HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
HentaiWriter

um...some clarification on this?
View attachment 1797544
Has the game been delayed ever since Summer 2021?
Since around 2019 or so was when we first figured we'd have the game done, but unfortunately;

sometimes it's just the fact that they're making their first game and they have no idea how long this shit actually takes.
This happened, multiple times over. For future games, this shouldn't be as much of an issue because we've refined our workflow and we've learned much, much better what stuff will take far longer than expected and, most importantly, to not give release dates until the game is 99.9% done.

But this happened mainly because often, when we introduced something new to the game (more on that in a second), we ended up finding out "oh, shit, this particular feature or mechanic is how we expected it to be for the most part, but there's this one part that's kind of buggy/doesn't feel great to play/is way too hard/is way too easy, so we need to adjust it some".

And then THAT would turn into "ok, so we adjusted it, but NOW it's got THIS issue with it, and now it's got THAT issue", and so on.

The other issue that comes with a small team like ours (one programmer, one artist, one writer/level designer, one musician, and one sound engineer) is that if one of us is "knocked out" (sick, away with family, etc.) or burned out or is struggling with some particular aspect (ex. programming not operating as expected, can't come up with a good concept for art for an area, plot hole that needs to be fixed), it can slow the other people down because we're all dependent on each other's work.

------------------------

For example, if Frouge wants to program a boss, he can do the very basics, but to do anything beyond that would be a waste of time if he doesn't have the art to go with it, as he might make a hitbox for an attack far bigger than the eventual art for the attack is, for one tiny example among many.

Or if Triangulate wanted to make an enemy, but I haven't given him specifics yet about how I wanted it to be integrated into level design, then he can't make the enemy because he needs that info.

And for yet another example, if I wanted to write about the backstory/culture of an enemy in the game, I can't do so until the final art, attacks, etc. are in, because otherwise I could write up some big backstory about say, aliens that toss snowballs at each other with bombs in them, and then the final attack for the enemy ends up being laser beams only, making all that writing and time spent on it go to waste.

As all design/gameplay/art/audio/writing etc. choices in the game need to be decided by our team democratically (2 out of 3 votes for the main team), it can lead to a lot of refinements/compromises with some stuff in the game, which ends up being a time sink in some cases.

But we didn't want to make a game with the setup of "one person is the boss and what they say goes, period", because that kind of setup is so prevalent in games/movies/tv/media that while it gets things out the door and it gets things done, it also results in a lot of people just being used as "cogs in the machine", and that's the last thing we want.

------------------------

To go back to what I mentioned earlier about "new content being added" though;

Sometimes it's feature-creep
This has never been the case. There's a document from February 2015, back when we started on this, that already has all the levels outlined, with general mechanics, enemies, etc.

We've swapped some mechanics for others (the Ice Level used to have bridges you break as a mechanic, we swapped that for the laser puzzles), and we've of course added in a few things here and there, but for the most part, probably 95% of the game's main features/mechanics/content etc. was decided within the first few months of development and hasn't really changed much since then.

Then again, well-established 'real' game companies with multiple Big Games under their belt also make the same mistake constantly, so...
You're definitely right there, and that's with teams of sometimes 100+ people, and $10,000,000+ of dollars of funding behind it (not counting marketing funding), operating under the "you are a cog in the machine" principle to just grind out content regardless of how much passion/quality is actually in it.

Spore - 8 years
The Last Guardian - 9 years
Too Human - 9 years
Team Fortress 2 - 9 years
Final Fantasy XV - 10 years
Prey - 11 years
Diablo III - 11 years
Mother 3 - 12 years
Duke Nukem Forever - 15 years

For the record, Future Fragments is currently at 7.5 years.

It will probably be out by the start of 2023. Probably.
We have to release by the end of August at latest. We want it out sooner than that, but it's coming out no matter what state it's in by then because September-December is a death zone for games, and we literally can't afford to wait to January, because we'll be broke/maxed out credit cards by October at best.

I realize that's contradictory to what we've been saying about wanting to make sure it's in its most finished state, but we just have no choice financially. So we're working nonstop to get it out by then, we hired the second programmer we mentioned earlier, along with other things we've done to speed things up even more.

The first month of release will be a lot of fixing things up on our end for anything left we've got over if it does take that long, but worst case scenario, it should still be in a 99.9% completed state if it does take that long.

The main focus we have right now is just to make sure all the core content is in before release, then spend the rest of our time polishing/bugfixing.

Still, even with all this, I think that much like some of the games on that list, FF will turn out to be worth the wait/delays.
(There's no way in hell future games will take this long, though.)

Reactions: Zeddy

primerib1

Jul 8, 2020
Playing the demo from Steam, I'm stuck trying to get the following powerups:

P4M1 -- calligraphy brush? Even equipping Men's Sneakers just can't get me to jump high enough to the ledge.
Got this one. Gotta freeze that thing.

Sekrit Ruum (off Path 1) -- also, Men's Sneakers just can't get me to jump high enough.
Didn't know I can freeze 'em energy ballz.

ALL other powerups I've got; only these two.

Any hints?

