allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
I get this error when Carolina asks me if I know anyone that can babysit Maya. If I click ignore, it continues as if I suggested to find someone online. Any ideas?
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 34083, in script
    menu:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 34103, in <module>
    "Suggest Brittani." if brirel == 0 or brirel == 1 and bri_fear == False :
NameError: name 'bri_fear' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    menu:
  File "C:\Users\Massawar\Desktop\Next Game\FriendsinNeed-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1903, in execute
    choice = renpy.exports.menu(choices, self.set, args, kwargs, item_arguments)
  File "C:\Users\Massawar\Desktop\Next Game\FriendsinNeed-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 976, in menu
    condition = renpy.python.py_eval(condition)
  File "C:\Users\Massawar\Desktop\Next Game\FriendsinNeed-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1092, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "C:\Users\Massawar\Desktop\Next Game\FriendsinNeed-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1085, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19044 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Friends in Need
Wed May 17 18:54:04 2023
Yea it's literally discussed on the page before this one.
https://f95zone.to/threads/friends-in-need-v0-39-neonghosts.112500/post-10772049
At least ... I think it's the same thing. Since it seems like it's same error that's showing up.

concord72

Mar 30, 2020
Hey NeonGhosts there is a omitted variable for bri_fear on her nice paths. At the end of the nice options the variable bri_rel is there but not bri_fear. So when the conversation with Carolina comes up about a babysitter, an error pops up.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    menu:
To anyone looking for quick and dirty fix, open up the script.rpy in the game folder.

Edit the following line from this:
Code:
label ch4_britt_photoshoot:
    "Remembering your appointment with Brittani, you click your tongue."
To this:
Code:
label ch4_britt_photoshoot:
    $ bri_fear = False
    "Remembering your appointment with Brittani, you click your tongue."
Load a save before the photoshoot and play normally. I haven't checked all of the script, but the dark paths appear to correctly change this to true where needed, its just the non-dark ones that are missing the variable entirely. However, by adding my suggested change at the very beginning of the scene, at least it there is no way to accidentally skip over the variable regardless of any choices made during the photoshoot scene.
Is there any way to fix this if you don't have a save before the photoshoot?

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Is there any way to fix this if you don't have a save before the photoshoot?
Yes, do it the way I mentioned before; create a file in the game folder, put default bri_fear = False in it and give it a .rpy extension. That way no matter where you saved, it will initialise bri_fear when you load it.

concord72

Mar 30, 2020
Yes, do it the way I mentioned before; create a file in the game folder, put default bri_fear = False in it and give it a .rpy extension. That way no matter where you saved, it will initialise bri_fear when you load it.
This worked great, thanks. Now can I delete the file after saving after that point or will I always have to use it when I play?

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
This worked great, thanks. Now can I delete the file after saving after that point or will I always have to use it when I play?
I wouldn’t worry about it too much! I’m doing a remake of Chapter One that’ll necessitate everyone restart their game, before that specific variable reoccurs.

So, it can really be ignored for now. :)

llAzurusll

Oct 6, 2022
Ok, I played up until the "Me and brent need money"... Im getting the anti nicki patch lmao

I had to edit this so people stopped misunderstanding - I said this because she came and asked for money after seeing that the mc has made alot of money O.O lmfao, idgaf if a character has a bf or not, if they do ill just ignore that route or go the steal route

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 194 Votes