FFCreations

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2017
Is it anybody else who've had crashes when continuing saves from prior update?
Same problem for me. Any attempt to load a save and it crashes immediately
Yes, as I stated to previous comments around this issue: RenPy is terrible at handling updates, meaning that saves can be corrupted very easily. A lot of major games that uses RenPy deal with this exact issue as well. I'm trying to compensate for it as well as I can. That's why the implementation of Chapter Select happened. If you have any other suggestions, then I'm more than happy to hear them.

Reactions: met4lsp4wn

AGoodDay2Die

Feb 9, 2018
I'm sorry that you find the corrupt saves annoying. I completely understand, which is why I created the Chapter Select in the first place. Unfortunately this is the reality of the RenPy engine and there's not much I can do about it. Even huge games like Summertime Saga deal with this issue.

Will my save files carry over to the next update?

This is the most asked question and the answer is no, it cannot. Unfortunately the Renpy engine deals very poorly with handling old save files in new versions of our game.

This was taken directly from Summertime Saga's website. If you have a solution to this problem that you'd like to see implemented then I would be happy to hear it. As for why I have "SAVE BEFORE THIS" at the end of each update is because sometimes old saves do work, so it's better than nothing.
There are plenty of Ren'Py games that never suffer from broken saves. As I understand it - 'though I may be wrong - the way you break saves is when you make changes to the game that are implemented prior in the game to the save in question, i.e. if you make alterations to the v0.6 code as you are making v0.10, (like adding a new variable retroactively or removing a character, etc.,) then saves created after that point in v0.6 thru 0.9 will likely be broken and not useable in v0.10. Yes, some may work to a point or may work with numerous errors but the way to make sure they keep working is to not make changes to old code when adding new version code.

The "Chapter Select" thing, well, I screwed up there. As I said, I last played v0.9. When I opened the "Chapter Select" menu I only saw chapters 1-6: probably because I was so annoyed by the saves issue and the need to be in that menu at all I never noticed there was another page to it. I just went first to chapter 5 then, upon discovering it was so far back in the game I went to chapter 6. I didn't notice there were more so I could've gone deeper into the game to start. That's my bad. Still, while the chapter thing somewhat mitigates the problem it still can't put you back where you were with all the decisions you made through your play. You only get to choose fully one path or the other. I know I had significant points built up in each. If your previous decisions don't matter at all it's OK to jump in at any point but if they do matter you're stuck with having to either start over at the beginning and hope you make the same decisions you did before or just say "to Hell with this!" and shitcan the game. I'll choose the latter, almost every time.

I've never played "Summertime Saga" and if they regularly break their saves I can see I've missed nothing but aggravation and wasted time. As for their disclaimer, all I would tell them is "Then either you don't know what you're doing or you should be using another engine. If you don't know what you're doing, don't blame it on the engine. If the engine's the problem, quit using it and switch to something that works right." (From the number of Ren'Py games that never have this problem I would tend to suspect the former over the latter.)

Reactions: Darkaura

FFCreations

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2017
There are plenty of Ren'Py games that never suffer from broken saves. As I understand it - 'though I may be wrong - the way you break saves is when you make changes to the game that are implemented prior in the game to the save in question, i.e. if you make alterations to the v0.6 code as you are making v0.10, (like adding a new variable retroactively or removing a character, etc.,) then saves created after that point in v0.6 thru 0.9 will likely be broken and not useable in v0.10. Yes, some may work to a point or may work with numerous errors but the way to make sure they keep working is to not make changes to old code when adding new version code.

The "Chapter Select" thing, well, I screwed up there. As I said, I last played v0.9. When I opened the "Chapter Select" menu I only saw chapters 1-6: probably because I was so annoyed by the saves issue and the need to be in that menu at all I never noticed there was another page to it. I just went first to chapter 5 then, upon discovering it was so far back in the game I went to chapter 6. I didn't notice there were more so I could've gone deeper into the game to start. That's my bad. Still, while the chapter thing somewhat mitigates the problem it still can't put you back where you were with all the decisions you made through your play. You only get to choose fully one path or the other. I know I had significant points built up in each. If your previous decisions don't matter at all it's OK to jump in at any point but if they do matter you're stuck with having to either start over at the beginning and hope you make the same decisions you did before or just say "to Hell with this!" and shitcan the game. I'll choose the latter, almost every time.

I've never played "Summertime Saga" and if they regularly break their saves I can see I've missed nothing but aggravation and wasted time. As for their disclaimer, all I would tell them is "Then either you don't know what you're doing or you should be using another engine. If you don't know what you're doing, don't blame it on the engine. If the engine's the problem, quit using it and switch to something that works right." (From the number of Ren'Py games that never have this problem I would tend to suspect the former over the latter.)
Yes you can make a update without corrupting saves. It's usually when you add variables or change stuff in previous versions when the saves gets corrupted. But sometimes you don't really have a choice. We try to avoid it as much as possible though.

