bukari

Jul 1, 2017
Any general tips of how to play this game and what happens when your party gets wiped? I'm currently on a save where I have a lot of outstanding curses because I'm trying to 'win' by keeping corruption low.

Also, haven't caught any lewd scenes yet besides scrying people in their rooms.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Any general tips of how to play this game and what happens when your party gets wiped? I'm currently on a save where I have a lot of outstanding curses because I'm trying to 'win' by keeping corruption low.

Also, haven't caught any lewd scenes yet besides scrying people in their rooms.
If any of your knights reaches 100 corruption you get a game over screen that pretty much just says "Oops, you died, but you unlocked New Game+." Check the knights' character pages in your research notes for hints on how to get lewd and not-lewd scenes with them at camp. The game is relatively short right now and designed to be played over multiple runs with New Game+, so feel free to experiment and see what works for you and what doesn't.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
So would you say the key to game 1 should actually be to spam research?
That's what I would do, but of course the most important rule is to not do things in a way that sucks the fun out of it for you. If you wanna be efficient with research, though, I'd recommend making sure you prioritize the *first* research step of curses, then monsters and traps, and then maybe skills whose scrolls you don't have memorized. (And always make sure to memorize your scrolls.) This will cause them to carry over into your next run, so if the research on them is unfinished you can just pick up where you left off.

Privitarium

Oct 25, 2017
So would you say the key to game 1 should actually be to spam research?
And memorise every scroll you can, because personally I had a case where one skill I wanted to memorise didn't show up until what felt like a dozen runs after my first. But really, it's not that important if you end up playing that many runs, you'll do everything you want to do at some point.
Edit: for research, you can always research the first step of everything just to keep them logged (so you don't have to rediscover them) and finish the research at a later point. Because you can also retain memorised scrolls, researching memorised skills isn't urgent at all.

bukari

Jul 1, 2017
Does the research actually make you stronger against those things? Or just that you as a player would know how to handle them better?

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Does the research actually make you stronger against those things? Or just that you as a player would know how to handle them better?
It allows you to actually view their current health instead of seeing everything as "???", and there are certain passive buffs that give you bonuses against researched threats. (Of course, there's also one that makes unresearched threats visible, which becomes useless once you've researched everything.)

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
What is favorability and where you can you fin it?
It's how much each girl likes you, and there's no way to actually view it. It goes up when you clear floors, when you choose to "join what the knight is doing" at camp, and when you invite them to your tent and talk about a subject they like. You can also use the Favor Mantra when they're hypnotized to increase it. Right now, the only things that require favor are a few scenes with very low requirements, so you don't have to worry too much about it.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Tweet said:
Interesting... Is this the first curse to have its own unique status effect associated with it? And my first guess would be that an eye icon is something mind control-related, but that may just be my own bias.

Isn't this what the maids are for? Oh... I suppose we're responsible for a shortage of them. In any case, we should make sure Raine doesn't try to kick that sink and inexplicably summon a succubus like in Nethack.

Update Alpha 8.3: Tutorial Research Notes!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

(The links on the first page are listed as up to date even though they still link to 0.8.2. That'll probably be fixed within the next few minutes, but anybody who goes there to grab the latest version should double check that it says 0.8.3. Otherwise, grab it from itch.io.)

Last edited:

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
(The links on the first page are listed as up to date even though they still link to 0.8.2. That'll probably be fixed within the next few minutes, but anybody who goes there to grab the latest version should double check that it says 0.8.3. Otherwise, grab it from itch.io.)
All of the links EXCEPT the mega link for windows were right (I guess I forgot to copy that one in or something)

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Hmm, still no fix for the hunting call bug. That was kind of the one I was sitting on for this update, but I guess I'll have to do the whole nuke setup again once it's actually fixed.

Retain Spell gives me the option to retain Charged and Quintessence even though I can take them as separate options (and for MUCH cheaper)... Time to see what happens when I start the game with Charged x3! ...Eh, nothing interesting (right away), just wasted the points and only got one Charged. Still probably worth giving an alert when the player would be wasting points getting the same spell multiple times. Come to think of it, can the random starting spell sometimes land on an existing one and be wasted as well?

Hold up, is this the legendary jelly donut spell that was supposedly added several updates ago? I just realized I never saw it before now, even in the Witch's shop. Is it just extremely rare, bad RNG, or possibly a bug making it only show up as a starting spell? (Looking at the effect, it might just be crazy rare because of how good it sounds.)

