HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
the disclaimer seems very shady. To me, it is reading...
I want to sell each level separately, so I am saying I have to do it this way, but in reality, no other game is made to do this.
You can sign into the Patreon right now and get all the previous demos released on Patreon for that $5 monthly pledge; additionally, at launch, the whole game is $20, all levels, all content, no bugs, no DLC to add in missing content (and it's half off if you pledge on Patreon, so $10).

Also, many games develop the "backbone" of the levels in the game first and the game engine, and then sweep back to polish the levels. You just don't see it often in indie development because not many indie games plan out the full game from the get go, so they're unable to do it.

Given the interconnected nature of each level, in that what you do in level 1 changes level 2 which changes level 3 and 4 and 5 and the ending, there would be no feasible way to sell the levels separately; it would break the entire game.

The reason we're doing development this way is to save time.

Imagine you were building a house; then imagine you started off on the living room, and completely finished it off 100% with all the wiring, plumbing, pipes, paint, scaffolding, lights, etc. but the rest of the house was untouched.

Now imagine about a month or two later, you decide to change the paintjob on the house and you realized that your wiring was wrong as you're doing the same method on the bathroom.

Now you've got to go and tear all that paint off, tear the stucco off, tear the wiring out, costing you months of time as you have to rework all those things just to accommodate a simple paint color change and wiring change.

That's the problem with developing a game the way most people do it and why you see a lot of delays to rework things.

What we're doing is instead making sure the entire framework of the house is done, the entire wiring and piping and scaffolding and stucco for the house is done (the engine) all around the board, so when we have to make adjustments, the time spent to make those adjustments is minimal.

Once we've locked down the framework and engine for the game, we've gathered all the paint, lights, couches, television sets, etc. outside of the house, ready to put in the house.

These are our base assets; sound, art, music, writing, so on.

With all of them assembled, but not "locked down", we're able to scope out exactly where we want to put them across the game and again, if we decide something isn't working quite right, no worries, it's a simple 5 minute adjustment instead of a 3 month delay to fix it.

That's why doing this method, if you have a plan to start with on how long your game is, what assets it'll have, what content, gameplay, etc. and then executing it this way will allow you to have a high degree of polish with a minimal amount of time lost to mistakes or adjustments.

zensei

Jan 20, 2018
the disclaimer seems very shady. To me, it is reading...
I want to sell each level separately, so I am saying I have to do it this way, but in reality, no other game is made to do this.

I could be wrong in the reading though. I am jaded by EA, and Bethesda's policy of selling incomplete, and totally bugged games, and then making you buy DLCs, and other patches to complete their game, or even just make it playable.
??? This is a crowdfunded project and they're releasing updates every month, it's literally how every patreon funded game works... And these guys are one of the actually good patreon devs that actually release a ton of content for anyone that supports it. And the PR Manager HentaiWriter is nice enough to tolerate us pirating the demos and still responds to feedback ever since the thread was created here. You're comparing indie developers and artists to corporations that have money before consumers in mind, that isn't even close to a fair comparison

Last edited:

apolloladdie

Aug 5, 2017
Given the interconnected nature of each level, in that what you do in level 1 changes level 2 which changes level 3 and 4 and 5 and the ending, there would be no feasible way to sell the levels separately; it would break the entire game.
HentaiWriter , zyx012 , 156_163_146_167

I guess I am just jaded with the way game have been developing over the course of the last couple decades. And I took my frustration and irritation out on a innocent developer. For that, I am sorry. Also, thank you for being cordial in your responses.

HentaiWriter How I read the post is obviously not how it was to be intended. I thank you for going through your process, and clarifying things. Good luck to you and your endeavors in the gaming world.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
HentaiWriter , zyx012 , 156_163_146_167

I guess I am just jaded with the way game have been developing over the course of the last couple decades. And I took my frustration and irritation out on a innocent developer. For that, I am sorry. Also, thank you for being cordial in your responses.

HentaiWriter How I read the post is obviously not how it was to be intended. I thank you for going through your process, and clarifying things. Good luck to you and your endeavors in the gaming world.
Completely understandable that you'd be jaded about things; I feel the same way with a lot of companies trying to screw over or nickle and dime every person despite already being obscenely rich.

No offense taken at all, and I hope you don't feel unwelcome in the thread or anything like that; I just wanted to make sure you weren't misunderstanding or anything, which is why I went so in depth about things. If you do try the game, definitely try out the v027F link first, as it's the most completed version, and if you do play it please let us know what you thought about it :D bad and good, of course.

Reactions: Canto Forte

apolloladdie

Aug 5, 2017
I played through your demo, and let me say this... I miss old 8 bit Metroid.
I have not played a decent side scroll game in a while. And there have been numerous adult ones coming out lately. With only a couple that are worth mention. And they all have a similar premise.