All sekrits gotten, yay!

Last edited:

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Since around 2019 or so was when we first figured we'd have the game done, but unfortunately;

This happened, multiple times over. For future games, this shouldn't be as much of an issue because we've refined our workflow and we've learned much, much better what stuff will take far longer than expected and, most importantly, to not give release dates until the game is 99.9% done.

But this happened mainly because often, when we introduced something new to the game (more on that in a second), we ended up finding out "oh, shit, this particular feature or mechanic is how we expected it to be for the most part, but there's this one part that's kind of buggy/doesn't feel great to play/is way too hard/is way too easy, so we need to adjust it some".

And then THAT would turn into "ok, so we adjusted it, but NOW it's got THIS issue with it, and now it's got THAT issue", and so on.

The other issue that comes with a small team like ours (one programmer, one artist, one writer/level designer, one musician, and one sound engineer) is that if one of us is "knocked out" (sick, away with family, etc.) or burned out or is struggling with some particular aspect (ex. programming not operating as expected, can't come up with a good concept for art for an area, plot hole that needs to be fixed), it can slow the other people down because we're all dependent on each other's work.

------------------------

For example, if Frouge wants to program a boss, he can do the very basics, but to do anything beyond that would be a waste of time if he doesn't have the art to go with it, as he might make a hitbox for an attack far bigger than the eventual art for the attack is, for one tiny example among many.

Or if Triangulate wanted to make an enemy, but I haven't given him specifics yet about how I wanted it to be integrated into level design, then he can't make the enemy because he needs that info.

And for yet another example, if I wanted to write about the backstory/culture of an enemy in the game, I can't do so until the final art, attacks, etc. are in, because otherwise I could write up some big backstory about say, aliens that toss snowballs at each other with bombs in them, and then the final attack for the enemy ends up being laser beams only, making all that writing and time spent on it go to waste.

As all design/gameplay/art/audio/writing etc. choices in the game need to be decided by our team democratically (2 out of 3 votes for the main team), it can lead to a lot of refinements/compromises with some stuff in the game, which ends up being a time sink in some cases.

But we didn't want to make a game with the setup of "one person is the boss and what they say goes, period", because that kind of setup is so prevalent in games/movies/tv/media that while it gets things out the door and it gets things done, it also results in a lot of people just being used as "cogs in the machine", and that's the last thing we want.

------------------------

To go back to what I mentioned earlier about "new content being added" though;

This has never been the case. There's a document from February 2015, back when we started on this, that already has all the levels outlined, with general mechanics, enemies, etc.

We've swapped some mechanics for others (the Ice Level used to have bridges you break as a mechanic, we swapped that for the laser puzzles), and we've of course added in a few things here and there, but for the most part, probably 95% of the game's main features/mechanics/content etc. was decided within the first few months of development and hasn't really changed much since then.

You're definitely right there, and that's with teams of sometimes 100+ people, and $10,000,000+ of dollars of funding behind it (not counting marketing funding), operating under the "you are a cog in the machine" principle to just grind out content regardless of how much passion/quality is actually in it.

Spore - 8 years
The Last Guardian - 9 years
Too Human - 9 years
Team Fortress 2 - 9 years
Final Fantasy XV - 10 years
Prey - 11 years
Diablo III - 11 years
Mother 3 - 12 years
Duke Nukem Forever - 15 years

For the record, Future Fragments is currently at 7.5 years.

We have to release by the end of August at latest. We want it out sooner than that, but it's coming out no matter what state it's in by then because September-December is a death zone for games, and we literally can't afford to wait to January, because we'll be broke/maxed out credit cards by October at best.

I realize that's contradictory to what we've been saying about wanting to make sure it's in its most finished state, but we just have no choice financially. So we're working nonstop to get it out by then, we hired the second programmer we mentioned earlier, along with other things we've done to speed things up even more.

The first month of release will be a lot of fixing things up on our end for anything left we've got over if it does take that long, but worst case scenario, it should still be in a 99.9% completed state if it does take that long.

The main focus we have right now is just to make sure all the core content is in before release, then spend the rest of our time polishing/bugfixing.

Still, even with all this, I think that much like some of the games on that list, FF will turn out to be worth the wait/delays.
(There's no way in hell future games will take this long, though.)
damn...I opened a whole can of worms XD
gotta say I did lose some hope for the game but if you do maanage to deliver some quality (which I'm not reaaaaly doubtful of, having seen part of the game) you certainly will have some coin from me
kudos for being honest and taking the time to post a long-ass response :)

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I downloaded from the uploadhaven link. Does it not include stage 1?
The demos are separate levels, for reasons we chose design-wise. tl;dr it's less work to add in mechanics on later levels and then sew everything up so to speak come end-game, instead of change every level every time we make any minute adjustements.

The full game though will be all five levels together, properly (and we do have a QA tester build that's already got that in place).

