3.90 star(s) 7 Votes

Prick

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
It seems the update was more or less anti-piracy focused, and for building a website. Which are both understandably time consuming. How many development cycles later will someone create a crack I wonder? Seems redundant in the long run. What saddens me is the $15+ patrons who have been waiting for a content update for the last four months, are met with this update. Granted there is always work under the hood which is not necessarily seen. Can't help but point out how lackluster the official progress is.

I've been watching this game for some time, and while the demo was very good, I have not seen an update worth $15 out of my paycheck yet. If you guys are serious about making a living off of this game, you need to attract people with a smaller pocket, considering the patreon model. Think about the prospect of having 100 x $5 patrons, vs having 10 x $15 patrons. Find a way to limit lower tiered builds without censorship or blocking essential content. That's a win.

D0v4hk1n

Oct 4, 2017
Guys guys, stop discouraging the dev come on. You know how negative thoughts can influence someone. We always need more sex games. You go Dev guy, take all the money you need to finish the game.

And when it's finally done, we'll crack it and play it for free.

OR... You could have the $25 tier access updates earlier than everybody else, the $10 tier access the build one week after and then a Public release down the line. This way, everyone is happy and you might get some of us to actually pledge.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Ninjaperv

May 29, 2017
Wait, so the developer posts the game here on F95zone for feedback and then slaps a paywall on the development build a year later? :unsure:

Reactions: redraw

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I wish the devs well, but I can't think of a single time their model of "we'll get patrons to pay for advance development" has actually worked. The forum is littered with abandoned projects that failed because their Patreon account was not paying them enough live on.

The Dystopian Project makes $6k/month now, but they got there by first creating a big fan base. Their Patreon account was mostly for the people in that big fan base who just wanted to see the games worked on and finished. Eventually, patrons got to see the game earlier than non-patrons, but that was never the motive. The motive was that Claire's Quest was the greatest RPGM game ever made, and patrons wanted to see it finished.

I think it likelier that a dev can get money after showing a great product much more readily than they can get money by promising to create a great project. A $15/month threshold is a fairly big one; after 4 months and one update the patron has paid the same as full freight for an AAA title, and faces the real possibility that the game was, in fact, already abandoned for the last two of those four months.

So, I'd advise the devs that if they can't suck up the time and money needed to spend six months on free monthly releases to show their fans that they are themselves committed, they should reconsider spending their time on this project at all. Too many games had just this kind of great start and then were abandoned, and I doubt that there are many people for whom $15 a month is so little that they would gamble it on the off chance that GC is that rare dev who can make rain.

Nomine sine

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2020
First I thought that maybe I don't understand smth. No way out of city and this ongoing "retry connection". But it seems that everything is ok and it was inteded that I couldn't play this game. Thx.

racove

Aug 28, 2020
3GB of nothingness, just have good graphics, some sex cenes that you can choose o the tavern, just this, its lika a Skyrim with 0,3 of content, regreted for the download that i did

Grave Companions

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2019
so this update is basically:
- removed char customization
+ added paywall

umm... thanks?
Hey guys, 0.4.0 was a patron build with test features for a very small group of players. The updated build on here was uploaded by a mod. It was not intended for mass distribution to new players. As far as I've tested, the build on here is cracked and doesn't require Patreon authentication, so there is no "paywall" here for you. Moving forward, we will have content available for public access and paying players, but it will be much clearer what you are downloading. For new players, we will recommend the official public build (due very soon, with optimisation for a bigger audience), and anyone who chooses to play cracked/unofficial versions are free to do so obviously, but we won't be able to provide official support on these versions. Additionally, the Patreon tiers are unlikely to change in future.
Every dev in the world knows F95 has a unique culture of players with strong opinions on the monetisation of games, which I completely understand and I'm here despite that. I'd just really love to be able to continue having a presence here, so I can personally clarify any gameplay-related queries and be here for anybody interested in learning more, regardless of if they're a Patron or not. If the thread gets swamped with comments about monetisation or distribution, then, unfortunately, there's not much I can engage with.
Let me know if there's anything I can contribute and I'll do my best to assist :)
(in the meantime we'll get back to developing ;) )

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Every dev in the world knows F95 has a unique culture of players with strong opinions on the monetisation of games, which I completely understand and I'm here despite that. I'd just really love to be able to continue having a presence here, so I can personally clarify any gameplay-related queries and be here for anybody interested in learning more, regardless of if they're a Patron or not. If the thread gets swamped with comments about monetisation or distribution, then, unfortunately, there's not much I can engage with.
I think you're still kind of missing the point. While yes, a lot of people pirate games and share Patreon-only content in this forum, a lot of people end up becoming patrons only after finding the game through this site. We're not a bunch of greedy anarchists, dude, we're just a bunch of people who want to try new adult content but can't afford to support every up and coming dev out there. Like what's upsetting people right now is that they need to dump 15 bucks just to reap the minimum benefits of support. Who wants to throw 5 bucks just to read that month's dev blog and hang out in a mostly empty Discord? And it's hard to justify those 15 dollars, given the amount of content that exists so far in the game. A lot of the bigger name devs give much more for much cheaper. And people are going to continue to pass this game over in favor of more affordable and developed options so long as this remains true.

