Merlin7

Apr 20, 2019
"[...]doesn't give us an excuse to just blame everything on "the nature of crowdfunding" when there's a lot of stuff we could have done better (and we plan to do better with future games)."
I get that!! Always striving to improve in a positive direction - one of the best inherent qualities you and Frouge and Triangulate have imo. Certainly has shaped Future Fragments in many many awesome ways.

"[...]won't ruin things for people though."
Can't speak for anyone but me, but I won't mind. It'll be great to experience FF as a whole - and that experience will be so satisfying nothing else will matter haha. I suspect many other fans will feel the same, and hey, we're all old(?) adults(?) with jobs(?) now so updating or patching after a month of only playing during limited free time will be nbd. Heck, last month I just started playing Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time - waited more than a year and a half for most of the worst problems to be fixed(?). So a little in-progress voicework or edges needing polish will be a sweet breath of fresh air.

Glad you're still feeling the mojo - creating something from nothing but imagination, be it writing or music or art or anything that inspires people (sexual enjoyment counts too!! damn prudish societies), is a magical thing. And Future Fragments will have all of the above!

ilmncsm

Apr 10, 2018
I just hope the likely lack of voicework in some scenes/a bit of polish and things like that missing here and there at launch (probably less than 5% of voicework missing and only in rare/optional scenes) won't ruin things for people though.
Sure won't for me. Personally even when I'm excited enough about a game to buy it on release, I always wait at least a day or two for launch day bugs and issues to have a bit of time to be patched. If there's a bit of missing content, I'm content to buy it, then wait a few weeks until it's added in before playing. I've been patient this long, I can be patient for longer.

Reactions: Merlin7

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I suspect many other fans will feel the same, and hey, we're all old(?) adults(?) with jobs(?) now so updating or patching after a month of only playing during limited free time will be nbd. Heck, last month I just started playing Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time - waited more than a year and a half for most of the worst problems to be fixed(?). So a little in-progress voicework or edges needing polish will be a sweet breath of fresh air.
Yeah, I mean, not to repeat the whole debacle of attaching things to dates, but I'm fairly certain any missing voicework and such should be in by the first month after release. Not promising that though, of course.

There's actually a large amount of extra polish things we'd like to get in post-release too, but I can't promise we'll get those in in any specific time frame; some of them might even come many months down the road when we're working on our next game and Frouge wants to do them for FF to sort of get a "change of scenery" so he doesn't get burnt out on future games, that sort of thing.

Glad you're still feeling the mojo - creating something from nothing but imagination, be it writing or music or art or anything that inspires people (sexual enjoyment counts too!! damn prudish societies), is a magical thing. And Future Fragments will have all of the above!
After all this time, I definitely am still very excited to get this out; the cutscenes ended up being far better than I could have imagined thanks to all the flexibility our cutscene engine gives us, especially when tied into the Ideals system and your cutscene choices and in-game actions in general.

Some people might not like them, of course, but that's why 95% of the cutscenes are optional; if people just want to run and gun through the game, they can :D

Sure won't for me. Personally even when I'm excited enough about a game to buy it on release, I always wait at least a day or two for launch day bugs and issues to have a bit of time to be patched. If there's a bit of missing content, I'm content to buy it, then wait a few weeks until it's added in before playing. I've been patient this long, I can be patient for longer.
Glad to hear it man, and of course we'll keep progress posts coming weekly regarding to updates to things!

Reactions: ilmncsm and Merlin7

Shamaeth

Jan 9, 2018
I concur. I played Kathy Rain (non nsfw game) recently and, even though it was a nice touch to have the voicework pretty often, it is not why I enjoyed the game. It was a point and click but in metroidvanias some rushed voicework isn't really necessary in Bloodstained for example.

I had doubts about the game getting released but now I am confident that I can buy it at launch. Good luck for the final stretch.

FutureHUD

May 5, 2021
I honestly hate to be the sour egg, but i refuse to act like all the yes men in this thread and just lay out some brutal honesty regarding this game’s development cycle.

