Xypher

May 1, 2017
It is a type of visual novel where you are playing a premade path made by the author (or Dev here), meaning your choice does not matter in the overall narrative of the story.
Yeah this ain't it chief, your choices matter here unlike Kinetic Novels, where you don't make a choice and your just there for the ride. In this VN you can either act as an immoral asshole or be a good samaritan and how you interact with the characters. So please don't call this a KN when its not cause I had my fill of KNs and I hate them.

DannyLucifer

Jul 5, 2018
Yeah this ain't it chief, your choices matter here unlike Kinetic Novels, where you don't make a choice and your just there for the ride. In this VN you can either act as an immoral asshole or be a good samaritan and how you interact with the characters. So please don't call this a KN when its not cause I had my fill of KNs and I hate them.
I get what you're saying, but take the first choice for example every one of the choices leads to funky with Nicky. But maybe you're right I will give it a 3rd go. It just got me mad that I just cant say no to Nicky. I just want to give her the money and send her on her way never to meet again.
Since so many people are saying it's not a KN, I changed the review to 3 stars.

Doctor Shark

Nov 7, 2019
The only thing I can think is that maybe Danny is playing without the patch because you get a lot more meaningless choices without it. Otherwise this game is very far from a kinetic novel and the only choice I actually dislike is the Chapter 2 part where you can ask Madison to send Gabby to your house to apologize or ask to come over but either way you ask to come over.

Reactions: Doobiedoobiedoooo

PHIL101-YYouPPHard

Jan 11, 2022
Yes, I did, but that didn't mean I will drop it, cus I like the overall concept of the story. And if there are choices in the future that actually matter I will redact it, but at this point of the story, it's basically a kinetic novel. I also don't have a messiah complex, so I found the first scene very forced, Like my choice didn't matter. In my opinion, it was a valid point.
Dude, how do you call a game that literally in the programming has multiple paths for multiple characters resulting in COMPLETELY different scenes with literally different renders a kinetic novel? Having an opinion about a game is one thing, some people just don't enjoy certain content or decisions... but you're just simply incorrect; your 'criticism' isn't based on anything in the game. There will probably be some people that might read your review and not play the game because they believe you that it's a kinetic novel when it isn't.

EDIT: ok, I never played without the patch, so if the other comment is correct and it really does limit a lot and you're not using it, then you should probably download the patch.

Also, yes, Nicky as a character is forced on you, but the game is so much more than Nicky, trust us. Chp 2 and 3 are much better and considering how short Chp 1 is, you will get past it very quickly. Unfortunately, if you hate Nicky, she will continue to be 'forced' on you. I really don't know what to say other than just skip it... I understand your critical perspective now I think. But it's still definitely not a KN... just maybe has one character that you can't get rid of. Which, if you think about it, is sort of every incest game, right? You can't get rid of your sisters/daughters, but that doesn't mean it's a KN because you can't tell them to fuck off.

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyLucifer

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Someone is going to get the elephant fingering. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I don't care how people treat Nicki. I like her as a friend but I get some dislike her so can go all out and treat her like shit if they want.

I don't care if people assault the girl in the alley, go for gold you evil fuckers.

I don't even care if they are mean to Gab, I find her super cute so won't ever go evil myself but others, crack on.

However .... Viola is just adorable. From getting all excited because he liked her singing and wanted her to do music work to her cute lil smile and little whisper that retail was bullshit.

Anyway willing to hurt her deserves a special place in hell where cocks are peeled like bananas and eaten by smelly imps and the cocks regenerate every day so they get peeled every day and eaten by the same smelly imps.

Unless it's a girl, because they don't have cocks, in which case they should be made to grow one so it can be peeled like a banana and then eaten by smelly imps.

What i'm saying is they should suffer in agony in the fiery pits of hell for eternity if they hurt that cute girl.

SilentRunning

Feb 19, 2021
I get what you're saying, but take the first choice for example every one of the choices leads to funky with Nicky. But maybe you're right I will give it a 3rd go. It just got me mad that I just cant say no to Nicky. I just want to give her the money and send her on her way never to meet again.
Since so many people are saying it's not a KN, I changed the review to 3 stars.
The thing you have to realize is that choices in a visual novel can only exist inside what is possible with the story that the author is trying to tell.

At the end of the day all visual novels are stories that the author creates. Even in sandbox games you can only do what the author allows.

As a player you can't expect to be able to do whatever you want because that would make it impossible for the author to tell their story.

The only difference between a kinetic novel and a standard visual novel is that in a standard visual novel you get some choices, but for the most part they are often pretty minor or cosmetic. In a kinetic novel you get no choices.

Your complaint about "Friends in Need" being a kinetic novel is sort of valid, but this complaint would also be valid about 100% of all adult games.

It is simply impossible to tell a story and allow players do whatever they want. It is also technically impossible. All games have to have limits on what players are allowed to do.

You don't like having to deal with Nicky. That is your opinion. Your are entitled to it. But that doesn't make "Friends in Need" a kinetic novel because you can't just kick her out of the story.

• Red Heart
Reactions: NeonGhosts
Jul 29, 2017
Kudos for writing Nicki, she really comes off detestable and that made it hard to stay on both an inclusive and good path. Probably puts a deeper level of investment into the game for many and its not a particularly easy feat to create characters people might react towards. The story and characters have been genuinely pretty interesting so far, hope you carry forward with the game. I'd say it stands out from the other games with a darker tone in that the positive path seems like one you put equal time into.

DannyLucifer

Jul 5, 2018
Everyone is talking about the patch but the page is inaccessible to me. blocked.PNG
It says I'm blacklisted but I don't even know the reason for it. I don't even use workload often. Also, the patch is not made by the Dev...so cant fully trust it.

CamaroFan432

Mar 13, 2020
Everyone is talking about the patch but the page is inaccessible to me. View attachment 2050144
It says I'm blacklisted but I don't even know the reason for it. I don't even use workload often. Also, the patch is not made by the Dev...so cant fully trust it.
I tried it just now and it works fine for me. Scanned the file for threats, it's safe. If you want I send you a DM with the file attached. Don't want to unintentionally break any rules.

DannyLucifer

Jul 5, 2018
I tried it just now and it works fine for me. Scanned the file for threats, it's safe. If you want I send you a DM with the file attached. Don't want to unintentionally break any rules.
I figured out the problem it apparently somehow detects OperaGXs auto VPN and blocks it. Thanks anyway though.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
oh i remember i used to play with such content, now its removed and only accessed via patch ?
That's always been the case IIRC, to ensure patreon compliance. The patch just sets the game's patch variable to True, allowing non-patreon friendly content to be shown.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Were we supposed to start a new save, my hard save before picking to fuck or rape Nicki give errors, same with Ashe, my final quick save works though, and now get this 2 minutes into continuing with Nicki while giving her coffee.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Were we supposed to start a new save, my hard save before picking to fuck or rape Nicki give errors, same with Ashe, my final quick save works though, and now get this 2 minutes into continuing with Nicki while giving her coffee.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I had a few saves throwing errors as well, and the ones I could load typically loaded a few screens off where I'd saved. Looks like there's been enough minor edits to throw the whole script slightly off kilter.

4.50 star(s) 190 Votes