Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Tweet time.

Tweet said:
I wouldn't have assumed that's something you could drink. It looks more like a... sand waterfall?

Sticky tight rubbery noises

FqKpEOwWwAIgzZi.png
Do you hear it? That sound... No, not the rubbery squeaking. Footsteps. A stampede. The latex drone fetishists are coming.

I take it from the general theme of these last few images that Experiments won the poll? This kind of thing tends to be the work of mad scientists. Unless there's some sort of latex slime monster in the dungeon... But then again, the slimes might be the result of heretical experiments anyway. And if so, we might be seeing some slime girls soon. I think I mentioned this before, but I'm partial to the jelly kind rather than the goopy kind, though I expect we'll see more of the latter.

Oh no...

Dargondo

Mar 3, 2018
Hold up, one of those genre tags is AI CG?
Does that mean that it's only got autogenerated stuff?

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Not quite. There's a post where the dev explains their process, but I can't quite find it. (Turns out that searching the thread for "ai" finds all words that have the letters "ai" in them.) Basically, they use a 3D character program (they didn't specify which) to make the characters and poses, then run it through an AI editor and touch it up in GIMP. I think some of the backgrounds and splash screens (and probably some of the traps and less humanoid creatures) are made from scratch with AI, though.

Glorp

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah, while it does use AI, it's much more in line with how artists and developers should generally be using it - as a tool, not a pure creation process for someone who doesn't really know what they're doing. Basically, in this case it's not really something to be put off by.

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
I take it from the general theme of these last few images that Experiments won the poll?
Indeed

Oh, interesting. I didn't put the tag there myself, but then the tag didn't exist at the time that I started the thread. I suppose that my game is going to get unfortunately filtered away by a good chunk of people now...
And no it's not "only" generated stuff, although I do think it brings up the weird question of how much work needs to be done for art to be considered 'yours'. How many devs here make their own 3D models for Daz? Are the renders they create and put in their games not 'their' art if they don't?

idk, but I'm never going to attempt to deny AI being a part of my process (that I could technically do without, it would just lead to lower quality/less unique art). I will however argue against anyone who claims that I'm lazy or out to destroy art for doing so (although I know the post I'm quoting is not actually doing that).

Not quite. There's a post where the dev explains their process, but I can't quite find it. (Turns out that searching the thread for "ai" finds all words that have the letters "ai" in them.) Basically, they use a 3D character program (they didn't specify which) to make the characters and poses, then run it through an AI editor and touch it up in GIMP. I think some of the backgrounds and splash screens (and probably some of the traps and less humanoid creatures) are made from scratch with AI, though.
This is correct, and the post being referenced is here.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
How many devs here make their own 3D models for Daz? Are the renders they create and put in their games not 'their' art if they don't?
To be honest, I think a lot of the people on here don't even realize that most devs aren't creating their own models. I see a lot of comments acting as if everything is an original work, and acting surprised when they see a similar model used elsewhere, to the point of sometimes accusing them of stealing from the other dev. /shrug

Tweeties:

Tweet said:
Obviously, you head to the main computer room and fight the final battle against the AI who created the world.

(Edit: I threw together a visual "translation" of that code for people who don't feel like deciphering it, because I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time.)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Ooooooooooh! Potential! This could allow for certain threats (e.g. bosses) to be built around the idea of having certain threats in adjacent rooms, maybe doing stuff like knocking a knight into an aphrodisiac gas leak for one of their attacks.

Oh, here's an idea! It's probably not what the previous image was meant for, but thinking of it as a facility made up of its own rooms that you'll have to go inside, maybe something like that could be a sort of "event room" at the entrance to one of these setpieces. You step into the entrance and it's like, "A strange facility looms before you. Yadda yadda yadda," and then you deal with the actual threats in the subsequent rooms.

Hmm... This could also be a good way to make unique, exclusive treasures that are locked behind a particular challenge, assuming you can spawn a chest with specific contents. Maybe a slime-filled area with a scroll for a skill that makes use of slime somehow. Or a maid-themed area containing a certain maid-themed spell for the Inquisitor to cast back at camp...

Edit: Both of the above at once! The "stampede of maids" trap can be at the entrance to one of these sets of rooms, with the empty (or not-empty) maid quarters behind it. And in one of those rooms is a chest with a spare maid outfit...

Oh shit, that was the thing about the combat log I forgot to mention. Glad someone else brought it up. (Edit: Or was it? Now I'm not sure. It was *something* that was supposed to be there, but wasn't... Eh, if it wasn't this, I'll probably notice it again in the next update.)

But yeah, it's important to strike a balance between remembering that the dev knows what they're doing, but also that they know exactly what's supposed to be happening and can miss things that seem obvious to them.

Last edited:

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Ah shit, I had a post that I saved for later, but it didn't save. That's what I get for trying not to spam too much. I remember the first part was a bug report... When I load up a save and open up the research log, any animations showing the knights' status effects would pause, suggesting the game itself is paused. But when I view one of the events in the log, once it's over, the animations start back up again, suggesting that the game is now unpaused while the research log is open. Since this is a turn-based game, I don't see any immediate problems with this, but a bug's a bug and you never know how it could cause problems in the future.