And i think i’m not the only who will have this opinion:

1. The constant blueballing is honestly appaling. We are on the what, EIGHTH delay now??? Just this year alone we have had Three delays (first was the february release, delayed. Then it was March 22, delayed to summer. Now we are getting it in the Fall season. It shouldn’t have been like this, especially when you move the goalpost when we are not far from release. You should have called an indefinite delay when you didn’t reach the original release deadline of april 2019, rather than constantly shifting it. The scope has been overwhelming, and it shows.

2. lack of transparency. Your weekly updates are lackluster and hardly ever gives us an idea of how much progress has actually been made, it’s usually the same text with minimal changes. People hate on eromancer for dragging things out (as we should) but atleast he provides a detailed update monthly with in game screenshots, render models and concept art for animations, scenery etc. This has lead to many people (me included unfortunately) to walk out and stop following your patreon. Your numbers prove this, with about 4% loss every month for the past year. as it stands, you have lost thousands since the original deadline delay (you peaked at 14k, now making 9k). Yes you gavenus those demos, but they ran their course really quickly and made us only more anxious for the full release.

The two points above is my main critiscm of your team. I started following the project late 2018, finally stopping here with the march to summer delay. I was beginning to think that this was all a pyramid scheme.

I get it, you and your team are inexperienced, have personal lives and are relativrly small with not much funding. But even with those factors taken into account, it doesn’t excuse anything tho, because even inexperienced people can sidestep my two points.

Tho i’m happy to hear we are finally getting a release in september, after nearly three years of extra waiting. I hope it turns out well, both for you and the people who have stuck with you till the end (they deserve it).

Finally, i hope you take my words to heart on your next projects.

I look forward to playing the game.

Shamaeth

Jan 9, 2018
I honestly hate to be the sour egg, but i refuse to act like all the yes men in this thread and just lay out some brutal honesty regarding this game’s development cycle.

And i think i’m not the only who will have this opinion:

1. The constant blueballing is honestly appaling. We are on the what, EIGHTH delay now??? Just this year alone we have had Three delays (first was the february release, delayed. Then it was March 22, delayed to summer. Now we are getting it in the Fall season. It shouldn’t have been like this, especially when you move the goalpost when we are not far from release. You should have called an indefinite delay when you didn’t reach the original release deadline of april 2019, rather than constantly shifting it. The scope has been overwhelming, and it shows.

2. lack of transparency. Your weekly updates are lackluster and hardly ever gives us an idea of how much progress has actually been made, it’s usually the same text with minimal changes. People hate on eromancer for dragging things out (as we should) but atleast he provides a detailed update monthly with in game screenshots, render models and concept art for animations, scenery etc. This has lead to many people (me included unfortunately) to walk out and stop following your patreon. Your numbers prove this, with about 4% loss every month for the past year. as it stands, you have lost thousands since the original deadline delay (you peaked at 14k, now making 9k). Yes you gavenus those demos, but they ran their course really quickly and made us only more anxious for the full release.

The two points above is my main critiscm of your team. I started following the project late 2018, finally stopping here with the march to summer delay. I was beginning to think that this was all a pyramid scheme.

I get it, you and your team are inexperienced, have personal lives and are relativrly small with not much funding. But even with those factors taken into account, it doesn’t excuse anything tho, because even inexperienced people can sidestep my two points.

Tho i’m happy to hear we are finally getting a release in september, after nearly three years of extra waiting. I hope it turns out well, both for you and the people who have stuck with you till the end (they deserve it).

You are not a "sour egg" : just realistic. When you invest your money, you expect something in return. If you don't get the results, you don't pay anymore. A wider effect of these delays (in other nsfw or sfw games) is that it is pretty easy to become disillusioned when it comes to pledges to other projects too or just getting excited for a release date that is more prospective than based on more grounded goals. But maybe that is just me.

Unfortunate indeed.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I wouldn't call them yes men, especially when quite a few of them were pretty against the game at the start of development.

1. The constant blueballing is honestly appaling.
Blueballing would imply we're deliberately delaying the game; this would benefit no one. We haven't broken even on the Patreon in almost two years now, which is why we're now forced to submit the game as of September 22nd, even with it likely not being 100% complete. (The voicework will be the main thing that'll have content missing, as well as a bit of polish here and there.)

