Daz? Sites like Turbosquid list a bunch of different ones. While with Daz only places I didnt have to worry because it was originally for Daz. For example, on Turbosquid there is a vehicle that comes in several file types like FBX, OBJ, DXF, Rhino, Lightwave, "Other" whatever that means lol, and many others.

easiest would be .obj files, theoretically .fbx files work too, but Daz has a few problems with some.

Reactions: JB08

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
easiest would be .obj files, theoretically .fbx files work too, but Daz has a few problems with some.
Thank you. Ill mess around with .obj and some .fbx files then and see how it goes. I have never seen so many file types before until I visited non Daz sites lmao. Btw its funny you replied to me, I was browsing other posts looking for an answer and I was actually reading one of your posts in a locked thread when you replied. Bad Memories happens to be one of my top games I enjoy (y) . Good luck and thanks again.

Reactions: recreation

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018

You want to get OBJ. It may or may not work bringing it in to Daz3D. The more complex something is, the less likely it is to work. This is a post that I did last year of a clothing rack that I got on TurboSquid and gussied up with surfaces and textures into something usable in a game. TurboSquid offers a free conversion service, but it's hit and miss, as several things I purchased (for very cheap) did not transition well into Daz3D at all. This is certainly one of those cases where your mileage may vary bigtime. Here is another post with a free circular clothing rack that I snatched off of . While they do sell a lot on this site, they also have a hella lot of free stuff as well.

All of the clothes on both of these racks are free from Adam Thwaites' site which is in the OP. With this approach, your actor could pick an item off the rack, go to the dressing room, and actually come out wearing the actual item that was on the rack. Now that's what I call immersion.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Sometimes, I can pull stuff into Poser and convert some formats that don't play nice in Daz Studio into a more Daz friendly format, but I certainly wouldn't recommend buying Poser just for that purpose. I almost never use Poser, Daz is just much easier for me to use, but of course Poser has a following of diehard users...

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
You want to get OBJ. It may or may not work bringing it in to Daz3D. The more complex something is, the less likely it is to work. This is a post that I did last year of a clothing rack that I got on TurboSquid and gussied up with surfaces and textures into something usable in a game. TurboSquid offers a free conversion service, but it's hit and miss, as several things I purchased (for very cheap) did not transition well into Daz3D at all. This is certainly one of those cases where your mileage may vary bigtime. Here is another post with a free circular clothing rack that I snatched off of . While they do sell a lot on this site, they also have a hella lot of free stuff as well.

All of the clothes on both of these racks are free from Adam Thwaites' site which is in the OP. With this approach, your actor could pick an item off the rack, go to the dressing room, and actually come out wearing the actual item that was on the rack. Now that's what I call immersion.
The more complex the less likely it is to work? RIP. The few items I was looking at, on a scale of 1 to 10 for complexity, seemed to be a 12 lmao. I havent tried yet, just getting some downloads in first and need a GPU as well but that makes sense sadly. Complex things having less chance of working. Well, its not mandatory. Just some things that site look so dang pretty. Who knows it could work fine though..hopefully..

I can see what you mean with the clothing rack and the bathing suits though. I checked out Digital Creations and they already had some interesting pieces I wanted on the freestuff page. They are on my list of alternate stores to thoroughly scour once ive completely explored Daz shop. Still need props, poses, clothing.

Is it common to end up with hundreds of gigs of files to be installed? :unsure: I might not even end up using half the stuff I have so far lol.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Is it common to end up with hundreds of gigs of files to be installed? :unsure: I might not even end up using half the stuff I have so far lol.
Yup. Sure is. And when you're actually working on a game, you will still find you need more stuff. Please accept this one sage bit of wisdom, especially if you ever intend to create a game. BACK. UP. EVERYTHING. Preferably with multiple copies. Flash storage is so cheap there is no excuse. I can't tell you how sad it is to lose your whole Daz3D setup that you spent hours and days setting up only to lose it to a HD crash, not if but when it happens. The same goes for your game files, development assets, etc. Make sure everything is backed up in multiple places. Otherwise, when you most need it ... poof, it will not be there. If the asset on TurboSquid is free, download it and try it, it may or may not work. Unfortunately, the really pretty (and complex) stuff may or may not work.

There are so many other sites with assets that do work. Even though it is clunky and a bit of a pain, ShareCG has a ton of incredible stuff that I have used in my games. Feel free to monitor here and OhWee's parallel sale thread to find out good deals on stuff that is pretty much guaranteed to work in Daz3D. I absolutely cleaned up at the end of the year and got a massive amount of stuff for pennies on the dollar that way. And all of what I got is guaranteed to work in Daz3D.

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
BACK. UP. EVERYTHING.
Trust me, I have learned my lesson more than once on this matter. :eek: I have several HDD's serving as backups to games, movies, etc. Especially my PS1 PS2 NTSC library of console games for emulation. Which too ages to assemble. Ive lost some very important files before I got serious. Even have a raid setup going. Sadly I active files I do not back up that often... which I will start doing. But for projects and work im fairly diligent. I have seen a few devs on hear go through big delays from data loss, even big time devs for PC and console games. One lost it all to flooding and another to a house fire. Sad stuff.