1. Start a Patreon
2. Make a game.
3. Put some sex into it.
4. Maybe half ass the music.
5. Profit as you never complete the game, or half ass an ending.
6. OR... Make as much off Patreon as you can, and finally abandon the project after stringing people along.

When I made the post earlier, this is exactly what I expected of your game, and is why... until your polite reply to my disrespectful comment, I did not even consider trying to try the demo. As such I decided to try to demo, and give my honest opinion. I am still jaded with a lot of developers, indi or professional, but I will not let that pervert this review.

What I did not expect was quality audio.
1. The voice actors are not generated voices from a computer.
2. The sound is crisp and smooth
3. It is not just the same person pretending to be another, over and over.
4. The equalizing is not skewed, and all over. Or, it is not focused on one side or the other (treble/base)
5. I understand this is not a multi-million dollar company, but it seems like they actually tried, and cared.

I also did not expect the story. For just one level, there was honestly a lot of story being told. And the banter is great/funny.

I was expecting a 8bit gameboy game, but was surprised when it turned out to be more of a... I don't know... like a remastered 8bit game. It still has the nostalgia of 8bit, but is more polished... softer...

Being a young game, I did not expect the gameplay mechanics to be complete yet, and that was true. That is fine though.
I do think that a little more variety in the specials would be nice, but I can see that is coming (in your menus)
The gravity reversing is a nice touch... Disorientating, but nice.
Being able to bind the key is great. (space will always be jump for me)
You are never overwhelmed with opponent, and they do not seem to just get harder and harder to make the game longer.
I found myself making myself dizzy just to see if something had a scene, and when i found out that you could double click the button, and knock yourself out to get a bad end, I found myself going back to different areas to try to see all the scenes.

Overall, it is a well put together demo/beta, and I hope you are able to complete the game.
Ratings - but who really cares about ratings... and is only based on what is there, current spot in series, game type, etc.

Story (so far) - 8 - time and effort was placed in the story/interactions. (love the stuck in the wall scene)
Art - 7 - Overall great. some of the specials seem more like placeholders then final pieces. not bad... just... off... The change in quality between a "in game scene" and a "cut scene" is a nice touch.
Game mechanics - 7 - basic side scrolling action. Currently not much variety. Theme based environment is very mega-man(not a bad thing). Not choppy. No stuttering/lag overall. final "boss" does tax the .exe file though.
Audio - 8 - very impressive voice acting/music for a indi game.
Adult Scenes - 7 - 2 per enemy, and multiple game over scenes. Few enemy types, and a couple traps. Based on the size of the map, it seems like it could use more variety (not a lot, but a little more). The scenes are each different though, and some are very humorous. Maybe some more in-game cut-scenes.

Overall - 8 - Things still need a little polishing, and menus need completion, but worth trying, and is enjoyable as it currently is. Maybe more environment interactions like shooting something to reveal the power-ups maybe.

Please remove the mid air pause when getting to the hub/savepoint.

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
I played through your demo, and let me say this... I miss old 8 bit Metroid.
I have not played a decent side scroll game in a while. And there have been numerous adult ones coming out lately. With only a couple that are worth mention. And they all have a similar premise.

1. Start a Patreon
2. Make a game.
3. Put some sex into it.
4. Maybe half ass the music.
5. Profit as you never complete the game, or half ass an ending.
6. OR... Make as much off Patreon as you can, and finally abandon the project after stringing people along.

When I made the post earlier, this is exactly what I expected of your game, and is why... until your polite reply to my disrespectful comment, I did not even consider trying to try the demo. As such I decided to try to demo, and give my honest opinion. I am still jaded with a lot of developers, indi or professional, but I will not let that pervert this review.

1. The voice actors are not generated voices from a computer.
2. The sound is crisp and smooth
3. It is not just the same person pretending to be another, over and over.
4. The equalizing is not skewed, and all over. Or, it is not focused on one side or the other (treble/base)
5. I understand this is not a multi-million dollar company, but it seems like they actually tried, and cared.

I also did not expect the story. For just one level, there was honestly a lot of story being told. And the banter is great/funny.

I was expecting a 8bit gameboy game, but was surprised when it turned out to be more of a... I don't know... like a remastered 8bit game. It still has the nostalgia of 8bit, but is more polished... softer...

Being a young game, I did not expect the gameplay mechanics to be complete yet, and that was true. That is fine though.
I do think that a little more variety in the specials would be nice, but I can see that is coming (in your menus)
Being able to bind the key is great. (space will always be jump for me)
You are never overwhelmed with opponent, and they do not seem to just get harder and harder to make the game longer.
I found myself making myself dizzy just to see if something had a scene, and when i found out that you could double click the button, and knock yourself out to get a bad end, I found myself going back to different areas to try to see all the scenes.