We are on the what, EIGHTH delay now??? Just this year alone we have had Three delays (first was the february release, delayed. Then it was March 22, delayed to summer. Now we are getting it in the Fall season. It shouldn’t have been like this, especially when you move the goalpost when we are not far from release. You should have called an indefinite delay when you didn’t reach the original release deadline of april 2019, rather than constantly shifting it. The scope has been overwhelming, and it shows.
It shouldn't have been like this, no.
But, unfortunately, things happen. I'm not sure what else I can say besides this that I haven't said before, but when a complication arises and things take longer than we thought they would to make sure things work correctly/make sense in-game and in-lore/play well, that pushes everything else back as a result.

The scope hasn't changed since about 2016. I've got game design documents listing out the enemies, the mechanics, etc. dated to back then.
But even if that wasn't the case, why is a large scope an issue? People are free to back out of the Patreon anytime they want, as well as request full refunds and they get rewards, indefinitely, from only backing once.
We set out to make a game that had a significant amount of content from the getgo, as intended.

All of the release date issues though are why we will never have release dates for a game ever again, until the game is 100% complete and ready to ship. We won't even say what year it'll be complete in, let alone the month.

2. lack of transparency. Your weekly updates are lackluster and hardly ever gives us an idea of how much progress has actually been made, it’s usually the same text with minimal changes.
This is a bit of an exaggeration; I can't think of more than 2 or 3 of the weekly updates that have "the same text with minimal changes" all around the board. Almost every progress report shows a change in the amount of things left, etc.

We can't post huge, gigantic changes to the game, because the game is almost entirely done. There's not really a way to post something like "finished three bosses off this week" or "completed five animations", because all the art is done, all the music is done, all the sound effects are done, all the maps are done, etc.

The remaining content to get done that we could list would be almost entirely backend stuff that would be either;
- pages and pages of bugfix information, most of which won't make any sense without context and/or would be spoilers
- things even more convoluted than that, like what programming got done to link the True Final Boss up to the main game, which can't really be "quantified" in a way that 95% of people reading the progress report would care to read about

It's also a pretty big time sink to write up a list of minutia of every small thing changed; I could fill a 3 page changelist since last week from just the tiny adjustments I'd done to the script, or another 2 page changelist from all the different things I worked through with Wishful Simping in terms of getting music actually laid out properly in-game in regards to volume levels (the mastering just finished yesterday for the game, now mastering has to be done for the soundtrack), and another 3 page document in regards to all the things done to the True Final Boss to get it in-game.

99% of people are not going to want to read through the minutia of that, so it's time we'd be better off spending working on the game, instead of collecting that data and going back over every small change we made and listing it.

However, the last progress report does say outright how many cutscenes are left, as well as describing what I've been doing on them.

People hate on eromancer for dragging things out (as we should) but atleast he provides a detailed update monthly with in game screenshots, render models and concept art for animations, scenery etc.
The biggest reason there isn't a lot of "content" in the progress reports, is because of spoilers.
Almost everything left we could show is gigantic, game-end spoilers, and as has been asked of us many times by backers, people on twitter, and discord, they don't want to be spoiled.

Blurring out the content only works on certain things too; if we blur say, the final boss, people are going either A) know who it is because we didn't blur it enough, or B) it'll be so blurred it'll be just a big blob of colors.

This has lead to many people (me included unfortunately) to walk out and stop following your patreon. Your numbers prove this, with about 4% loss every month for the past year.
We did know going into this that this would happen, and we would rather have people stop backing us than spoil the game for people.

However, we've always had people dropping frequently; from our exit surveys, this is usually due to people only needing to back once for rewards. So people use Patreon more as a sales platform than a crowdfunding platform (something Patreon has went on record saying they encourage people to do more of the former, than the latter).

We do as well; I think the amount of content we've packed into it will hopefully make up for the time the game's taken, for most people at least, even if we do have to spend the month after release finishing content/polishing things.

Thanks to work on Future Fragments, for future games, we'll have;
- an extremely solid team we can rely on across the board
- our own engine effectively that we can reshape as we need
- a much better workflow/pipeline that we've developed for both work and Patreon rewards/etc.
- a heck of a lot more experience and lessons learned, like not giving out release dates, ever
- posting progress reports from the start, so people can get substantial visual stuff unlike now
- not breaking apart demos and only posting demos every so often, instead of monthly, so we don't "flood" places with a ton of demos that make it hard for people to figure out which one to play

I do appreciate the feedback, and hopefully my reply here shows that we've got a lot of stuff covered for future games.

