kansasdude

Sep 13, 2017
I've had to restart the update download 3 times so far...1st time was when it was at 4% and I left my PC on when I left for work around 2pm but when i got back a little after midnight it was still at 4%...2nd time was when it was at 51% than I went to bed (again leaving my PC on) and when I woke up it was still at 51%...hope there's not a 4th time (0.2-0.6 i never had to restart the update process)

Reactions: if95

Hlextor

May 6, 2017
I've had to restart the update download 3 times so far...1st time was when it was at 4% and I left my PC on when I left for work around 2pm but when i got back a little after midnight it was still at 4%...2nd time was when it was at 51% than I went to bed (again leaving my PC on) and when I woke up it was still at 51%...hope there's not a 4th time (0.2-0.6 i never had to restart the update process)
You are a $40 pledger, right? That is ridiculous. I see in Patreon some other user with the same download traffic. All $40 pledger. And DS gives a shit to all of you. What a mess. No word, no sorry, just nothing from him. By the way... my download of the game since 4pm till now 8%.

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
What's weird is I am not a $40 patron, so I shouldn't be getting the updates now, but they're downloading nonetheless. Why would the client be set to download the content if you're still locked out of accessing it until your tier is available? That's weird.

But anyway, since I've been watching the download today, I've also had to reset it a couple of times. It seems like being "busy" on the internet can stop the download; I noticed it stopped right when I started downloading an updated game here on F95 using Mega. I closed and restarted and it resumed the download.

If you want to monitor the download, just go here: C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/SandlustGames LTD/Glamour

upload_2018-10-6_14-0-35.png

I took this screenshot just now and I can monitor whether new data is coming in or not. When I've noticed it's stopped, I can restart.

Is this TOTALLY STUPID?? YES!!! But since for some reason I have access to v7 content well before I ought to, I'm not complaining too much :)

Reactions: KaiserST

Zeth

Apr 21, 2017
Wrote a small image downloader for Glamour.
Just click on the GlamourDownloaderConsole.exe to download all images to the location C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour\images\

The download can be closed anytime, and resumed.
However, don't run it at the same time as Glamour!

Update:
Removed the netcoreapp2.0 and added a version compiled with the standard .net framework
Update 2:
Updated the program to download the images parallel

Zeth

Apr 21, 2017
do you pledge or did you hack the game?
To view certain images
Open the URL with a browser.
There you see a JSON file of all available images.
json.png

Take for example "backgrounds/college-entrance"
Now open a new tab in your browser
the URL

replace [image-name] with the name of the image in the JSON file
in our example:
now you see the image.
Works for every image.

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
Just click on the GlamourDownloader.bat to download all images to the location C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour\images\

It is compiled with netcoreapp2.0 so i don't know how it behaves on other PCs.
Just write if there are any issues.
Thanks for this attempt! When I tried it, the window opened for a split-second and then closed. The directory showed I had downloaded 14kb of the next file needed. Tried to clean a few things out, but same result. Couldn't get it to maintain the download.

camelos

Jun 29, 2017
Dark Silver said you can now see what the male protagonist looks like in version 0.7. to do this, start a new game in version 0. 7. can anyone upload images of this male hero here?

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
To view certain images

View attachment 159268
the URL
in our example:

now you see the image.
Works for every image.
Wow, this lets you know how slow things are on their end. Took over a minute to download a single image!

Thanks for this! I'll admit I'm not too savvy when it comes to this stuff, but I love learning how to do it, or even just reading about how others do it.

Reactions: JasonJemodah

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
To view certain images

View attachment 159268
the URL
in our example:

now you see the image.
Works for every image.
Wow, that is incredibly inefficient. Grab a list of files, then download each file individually. Much better would be to have a list of archives, and download an archive with a bunch of things in them. But I guess it would be too hard for them to code a way to keep track of what the user had.

Reactions: JasonJemodah

Zeth

Apr 21, 2017
Thanks for this attempt! When I tried it, the window opened for a split-second and then closed. The directory showed I had downloaded 14kb of the next file needed. Tried to clean a few things out, but same result. Couldn't get it to maintain the download.
open GlamourDownloader.bat with a text editor
then append "pause" a line after "dotnet.exe data/GlamourDownloader.dll -glamour"

Code:
@echo off
echo Starting program!
dotnet.exe data/GlamourDownloader.dll -glamour
pause
then there should be an error message
post me this message per pm

NachoCheese

Dec 10, 2017
do you pledge or did you hack the game?
Neither. As Zeth mentions after your question and I mentioned a while ago in this thread, DS actually lists all image assets publicly on his website for Glamour to download.

Just click on the GlamourDownloaderConsole.exe to download all images to the location C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour\images\

LOL. I guess you didn't want to have to deal with installing Python? Or was I too slow at getting it out there?

Wow, that is incredibly inefficient. Grab a list of files, then download each file individually. Much better would be to have a list of archives, and download an archive with a bunch of things in them. But I guess it would be too hard for them to code a way to keep track of what the user had.
DS isn't even using HTTP pipelining or keep-alive to transfer data. That's something that should be addressed before they even consider switching to resource packs.

NachoCheese

Dec 10, 2017
Just got my updater working an hour or so ago and surprise: HTTP keep-alive over multiple worker threads makes for a much faster download experience. I'm still tweaking it, but in the mean time, as requested here's a mega.nz link to Glamour's current image resources:

Edit: Anyone stuck on downloading the game can download this archive instead and use it to replace files in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour\images

Zeth

Apr 21, 2017
LOL. I guess you didn't want to have to deal with installing Python? Or was I too slow at getting it out there?
Wrote it some time ago to view all images, because i don't like to play grinding games or games without content.
Just added to the program the feature to write the images to the LocalLow folder.

Python is installed ;)

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
It depends... is this the first time you've played? When you launch the exe file, be aware that 962mb of data (mostly games CGs) will be written to this location: C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/SandlustGames LTD/Glamour. Also be aware that this data will be written slowwwwwwly. If it's the first time you're updating to .6, it could take several hours.
I run the game, but it always stays on the LOADING screen, how to concert it?

NachoCheese

Dec 10, 2017
I run the game, but it always stays on the LOADING screen, how to concert it?
Download the archive I posted and use it over the glamour files as mentioned in the quoted post below. That will shorten the now multi-day update process down to a few minutes.

Edit: Anyone stuck on downloading the game can download this archive instead and use it to replace files in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Sandlust Games Ltd\Glamour\images
Python is installed ;)
Haha. Here's what's pending on my updater:
  1. A number of resource downloads are prematurely interrupted server-side, so I'm looking into the viability of using range requests to resume downloads instead of just starting them over again from the beginning.
  2. Sometimes transfers just hang without doing anything until the updater is manually restarted. If range requests end up working it would probably improve performance to shorten the transfer timeouts on the client so that it's more likely to give up and resume later on if a transfer stalls.
  3. While it's not strictly necessary, I'd like to prematurely trim worker threads if they're not needed.
  4. Cleaner communication between worker threads and a TUI/GUI thread. I was originally planning on writing this program to get better with Python and to learn Tkinter.
  5. Conversion from Python to Windows executable so that people won't have to manually install the prerequisite libraries and languages.
I'll be happy to do a quick comment pass and send you a copy of what I have right now, just be aware that it's still quite rough around the edges.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Download the archive I posted and use it over the glamour files as mentioned in the quoted post below. That will shorten the now multi-day update process down to a few minutes.

Haha. Here's what's pending on my updater:
  1. A number of resource downloads are prematurely interrupted server-side, so I'm looking into the viability of using range requests to resume downloads instead of just starting them over again from the beginning.
  2. Sometimes transfers just hang without doing anything until the updater is manually restarted. If range requests end up working it would probably improve performance to shorten the transfer timeouts on the client so that it's more likely to give up and resume later on if a transfer stalls.
  3. While it's not strictly necessary, I'd like to prematurely trim worker threads if they're not needed.
  4. Cleaner communication between worker threads and a TUI/GUI thread. I was originally planning on writing this program to get better with Python and to learn Tkinter.
  5. Conversion from Python to Windows executable so that people won't have to manually install the prerequisite libraries and languages.
I'll be happy to do a quick comment pass and send you a copy of what I have right now, just be aware that it's still quite rough around the edges.
Is he using TCP or UDP? It sounds like UDP without error checking, because TCP guarantees that you'll get a response, an error or a timeout.

Don't forget about Mac and Linux users! Windows .exe and hardcoded Windows paths won't work for us.

NachoCheese

Dec 10, 2017
Is he using TCP or UDP? It sounds like UDP without error checking, because TCP guarantees that you'll get a response, an error or a timeout.
DS is using standard HTTP on an nginx server that appears so overloaded that certain times of the day, timeout or closed connection after starting the response is the most common error mode. Based on the returned headers (Server: nginx, X-Powered-By: Express) it looks like it's passing resource requests all the way back into his backend instead of letting the front-end server handle them. The timeouts and truncated responses may be caused by periodically restarting the backend. I could test it in a lab but I'm trying to keep my sanity mostly intact for now.

Fortunately, I just tested range requests and they work fine. I will start implementing that in my updater soon.

Don't forget about Mac and Linux users! Windows .exe and hardcoded Windows paths won't work for us.
I had intended to write this as a companion program for the Glamour client (which as far as I'm aware is Windows only), but if there's interest, I'm more than happy to expand this to work under *nix operating systems as well.

bobbo69

Engaged Member
Donor
Jun 18, 2017
It won't update for some reason, I started it at around 2:00 this afternoon and at 7:00 pm it was only at 18%

2.60 star(s) 184 Votes