Overall, it is a well put together demo/beta, and I hope you are able to complete the game.
Ratings - but who really cares about ratings... and is only based on what is there, current spot in series, game type, etc.

Story (so far) - 8 - time and effort was placed in the story/interactions. (love the stuck in the wall scene)
Art - 7 - Overall great. some of the specials seem more like placeholders then final pieces. not bad... just... off... The change in quality between a "in game scene" and a "cut scene" is a nice touch.
Game mechanics - 7 - basic side scrolling action. Currently not much variety. Theme based environment is very mega-man(not a bad thing). Not choppy. No stuttering/lag overall. final "boss" does tax the .exe file though.
Audio - 8 - very impressive voice acting/music for a indi game.
Adult Scenes - 7 - 2 per enemy, and multiple game over scenes. Few enemy types, and a couple traps. Based on the size of the map, it seems like it could use more variety (not a lot, but a little more). The scenes are each different though, and some are very humorous. Maybe some more in-game cut-scenes.

Overall - 8 - Things still need a little polishing, and menus need completion, but worth trying, and is enjoyable as it currently is. Maybe more environment interactions like shooting something to reveal the power-ups maybe.

(y)

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Glad to hear you tried it and enjoyed it so much! I'll reply to a few of the concerns or things you were wondering about;

We have a SFX guy, music guy, and a whole cast of voice actors, as well as an audio-equalizer guy and audio effects guy, all of them really skilled at their craft, so I'm glad you enjoyed the audio so much!

Quality audio has always been a really big thing for me, especially variety of audio. To that degree, every time a sex scene comes up, there's around 50 or so different moans/orgasm sounds that are in "pools" of about 10 each, and the game randomly picks from those pools every time a sex scene happens.

Additionally, special scenes, like the double fucking machine scene with Talia and Faye, or the Mainframe Boss sex scene, and a few other unique scenes, get their own pools of audio (the sex machine with the Mainframe Boss has over 120 unique moans!).

Finally, scenes where her mouth is closed get their own pools, and scenes with something in her mouth get their own pools, too.

We're trying to make the sex scenes comedic/lighthearted, while keeping the overall story somewhat dark with a bit of dark comedy/satire, so I'm glad you enjoyed that too.

Yeah, we're re-working the powerups entirely right now, both the menu to access them and the effects of the powerups themselves.

Every level has its own mechanics, and currently we've completed the base of all five levels in the game; feel free to get the other demos in this thread if you want to check them out (or if you want to support us on Patreon, that's always appreciated too and all the demos are there too, except for the Fire Level (1st level) as it was done on an old engine with an old programmer; we'll be revamping it soon.)

I found myself going back to different areas to try to see all the scenes.
In the full game there'll be achievements you can get, none of them grindy achievements, they'll be skill-based or discovery based. Once you've gotten a few achievements in a level, you'll be able to see all the sex scenes in a gallery, even if you never lose in the level. You'll also be able to see any cutscenes you've seen prior, databanks you've read, endings you've gotten, and so on in the gallery, too.

some of the specials seem more like placeholders then final pieces.
Yeah, in the current builds, you can try out the actual finalized special charge shots and such for the Fire, Ice, and Electric level powers. :D

Theme based environment is very mega-man(not a bad thing). Not choppy. No stuttering/lag overall. final "boss" does tax the .exe file though.
Thematically, the other levels (just in case you didn't see it in the OP or other places) are;
Fire/Volcano
Ice/Mountains
Electric/Factory
Earth/Forest (or swamp, depending on your perspective)
"The End"/??? (not sure how to describe this one, it breaks away from the others pretty significantly)

Maybe some more in-game cut-scenes.
If you get the chance, try going back through the demo and picking different choices during cutscenes, killing some cutscene guys you left alive, and so on; there's about 40 or so cutscenes in the demo, but there's around 100+ versions of those cutscenes as the game tracks what you do or don't do during cutscenes and outside of cutscenes.

Here's a document showing just a few of the changes to databank reactions and cutscenes both;

Maybe more environment interactions like shooting something to reveal the power-ups maybe.
Funny you mention this, because we actually did put this very mechanic in later demos; in the current build, powerups are in set boxes/areas on the map that you shoot to open them, but what powerup is inside is randomized per playthrough.

We also have plans to have a "breakable walls" mechanic in the Fire or Ice level (haven't decided yet).

This doesn't currently serve any purpose, so we might just remove that to make things flow better!

yzi37898

Jun 29, 2019
Yo, just found this game and thinking about backing the project but I guess I'm dumb. I loaded the latest version which is here (0.40) and there doesn't seem to be story at all? Is there a more playable version of this game or did I miss something in the file? Sorry, I'm new to this stuff.