Why not both he writes a massive essay while at the same time working on the game?
That would be impossible, since multitasking is impossible, of course. :sneaky:

You are not a "sour egg" : just realistic. When you invest your money, you expect something in return. If you don't get the results, you don't pay anymore. A wider effect of these delays (in other nsfw or sfw games) is that it is pretty easy to become disillusioned when it comes to pledges to other projects too or just getting excited for a release date that is more prospective than based on more grounded goals. But maybe that is just me.
No, that's not just you; that is why we do have our three things we do of
- refunding people if they ask
- needing only one pledge to get rewards forever
- posting almost all patreon-based content publicly for those who can't afford to, or don't want to back us

Last edited:

Merlin7

Apr 20, 2019
Not with that attitude you won't!
I'm 99% sure you're joking, but just in case you're not or some folks here are unaware - try googling "multitasking neuroscience" and reading some of the studies and articles that pop up. It's pretty fascinating stuff! All about how the myth of multitasking leads people to bounce between tasks and how that really hurts both work productivity (quantity) and work efficiency (quality). It also kills at least a few thousand people a year in the US. Or to put it more accurately, they die due to hurtling through space in metal deathtraps while they do stuff other than drive. ~20% of the time they even take innocent bystanders down with them!

Waiting to see the massive essay he'll send your way instead of working on the game.
He doesn't have much of a choice here, it's a business requirement due to the 24/7 internet news cycle. See:
"[...]critique is fine, always gonna welcome that, it's my job to respond to stuff like the post I responded to and clarify things, because if I don't, it can spiral out of control pretty quickly and affect both the reputation for future games as well as Future Fragments[...]"
Emphasis is mine, added. In a happier world the FF team would have dedicated social media/PR/marketing/advertising member(s) who took all this off HentaiWriter, but we're not in that world rn. Afaik the best/only step he can take to minimize multitasking is separating his workday into segments. Hopefully being the #1 bestselling game on Steam for Fall 2022 will allow for growth and specialization of the team for next time!

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Afaik the best/only step he can take to minimize multitasking is separating his workday into segments. Hopefully being the #1 bestselling game on Steam for Fall 2022 will allow for growth and specialization of the team for next time!
To be fair, even if we had a zillion dollars, I wouldn't hire anyone on to do PR or marketing or networking besides me.
That's not because I think I'm the best in the world at it; far from it, as evidenced by my many screwups as I've learned uh, not to screw up as much.

But no one in the world is as good at marketing our games as I am, and I think that's the same for all developers on their own games.

No one knows a game anywhere close to as well as the people who've grinded out all the work on it for years and years, and Frouge and Triangulate aren't too into doing the marketing/PR thing, so it's pretty much entirely my avenue to do things on.

But yeah, uh, what are segments? What's a workday? That'd imply I do anything but work nowadays, hahaha...

FutureHUD

May 5, 2021
Happy to see you took it so well HentaiWriter, admittedly i may have come off a little harsh, but i just have had a lot of grievances regarding the games development is all. Your comment tho did give me some peace of mind regarding the games and the teams quality going forward.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Happy to see you took it so well HentaiWriter, admittedly i may have come off a little harsh, but i just have had a lot of grievances regarding the games development is all. Your comment tho did give me some peace of mind regarding the games and the teams quality going forward.
Glad to hear it; hopefully the full game eases some of your worries, and that the quality of it makes up for the delays some also.

#55 August 15th progress report.png

Weekly Progress Report #55 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

----------------------

I've decided to start posting the blurbs I post on Discord when I post updates over there, too; if you want to see past blurbs, you can find them at the Discord link up above, and then go to the #progress-reports channel.

----------------------

Whoops, I uh, completely lost track of time and thought the weekly update was today, not yesterday.

Making good progress on the cutscenes though, although admittedly a good amount of them are quicker ones to knock out.

But some of them were massive brain drains to do (like the entire Shadow Vie ones), because those setup the entire "core" of your relationship with her, as well as her backstory and objective of her reason to team up with you, plus a lot of other stuff that ties into many, many other things.