It's not about "know what you're doing". It's that RenPy is bad at handling updates. Even if you know RenPy inside and out, you still may very well be forced into a situation where you know that the saves are gonna be corrupted. And just saying "change the engine" is indeed a valid solution, however you will be required to do A LOT of extra work that RenPy already does for you.

mpror

Feb 4, 2018
I can't load any save ._.
My save failed to load aswell but i wnt back to the previous version and saved right before the game told me to, copied that save to the new update game folder and it loaded without issues.

As for the game and the update:

Im rly liking it so far, it was a turndown at first knowing alice was your stepsister but got over it quickly. shes gorgeous the interactions are fun, and so are the other characters. I even liked susan, i wouldnt have minded having her as a teacher even if she dominated me. renders are great, the characters are great, story is great. im getting repetitive arent i?

in any case keep up the good work dev!

AGoodDay2Die

Feb 9, 2018
Yes you can make a update without corrupting saves. It's usually when you add variables or change stuff in previous versions when the saves gets corrupted. But sometimes you don't really have a choice. We try to avoid it as much as possible though.

It's not about "know what you're doing". It's that RenPy is bad at handling updates. Even if you know RenPy inside and out, you still may very well be forced into a situation where you know that the saves are gonna be corrupted. And just saying "change the engine" is indeed a valid solution, however you will be required to do A LOT of extra work that RenPy already does for you.

So, the choices are
1) Adapting your coding style & choices to fit the game engine you're using, or
2) Using an engine that properly dovetails with your coding style & choices, or
3) Creating recurring problems by using your coding style & choices with an engine to which they aren't suited.

Hmm...

FFCreations

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2017
So, the choices are
1) Adapting your coding style & choices to fit the game engine you're using, or
2) Using an engine that properly dovetails with your coding style & choices, or
3) Creating recurring problems by using your coding style & choices with an engine to which they aren't suited.

Hmm...
1) Like I said, even if you have excellent coding style you may still be forced into a situation where the saves are corrupted.

2) Changing engine would be good. I'm not denying that. However it would require A LOT of extra work that RenPy does automatically. Meaning that much more time will be going into development and the updates will be even further apart. I'd rather focus on what I can do on this engine (since it is a good engine). Which is why I implemented the Chapter Select and I'm also trying my best to figure out other ways to solve the save issues.

3) Recurring problem that I'm trying to solve. With an engine that does everything I want from an engine except this save issue. I really mean it. It does so much. So changing engine would mean ditching, let's say 60 good features and accumulating 1 good feature and a ton of work. This is the reason for why I'd rather work hard on fixing the current save issue with elegant solutions, rather than work hard on implementing features that RenPy already has.

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
I managed to load a Save from a few Versions earlier and speed through the Content again.

Surprisingly great Update, I did not expect it to have that much content after the last update.

V.A. Laurie

Game Writer & Editor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
:) glad that a lot of you are enjoying the update.

To respond to a few things all at once -

• We want saves to carry over. Sometimes that's very hard because we are changing the ui and other elements to enhance the overall product. Use chapter select if your save is unusable.
  • We are both aware that the animations weren't pro level, but we've heard your feedback and are trying to work out how to make them happen for you with the limited resources we have each month (mostly time)
  • I'm glad a lot of you enjoyed this update!
  • I'm sorry if you didn't like it, but I'm also tired of saying that so... Oh well. Can't please everyone.
  • I've said this before, but... Although I appreciate every patron we have, and try not to ask people to donate (that's really up to you), if you DO decide to start donating, we can commit more time to the game overall, which would mean longer updates, more images, and maybe even better "animations." Plus, patrons get special perks, which is nice too.

Have a great day everyone. Keep the feedback coming :)

ELTACO

Jun 26, 2018
Holy shit , what an update, was expecting a snails pace with the ****** but this update proved me wrong. Big questions now, on how that moves forward, but damn you got me hooked and damn you got depth with the sister , she is so much more then you usually see in these types of games, I am damn impressed, between BB, H&S 2 , MOTH, AL , TDF and others not mentioned some writers just get it and know how to hook the player/reader. Thank you for this game.

Draakaap23

Dying is always an option
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
I am all for putting a 'message' in entertainment if that is what you want to do, but could you be like a truck- and trainload less obvious about it? I mean, Jezus, F. Christ, did all that come from a blind spot out of left field. It really did not gel well with the earlier content from the game. It is not that I disagree with the message, but man: time and place! Being a bit more subtle about it would work better, since that would not detract from the fact that we are trying to get in these virtual girls pants!

3.90 star(s) 181 Votes