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
Yo, just found this game and thinking about backing the project but I guess I'm dumb. I loaded the latest version which is here (0.40) and there doesn't seem to be story at all? Is there a more playable version of this game or did I miss something in the file? Sorry, I'm new to this stuff.
There are more versions, yes. Each level is developed separately, each one having their own piece of the story. During the development of the levels more and more gets added, until it's pretty much done. The most complete one is the latest Fire level, which you can also get from the OP. That one does have a bunch of story to it. There also are demos for the Ice, Electric, Earth, and End (the latest, 0.40) levels.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
There are more versions, yes. Each level is developed separately, each one having their own piece of the story. During the development of the levels more and more gets added, until it's pretty much done. The most complete one is the latest Fire level, which you can also get from the OP. That one does have a bunch of story to it. There also are demos for the Ice, Electric, Earth, and End (the latest, 0.40) levels.
Just a correction here; the most complete one is the Electric level, not the Fire level. :p

For the story version yeah, it's v027F in the OP. I'd link it here but I'm on mobile and my phone doesn't play nice with tabbing between pages and keeping post data.

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
Just a correction here; the most complete one is the Electric level, not the Fire level. :p
Has that changed? Well, I guess that depends on what you consider the most complete. I was just going by what's in the disclaimer in the OP, and what I already knew about the demos.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Has that changed? Well, I guess that depends on what you consider the most complete. I was just going by what's in the disclaimer in the OP, and what I already knew about the demos.
The fire level hasn't been the most complete version since 2016 or so :p It was outdated as soon as the Ice levels came out, and the polished demo with all the cutscenes/voice acting etc. was the Electric demo always.

The Fire demo only has two cutscenes, very minimal voice acting (less than 50 lines compared to the 4500 in the Electric demo), and;
  • no powerups
  • no utility abilities
  • little to no mechanics
  • no parallax
  • no lighting system
  • no dynamic music
    • (the music and SFX itself for that demo is free use music and SFX, not even original stuff like all the other levels)
  • no game over CGS
  • no gallery
  • really bad GUI/font for the text compared to the Electric demo
The Electric demo has all that stuff and more (all the cutscenes/databanks, the plot changes, etc.)

Superlul9000

Aug 21, 2017
I found the demo for this game on Newgrounds one day back development was at version 0.20. Honestly was in it at first for the hentai but after seeing all of the developer interaction and updates, as well as actually playing the game for once, I'm really inclined now to support the game on Patreon, even if it means using my main, PG13 alias to do it. I'm a game developer myself and seeing this game become as successful as it is makes me feel optimistic about the indie game industry.

Good job HentaiWriter and team. I'll be looking forward to seeing the game in its final state :)

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
this is the hottest platformer i ever played, can't believe my dicik is still hard, thank you talia.
We aim to please and we got a lot more coming (no pun intended) where that came from!

I found the demo for this game on Newgrounds one day back development was at version 0.20. Honestly was in it at first for the hentai but after seeing all of the developer interaction and updates, as well as actually playing the game for once, I'm really inclined now to support the game on Patreon, even if it means using my main, PG13 alias to do it. I'm a game developer myself and seeing this game become as successful as it is makes me feel optimistic about the indie game industry.

Good job HentaiWriter and team. I'll be looking forward to seeing the game in its final state :)
Getting posts like this really means a lot to us; I know saying something like that seems like a canned response, but it really does make us feel we're on the right track.

Even if you don't support us, we're just glad we had this kind of an effect on you, and for your own game, good luck with it!

Superlul9000

Aug 21, 2017
We aim to please and we got a lot more coming (no pun intended) where that came from!

Getting posts like this really means a lot to us; I know saying something like that seems like a canned response, but it really does make us feel we're on the right track.

Even if you don't support us, we're just glad we had this kind of an effect on you, and for your own game, good luck with it!
Well I just pledged $5/mo, so enjoy the extra $4.60 (?) a month for the team.

I'm not working on any game right now, but thanks anyway :)

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Well I just pledged $5/mo, so enjoy the extra $4.60 (?) a month for the team.

I'm not working on any game right now, but thanks anyway :)
Thanks a lot :D the newest demo is actually going to be out in less than 24 hours, so definitely check that out!
And uh, then for your next game, good luck :p

randombbl

Aug 30, 2017
"Oh, honey... this is the final level of the game. You really think we'd go easy on you?"

I love this dev team. I really do.
Also.. Am I the only one who is now super suspicious after reading this? "It's not like losing really sets you back or anything"

• Haha
3.80 star(s) 83 Votes