So I had to go back and re-write parts of those ones a few times to fit in with existing cutscenes/events.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Also, because I just wrote this in the Discord, if anyone's curious what steps I go through to do a cutscene for an NPC.

Hopefully this will give a better idea of what I meant when I said the prep work is the majority of work behind making a cutscene. Might also just be interesting for anyone interested in reading about it.

---------------------

First, as almost all the cutscene characters in the game (with a few exceptions) were Patreon backers, a long long time ago, they emailed me saying what they wanted in the game for their NPC character.

Generally, this would just be a single line or so, like for the character I'm about to show you, this was what was in the email as the request;

"Something like a retired hero/knight or something. Someone older and grizzled but still willing to lend a hand where it counts. A big beefed up old guy with sprinkles of good advice."

They also got to name the character, which in this case, was Davin Norose.

----------------------

Second, I would figure out where to place the character, where those attributes made the most sense; since they were a character that would provide advice, it'd probably make sense for them to be in the first level of the game, where players would most want that advice, instead of later on when things are mostly hands off.

So he ended up in the Fire Level.

----------------------

Third, with that taken care of, I'd start writing down a summary of his traits, expanding on what the backer wanted while tying them into the overarching lore/worldbuilding of the game, as well as tying them into other characters and the player themselves.

Screenshot_956.png

This picture shows the cutscene summary per what the backer wanted, with a few extra notes of my own.

The main "notes" section covers all the different ways I'd like to have him interact with other characters and the player themselves.

Then, finally, the "DB Connect" and "Scene Connect" list any Databank or Cutscene connections he's got; in this case, he's got interactions with cutscenes #9 and #19 in the same level (Fire), so if you talk to those characters first before talking to Davin, you'll end up getting different results from Davin's cutscene, versus talking to him first and THEN the other two, which will change THEIR cutscenes.

Killing Davin (or not) or the other two characters, and other actions you can do too, would change things as well.

The connection to #78 is for a later level, so that's one-way; talking to Davin first will make Teshy react differently when you talk to him in the third level, the Electric level.

----------------------

Fourth, once that "draft" version up above is done, I'd refine the events listed and give the character a tiny bit more info.

Screenshot_959.png

(The red bar here under the "Done?" column means it's a sex scene for my own notes, but it's done.)

You can see the character now has an actual age range, more sectioned off/well defined notes for his traits, and a few things have been removed or shifted around; this is effectively sort of a "second draft" of the character.

----------------------

Fifth, I take that above information and I write up instructions to myself for what each "Tab" will have for the cutscene.

A Tab in our game is a "variant" of the cutscene; for example, Tab 0 is always the "base" cutscene, but if you've done something else somewhere in the level or the game as a whole, the character might respond to you differently partway through Tab 0, so you'll shift to Tab 1 partway through Tab 0.

Here's the writeup I did for Davin Norose; it's a good chunk of text.

Solid chunk of text said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAB 0-7:
  • Davin is a retired WORM hero, older, grizzled, muscular, and willing to lend a hand where it counts; he introduces himself mentioning all of these at the start of the scene, as well as some of his accomplishments.
  • Offers to tell you WORM secrets because he enjoys presenting a challenge to others as to what is and isn't truth.
  • Considers himself a hero, despite being with the WORM; has overwhelming confidence in his abilities, takes shit from no one.
  • If no other tabs here would activate, then he asks you if you want to hear some WORM secrets; if yes, he'll give you one of 7 secrets based on whatever your highest Ideal is.
  • The conversation quickly ends after that, as he says he's got to handle a dispute between two coworkers; if your highest Ideal was hatred or violence ones, Talia will assume he's going to kick some ass, but he looks disappointed and explains he'd always try to deal with conflicts with compromise first, violence second. Any other values, she'll just be like "ok, sure". If optimism or pacifism is the highest, then she tells him she trusts he's a great negotiator, to which he'll laugh and flex, noting that if negotiation doesn't work, force always will.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAB 8:
  • If you've seen Cviha in advance, cutscene instantly jumps to this tab once Davin introduces himself.
  • He will again note that he doesn't mind telling Cviha WORM secrets because no one's gonna challenge the "great Davin", and he thinks it just ups the challenge/game for both of them for Cviha to figure out which of his statements are truth or not, a fun game they play with each other.
  • He then segues into asking if you'd like to hear a secret or two yourself; segue back into the choices for tabs 0-7, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAB 9:
  • Davin introduces himself here still.
  • If you've talked to Cain before talking to Davin, you can tell him as such; this will result in Davin just laughing about it and saying he's got no need to chase him down.
  • This overrides Tabs 8 and 0-7.
  • He then tells you a story about how he singlehandedly compressed Cain the Distained's room/pod/etc. into the size of a ball with his bare hands after he heard all the shit he'd been up to; it's implied this is an exaggeration, though. He asks you if you think he's serious or not: if you say yes, you get points in optimism, if you say no, you get points in pessimism.
  • Afterwards, he leaves, saying he's changed his mind while talking to you and that it might be fun to chase him around a little again.
TAB 10-11:
  • If you killed Cain beforehand and AFTER talking to Cain, he'll say he knows because of his connections, introduces himself much quicker.
  • Overrides all other tabs below it.
  • He will very quickly cut to a question; he'll ask you if you enjoyed it or not.
  • If you pick you did, violence goes up a tiny amount, but justice goes down.
  • He says he can't blame you, but he doesn't like hanging out around bloodthirsty people.
  • If you pick you didn't, violence and hatred goes down, justice goes up some.
  • He's impressed at your sense of self, and says he's leaving because he wants to work on himself some back at home; your personal growth has inspired him.
  • He then clarifies he's talking about his muscles, not his spirit; he's already mastered that, but muscles are never complete.
TAB 12:
  • If you killed Cviha beforehand WITHOUT talking to him, he'll berate you for just killing people haphazardly.
  • He then walks off, disappointed that his lunch partner won't be around anymore.
TAB 13:
  • If you killed Cviha AFTER talking to Cviha, but before talking to Davin, Davin will scold you hard for killing an innocent man who'd already been through so much.
  • Talia tries to claim he'll respawn anyways, so what's the big deal?
  • He'll talk coldly and note that he KNOWS what Talia is capable of, and what her weaponry does.
  • She HAD to have known he won't respawn.
  • He then walks off, disgusted with her.
TAB 14-15
  • If Talia's sexuality value is fairly high and none of the other tabs between 7 and here trigger, then instead of the questions, Davin will point out that Talia's clearly been having a lot of sex.
  • At this point, the player will get a choice to come onto Davin, and he's got no complaints.
  • If they reject him, they segue into the 0-7 Tab variant questions.
  • This is somewhat out of character for Talia, but to trigger this, the player would have had to intentionally have a good amount of sex more than would normally have likely happened on the first level.
  • Would be a fairly "equal" scene power-wise, since Talia initiated it and he's a strong willed person himself.
  • Afterwards, Talia would be kind of shocked that she took initiative like that.
  • He leaves afterwards, saying he's gonna go take a nap at home after that one.
----------------------

Finally, using that info, I'll write the actual full script for the character.
I might still have to do some research for scientific terms/technology or other related things, but that's not too much extra time usually.

There's also a 17th variant here that I didn't show per massive spoilers with it, so I'll leave it up to the players to find that one.

Regarding the number of variants here, that isn't out of the norm; a good chunk of the game's 250+ cutscenes have 10+ variants, and almost all of them have at least 3-5 extra variants.

However, in a given playthrough, a player will only see one or two of these variants; that's intended to increase replayability and to have a different experience each time you play the game, which we've designed to be dense horizontally (lots of different variants of events), but not that dense vertically (so on average, people can play through it in 4-8 hours depending on play style, multiple times, without getting burnt out)

Hopefully though, all the above should give a better idea of how I do the writing for the game and what you can expect with the full game.

----------------------

HentaiWriter
From the sounds of it, you're going to continue making games after this. Do you have any ideas yet? More of the same? Expansions? Top secret?
Yep; we've got a lot of game ideas and game design documents in various states of completion, but all the games I work on tie into the same universe and have overarching plot links, so the events of Future Fragments will directly impact future games, even though they'll be set potentially decades, or centuries, or millenia in the future.