Sharecg also getting bookmarked and added. Ive got a lot to look at.. :cry: I have a growing list of items I cannot find on various sites for free I may have to purchase so I will hold off on those until I start my projects to see if I actually need it, which means I will miss some pretty sweet deals bundles and sales. Daz cart has dropped off by a couple thousand far though at least. Thats basically my GPU money right there.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Trust me, I have learned my lesson more than once on this matter. :eek: I have several HDD's serving as backups to games, movies, etc. Especially my PS1 PS2 NTSC library of console games for emulation. Which too ages to assemble. Ive lost some very important files before I got serious. Even have a raid setup going. Sadly I active files I do not back up that often... which I will start doing. But for projects and work im fairly diligent. I have seen a few devs on hear go through big delays from data loss, even big time devs for PC and console games. One lost it all to flooding and another to a house fire. Sad stuff.

Sharecg also getting bookmarked and added. Ive got a lot to look at.. :cry: I have a growing list of items I cannot find on various sites for free I may have to purchase so I will hold off on those until I start my projects to see if I actually need it, which means I will miss some pretty sweet deals bundles and sales. Daz cart has dropped off by a couple thousand far though at least. Thats basically my GPU money right there.
Don't get lured into self confidence with a RAID. I have had two RAIDs fail for clients that I had, one because they used Magilla Gorillas for a move, and the other just because multiple drives failed. The first I was able to recover, the second not so much.* RAIDs (with the exception of Level 1 and 10) can absolutely fail, so if you don't have a backup you're hosed. On top of that, if the data is corrupted, you could have multiple corrupt copies, which is why you need periodic backups, so you can roll back to before the corruption happened.

* Shoot, I forgot about the third RAID that failed when I worked for a major metro newspaper. Fortunately, I had backups and was able to restore the drives, but it took forEVER cuz tape drives are horribly slow.

aexiel

Sep 5, 2018
Hey guys, I found to have most of the assets found on the DAZ3D shop and other sites. I haven't tried them yet but they link to the original pages but contain links to download the actual assets. They don't have any FAQ pages so I'm not sure if it is even legal, but I guess their intent is so that you can try the assets first and buy them for the license if like it. The site doesn't have any search feature so it's a bit cumbersome to go through, but the selection is curated to be the high quality or most downloaded assets all for free.

DISCLAIMER: I am not condoning the use of that site for commercial use or to bypass purchasing the assets legally, I was just curious about licensing and legality should you use these assets in your game. Please support the original creators should you like the assets.

Jul 14, 2018
. They don't have any FAQ pages so I'm not sure if it is even legal,
I don’t know why you would need a faq to tell you it’s not legal when it’s obviously not - if Daz was releasing a product for free, they’d do it in their own site. This thread is for the legal free stuff.

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
Don't get lured into self confidence with a RAID.
Yeah, RAID is good to have, but there's a lot of things it doesn't fix. Many years ago, I used to mirror important data to a second drive manually, out of drive-failure paranoia. I decided to "get smart" and replace that with a RAID-1 pair. The first time I deleted the wrong file (from DOS cmd, no undo), I immediately realized why this was a worse solution. Similarly viruses that corrupt files, etc. RAID will happily mirror the "damage" for anything that's not a failure in the disk itself.

So RAID your primary drive but keep backup(s). Or use a regular drive, but RAID your backups. (If you can afford it. Nowadays I have a NAS with dual redundancy for my first order backups, and a 2nd NAS with single redundancy for the stuff I *really* can't replace as 2nd-order backups. But this is a lot of money!) Otherwise, just keep multiple backups, VERIFY that your backups are readable, and BACKUP FREQUENTLY.

sissyhigashi

Sep 20, 2019
How About ALMOST FREE?
Artist at Renderhub Harts3D has a coupon code of which you can get one of their fine characters for $5.00 each (50% off)

as you can see, other artists have similar codes such as Nabi with 60% off.
These are truly bargains and great to have as base units, and manipulate shapes & tones to your liking.
I do not have any personal interest nor do I profit, other than it helps encourage talented persons to continue their hard work.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: OhWee and seamanq

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
How About ALMOST FREE?
Artist at Renderhub Harts3D has a coupon code of which you can get one of their fine characters for $5.00 each (50% off)

as you can see, other artists have similar codes such as Nabi with 60% off.
These are truly bargains and great to have as base units, and manipulate shapes & tones to your liking.
I do not have any personal interest nor do I profit, other than it helps encourage talented persons to continue their hard work.
It would be best to post this in OhWee's Daz3D Product Deals thread as it is off topic for this thread.

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
For the international woman day and the contest that they organize, daz gives the Mabel 8 char for free
Not the sexiest daz char, but the price is right!
Just have to use coupon FREE-4-ME at check out.
(not sure, but it is possibly just today March 8)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Stumbled across this site today. It has an assortment of .objs...

The models are fairly basic, but covers a rather large assortment of item types. Might save you a few minutes here and there...

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes