druiddeathy

Jul 4, 2021
That... doesn't sound right at all. Is that where your mouse is? You should be clicking "set destination", then there will be a line pointing to where your cursor is, and when you click on your destination that line will disappear. It's visible again if you have a knight selected, I think, but it should never point to a nonexistent tile. If it's going way off to the top left, but there's no visible tiles there, that should only mean that it's trying to follow your cursor.
Yeah its going up there and it remains up there when destination is set also. *and my cursor is in middle of screen I should add sorry forgot that bit

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Yeah its going up there and it remains up there when destination is set also. *and my cursor is in middle of screen I should add sorry forgot that bit
Uh, yeah, that ain't normal. You said you're doing the tutorial, right? I haven't done that in a while, so it's possible this or a recent version has added a bug there... I'll give it a look when I'm done my current run.

druiddeathy

Jul 4, 2021
Uh, yeah, that ain't normal. You said you're doing the tutorial, right? I haven't done that in a while, so it's possible this or a recent version has added a bug there... I'll give it a look when I'm done my current run.
Thanks dude! appreciate it a lot. Ill check in again tomorrow when I wake up!

Privitarium

Oct 25, 2017
It requires *at least* two floors (a total of 1.5 floors worth of uncleared threats, apparently), and triggers with a 75% chance based on what Lucette's doing at the time, with one of those options being "invited to the Inquisitor's room
Thanks, will try.

Think I would rather introduce more things that consume charge
That would be good too. Another option, if you wanted to keep overcharging as a downside, could be skills which benefit from or scale with higher charge (similar to Mind Over Matter)

Even then, berserk can still be useful just because of the stat boost it gives.
So I understood the intended drawback and benefits (figured it didn't warrant mentioning, but I did notice them when I read the spell and think them clever).

What I think may be unintended is that it didn't play nice with teams that aren't entirely Fury-built. Unless Elli and Lucette have a Fury Bonus skill, I can't Charge or Thorns scry them regularly (or perform an emergency scry on them when they're in a dark room and need new orders to escape/rest) without also Berserking them every 4th scry.
The main drawback of this (the one I have less control over) has been when it causes a knight to run through unexplored rooms, triggering a trap, ignoring it to run to the next room, repeating until they find a monster which may be three rooms deep (just enough for the traps to rearm on the way out after Berserk wears off).

Not that it's a serious problem, but does make Enkindle an even more niche spell which requires much more calculated play/team-building. (will also help me get that one Angry Maid event that req. full Fury stacks)

I have thought about similar sorts of things to this, but I haven't decided if/how I would want to do it specifically.
Probably a good thing. I think you have enough mechanics as is to complete a base game before adding more after. Feature-creep too early is one of the things often cited as the death of a Kickstarter or other in-development game.

Edit: forgot to add, would it be alright to add a list of status effects to the Info. tab or research? To look up things like what effect Fatigued or Thorns has while at camp. I sometimes read a skill description and think "wait, what does Deeply Wounded actually do again?" and realise I need to wait for a knight to have it and mouse-over the effect in-dungeon to find out.

Last edited:

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Aaaaaagh the tutorial broke when I changed a thing about how allies are loaded onto floors. I'm going to put a fix out tonight.
Luckily they STILL haven't promoted the thread for some reason so maybe I'll get it in before that happens.

Edit: The links are updated with a version that has fixed the tutorial. If you don't intend to play the tutorial, you shouldn't need to download it, but it's there.

Last edited:
Reactions: druiddeathy

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Hey, were there new songs added, or are some rarer than others, or what? Because I just heard a camp song for the first time, and there's no way it's just RNG that I've heard this one particular one 20 times but another one with equal odds just turned up for the first time.

Probably a good thing. I think you have enough mechanics as is to complete a base game before adding more after. Feature-creep too early is one of the things often cited as the death of a Kickstarter or other in-development game.
I mean, there are already key features still to be added, namely an alternate method to gain stat points and a way to remove permanent corruption. And like with the additional skill points from scrolls, they'll likely be tied into a new mechanic, though I believe the dev said they're not sure exactly what they want that mechanic to be. So any new suggestion could end up being the excuse needed to implement those.