No lore yet. :(

Haven't combed through the whole info thing for typos, but found one about "Ever compulsion that an ally has a hidden counter of points". (Looks like both a typo and a grammar issue there.)

New Raine scene: (y) Edit: (y)(y) Edit 2: Missed a few more thumbs. (y)(y)(y)

Needing to do NG+ and switch to female to see alternate version: (n) (Edit: Okay, this is doubly important since I just realized that I don't remember the exact color values I chose for my character's portrait, and I'm OCD about setting things back exactly the way they previously were.)

On that note, I noticed an issue with rewatching scenes in the research log. Whatever choice you chose the first time you saw a scene in a run is "locked in" if you rewatch it - and this includes if you watched it from the log, then had it occur naturally. I skipped over Lucette's "Entrance Curiosity" scene, then when she visited me in my tent, I could only choose the bottom option.

...Shield Maid intro is still broken, at least when I read it from the research log. But maybe it's because I haven't encountered her again since it was fixed? ...Nope, still broken.

...................................Accepting a curse at the Eschahn shrine still has it be unknown. Is it possible you actually forgot to push some of the fixes to the current version? Hunting Call wasn't mentioned in the changelog, but these last two were.

When a scroll pops out of a chest and the icon hovers over a dark room, the scroll gets dark.

So is there a reason the Witch never shows up on floor 9? I've found it to be quite troublesome when I need her help experimenting with something near the end of a run. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure I've asked this but forgot the answer, but is there anything currently implemented that's determined by how much corruption you've "donated" to the Witch?

And that's the end of the first run in this update. Though before straining myself looking for it in future runs, I should ask, is that green eye curse from the recent Tweet in the current version? And is there anything I should keep in mind when trying to get it?

Last edited:

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Is it possible you actually forgot to push some of the fixes to the current version?
Yes, and it's making me mad so I'm uploading a fixed version just for those three things that I KNOW that I DID fix but didn't get in (shield maid intro, known curses at shrines, skill scrolls darkened by lighting effects).
Edit: If you're reading this, the above already happened. If you downloaded within the first 8 hours that the update was up, you can redownload for those fixes.

So is there a reason the Witch never shows up on floor 9? I've found it to be quite troublesome when I need her help experimenting with something near the end of a run. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure I've asked this but forgot the answer, but is there anything currently implemented that's determined by how much corruption you've "donated" to the Witch?
I believe that she just isn't flagged to show up on that floor (there isn't a strong reason for that, it's just a flag that can be set in the floor data that is false on floor 9).
Also there are a few spells that the Witch only sells if you've given her enough stuff, but the requirements are fairly low so it's probable you've already gotten them.

And that's the end of the first run in this update. Though before straining myself looking for it in future runs, I should ask, is that green eye curse from the recent Tweet in the current version? And is there anything I should keep in mind when trying to get it?
Should be two new curses in this version actually. I don't know how you normally play so I'm not entirely sure if either of them will be likely to come up. They can both show up in shrines though so it shouldn't be a problem even if you don't end up hitting their qualifications.

Last edited:

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Should be two new curses in this version actually. I don't know how you normally play so I'm not entirely sure if either of them will be likely to come up. They can both show up in shrines though so it shouldn't be a problem even if you don't end up hitting their qualifications.
I did get Ritualistic, though I'm not sure if that's actually new or something I never got to from a previous update. But I'm mostly curious about the eye one in particular, and the possibility that it's relevant to my interests. Didn't want to go chasing it if it's not in the game, though.

anvimur

Apr 11, 2018
Might try tallying everything I come across next run to see if I'm getting pranked by RNG or something.
Potentially irrelevant now that the build has been updated, but I did go through and manually tally all of my encounters for a run.

tldr: I eat shoe, kind of. Fewer dart traps or more dart trap scenes, pls, they are boring and everywhere.

Also, maybe their spawn floors could be listed as part of their research so that people who want to hunt down specific scenes have an easier time.
piggybacking off of this idea, particularly if there are enemies constrained to certain floor ranges (and the game has enough floors to justify it instead of just doing a new run) could we get an option to repeat/select which floor we visit? I'm sure the girls can be convinced that there are still scenes we haven't found evil that needs to be eradicated on the floors we've already been to. Would make it easier for people with particular tastes and/or have already seen all the available plot development to reliably find all their favorite vices. Plus, then I can stall for long enough to actually research most of the new things I find in a run (yes I know that's why NG+ is a thing, my brain still hates missing things and having to find them again)

Privitarium

Oct 25, 2017
Raine and Lucette are more even in staying power now, and the decreased Exhaustion buildup on Lucette has enabled her to be more combat effective without needing nearly as many skillpoints as before.

New Spellsword and scry cooldown allows me to scry things other than Lucette more often, though now I have a problem where Charge stacks never run out and build too easily if I'm careless (Shocking Orb trap of any level can nuke me). This is fine, it makes for another layer of dungeon management, but would increasing Spellsword's consumption to 1 Charge stack each attack (at all levels) be better? At this rate, Conduit and Charged spell alone can get me upwards of 12 stacks and I can forgo all other skills that build Charge.

Enkindle spell is awkward to use, mostly whenever any character doesn't have a Fury Bonus skill. The Berserk status does have its uses, and I'm glad for a spell that allows one to have more control over what skill triggers their Fury Bonus. As it is, however, I find myself needing to avoid scrying my knights a lot. Which brings me to my next thought...

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I've found that scry-boosting knights feels stronger and more reliable than scrying unexplored rooms. I can't scry enough rooms fast enough to plot an efficient path so as to assign knights to specific obstacles while racing the Corruption Waves. The few times I do scry unexplored rooms is when I have the Stairs or Witch Den revealed and want to figure out how to get a knight there quickly.

The new spells which boost Thorns exacerbated this for me. It felt good to finally prevent Thorns expending on Resting but I was also lucky enough to combine it with the spell that enables scry to heal 5 Exhaustion and Injury from a knight with Thorns, and my sustainability shot through the roof until generally only Lust could send my knights back for resting.

Have found that things which mitigate Lust (particularly from traps) or Masturbating are pretty scarce in comparison to Exhaustion, Injury, and their related status effects. While it rarely comes up as a problem, there's been a couple times where a Nude Painting absolutely destroys all 3 of my knights from near fresh because Raine triggers it and then Elli and Lucette go to help and get hit by Trance and all of them were stuck Masturbating. I guess in a way, it means those niche skills and spells find their use.

Haven't been able to trigger Lucette's event where she comes find you in the Evening to talk to you about avoiding threats in the dungeon. Have tried 1) leaving floor entirely explored but all traps and obstacles undefeated, 2) beelining to the stairs and not fully exploring, and 3) the above but clearing 2 floors before returning to camp. In camp, I tried passing time and prepping spells, but not researching because I don't have anything left to research while I'm trying to trigger this event.

Not sure how, but my total Knowledge points is not a multiple of 5. It is 2818. Would I be right in assuming it should be a multiple of 5 or 10?

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Enkindle spell is awkward to use, mostly whenever any character doesn't have a Fury Bonus skill. The Berserk status does have its uses, and I'm glad for a spell that allows one to have more control over what skill triggers their Fury Bonus. As it is, however, I find myself needing to avoid scrying my knights a lot. Which brings me to my next thought...
Recipe for instant fun:

Enkindle
Exhibitionism (Embraced)
Seeing Red
Quality (which I keep misreading as Duality because of the font, and because it's still a fitting name)
Scry at the safe room
Let stand for five seconds

Haven't been able to trigger Lucette's event where she comes find you in the Evening to talk to you about avoiding threats in the dungeon. Have tried 1) leaving floor entirely explored but all traps and obstacles undefeated, 2) beelining to the stairs and not fully exploring, and 3) the above but clearing 2 floors before returning to camp. In camp, I tried passing time and prepping spells, but not researching because I don't have anything left to research while I'm trying to trigger this event.
The dev mentioned the exact conditions for it in an earlier post. It requires *at least* two floors (a total of 1.5 floors worth of uncleared threats, apparently), and triggers with a 75% chance based on what Lucette's doing at the time, with one of those options being "invited to the Inquisitor's room", so try just calling her in and letting her go in the first two time slots. That's how I triggered it. If you have bad RNG luck, you can close the game or return to the title screen and continue from the beginning of that camp day.

Not sure how, but my total Knowledge points is not a multiple of 5. It is 2818. Would I be right in assuming it should be a multiple of 5 or 10?
I thought we fixed the 8/0 font issue? ...No, wait, you're right. I have 2 KP unspent. Weird.

So I had a few ideas for some new stuff, one of which is a whole new mechanic and therefore probably not gonna happen, but I wanted to share regardless.