On the subject of looking through the research log, is there any chance that the Drider's artwork will be updated/adjusted at some point? Going through the list, her incredibly washed-out artwork really stands out, at least compared to the other humanoid-ish monsters. I'm guessing she was one of the earliest designs.

Tweet time:

Tweet said:
I had a whole thing on this that I lost. :( I know one part of it involved the possibility of having a slow, powerful monster who ticked up to their next attack very slowly, making it more punishing to try to bypass them. Maybe even having them be a sort of "time bomb" monster. The other thought was whether it was possible to have a unique attack that only triggers when you try to leave a monster's room. In addition to having gameplay uses in situations like this, it's a potentially fun premise for events in general, having a monster catch the knight as she's trying to flee or deliver a parting shot from behind. Or insult them and inflict berserk. "Nobody... calls me... chicken!"

Of course, there's also the option to not have a guardian at all and simply have this "treasure room" consist of a bunch of empty trapped chests with only one of them having the real treasure. Kind of a game of reverse Russian Roulette where you gamble on how many times you're gonna get punched in the face before you get the treasure. (Or have a unique "trap" in this room where the empty chest gives the knight a rage stack, and if her rage meter gets full she goes berserk and just smashes the rest of the chests.)

That's the Dark Soul.

Hmm... I'm not a fan of skills that rely on knights being bunched up (and I think Lucette already has stuff like that anyway), but the main alternative I can think of probably doesn't have the necessary framework in the game, and probably wouldn't be worth making for one skill. There's no way to, like, "mark" a tile itself, right? I mean, you can now inflict statuses on enemies, but you can't inflict a status on the ground or something. Otherwise I'd say Leadership could leave some kind of buff behind on every tile Lucette steps on. ...Actually that still sounds dumb now that I think of it. In execution, it'd almost never be used outside of bunching up the knights anyway, unless you do the un-leaderly thing and run away from all the threats after stepping on them. (Although a similar "Trailblazer" skill that makes tiles no longer cost exhaustion if you're not Well-Rested could be neat.)

Last edited:

WellIGuess

Jan 23, 2019
Ah shit, I had a post that I saved for later, but it didn't save. That's what I get for trying not to spam too much. I remember the first part was a bug report... When I load up a save and open up the research log, any animations showing the knights' status effects would pause, suggesting the game itself is paused. But when I view one of the events in the log, once it's over, the animations start back up again, suggesting that the game is now unpaused while the research log is open. Since this is a turn-based game, I don't see any immediate problems with this, but a bug's a bug and you never know how it could cause problems in the future.

On the subject of looking through the research log, is there any chance that the Drider's artwork will be updated/adjusted at some point? Going through the list, her incredibly washed-out artwork really stands out, at least compared to the other humanoid-ish monsters. I'm guessing she was one of the earliest designs.

Tweet time:

I had a whole thing on this that I lost. :( I know one part of it involved the possibility of having a slow, powerful monster who ticked up to their next attack very slowly, making it more punishing to try to bypass them. Maybe even having them be a sort of "time bomb" monster. The other thought was whether it was possible to have a unique attack that only triggers when you try to leave a monster's room. In addition to having gameplay uses in situations like this, it's a potentially fun premise for events in general, having a monster catch the knight as she's trying to flee or deliver a parting shot from behind. Or insult them and inflict berserk. "Nobody... calls me... chicken!"

Of course, there's also the option to not have a guardian at all and simply have this "treasure room" consist of a bunch of empty trapped chests with only one of them having the real treasure. Kind of a game of reverse Russian Roulette where you gamble on how many times you're gonna get punched in the face before you get the treasure. (Or have a unique "trap" in this room where the empty chest gives the knight a rage stack, and if her rage meter gets full she goes berserk and just smashes the rest of the chests.)

That's the Dark Soul.

Hmm... I'm not a fan of skills that rely on knights being bunched up (and I think Lucette already has stuff like that anyway), but the main alternative I can think of probably doesn't have the necessary framework in the game, and probably wouldn't be worth making for one skill. There's no way to, like, "mark" a tile itself, right? I mean, you can now inflict statuses on enemies, but you can't inflict a status on the ground or something. Otherwise I'd say Leadership could leave some kind of buff behind on every tile Lucette steps on. ...Actually that still sounds dumb now that I think of it. In execution, it'd almost never be used outside of bunching up the knights anyway, unless you do the un-leaderly thing and run away from all the threats after stepping on them. (Although a similar "Trailblazer" skill that makes tiles no longer cost exhaustion if you're not Well-Rested could be neat.)
No, that's a Sphere of Annihilation for sure. :p

ghffhg

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm the only one that got these problems, but I can't download the game from all the sites f95 provided because it keeps getting "Interrupted: Virus detected". Even when I managed to download from different sites not from f95, I got this error and couldn't even open the game.
1678455949816.png

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
I'm not sure if I'm the only one that got these problems, but I can't download the game from all the sites f95 provided because it keeps getting "Interrupted: Virus detected". Even when I managed to download from different sites not from f95, I got this error and couldn't even open the game.
View attachment 2455748
Interesting... Have you tried version 9.1 ? And does your computer have the same issues when you play other games made with Godot? Strive for Power and its sequel are the only ones that I know off the top of my head.