In any case, I find that the main thing that kills games is an issue of scope, often with features that have a compounding effect on the amount of work they create (e.g. having things that change the state or appearance of a character that then has to be taken into account with every future scene), or just not realizing how long it'll take to implement what they had planned from the start. That's why I try to suggest things that slot into existing mechanics and allow them to be expressed in different ways, and don't necessarily create additional work once they're implemented. I also find that adding things too late can actually create more issues than doing it too early. I've seen a lot of games fall apart that way, though again that's often a result of starting the project before they even know where they want to go with it.

(But yeah, Kickstarter's reliance on "stretch goals" is a recipe for disaster. They usually involve something with a much more ridiculous scope, however, rather than "the same mechanic as before but slightly different". Promising major elements like DLC, additional characters, or even an entirely new game mode from only a slight increase to the game's initial funding... Yeah, it's no wonder so many of them go south. And yet people always point to the exceptions as if they disprove the rule...)

Edit: Uh... So I just met a rat. Is there a reason it says "Didn't this happen before?"

Edit 2: Wha happun?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Privitarium

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there are already key features still to be added
Sorry, let me correct myself: "you already have enough mechanics PLANNED as is".

With regards to your specific suggestion, I see where you're coming from in terms of Afflictions working similar to Curses. However, allowing Curses or Curse-adjacents to be inflicted by traps or monsters (if I'm reading you right) means theoretically they could be gained as soon as you meet the relevant monster/trap. Until now, Curses have been gained at a steady rate of 0 or 1 per floor (2 if you accept both a shrine and floor curse), so unless Afflictions were suitably rare or deep floored, you could end up dooming knights with an RNG-based stack of Curses and Afflictions. Now that doesn't make Afflictions unviable for the game but implementing it properly (with its related solutions and skills and what-not) does seem extra enough to me that, in light of the planned content so far, it could be left as something for much later, no?

Edit: Uh... So I just met a rat. Is there a reason it says "Didn't this happen before?"
So far I've encountered 2 or 3 different rat events, so that's probably what it's referring to.

"Happy" buff
I do remember seeing this. Is there any information on it in-game aside from its effect? Or is it meant to be left as one of those little things that you just have to appreciate and not dig into?

Last edited:

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Now that doesn't make Afflictions unviable for the game but implementing it properly (with its related solutions and skills and what-not) does seem extra enough to me that, in light of the planned content so far, it could be left as something for much later, no?
I disagree with how big of an impact you think it would have (especially since it's supposed to be as much of a positive as a negative and easily removed, on top of being somewhat rare), but I would say that if it *did* have that big of an impact, "saving it for much later" would be a bad idea. Limiting the scope is one thing, but you want to lay the groundwork for what you are gonna have as soon as possible. If anything, the fact that I don't think it would have a huge impact on balance (unless tied into the stat gains and permanent corruption removal somehow) would be what could allow it to be shoehorned in at a later date, but you do not wanna be going back and reworking everything you already did to make room for something new that completely changes the balance when you could have avoided that.

But I don't really want to argue on this point too much because it was supposed to just be a fun little idea to throw out. I'm not trying to argue for why this particular idea totally has to happen, just the principles of game design. (Which I also don't necessarily enjoy arguing.)

So far I've encountered 2 or 3 different rat events, so that's probably what it's referring to.
Well I'm only missing one threat according to the text on the last floor (19/20 monsters and 25/25 traps), so I certainly hope there's not a third rat somewhere I was unaware of. I guess I wasn't thinking that the rare joke monster would have been the same rat.

I do remember seeing this. Is there any information on it in-game aside from its effect? Or is it meant to be left as one of those little things that you just have to appreciate and not dig into?
I'm not sure what you're asking. It's just a buff the knight sometimes gets whenever something cute or funny happens. The clock says it's happy hour? Happy! A maid slipped and fell? Happy! Kitty sitting in your lap? Happy! In a dungeon focused on your psychological state, it's important to be happy once in a while.

druiddeathy

Jul 4, 2021
Aaaaaagh the tutorial broke when I changed a thing about how allies are loaded onto floors. I'm going to put a fix out tonight.
Luckily they STILL haven't promoted the thread for some reason so maybe I'll get it in before that happens.

Edit: The links are updated with a version that has fixed the tutorial. If you don't intend to play the tutorial, you shouldn't need to download it, but it's there.
Awesome thank you for the super quick response! Tutorial seems to be working now, can't wait to do a playthrough later ^^

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
Turns out the rules changed and I updated too quickly to get the thread promoted, so if you're reading this, thanks for paying attention to the thread without needing to be prompted by the latest updates page, I guess?

