Shuchetan

Aug 13, 2017
View attachment 404238
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hey people!

Created a town center environment for all needs involving shopping, dating etc.

It was a big one. Tweaking textures, searching for unique objects, creating some stuff. Almost every little piece of shit was handplaced. Like, 89%.

I'm not sure if my laptop would manage to run this scene without exploding. So it's good to have a good computer.
Keep in mind, that it wasn't made for quick shots from above from different angles. I have to keep it optimized. So maybe some tiny crap is out of place on some pictures.

I'll add background people and different vehicles for every closeup scene. For now they're just scattered around dirty just to have an idea what it will look like.
Seriously awesomely done. Details are amazing!!

• Love
Reactions: P_S_Y_C_H_O

kaken

Oct 12, 2017
This is just my opinion, but wouldn't it be better to focus on the slow focus on the story, do episodes that are closed by action frames. Instead of rendering the city, you can do it on a smaller scale, you would gather a considerable number of supporters and you could hire more employees and then make a larger venture.

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
This is just my opinion, but wouldn't it be better to focus on the slow focus on the story, do episodes that are closed by action frames. Instead of rendering the city, you can do it on a smaller scale, you would gather a considerable number of supporters and you could hire more employees and then make a larger venture.
As far as the workflow is concerned, that's not a good idea.
If you work on a project where you have to fill multiple rolls (graphic design, story design, etc.) you want to stay within each role as much as possible.
That's because it helps you get focused and keeps you familiar with your tools.

Every time you need to jump out of one tool to another (e.g. stop programming & writing in renpy and do some art stuff) is actually a big disruption where you need to concentrate on a different workflow and everything goes so much slower because you have to get back into the routine again. That's especially true for tools you haven't absolutely mastered and where you need to come up with problem solutions.
Think of it as countless rocks in your way that you keep stumbling over.
Your creative ideas are sending you from A to B, but you keep stumbling into obstacles that say: you can't do that now, do X first.

If I were to guess what the dev thought it'd probably be something along those lines:
I'll focus on the city, get all the assets gathered together, place them in a way that I've got a great looking asset that I can use in multiple ways in the future and where I won't have to worry things don't match up. I might have to do small, minor adjustments here and there for some scenes, but with this, the city's done and I can go back to other stuff.

Now if he decides that the first shots of the city when coming across it should be bird's eye shots or shots from up high? No problem. If he decides to have a high up shot from out of one of the buildings? No problem.

The other way, he might be able to progress faster at first, but then it's stumbling time. Because everything has to be specifically crafted for every instance and you can get into situations where assets and scenes don't match up, because they're not part of the same scene but entirely seperate scenes. That ends up causing congruency errors where building or vehicle positions don't match up, shot angles don't work, or you have to constantly check all the other scene parts you created to get an idea what should be in the newest shot based on all the previous stuff.
The characters are at the mall, looking out the window. To know what they see you need to go through all you have made and try to reassemble the right view from this particular angle.
Wouldn't it be great if, instead, you'd just have to position the camera on a finished asset, get the view, then frame it through a window before going back to writing?

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
As far as the workflow is concerned, that's not a good idea.
If you work on a project where you have to fill multiple rolls (graphic design, story design, etc.) you want to stay within each role as much as possible.
That's because it helps you get focused and keeps you familiar with your tools.

Every time you need to jump out of one tool to another (e.g. stop programming & writing in renpy and do some art stuff) is actually a big disruption where you need to concentrate on a different workflow and everything goes so much slower because you have to get back into the routine again. That's especially true for tools you haven't absolutely mastered and where you need to come up with problem solutions.
Think of it as countless rocks in your way that you keep stumbling over.
Your creative ideas are sending you from A to B, but you keep stumbling into obstacles that say: you can't do that now, do X first.

If I were to guess what the dev thought it'd probably be something along those lines:
I'll focus on the city, get all the assets gathered together, place them in a way that I've got a great looking asset that I can use in multiple ways in the future and where I won't have to worry things don't match up. I might have to do small, minor adjustments here and there for some scenes, but with this, the city's done and I can go back to other stuff.

Now if he decides that the first shots of the city when coming across it should be bird's eye shots or shots from up high? No problem. If he decides to have a high up shot from out of one of the buildings? No problem.

The other way, he might be able to progress faster at first, but then it's stumbling time. Because everything has to be specifically crafted for every instance and you can get into situations where assets and scenes don't match up, because they're not part of the same scene but entirely seperate scenes. That ends up causing congruency errors where building or vehicle positions don't match up, shot angles don't work, or you have to constantly check all the other scene parts you created to get an idea what should be in the newest shot based on all the previous stuff.
The characters are at the mall, looking out the window. To know what they see you need to go through all you have made and try to reassemble the right view from this particular angle.
Wouldn't it be great if, instead, you'd just have to position the camera on a finished asset, get the view, then frame it through a window before going back to writing?
Jesus, dude! Bullseye!(y)

Reactions: kuraiken

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
Love the lighting on the face. Gives a very realistic profile and makes her come to live. Can't wait to come across her. :D
If that's not a "I-promise-you-yummy-time" eye shadow, I don't know what is.

Reactions: Freezer14

Deleted member 62788

Jun 10, 2017
Just be careful not to create too many new characters before you give the original women come content. This is what leads a lot of devs to burn out.

Not just because it becomes too much to write and work on so many characters, but a serious mental overload on just constantly thinking about the sex stuff for this game. Dr Bones who made 'The Manor' was the most recent fella who fell into this trap and he's struggled ever since.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
RE: Sandbox. A long time ago (page 16)

So, I'd say sandbox is happening. Hopefully its good sandbox.

Some more recent things on this page
https://f95zone.to/threads/gates-motel-v0-3b-p_s_y_c_h_o.23302/page-62#post-1763479
Oh god no, if it goes sandbox I'll probably drop the game. Too many times games have started off pure VN with sandbox shoehorned in midway killing the flow of the story for a repetitive grind no one asked for. Imagine reading a book and a quarter way through a pages turn into word puzzles that need solving in order to continue the story. No thanks.

4.40 star(s) 92 Votes