MrGrumblier

Oct 31, 2017
Interesting... Have you tried version 9.1 ? And does your computer have the same issues when you play other games made with Godot? Strive for Power and its sequel are the only ones that I know off the top of my head.
I can verify that the file on Itchi.io also flags as a virus. I'm going to have to give this one a hard pass.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
I can verify that the file on Itchi.io also flags as a virus. I'm going to have to give this one a hard pass.
I'm 98% sure this game doesn't contain a virus and is worth trying. But finding the reason for this false positive may be even more important. Have you tried downloading/playing any other games since then? Including that other Godot game I linked? And what exactly is it that's flagging it as a virus?

ghffhg

Oct 29, 2017
It didn't download on itchi.io either. I downloaded strive: conquest and played it normally with no errors so far.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
It didn't download on itchi.io either. I downloaded strive: conquest and played it normally with no errors so far.
Hmm, so it's something unique to this game and not the engine... Well, that's the extent of what I can troubleshoot, but the dev checks in here fairly often and might have some more insight. I wish I had a link to an older build of the game so we could find out if it's something recently added or has been there from the start.

On an unrelated note, here's the three latest Tweets. (I post these every couple of days, in case you're wondering why I abruptly changed topics):

Tweet said:
And pass up the chance to meet a sexy, possibly monster girl librarian? No way. Besides, does anyone in this generation even know how the Dewey Decimal System works? (I don't mean that in a "ThIs GeNeRaTiOn Is DuMb AnD lAzY" way.)

Entrance to a boss room? Or cursed armor that will descend onto the knights and possess them? ...Eh, if it was the latter, it would probably be more revealing. (Totally a thing you should do, though. Even if it's just a monster that you fight "from the inside".)

Hmm... AI weirdness, or suspiciously warped pattern on the floor? Oh shit! It's a

Last edited:

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Hmm, so it's something unique to this game and not the engine... Well, that's the extent of what I can troubleshoot, but the dev checks in here fairly often and might have some more insight. I wish I had a link to an older build of the game so we could find out if it's something recently added or has been there from the start.
I don't have anything particular to say? I don't really know what might be happening between the couple of people here, their security settings, and godot. I do still have some of the old versions on my mega and can link to them, though it doesn't really help with current version issues.

Hmm... AI weirdness, or suspiciously warped pattern on the floor? Oh shit! It's a
I put the pattern there, but there's no big meaning behind how it looks.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
So I just had a "Wait... Duh" moment. All this time I've been crossing my fingers hoping that we'd have the chance to "redeem" the Fallen Knights, as if it's something that could happen but may be beyond the planned scope of the game, with no reason to think otherwise. And while it's still not a guarantee, it suddenly occurred to me... we're a motherfucking Inquisitor. We're not even Spanish! Why shouldn't we expect to conduct an inquisition on captured heretics? I mean, it would be one thing if there weren't any Fallen Knights who are just begging for the mind-controlling protagonist to show them the light, but when the game goes out of its way to put an Inquisitor next to some potential inquisitees... I suppose the real thing I should be crossing my fingers over is that we have the option to be nice about it. (And that I'm not jumping to too many conclusions.)

Twit time:

Twit said:
Since you didn't say "don't drink", I'm going to assume it's entirely safe to drink the mystery bottles on the shelf added to the game in the mad scientist update.

More Witch! Gotta love how you can't even be sure if this is a joke made for the twit, or if she just straight up breaks the fourth wall in the game.

The strongest around

FrNxba7XsAI2N4a.png
NRFB: "I'll just take a screenshot of the game to save time. Nobody will care that it looks slightly different than the other Twits."

Me: "Clearly, the dev is deliberately trying to tease that background that showed up in the last two images. What could it mean!?"

...Wait, is that just the same lab from her introductory scene? There's still no way to rewatch story scenes, so I haven't seen her lab in ages. That should probably be added soon, assuming it's not already in the next update due to being a story(ish) update.

TN389

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah, this game has a virus embedded in it. It's registering as Aicat.A once unpacked and Casdet.rfn while packed. I don't think the warnings are false alarms.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Yeah, this game has a virus embedded in it. It's registering as Aicat.A once unpacked and Casdet.rfn while packed. I don't think the warnings are false alarms.
Can confirm, virus.
I'm thinking it's either false positives or you guys caught a virus from something else that hopped into the game. Nothing I have is flagging anything, and (and none for the zipped file), which isn't even the same one you mentioned.

What antivirus are you using that's flagging this?

frozenender

Nov 8, 2022
I downloaded it on GoFile & Itch, and it gave a malware alert, but I went back and downloaded it on Mega and didn't get a warning.

4.50 star(s) 24 Votes