While thinking of a potential solution to the male/female scenes issue, I had an idea that ultimately doesn't remove the need for a male/female option in the research notes (particularly if you want to see the other gender's scene without engaging in gender-bender content), but would be a possible implementation for completely optional "futa" content. At least in the one relevant scene currently in the game, there's honestly no reason the male character has to use his penis, so why not make it an option on how to progress? (This is not future-proof for scenes that would involve a knight eating the inquisitor out or sucking on her nipples, though.) And for the female inquisitor, the option normally won't appear and will default to hands, unless they chose a new starting spell in NG+ called "Masculine Aspect". This is an entirely free spell that cannot appear at all if you didn't choose it at the start of the run that simply gives the female inquisitor the ability to magically grow a penis at will, enabling dick-related options. Of course, just as I wouldn't want my malequisitor to use a gender-bender spell to see femquisitor scenes, I'm sure there are people who play femquisitor that would want to see malequisitor scenes without being futa, so it would still be best to have a gender option in the research log.

New vaguely-defined curse idea: Lapcat (better name pending). A pet play themed curse whose lowest level maybe gives them a compulsion to rub against a knight in the same room or something (not sure how this would be implemented), but at level 1 (embraced) or higher it causes her to prevent any fellow knights in the safe room from leaving while she's resting because she fell asleep in their lap, only allowing them to rest until she's done.

An alternate implication of the same concept as an enemy (or perhaps a trap) would be a cat girl (or maybe just a regular cat) who jumps onto the knight's lap and falls asleep. Rather than fighting the old fashioned way (although the combat log will still call it attacking), the knight refuses to fight or stand up and force the cat off, and will instead pet the cat until it leaves. Of course, there is a chance that the cat will arbitrarily decide it doesn't like being pet in that exact way, and will scratch the knight.

And that led me to think of a way the two might co-exist, which could be through a new type of persistent status effect that's halfways between an ailment and a curse: Afflictions. These would be listed alongside curses but aren't obtained the same way, instead resulting from rare or specific encounters with threats (e.g. being bitten by a bat girl), and are easier to remove. Removing them doesn't cost you a skill point and can be done by praying to Syra at camp rather than requiring an Eschahn Shrine, although you do still need to reject (or embrace) them like regular curses first. While they can still affect the knight's mental state, they would generally be physical by nature (or maybe not, since it would be fun for some trance-inducing monsters to embed a mental Affliction into a knight's psyche), hence the ease of dispelling them through Syra's power instead of Eschahn's. Certain "phsyical" curses currently in the game could be switched to Afflictions as well, such as Pheromones and Easily Stimulated. Perhaps the thing that will make Afflictions special compared to Curses is that they're not strictly negative. If you're afflicted with Werecat (Ly-cat-thropy?), the compulsion to snuggle with fellow knights could give them the "Happy" buff (or perhaps they receive the buff at camp because the afflicted turns into a catgirl every night and snuggles with them), and if you contract Vampirism from the Bat Girl they'll have a compulsion to drink a nearby knight's blood to recover health if they're too injured.

Last edited:

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Retain Spell gives me the option to retain Charged and Quintessence even though I can take them as separate options (and for MUCH cheaper)... Time to see what happens when I start the game with Charged x3! ...Eh, nothing interesting (right away), just wasted the points and only got one Charged. Still probably worth giving an alert when the player would be wasting points getting the same spell multiple times. Come to think of it, can the random starting spell sometimes land on an existing one and be wasted as well?
Realized I should comment on this and the following thing even though I didn't before. The order of spells being added to your list in ng+ is Retained Spells -> individually picked bonus spells (charged, quintessence, etc) -> starting spells, and the game always checks that you don't already have a spell before adding it to your list, so ng+ bonuses will never be rolled as starting spells, nor will it rip you off. If you pick to retain a spell you can get for much cheaper though... I mean that's kind of your fault and your problem.

Hold up, is this the legendary jelly donut spell that was supposedly added several updates ago? I just realized I never saw it before now, even in the Witch's shop. Is it just extremely rare, bad RNG, or possibly a bug making it only show up as a starting spell? (Looking at the effect, it might just be crazy rare because of how good it sounds.)
I made the icon but hadn't added it until this update. Spells currently have no concept of rarity. All spells are equally likely to be rolled as a shop option assuming you qualify for their requirements.

tldr: I eat shoe, kind of. Fewer dart traps or more dart trap scenes, pls, they are boring and everywhere.
I'm actually still somewhat okay with dart traps being common just because not every room has to be super interesting and they are boring but effective negative stat gains (since they're relatively high accuracy and do decent damage), but it's a thing that will also naturally get better as more threats are added anyway.