What I think may be unintended is that it didn't play nice with teams that aren't entirely Fury-built. Unless Elli and Lucette have a Fury Bonus skill, I can't Charge or Thorns scry them regularly (or perform an emergency scry on them when they're in a dark room and need new orders to escape/rest) without also Berserking them every 4th scry.
This is true enough. I suppose I could change it to only have an effect on characters that have a fury/rage bonus tag skill.

I think you have enough mechanics as is to complete a base game before adding more after. Feature-creep too early is one of the things often cited as the death of a Kickstarter or other in-development game.
I do feel like I'm not terribly far away from being in a place where I can move the game into beta. A few more systems to put in place, obviously, since once I move the game to beta I want to avoid adding too much to the framework and focus on content.

Progress is still steady though, and as long as I make sure to assess scope creep whenever I hear good ideas it should still be okay.

Edit: forgot to add, would it be alright to add a list of status effects to the Info. tab or research? To look up things like what effect Fatigued or Thorns has while at camp. I sometimes read a skill description and think "wait, what does Deeply Wounded actually do again?" and realise I need to wait for a knight to have it and mouse-over the effect in-dungeon to find out.
I'll probably have to figure out how I want to split up the research tabs into multiple groupings, since only 1 more can fit and there are going to be more categories to look at still.

Hey, were there new songs added, or are some rarer than others, or what? Because I just heard a camp song for the first time, and there's no way it's just RNG that I've heard this one particular one 20 times but another one with equal odds just turned up for the first time.
This version has 1 new dungeon song and 1 new camp song, I believe.

Oh good point. I forgot that Rat can spawn in dark rooms but will still count as having been seen for the requirements of Chest Rat. I should probably adjust that event text.

Edit 2: Wha happun?
Haven't seen that in a while, and I'm still surprised it doesn't crash when it happens. Any other info you could point me at?

Afflictions
Honestly you could probably do something along this same flavor with status effects/compulsions without needing to set up a new system. I haven't really made any calls on it regardless.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Turns out the rules changed and I updated too quickly to get the thread promoted, so if you're reading this, thanks for paying attention to the thread without needing to be prompted by the latest updates page, I guess?
What *are* the rules, anyway? Another dev updated their game a few weeks ago after like 8 months and I reported it and everything, but it's still not up to date on the Latest Updates page. Considering that their game just reached its "completed" state (at least for the main story), I really wanted to make sure it was shown properly, but I don't even know where I'd find instructions or rules or whatever for how that happens.

Haven't seen that in a while, and I'm still surprised it doesn't crash when it happens. Any other info you could point me at?
Unfortunately no, since it happened while I was auto-dungeoning and that run is over. I just noticed when a blank popup showed up on the bottom of the screen. The one thing I can say was different is that it's a run where I *tried* to take stats instead of skill points on every floor (and failed miserably because of habit), so it shouldn't be the result of too many skill interactions, I think. I tried scrolling further back and didn't see anything that stuck out to me, including any status ailments that might have run out at that time. As you can see in the screenshot, it seems to have occured the moment Elli dealt the killing blow to a monster while Raine was in the room and then spawned a chest, so I guess that's where to start looking.

Speaking of my (failed) stats-only run, I've come to the conclusion that it is simply unfeasible to ever see the "Miss" scene for the Localized Aurora in the current version. It's already super rare, and requires a level of Willpower that even Lucette can't reach without 2 more stat points (and I'm not sure it's even possible with Raine using all stat points currently available), and the huge number of things that negatively impact willpower mean it needs to be stacked even higher than that. But getting new stat points requires taking corruption (at least in the floors before the first Eschahn Shrine), which also lowers willpower... You really need a perfect storm of high stats, no damage, and finding a very rare trap with the right character.

Oh, right, I noticed that the cost of dispelling after completely clearing a floor was consistently 3 permanent corruption that run. Was that intentional, and if so, when did it change? I remember being able to dispel for a cost of 1 back when I was actually paying attention to that and not just automatically grabbing the curse every time. I'm wondering if maybe it's an unintented side effect of the chaos mechanic or changes to floor generation or something.

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
What *are* the rules, anyway? Another dev updated their game a few weeks ago after like 8 months and I reported it and everything, but it's still not up to date on the Latest Updates page. Considering that their game just reached its "completed" state (at least for the main story), I really wanted to make sure it was shown properly, but I don't even know where I'd find instructions or rules or whatever for how that happens.
The relevant one for me in this case is just that you can't be promoted more than once in a 2 week period. It sounds like whatever game you're talking about should be fine, so maybe it's just waiting somewhere in the queue. Dunno.

Speaking of my (failed) stats-only run, I've come to the conclusion that it is simply unfeasible to ever see the "Miss" scene for the Localized Aurora in the current version. It's already super rare, and requires a level of Willpower that even Lucette can't reach without 2 more stat points (and I'm not sure it's even possible with Raine using all stat points currently available),
It has an accuracy of 29, so Lucette could conceivably beat it just by pumping up her stats enough (though that is at base, so I guess if it spawns with Concealed then you're kinda sol). Raine would be quite a stretch though. And now that you mention it, yeah there really aren't a lot of sources of Willpower bonuses, particularly for Lucette. Weird. I'll have to make a note of that.

Oh, right, I noticed that the cost of dispelling after completely clearing a floor was consistently 3 permanent corruption that run. Was that intentional, and if so, when did it change? I remember being able to dispel for a cost of 1 back when I was actually paying attention to that and not just automatically grabbing the curse every time. I'm wondering if maybe it's an unintented side effect of the chaos mechanic or changes to floor generation or something.
Do you have the "Increase Dispel Cost I" NG+ bonus? I'm not seeing this otherwise.

anvimur

Apr 11, 2018
not every room has to be super interesting and they are boring but effective negative stat gains
cue babyrage about content not perfectly tailored to my every specification yeah that's fair I guess

things currently aren't constrained to floor ranges (aside from some of them just being "greater than floor x" I suppose), and I'd rather encourage replayability and doing more runs than grinding a particular floor
also fair. That suggestion was meant as more of a "for future consideration" thing once there's more stuff in the game. I forget ideas if I don't say them (or in this case, type, I guess).

check your NG+ settings, on one of the tabs there's a few options that say "increase dispel cost" that do what they say on the tin, basically. I was confused about that the first time I checked those boxes without paying attention to them too.

On an unrelated note, has anyone else had issues with the Gardening spell? Every time I use it whoever I cast it on gets a buff that persists between floors, and then this
thorns.PNG
happens at the start of every floor, regardless of what anyone's growth desires are.
(The sprout skill doesn't have the same issue and functions normally)

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Do you have the "Increase Dispel Cost I" NG+ bonus? I'm not seeing this otherwise.
Herpty derpty derp. I'm so used to never, ever, ever taking stat points that I don't even bother to register that I took that bonus for free KP.

On an unrelated note, has anyone else had issues with the Gardening spell? Every time I use it whoever I cast it on gets a buff that persists between floors, and then this
Hmm... That looks similar to what happened when Hunting Call failed to work properly when multiple knights had it. It would say they gained Fury and then lost Fury. Possibly related?

Also, does the buff in question have a name, or is it called " " or "Null"? Because the Null issue I mentioned in my previous post also persisted between floors, but I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.

The relevant one for me in this case is just that you can't be promoted more than once in a 2 week period. It sounds like whatever game you're talking about should be fine, so maybe it's just waiting somewhere in the queue. Dunno.
Do you know where I can see them? There are a lot of times I'd like to share that info with new devs (or old devs finding themselves in new situations), but I can't even find a source.

anvimur

Apr 11, 2018
Also, does the buff in question have a name, or is it called " " or "Null"? Because the Null issue I mentioned in my previous post also persisted between floors, but I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.
nope, it says "Gardening" on their stats page, with the spell icon and everything. When you cast it, the little camp notification thingy that pops up under the text box after some events goes "[Knight] gained Gardening"

Realized I should comment on this and the following thing even though I didn't before. The order of spells being added to your list in ng+ is Retained Spells -> individually picked bonus spells (charged, quintessence, etc) -> starting spells, and the game always checks that you don't already have a spell before adding it to your list, so ng+ bonuses will never be rolled as starting spells, nor will it rip you off. If you pick to retain a spell you can get for much cheaper though... I mean that's kind of your fault and your problem.
Something about this has gotten screwed up, as selecting Advert as a retained spell gives you two copies of it if you're getting it as a NG+ bonus. Both slots get counted as 'prepared' whenever I prepare one, and unchecking the duplicate before preparing your spells increases your available mana by one, allowing you to do this:
spell prep.PNG
which I'm pretty sure is not intended behavior. The excess mana persists through dungeon exploration, casting other spells, and it even increments your available mana if you pass out from lack of sleep instead of actually preparing your spells.
This essentially allows you to ignore the high cost "extra mana" NG+ options since all you need to do for mana is spend a day or two beating the preparation menu over the head with a stick.

