preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
The game has been growing since before cross promotion was a thing.
It certainly was, most games do, but I'm not sure how this has any relevancy to your point though. All the major recent growth you can see on graphtreon is tied directly to the cross promos. Besides January of couse, I imagine a lot of people dropped pledges for Christmas and came back that month.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
It certainly was, most games do, but I'm not sure how this has any relevancy to your point though. All the major recent growth you can see on graphtreon is tied directly to the cross promos. Besides January of couse, I imagine a lot of people dropped pledges for Christmas and came back that month.
My point is that the Klauss thing didn't hurt their revenue in the least. Yeah, some people complained here and there were cries, but in their Patreon there was apparently no damage at all.
So why are we still talking about it here months after? Just move on if you dislike the story.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
their Patreon there was apparently no damage at all.
Yes, because of cross promotion. We have no idea how favorably or negatively Klaus would affect the game because they completely undercut it with the cross promos. Hell of a great business decision on their part, I'll give them that.

So why are we still talking about it here months after? Just move on if you dislike the story.
Oh, I did, I don't post here at all hardly.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
That "something" is cross promotion.
Here's the thing about 'cross promotion': by itself it doesn't generate much (if any) revenue. Few people who support Developer X, are now going to pay good money to Developer Y just because Y's game was promoted by X, WITHOUT ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME. The existence of sites like this one, where you can get the game for free, is too well known.

So if cross promotion raises revenue, it is only due to at least some people, who played the new game because of the promotion, liked it well enough to support it financially.

Reactions: Alfius and Ragnar

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
So if cross promotion raises revenue, it is only due to at least some people, who played the new game because of the promotion, liked it well enough to support it financially.
You're correct, but the cross promotion only started after the rape. None of those players had the months of build up a lot of us here did. I'm sure they got into the story a bit, but the tone whiplash is a lot less harsh when it's only been building for an hour or two.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Anyone have news on release date for .85. I'm gonna continue Qleaf's walkthrough w his Blessing, and just wondered if the dev has given a ballpark estimate?
I have good news and bad news for you.

The developer is very close to releasing the next episode. It should be either late today, or sometime tomorrow (depending on your time zone), unless testing reveals something drastic that needs extensive modifications.

The bad news is that Qleaf is out of business. We, who avidly follow her work, will have to muddle along on our own, unless someone else takes up the banner.

bauman

Sep 11, 2018
You're correct, but the cross promotion only started after the rape. None of those players had the months of build up a lot of us here did. I'm sure they got into the story a bit, but the tone whiplash is a lot less harsh when it's only been building for an hour or two.
The rape shit made the game blew up because this thread was hot for a month and a half after the august update. In a couple of weeks it generated more buzz than the year before. A lot more eyes in a short amount of time = more potential backers after all. It was a blessing in disguise for the devs. There was a good amount of cancelled pledges from older patrons though. Ptolemy even got butthurt over criticisms from people not liking the twist in the story.

EZ8lt

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2019

The developer is very close to releasing the next episode. It should be either late today, or sometime tomorrow (depending on your time zone), unless testing reveals something drastic that needs extensive modifications.

The bad news is that Qleaf is out of business. We, who avidly follow her work, will have to muddle along on our own, unless someone else takes up the banner.
I saw someone mentioning taking over Qleafs work partially in another thread, and Haley's Story was on that list, so I think we're good on that department.

Reactions: Walter Victor

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
A bit more on the next release...

The reason it may be late is because it is so big. They have crammed a lot into it, and may have bitten off more than they can chew. Viit is off to work, while Ptolemy is finishing up the renderings. Later, they expect to test it and release it. To me, this causes concern that they may not do a sufficient job of testing before releasing the product.

Regardless, I will lap it up as soon as I can, because this looks like it will be an important and pivotal release.

Reactions: D Dog

Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019

I'm taking up the banner with his support, he has been teaching me and I have already updated 2 of his guides. I will be doing Haley and 3 other games, possibly more, but for the moment just the four VN's.

Last edited:

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
I know there has been several replies, quotes, and reactions to my posts. I would like to thank you all for caring enough to reply in some fashion. Unfortunately I don't care enough to respond. I made the point I wanted, you can all go back to sleep now.

• Haha
Reactions: Segnbora

Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
A bit more on the next release...

The reason it may be late is because it is so big. They have crammed a lot into it, and may have bitten off more than they can chew. Viit is off to work, while Ptolemy is finishing up the renderings. Later, they expect to test it and release it. To me, this causes concern that they may not do a sufficient job of testing before releasing the product.

Regardless, I will lap it up as soon as I can, because this looks like it will be an important and pivotal release.
I'm thinking it will be tomorrow, depending on where you live. From the discord it looks like they are still finishing up. The update with the most amount of choices so far has 9 choices, I'm wondering if this one will have more or be more dialogue centered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walter Victor

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
it would be interesting to know whether other ppl think the outrage of MC is justified
I do — I'd certainly be outraged if my sister was raped — but that doesn't necessarily mean I think he needs to be the solution. To the extent that the game indulges in revenge fantasies I think it will fail the plot disruption. If it centers the resolution on Haley I think it has a better chance of succeeding.

None of those players had the months of build up a lot of us here did. I'm sure they got into the story a bit, but the tone whiplash is a lot less harsh when it's only been building for an hour or two.
Of course. Because experiencing and deconstructing narrative on Patreon's schedule is deformative and unnatural. People who took in the whole thing at once are experiencing it more correctly and more authentically. People who don't encounter it until it's finished will have a vastly more intentional experience, and moreover the one that the writer(s) intended.

Last edited:

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
Of course. Because experiencing and deconstructing narrative on Patreon's schedule is deformative and unnatural. People who took in the whole thing at once are experiencing it more correctly and more authentically. People who don't experience it until it's finished will have a vastly more intentional experience, and moreover the one that the writer(s) intended.
I feel like we've had this conversation before, but I'll leave it at this: This is pretty much how TV works, so if they can't work around that, that's not my fault as an audience member, but theirs as writers.

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
I'm thinking it will be tomorrow, depending on where you live. From the discord it looks like they are still finishing up. The update with the most amount of choices so far has 9 choices, I'm wondering if this one will have more or be more dialogue centered.
I doubt you'll see more than a total of 6 meaningful choices. There might be more but some of them as of late have been more window dressing questions than anything else.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I feel like we've had this conversation before, but I'll leave it at this: This is pretty much how TV works, so if they can't work around that, that's not my fault as an audience member, but theirs as writers.
Different media have different norms. Do orchestras walk out after the first movement and ask you to pledge your support in order to hear the second? Do (most) movies? No. Further, television is paid for in advance. Patreon-funded games aren't.

More relevantly, does watching a TV series episodically versus binging it result in a different experience? The answer's obviously yes. The aesthetic experience is completely different. The Patreon model isn't an artistically driven choice, it's an economically driven choice. If devs could be just as profitable on the old Tora model of releasing completed games they would, but even Tora couldn't make that model work as more than a time-sucking hobby.

Haley isn't supposed to be enjoyed piecemeal. It's not a procedural, it's a cohesive story with a beginning, a bunch of narrative (including some conflict), and an end. There are stories that poll and beg and willingly morph in response to reader input, but Haley's Story has never been one of them.

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
The sticking point appears to be the number of renders, which on Patreon was reported at 752 (including animations), which is about double the usual amount.

alpharenji

Jul 5, 2018

Maybe dumb question but who is Qleaf the writer or animater?

Reactions: dbah and mistortine
4.20 star(s) 301 Votes