piggybacking off of this idea, particularly if there are enemies constrained to certain floor ranges (and the game has enough floors to justify it instead of just doing a new run) could we get an option to repeat/select which floor we visit? I'm sure the girls can be convinced that there are still scenes we haven't found evil that needs to be eradicated on the floors we've already been to.
I'm going to say no at the moment just because things currently aren't constrained to floor ranges (aside from some of them just being "greater than floor x" I suppose), and I'd rather encourage replayability and doing more runs than grinding a particular floor. I'm also mostly okay with people missing things during a particular run for the same reason, which is why I'm largely ignoring the people who say I should get rid of dark rooms. Fine, it might feel bad if you're really worried about collecting all the scenes, but like... You can just try again on another run and it'll be fiiiiiine.

It's true that it may be something to revisit later on though, especially once the number of floors in a run is increased (which it will be eventually).

New Spellsword and scry cooldown allows me to scry things other than Lucette more often, though now I have a problem where Charge stacks never run out and build too easily if I'm careless (Shocking Orb trap of any level can nuke me). This is fine, it makes for another layer of dungeon management, but would increasing Spellsword's consumption to 1 Charge stack each attack (at all levels) be better? At this rate, Conduit and Charged spell alone can get me upwards of 12 stacks and I can forgo all other skills that build Charge.
Think I would rather introduce more things that consume charge (possibly both good and bad). Although I haven't had a lot of time to play around with new spellsword myself (it was a fairly late balance change in the update) so maybe it is too good? Unsure.

Intended. Enkindle is a bit of a risky way to do Fury stuff. The idea is that it allows you to more easily generate stacks but if you mismanage the knight's fury and they get more than you expected from some other effect then they'll hit berserk instead of some other rage bonus that you would prefer. Even then, berserk can still be useful just because of the stat boost it gives.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I've found that scry-boosting knights feels stronger and more reliable than scrying unexplored rooms. I can't scry enough rooms fast enough to plot an efficient path so as to assign knights to specific obstacles while racing the Corruption Waves. The few times I do scry unexplored rooms is when I have the Stairs or Witch Den revealed and want to figure out how to get a knight there quickly.
I think now with the change back to turn based scry cooldown it might be fine for me to start sliding more scry cooldown increase drawbacks on spells? Or just make it so that scrying rooms with no knights has a lower cooldown across the board. Have to think about it.

The new spells which boost Thorns exacerbated this for me. It felt good to finally prevent Thorns expending on Resting but I was also lucky enough to combine it with the spell that enables scry to heal 5 Exhaustion and Injury from a knight with Thorns, and my sustainability shot through the roof until generally only Lust could send my knights back for resting.
Photosynthesis miiiiight be kinda insane actually, yeah. Originally when I added it I wasn't also going to do spell retaining in the update, which probably doesn't help (spell retaining is a very big spell usability buff). Will probably nerf the spell.

The KP values of events are kind of arbitrary but are not always multiples of 5.

And that led me to think of a way the two might co-exist, which could be through a new type of persistent status effect that's halfways between an ailment and a curse: Afflictions. These would be listed alongside curses but aren't obtained the same way, instead resulting from rare or specific encounters with threats (e.g. being bitten by a bat girl), and are easier to remove.
I have thought about similar sorts of things to this, but I haven't decided if/how I would want to do it specifically.

druiddeathy

Jul 4, 2021
Sorry for the really stupid question but;
How exactly do you progress? I entered the first dungeon during the tutorial, clicked everything, read everything and then tried to progress.
When I select Set destination on Raine I get the 4 arrows circling the room but the advance turn is still greyed out there is also a redish line (I presume her targetted location) going way off to the top left that i cannot change. I cannot interact with the other characters either. I tried setting skills and nothing would allow it. Am I missing something? Sorry I know its probably just me being dumb. Thanks in advance though I am really looking forward to playing it.

Edit; I also cannot open stat page.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
there is also a redish line (I presume her targetted location) going way off to the top left that i cannot change.
That... doesn't sound right at all. Is that where your mouse is? When you click "set destination" there should be a line pointing to where your cursor is, and when you click on your destination that line will disappear. It's visible again if you have a knight selected, I think, but it should never point to a nonexistent tile. If it's going way off to the top left, but there's no visible tiles there, that should only mean that it's trying to follow your cursor.

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 25 Votes