Also, whenever I start a floor I have to tell the girls to get their ass in gear manually now? Did their default behavior change from "explore" when I wasn't looking?

CurseWave

Dec 12, 2018
If I fully research a monster and there are no unidentified events in its file, does that mean I saw all the content for that monster, or there are variant based on dungeon depths or character set up?

Is there a lot of content that is hidden behind the system to Control the characters?

NRFB

Hi (。・ω・)ノ゙
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2020
I'll look into it.

Do you know where I can see them? There are a lot of times I'd like to share that info with new devs (or old devs finding themselves in new situations), but I can't even find a source.
I don't know where the rules might be actually. I only know that I saw the announcement of the rules changing in the developer subforum which you (conceivably) can't see anyway...

Something about this has gotten screwed up, as selecting Advert as a retained spell gives you two copies of it if you're getting it as a NG+ bonus.
Ah dang you're right, I forgot to run the duplicate spell prevention on the bonus for Advert because it's on page three and the other spells are on page one. I should probably handle spells being learned differently if that can happen.

Also, whenever I start a floor I have to tell the girls to get their ass in gear manually now? Did their default behavior change from "explore" when I wasn't looking?
I know why this happened. Will be fixed in the next version, but it's not a terribly big deal at least. Guess you'll have to shift+E for now.
If I fully research a monster and there are no unidentified events in its file, does that mean I saw all the content for that monster, or there are variant based on dungeon depths or character set up?
There are little to no variations for character setup, as in there might be like one or two that I put into early events before realizing it would be annoying for people to find them.

Is there a lot of content that is hidden behind the system to Control the characters?
Not a large amount presently. It's much more of a mechanical function at the moment.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
I think in the past there was at least one bug where an event didn't have an associated "???" until after it was seen, but that was a bug, and should never be happening intentionally (and should be reported if you do see it). Anything that has any noticeable difference should be visible as a separate entry on the event list, such as the knights having different reactions to the Gazer's gaze at different lust levels.

There is a tiny bit that's "hidden", but most of it is visible, and very little sexual content to begin with (except for the single greatest scene in the game right now). All the skills locked behind drive requirements can be found by looting their scrolls and researching them, and any full-blown scenes (just the one) have "???" hints in the character profiles in the research notes.

The only outright hidden/easter egg content in that system is a not-so-hidden naked portrait if you use the Strip command that appears when their Pleasure desire (not drive, just the meter) is above a certain point and a unique naked portrait if you use both Strip and Deep Sleep (from their Relaxation desire) at the same time. On a tangential note, another hidden portrait/mini-scene is available if you scry a knight while she's sleeping.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Tweet time:

Tweet said:
Aww, I want to cuddle with the weakling. But... is that Dire Godzilla? Or Deviljho?

I mean, it's not like a regular-sized Mindfucker wouldn't already strait up kill them if we applied real-world logic. Hell, any form of "ear invasion" should render the victim completely deaf long before it reaches the brain.

Fishing! ...I can't think of any natural way to make this about mind control, so I guess I'll just have to settle for this whole "bonding" thing. (I mean, you could use the monotony of fishing to try to lull her into a trance, but then you've gotta worry about being interrupted at random by a fish biting.)

CurseWave

Dec 12, 2018
There are little to no variations for character setup, as in there might be like one or two that I put into early events before realizing it would be annoying for people to find them.
Ah I see. Personally my enjoyment with that kind of game is going in the field (or in the dungeon) and seeing all the variations that I can control from camp or with gameplay. I think there's a happy medium to be found with that kind of gameplay.

Having 10 desires is a bit much for that bit of content to be enjoyable, though.

All the skills locked behind drive requirements can be found by looting their scrolls and researching them, and any full-blown scenes (just the one)
I haven't played much, what do you mean by "just the one"?

4.50 star(s) 25 Votes