DonkeyFace

Dec 24, 2017
Oh god no, if it goes sandbox I'll probably drop the game. Too many times games have started off pure VN with sandbox shoehorned in midway killing the flow of the story for a repetitive grind no one asked for. Imagine reading a book and a quarter way through a pages turn into word puzzles that need solving in order to continue the story. No thanks.
That is a great analogy. I feel the exact same way. Glad I heard about this before I started to support this project. There were 2 other games I was supporting and the devs. decided to turn them into sandbox click fests. It caused me deep regret that I wasted so much money on something I'll never play.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Like I said, it depends on what kind of sandbox is it. Grinding sandbox is bad, I dont think I have ever saw a grind-based sandbox game that wasn't bad. If its sandbox/free-roam like lets say DeLuca Family or DIK, then it'll be fine. Keep the linear story with sandbox in between to do repeatable scenes (not grinding), explore around, find collectibles etc.

DonkeyFace

Dec 24, 2017
Like I said, it depends on what kind of sandbox is it. Grinding sandbox is bad, I dont think I have ever saw a grind-based sandbox game that wasn't bad. If its sandbox/free-roam like lets say DeLuca Family or DIK, then it'll be fine. Keep the linear story with sandbox in between to do repeatable scenes (not grinding), explore around, find collectibles etc.
Some sandbox/free roam games are certainly more tolerable than others, but are still cumbersome, and stories seem to lose cohesion. It's still a bunch of senseless clicking, and I guess seeks to provide the player a sense of interactivity (at the cost of immersion.... for me anyway). I've quit every one I've tried, as it quickly became a borefest and a complete waste of time. It's a shame that most western games are of this sort, or eventually become this sort. (I'm running out of stuff to play). Is it the success of Milfy City that's driving developers toward this type of game design? Because I don't think the success of that project has anything to do with the style of game play whatsoever. Anyway, I'm just glad I stumbled upon this information before investing. I truly do wish P_S_Y_C_H_O the greatest of success though, gotta love a developer who is willing to explore some darker themes and kinks. Sadly though, I think I'm going to go ahead and jump ship now, as it will be more painful to walk away from later.

Freezer14

Dec 10, 2017
Some sandbox/free roam games are certainly more tolerable than others, but are still cumbersome, and stories seem to lose cohesion. It's still a bunch of senseless clicking, and I guess seeks to provide the player a sense of interactivity (at the cost of immersion.... for me anyway). I've quit every one I've tried, as it quickly became a borefest and a complete waste of time.
Pretty much sums it up for me, too. I've really enjoyed the game thus far, so I'll give it a chance when it reaches that sandbox point, but I am a bit hesitant for it. If I hadn't played it before now, I probably wouldn't bother, sadly. Like I said, it's earned my giving it a chance when it happens, but it's definitely not something I'm excited for. Another major issue of sandbox games is that many don't really have a set "ending" so you know that you've completed everything in that version. That leads to needing a walkthrough, playing everything over and over again until you're sure there's nothing else, or just simply giving up. I hope this won't be like that, as to be fair, not all sandbox style games are, but enough are in the majority to make me wary of the possibility. I'll wait and see, though.

Reactions: DonkeyFace

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
This.
People need to stop jumping the gun to the worst exemple of sandbox game everytime they hear the word.

Reactions: Shuchetan

TuffyTenToes

Aug 11, 2019
A sandbox aspect is not bad at all except when is the kind that requires, for example, for you to go to your sister's bedroom at 18:00 and spy on her every single day till you unlock the next action (also, the spy action takes away one hour). THAT is annoying, and I've seen it way too many times.

Now, a sandbox game like BADIK? perfection.

Reactions: Freezer14

Shuchetan

Aug 13, 2017
A sandbox aspect is not bad at all except when is the kind that requires, for example, for you to go to your sister's bedroom at 18:00 and spy on her every single day till you unlock the next action (also, the spy action takes away one hour). THAT is annoying, and I've seen it way too many times.