Screen #3 English (NEW).png

damn...I opened a whole can of worms XD
gotta say I did lose some hope for the game but if you do maanage to deliver some quality (which I'm not reaaaaly doubtful of, having seen part of the game) you certainly will have some coin from me
kudos for being honest and taking the time to post a long-ass response :)
I'm glad you liked the response; I definitely think the final game will meet (most) people's expectations, relative to the delays we've had, especially in the story department :D

Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

RayAnimus

Dec 1, 2018
will we ever get around the part in stage 1 when she gets sucked by the boss and turns into a demon thingie? Would be cool to had a side story/mission with that

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
will we ever get around the part in stage 1 when she gets sucked by the boss and turns into a demon thingie? Would be cool to had a side story/mission with that
Not sure what you mean, if you're asking if there's a way to get around it, you'd just beat the boss without losing to it; if you're asking if you can play as that form, unfortunately we won't have that as it'd mean redoing tons of frames of animation by hand. Sorry!

RayAnimus

Dec 1, 2018
Not sure what you mean, if you're asking if there's a way to get around it, you'd just beat the boss without losing to it; if you're asking if you can play as that form, unfortunately we won't have that as it'd mean redoing tons of frames of animation by hand. Sorry!
Oh I meant something like a bonus stage where you play in that form, and you can capture the other heroins....and turning them too

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Oh I meant something like a bonus stage where you play in that form, and you can capture the other heroins....and turning them too
Ah no, sorry; we're almost done with development so to put something like that in now would be pretty impossible.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
DLC...DLC...DLC....
Even for DLC, it just wouldn't fit with the game's storyline or character personalities, there wouldn't really be anywhere we could work it in.

That, and outside of bugfixes and polishing the existing game, the only DLC we have planned are some extremely hard bonus maps (and all of it will be free DLC).

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#43 May 10th progress report.png

Weekly Progress Report #43 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

NoxUberholen

May 8, 2021
Hi, any mirrors for v0.49? Mega took down the file, anonfiles and mixdrop wont load, and RIP nopy. Thanks and cheers

Edit: used a VPN for anonfiles

Last edited:

Mistix

Dec 4, 2016
Even for DLC, it just wouldn't fit with the game's storyline or character personalities, there wouldn't really be anywhere we could work it in.

That, and outside of bugfixes and polishing the existing game, the only DLC we have planned are some extremely hard bonus maps (and all of it will be free DLC).
I don't know if it was mentioned before, but will those DLCs include new h-content?
You know, higher risk, higher reward :cool:

Griffan

May 17, 2018
I haven't played this game in so long... So what's up ? ^^
I would like to ask, why are there two versions ?
=> Are v0-27ex and v0.49 meant to be downloaded together or are they two separate things ?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I haven't played this game in so long... So what's up ? ^^
I would like to ask, why are there two versions ?
=> Are v0-27ex and v0.49 meant to be downloaded together or are they two separate things ?
So the reason for the two versions is that v0.27EX is a polished, single level of the game, close to the final gme's quality (full voicework, start to finish playthrough with cutscenes, story variants, finalized powerups, etc.)

v0.49 is a patreon build though that's meant just to show progress on the game, so it's very "janky" by comparison, no voicework, unfinished maps, things like that. It too is a single level, though, as all demos for the game are single levels; we're saving the versions with all the levels connected for beta testers and the final game.

(The reason for splitting the levels is because if we make a small change to one level, we didn't want to have to add that change to every other level, every time we made a change, which would have cost us many, many hours of dev time, instead of just doing all the final changes in one shot like we're doing now.)

All that said, due to v0.27EX being a polished version of the original v0.27P demo, that makes it actually the "newest version" of the game, despite it being numbered lower.

tl;dr
v0.27EX = polished single level demo
v0.49 = unfinished/janky single level demo

Reactions: Sapphique

BarneySNZ

Aug 29, 2019
Excuse me, after I sponsored $20 on patreon. How can I get the download after the game is officially released? Steam serial number? There's another question. I saw something different from the current game demo on some websites (such as ice boss). Have they been deleted? Do I have a chance to see it again in the official version?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Excuse me, after I sponsored $20 on patreon. How can I get the download after the game is officially released? Steam serial number? There's another question. I saw something different from the current game demo on some websites (such as ice boss). Have they been deleted? Do I have a chance to see it again in the official version?
I could have sworn I replied to this, sorry for the long wait.

To get the game after backing it on Patreon, we'll be sending you an email to the email you've used to register on Patreon after release, asking you what platform you want the game on; then we'll get a key from that storefront and send it to you.

The demos for the game are each separate levels, so if you wanted the Ice level, that'd be one specific demo, while Fire would be another, etc.

BarneySNZ

Aug 29, 2019
I could have sworn I replied to this, sorry for the long wait.

To get the game after backing it on Patreon, we'll be sending you an email to the email you've used to register on Patreon after release, asking you what platform you want the game on; then we'll get a key from that storefront and send it to you.

The demos for the game are each separate levels, so if you wanted the Ice level, that'd be one specific demo, while Fire would be another, etc.
Thank you for your reply. I understand the question about the final version. About the demonstration, I know that there is an ice mission. I wish to know about the boss of the level. And btw the sex animation in some old videos is different from the current demonstration. I want to know whether they have been replaced.

3.70 star(s) 84 Votes