mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
We hope it'll be worth a year long or so wait. There's high hopes and expectations in this thread for this update, so we'll see.
Honestly I know it won't be worth the high hopes and expectations of a years wait. I am not saying it wont be good, or that I wont enjoy it, or that it won't be fan-fucking-tastic. Just when you phrase it like that - lofty expectations - everyone is let down. Personally I will play it and enjoy what is there without the expectations and hope that it continues the story we all love.

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Part of the problem must be all the different paths in the game. One person doing branching narratives has to be a nightmare. What was the old update schedule?

Reactions: dasetean

Deleted member 4298851

Oct 27, 2021
Part of the problem must be all the different paths in the game. One person doing branching narratives has to be a nightmare. What was the old update schedule?
I don't think any of us really remember. I sure as hell don't. Some of the longer people here might though.

Pedro69

Jun 26, 2018

Kudos to you. This is the first time in a long time on these forums I have actually seen someone acknowledge the amount of work coding multiple paths is and how long it takes to go through and make sure each is working. Normally you try to say that and people just complain that its easy because in their minds the game only plays the one way they picked and don't realize there are sometimes tons of separate paths that also have paths that have to be coded/story boarded/scripted/rendered all because you decided to knock or not near the beginging of a game.

Reactions: dasetean

herlam

Apr 3, 2021
Well I played the game today for the first time....amazing, everything are beautiful made. The girls, the script, everything. I know that the previous update was almost one year ago but I cross my fingers to see episode 9 soon...with more Samantha! screenshot0006.png

wizardcock

Feb 19, 2021
I would love to see Ashlyn in the next episode. And let Emily get a little jealous, because she looks pretty funny doing it.

Reactions: towy995

JuniorAT

Dec 25, 2017
I would love to see Ashlyn in the next episode. And let Emily get a little jealous, because she looks pretty funny doing it.
I was thinking the same. Something tells me Ashlyn could also be the jealous type. I imagine if Ashlyn does take MC's offer and visits the halfway house and sees Ashley's new "sister", Emily, that could trigger her. And of course Emily being jealous is always adorable. It'd be hilarious to see their interaction; I might be disappointed if this doesn't play out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4298851

Oct 27, 2021
I was thinking the same. Something tells me Ashlyn could also be the jealous type. I imagine if Ashlyn does take MC's offer and visits the halfway house and sees Ashely's new "sister", Emily, that could trigger her. And of course Emily being jealous is always adorable. It'd be hilarious to see Ashlyn and Emily's interaction; I might be disappointed if this doesn't play out.
If you think Emily was bad with Shiho, I can see her stepping up her honey badger-ness over Lynn. I don't think her being Ash's sister would protect her enough. I know my save I never gave into the bait she threw at the MC, but if she enters that house and starts attention whoring the MC, Em's certainly going to strike.

God I really want to see that now.

PS: Love the avatar (y)

wizardcock

Feb 19, 2021
If you think Emily was bad with Shiho, I can see her stepping up her honey badger-ness over Lynn. I don't think her being Ash's sister would protect her enough. I know my save I never gave into the bait she threw at the MC, but if she enters that house and starts attention whoring the MC, Em's certainly going to strike.

Sure, Shiho is pretty, but Lynn looks more spectacular, so Emily's reaction will be stronger. Then imagine they sit around the table as a group. Ashlynn and Emily are engaged in a cold war for the mc, and meanwhile Samantha is discreetly flirting with the foot under the table. Funny situation

Honestly, I'm really struck by honey badgers. It is amazing how nature created an animal with tough skin and strong immunity. They even have a smaller body than their hide, so in a fight even if Lynn's bodyguard grabs Emily, she can easily twist herself out and fight on.

Reactions: babadunde

Deleted member 4298851

Oct 27, 2021
Sure, Shiho is pretty, but Lynn looks more spectacular, so Emily's reaction will be stronger. Then imagine they sit around the table as a group. Ashlynn and Emily are engaged in a cold war for the mc, and meanwhile Samantha is discreetly flirting with the foot under the table. Funny situation

Honestly, I'm really struck by honey badgers. It is amazing how nature created an animal with tough skin and strong immunity. They even have a smaller body than their hide, so in a fight even if Lynn's bodyguard grabs Emily, she can easily twist herself out and fight on.
:ROFLMAO:

Emily fucked up how many girls that went after Julie? three? Poor little Lynn is not going to have a chance against her :ROFLMAO:

But yes, honey badgers are ferocious and they'll go after anything if they can, especially in defense or if there is no other way out. I saw a special on them a year or two ago when they went after lions and hyenas. Absolutely no fear at all. Lynn's in for a serious ass kicking if Ash doesn't stop her. :LOL:

JuniorAT

Dec 25, 2017

Thanks, and yeah would love to see their reaction to each other while MC is caught in the middle. I can only imagine how it'll play out.