FIFTEEN dollars just to get access to the character creation. Dev just killed his game. lol
Honestly I was like fuck it, usually this stuff is 5 bucks a month to get access to, I'll throw the dev some cash. Nope, lol, I was going to see if the old versions were free, but the patreon post for 3.0 said I need to become a $25 patreon to access it.

Deleted, I'll check back in a few months to see if the dev isn't charging super high fees.
The other thing I need to point out is this quote you replied to yesterday. It was pretty clear from his response that he wasn't talking about 3.0. It should have been clear that everyone was talking about the newest release, since you had just released it the same day. And rather than own up to the mistake, you're basically saying "it's not my fault someone else uploaded the newest version." Like rather than try to figure out why people aren't able to access character creation, or why they're suddenly talking about the 15 dollar price for the tier 2, you've simply made assumptions and told people to check back later. It's like you don't even want to communicate.
I'm sorry to say that with how you've responded to the situation and how you're continuing to respond to people, I am no longer interested in any further development to this game. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Grave Companions

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2019
I think you're still kind of missing the point. While yes, a lot of people pirate games and share Patreon-only content in this forum, a lot of people end up becoming patrons only after finding the game through this site. We're not a bunch of greedy anarchists, dude, we're just a bunch of people who want to try new adult content but can't afford to support every up and coming dev out there. Like what's upsetting people right now is that they need to dump 15 bucks just to reap the minimum benefits of support. Who wants to throw 5 bucks just to read that month's dev blog and hang out in a mostly empty Discord? And it's hard to justify those 15 dollars, given the amount of content that exists so far in the game. A lot of the bigger name devs give much more for much cheaper. And people are going to continue to pass this game over in favor of more affordable and developed options so long as this remains true.

The other thing I need to point out is this quote you replied to yesterday. It was pretty clear from his response that he wasn't talking about 3.0. It should have been clear that everyone was talking about the newest release, since you had just released it the same day. And rather than own up to the mistake, you're basically saying "it's not my fault someone else uploaded the newest version." Like rather than try to figure out why people aren't able to access character creation, or why they're suddenly talking about the 15 dollar price for the tier 2, you've simply made assumptions and told people to check back later. It's like you don't even want to communicate.
I'm sorry to say that with how you've responded to the situation and how you're continuing to respond to people, I am no longer interested in any further development to this game. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.
Sorry to hear I've gotten you off-side, I'm not trying to cause conflict or seem defensive. In fact, we agree with a lot of your points in your first paragraph and this will all be addressed in the near future.
To try and clear this up...0.4.0 was released to Patrons over a month ago, I was only aware of the updated post here because of the new traffic in the thread. While I am the publisher of the OP, I haven't personally edited it since the very first public build we released here over a year ago. I think that's where all the miscommunication is coming from. We will only update the post here with official public builds, if a mod updates with a cracked release then it's bound to cause confusion but that's just the way it is until our public build is ready to refer people to. The character creation was deliberately not in 0.4.0 as this build was in place to test out other features specific only to our patrons while the customisation is under construction. My only intention is to try and clear up any confusion, I'm not trying to cause offense or even drum up support for our project right now. The coming months will bring new content and a lot of Patreon and other posts updated to improve communication. Not much that can't be resolved with clear communication :)

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
Hey guys, 0.4.0 was a patron build with test features for a very small group of players. The updated build on here was uploaded by a mod. It was not intended for mass distribution to new players. As far as I've tested, the build on here is cracked and doesn't require Patreon authentication, so there is no "paywall" here for you. Moving forward, we will have content available for public access and paying players, but it will be much clearer what you are downloading. For new players, we will recommend the official public build (due very soon, with optimisation for a bigger audience), and anyone who chooses to play cracked/unofficial versions are free to do so obviously, but we won't be able to provide official support on these versions. Additionally, the Patreon tiers are unlikely to change in future.
Let me know if there's anything I can contribute and I'll do my best to assist :)
(in the meantime we'll get back to developing ;) )
apologies.
since your name was on the first post, i thought you had put the update here.
perhaps to avoid confusion in the future "test" updates should have a warning on the Menu. Like a Pop Up.
"this is a feature testing build separate from the main game and as such it may lack certain features. If you wish to download the stable version of the game you can do so on our patreon [link to latest version here]"

something like that

Grave Companions

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2019
apologies.
since your name was on the first post, i thought you had put the update here.
perhaps to avoid confusion in the future "test" updates should have a warning on the Menu. Like a Pop Up.
"this is a feature testing build separate from the main game and as such it may lack certain features. If you wish to download the stable version of the game you can do so on our patreon [link to latest version here]"

something like that
I agree, when I go to update the official build I will be sure to mark it somehow or update the thread to indicate this :)

Jul 10, 2017
Sooo I played the latest version.. its nice... really like uhm.... HDRP is incredible!
I was hoping that I could get out of town, but no..
I also see some similarities on the movement animations (trust me I do notice them cause I love 3D female protagonist)
I wish you luck on the development!

3.90 star(s) 7 Votes