You can read some about a game we'll be finishing off after Future Fragments while we flesh out ideas for a bigger game here;

https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-27ex-march-2022-demo-hentaiwriter.1550/post-6884057

Merlin7

Apr 20, 2019
But no one in the world is as good at marketing our games as I am, and I think that's the same for all developers on their own games.
No one knows a game anywhere close to as well as the people who've grinded out all the work on it for years and years, and Frouge and Triangulate aren't too into doing the marketing/PR thing, so it's pretty much entirely my avenue to do things on.
I see where you're coming from on that, makes a lot of sense especially considering PR fiascos like what happened with Cyberpunk - prominently marketed & advertised gameplay features being cut not only from the final game but apparently from patches afterwards as well. The natural disconnect between specialists and divided roles can be a big negative. That said, have you thought about what you'd change for next time as far as the team goes? I know you've said the composition may change, not necessarily a permanent Three (now 4 with the added programmer) Musketeers thing.
But yeah, uh, what are segments? What's a workday? That'd imply I do anything but work nowadays, hahaha...
:eek:Even if you're working every waking moment, it might help to structure it a bit - cutscenes in the morning, clear your mind with lunch and social medias midday, back to cutscenes in the afternoon, touch base with the team in the evening & dinner. Just a random example, I've struggled with work-life balance and crunch myself so I know it's FAR, FAR, easier to say than do. Especially since you hold a leadership role and dev team and PR and human with basic needs to remain alive - all four go nuts at crunchtime much less all four in one person.
Hopefully though, all the above should give a better idea of how I do the writing for the game and what you can expect with the full game.
It did, very cool, thanks! Especially exciting since I'm one of the lucky patrons getting the cutscene character treatment - such a great backer reward idea.
What's Triangulate up to btw? Working on Eroding Ego? (tyvm for that link btw, I was out of touch with your other projects and Patreon as a whole for a few tough years) If it's time/money/planning feasible, perhaps simp grunt could make a comeback so there's art to post, to please the visually-based masses. Or non-canon line drawings like the workout clothes one or the ladies all stuck in holes, those were both really cool! Or let him go wild with concept ideas for the future maybe? ...tho I suppose since the art for FF is done having him get started on EE is a better plan business wise.

P.S. I hope you have games for every letter of the alphabet someday! Or use them to spell something.
P.P.S. Congrats on the enormous progress! 277 to 194 in a smidge more than a week is spectacular. (y)

Last edited:

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
That said, have you thought about what you'd change for next time as far as the team goes? I know you've said the composition may change, not necessarily a permanent Three (now 4 with the added programmer) Musketeers thing.
It depends on the game, really; the most I would probably ever get on the team though for 2D games would be another artist or two, just because you can really cleanly "separate" tasks there (ex. background artist + GUI artist + sprite artist), while with programming and writing, things become hard to separate/not step on each other's shoes.

:eek:Even if you're working every waking moment, it might help to structure it a bit - cutscenes in the morning, clear your mind with lunch and social medias midday, back to cutscenes in the afternoon, touch base with the team in the evening & dinner.
To be clear, I was more implying that I didn't know what segments were because if everything is work, then nothing is separate, haha. But yeah, I do segment stuff like that for the most part, although there's some days where my brain just isn't coming up with good writing so I devote the entire day to ripping voicework or something like that where it's more straightforward, vs. referencing 20 documents to write a scene etc.

It did, very cool, thanks! Especially exciting since I'm one of the lucky patrons getting the cutscene character treatment - such a great backer reward idea.
I looked up your character, and yeah, he's actually one of the very next ones I'm going to write.
Originally, all the backer characters were meant to be databanks, but we got so many that I picked the ones that would work best with cutscenes and had them be cutscene characters instead.

Your character in particular also, btw, got a unique sprite, as well as a unique sex scene/animation, so there's that too :p the character just fit for having both of those, so we set that up for them a long while back.

I can post it here if you want, unless you don't want it spoiled, that is.

What's Triangulate up to btw? Working on Eroding Ego?
So the team for Eroding Ego is actually different; the art for it was done by a different artist, and we're going to be looking for an artist to do the sprites/sex scenes once we start up work on it again.

But most of the content for it is done in terms of music and art and design, as well as the storyline (just have to write the actual script of course). We haven't worked on it since about 2019, though.

