HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
aka v0.27P is an updated version of the Public Electric Demo!

It has a lot of the quality of life features from later demos and a lot of extra lore stuff in there that hasn't been present in any demo prior (with the collections menu), plus we updated the jukebox too on Gamejolt :D

Here's what we've added/changed;
  • Collections Menu added with lots of lore entries / re-readable Databanks
  • Small improvements for controls and general engine stuff
  • Zoom now available for sex scenes (press Up)
  • After most choices and some actions, "personality value" changes will pop up; these affect endings and other cutscenes in the full game.
  • Talia no longer reacts to Databanks, both because we felt it was hand-holding the player through the plot (in an insulting way) and her fixed responses could go against the player's "Values" choices
  • Some maps had their layouts altered
  • Almost every cutscene can now be initiated by the player themselves, instead of them automatically happening
  • Damage and healing numbers now appear on Talia and enemies
  • Health bars now appear on enemies
  • Talia's portrait on the GUI was changed along with a lot of small GUI changes
And if you want to RT it, there's a tweet up at :D

Last edited:

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
  • Talia no longer reacts to Databanks, both because we felt it was hand-holding the player through the plot (in an insulting way) and her fixed responses could go against the player's "Values" choices
I liked this feature, and protag felt kind of more alive than it really is. And it's not like it could affect my judging, maybe it's better to react in accordance with previous choices? But I don't really care what my avatar thinks either way. :giggle:

Reactions: mc625

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I liked this feature, and protag felt kind of more alive than it really is. And it's not like it could affect my judging, maybe it's better to react in accordance with previous choices? But I don't really care what my avatar thinks either way. :giggle:
So while I do agree with you that it gave her personality, this is actually something that was a detriment to us and what we had planned for the game in a way.

We do want Talia (and Faye and Vie and everyone else) to have a lot of personality, feel alive, and to have depth to their character.

However, given that the game has a lot of choices you can make, the values system changing effectively how Talia should feel about things, and those aforementioned 40-ish endings, we also wanted player choices to matter and to stick.

For example, if the player picks a lot of choices that heavily up their Pessimism value, we felt it would be odd if she were to read a databank and be positive and optimistic about it.

Granted, we could have done 7 variants for all the Databank reactions, but that would have been a nightmare; that would be nearly 840 reactions we would need to record, do flags for, and write the script for just for Databanks alone, and trying to untangle that mess plot-wise and path-wise would just be a huge task.

Besides even the above, as I noted, the reactions feel nice the first 5, or 10, or even 20-ish times, but after that, they start to be something that I noticed most players would just mash through, because they started to feel too "hand-holdy", as if we're telling the player that without Talia's explanation, they couldn't possibly grasp the story they were just told.

Fastforward to 4 levels later, and the player would likely be highly annoyed by the reactions, to the point of just straying away from the databanks so they don't have to mash through them anymore.

There's also a third problem which, even if the first two were fixed, was a major problem; the way the game's programmed, the databank reactions are cutscenes. Cutscenes can only play on the map they're played on, so for example, the game can't be told to "load cutscene #20" on a map that that cutscene isn't originally present on.

This creates a huge issue because of the ability to re-read Databanks, which we put in an earlier build and is in this current build as well, and which will carry on into the final game; if the player were to collect a databank but not read it until later, they wouldn't get the reaction scene, and this would be an even bigger problem not only for player quality of life issues, but also because Talia reacts to certain things within the databanks when she reacts to them, and thus we had flags for those, so you can imagine the tangled up mess that could cause if a player got a databank but didn't read it, and then they encountered a cutscene relevant to that.

(Cutscenes do still change when you read databanks, though.)

Gazael

Jun 6, 2017
Biting my teeth out on the boss of the newest demo. Dunno, the difficulty spike is just too much for me. I really liked everything else in the game, but personally i am tired of h-games that have a part so brutally difficult. The idea is nice, but the speed of the boss aswell that he can just instant kill during the real damage phase, while I can't do any real damage to him. Brand me as a whiner, but if i see a good game but I won't be able to finish it because of the final boss kills the whole thing for me. Sorry to say that.

Xidnet

Mar 18, 2019
Biting my teeth out on the boss of the newest demo. Dunno, the difficulty spike is just too much for me. I really liked everything else in the game, but personally i am tired of h-games that have a part so brutally difficult. The idea is nice, but the speed of the boss aswell that he can just instant kill during the real damage phase, while I can't do any real damage to him. Brand me as a whiner, but if i see a good game but I won't be able to finish it because of the final boss kills the whole thing for me. Sorry to say that.
It took me a while to figure it out but u need to use charged and ability shots

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
We actually already decided to change it a whole back so that it doesn't instantly kill you with the pillars, so that wont be an issue in the final game.

Additionally, powerups are a major part of this game; the final game's powerups will go a long way towards mitigating damage or healing or doing damage to enemies, as well as giving you a lot of utility.

For more advice on what to do though, see this video;

Not gonna lie those small update versions kinda hurt when I think how big and epic ff can be
The small updates are what allow us to make something of this scope for the full game; if we made all the demos stuck together, something of this scope simply couldnt be done by a team of 3 people in less than 10-15 years with all the content present in it due to all the reworks and such that would happen along the way with playtesting and adjusting things.

For a comparison, Sinisistar took 6 years with a single dev, if you've played that game, and that has objectively probably 1/30th the content this game does (not meant in a disparaging way, it's a great game, just speaking objectively).

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Hyyyyype! Will a Steam page go up beforehand/is there a mailing list for us non-patrons that also don't use social media? I'm just looking for an easy to get reminded about the game whenever it launches.
We're working on a Steam page, should be up sometime in March :)

For the mailing list, I'd be using the existing list of people who'd backed the game and hand-emailing them, so unfortunately there's no existing mailing list for something like that as most of them require you to pay out the nose to allow infinite members to join, and given how tight we are on money for the game's assets right now, that'd be something we couldn't afford.

Closer to launch, we might be able to do something like that, but for now, paying that extra chunk every month until release would definitely hurt.

where all the fragments at?
There's one right above P1M3, and one in P4M2, in v0.27P :)

Reactions: ohwhatnow
3.70 star(s) 84 Votes