Now, a sandbox game like BADIK? perfection.
Naaah!!! I don't think sandbox style will match this game. It is such a unique style that I think the author needs to handhold the viewer into the debauchery. Moreover, a proper sandbox style game in this regard will require a lot of careful planning and plotting which I think will kill the spark of the game. However, I have yet to be not mezmerised by P_S_Y_C_H_O ! Great Job Dude! Bang the bejeezes out of every fucking character. ;)

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
I mentioned it half of year ago, so maybe it's time to do it again.

I hate grind, walkthroughs and those games with it. So aiming at some kind of 'freedom' that won't be so annoying. What is badik and can you describe what makes sandbox there a perfection? I might look into it. Maybe we think about the same thing. I don't play games now, so would be cool if you just describe it.

I want to make it that way so player decides who to fuck.
I want some 'checkpoints' aka stats, that will unlock scenes with girls. It includes doing something unique each time and, of course, earn money to buy something. Earning money may be unique, but also a routine, as irl.
I don't want to make it a click-through routine with the same text and images. I want at least some randomization if repetitive scenes will take place.
I want some notification if there is nothing new to see.
I hate hidden content, that pushes you to alt-tab to walkthrough to get there.
I hate to learn by heart that some fucking Amanda is in her office alone at 17:30 on Wednesdays, so I should go there with chocolate (not flowers, she hates flowers) to see a render with her bare plastic tits, if her love stat is more than 7, and anger is less than 3, and only if I've bought her a dress before.

Smth like that... But everything depends on coding ability, experience and feedback.

Someone mentioned running out of games they like to play - yeah, that's what usually happens to not-mainstream stuff. It eventually disappears if there's not enough support to make it worth their time. Smart guys don't even dare to start it.

Sheppard3rd

Jul 2, 2017

I hate grind, walkthroughs and those games with it. So aiming at some kind of 'freedom' that won't be so annoying. What is badik and can you describe what makes sandbox there a perfection? I might look into it. Maybe we think about the same thing. I don't play games now, so would be cool if you just describe it.

I want some 'checkpoints' aka stats, that will unlock scenes with girls. It includes doing something unique each time and, of course, earn money to buy something. Earning money may be unique, but also a routine, as irl.
I don't want to make it a click-through routine with the same text and images. I want at least some randomization if repetitive scenes will take place.
I hate to learn by heart that some fucking Amanda is in her office alone at 17:30 on Wednesdays, so I should go there with chocolate (not flowers, she hates flowers) to see a render with her bare plastic tits, if her love stat is more than 7, and anger is less than 3, and only if I've bought her a dress before.

Smth like that... But everything depends on coding ability, experience and feedback.

Someone mentioned running out of games they like to play - yeah, that's what usually happens to not-mainstream stuff. It eventually disappears if there's not enough support to make it worth their time. Smart guys don't even dare to start it.
This is the exacy way i think about games. I played a couple that where like yours a good start good renders good story. And then some smartass though make it a sandbox and then ruined the whole game.
I wait in anticipation on your take of a 'sandbox' and ofcours some family love.
Also i had a quick question does the girl at the storm drain get alot of content?

Reactions: Freezer14

sakuyas_mmaster

Feb 12, 2018
What is badik and can you describe what makes sandbox there a perfection?
Badik is "Being a DIK". I'm sure you know that. If not: it is a VN with free-roams sprinkled in there. In the free-roams you can play minigames, visit hookers and stuff like that. You don't have to do anything really, but if you don't chances are you'll miss some content in the VN part (as well as the content you ignored in the free-roam).

magus448

May 22, 2018

The game Water World has it so if something is new with a character it will show an icon where they usually are. This helps with not needing to go to every location seeing if something is different for each time interval. This icon was shown on the map.

Last edited:

TuffyTenToes

Aug 11, 2019

tenor.gif

ontach

Apr 8, 2018
The game Water World has it so if something is new with a character it will show an icon where they usually are. This helps with not needing to go to every location seeing if something is different for each time interval. This icon was shown on the map.
I just deleted Water World - even reading the walkthrough got me nowhere. So pardon me if your endorsement of it leaves me underwhelmed.

• Angry
Reactions: int13 and magus448

Shuchetan

Aug 13, 2017

GOOOO P_S_Y_C_H_O !!!! No other words needed I think!

4.40 star(s) 92 Votes