P.S. I hope you have games for every letter of the alphabet someday! Or use them to spell something.
I can say right now that the alliterative titles aren't meant to spell anything, it's more just kind of a thing where I like alliterative titles.
But I can say that the title for each game does have two traits;

1) It has the core mechanics/macguffins/objectives in the title, the thing players are introduced to very quickly at the start of the game
2) It also has the twist/final ending of the game hidden in the title as well

So each game title is meant to have the beginning and end of the game both effectively in there.

And yeah, I hope we have that many in the future too :D

P.P.S. Congrats on the enormous progress! 277 to 194 in a smidge more than a week is spectacular. (y)
Thanks a lot! But to be fair, a good amount of those were quick ones; future weeks likely won't have as much progress, but there should still be solid progress.

Merlin7

Apr 20, 2019
I can post it here if you want, unless you don't want it spoiled, that is.
Ahhh the excitement and temptation are so strong!! Especially because I might not uncover all dialogue variations on my own (assuming I have them). But... I'll let the suspense build and opt for no spoilers. Thank you for offering though! And for being so good to me and presumably to mini-2D-me! ...watch his sex scene turn out to also be his murder for extra violent points or something bahahaha (btw not suggesting or encouraging that unless it's already your plan O_O so scary)
Edit: just realized for all of us being turned into cutscene pixel bros... on a violent playthrough Talia will kill us. What a funny/odd feeling/head-twisting concept. Never fully hit me before - it's not all joy & pleasure in paradise!
[...]the title for each game does have two traits;

1) It has the core mechanics/macguffins/objectives in the title, the thing players are introduced to very quickly at the start of the game
2) It also has the twist/final ending of the game hidden in the title as well

So each game title is meant to have the beginning and end of the game both effectively in there.
This is SO awesome, and I agree the alliteration's cool. Helps distinguish your games too!
Thanks a lot! But to be fair, a good amount of those were quick ones; future weeks likely won't have as much progress, but there should still be solid progress.
Even so! I think the naysayers have to acknowledge that things are on track for release with a turnover rate like that. There's hope and light at the end of this multi-year h-game love tunnel! ;)

Last edited:

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Ahhh the excitement and temptation are so strong!! Especially because I might not uncover all dialogue variations on my own (assuming I have them). But... I'll let the suspense build and opt for no spoilers. Thank you for offering though! And for being so good to me and presumably to mini-2D-me! ...watch his sex scene turn out to also be his murder for extra violent points or something bahahaha (btw not suggesting or encouraging that unless it's already your plan O_O so scary)
Oh, there's no sex scenes where people get killed in the game haha, but I will also say that your scene connects to another character's scene to enable a secret variation of it, AND that you're one of I think about 30 NPCs that got "Book" scenes.

There's an artifact/book in the game that ties into the plot in a significant way, but as part of the game's plot/mechanics, every time you start the game, you get a random "book value" of between 1 to 100. This book value ties into multiple aspects of cutscenes and a specific powerup too.

"Book" scenes in the game are ones where you need;
1) Your "Book value" to be within a specific range (or exact number)
and
2) A set of extremely out of the box, special requirements, usually based on your gameplay choices

So very, very few people will run into these, and I look forward to the first time someone runs into any of these type of scenes, and I hope they post them online when they discover them :)

As sort of a reward for "book scenes", they tend to all be fairly unorthodox/out of the box themselves, so I hope people enjoy them.

Edit: just realized for all of us being turned into cutscene pixel bros... on a violent playthrough Talia will kill us. What a funny/odd feeling/head-twisting concept. Never fully hit me before - it's not all joy & pleasure in paradise!
Just wait until you see how the backers who got their name in the background got tied into the plot :KEK:

This is SO awesome, and I agree the alliteration's cool. Helps distinguish your games too!
That's my hope yeah, but I also just like having fun with trying to come up with titles with those limitations :)

Even so! I think the naysayers have to acknowledge that things are on track for release with a turnover rate like that. There's hope and light at the end of this multi-year h-game love tunnel! ;)
Definitely; I wish we could get it even more polished/complete before release, but hopefully it won't be too bad with the bits here and there missing, we'll clean them up as fast as we can though.

3.70 star(s) 84 Votes