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
Kudos to you. This is the first time in a long time on these forums I have actually seen someone acknowledge the amount of work coding multiple paths is and how long it takes to go through and make sure each is working. Normally you try to say that and people just complain that its easy because in their minds the game only plays the one way they picked and don't realize there are sometimes tons of separate paths that also have paths that have to be coded/story boarded/scripted/rendered all because you decided to knock or not near the beginging of a game.
While what you say is true, its also true that when you're doing the initial plan for something like this then you have to realize that most people want it to actually be finished in their life-time.
Once the releases get down to 1 update per year its either not going to get finished or 4 years in the dev will half-arse the rest of it just to call it done.

Reactions: operamini

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
While what you say is true, its also true that when you're doing the initial plan for something like this then you have to realize that most people want it to actually be finished in their life-time.
Once the releases get down to 1 update per year its either not going to get finished or 4 years in the dev will half-arse the rest of it just to call it done.
yeah and if you make a game with branches... dont fuck it up with unneccessary stuff and pile up even more... until chapter 8 there wasnt that much branches, three girls in a house, one of them was the ONLY really Love interest... nothing too complicated and really well done with the thiongs happening there and between the charakters... but than chapter 8 comes up, and everything goes wild. So many different ways now where this can go... and iam pretty sure, Az didnt make a complete storyboard for what he is planning until the end of the game... just getting ideas, go with the flow, and realized "oh, i have a lot of stuff to do to pull this one off" to late now to go back a few steps. But he realized that thing are growing over his head, so to keep everything alive, he decided to waste time on "bonus content" or how it was called... uff

So we are at one update a year for now (even longer, cause ep 9 is cleary not coming before summer)... but lets be really honest here. compared to some other devs and games, the amount of content in chapter 8 wasnt THAT big. Most devs and games got that amount of content in 3-4 months done in equal quality.

Last dev-news about Halfway House was that the actual content for EP9 is now slightly bigger than EP8... but at that point 10 months were gone. So 10 months for an episode as big as the last chapter, that is really not something to make me optimistic for the future of the game, AND Az did tell about two years ago that he is working fulltime at the game... come on, thats not realistic with so little progress. I would say, its flat out a lie.

I WAS a pledge at patreon once (before chapter 8), will never be one again for Az, cause i just lost any trust in him. His dev upgrades are nearly not existent, i dont believe him when he says he is working fulltime on this, cause my experience tell me, that cant be true compared to what others do in the same time, and solo too...

The quality of the game is not a single doubt one of the best around here... maybe top 5, depend on the taste and if one main love interest is enough for you, for me it is, emily is great, so yeah for me this game is in the top 5.

But i cant see any scenario where this game will get an statisfying ending in a acceptable amount of time, at this state i would say... an acceptable amount of time would be another 3 years. Will not happen, at this pace it will rather be 10 years. But even more likeley, it will be abondoned, or Az will just keep the project alive like he did the last year with stuff related to the game... like wallpapers, extra "scenes" and so on... i just cant believe anymore that he will ever really get the game on a way to a statisfying ending.

I really hope he can make me wrong, dont think so.

By the way, i avoid the "milking" phrase, cause Az stopped payment for some time... so i wouldnt say that he is really "milking" his patreons like many others do... but in my opinion, he is not working enough on the game either to justify the amount of money he gets for now, and to call it a "fulltime job"

i might be harsh here and there, but thats how i feel about the project. Overall, mostly iam just upset cause another really good game with even more potential will not going anywhere, cause the DEV just misjudged how much work it will be if the game gets bigger and bigger... without a good plan, storyboard and a structure from the beginning til the end, this will happen... happened alot around here, but mostly i dont care... but if it happens to such a good game, it really really is something that upsets me, especially if i had faith in the DEV once and supported him.

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
yeah and if you make a game with branches... dont fuck it up with unneccessary stuff and pile up even more... until chapter 8 there wasnt that much branches, three girls in a house, one of them was the ONLY really Love interest... nothing too complicated and really well done with the thiongs happening there and between the charakters... but than chapter 8 comes up, and everything goes wild. So many different ways now where this can go... and iam pretty sure, Az didnt make a complete storyboard for what he is planning until the end of the game... just getting ideas, go with the flow, and realized "oh, i have a lot of stuff to do to pull this one off" to late now to go back a few steps. But he realized that thing are growing over his head, so to keep everything alive, he decided to waste time on "bonus content" or how it was called... uff

So we are at one update a year for now (even longer, cause ep 9 is cleary not coming before summer)... but lets be really honest here. compared to some other devs and games, the amount of content in chapter 8 wasnt THAT big. Most devs and games got that amount of content in 3-4 months done in equal quality.

Last dev-news about Halfway House was that the actual content for EP9 is now slightly bigger than EP8... but at that point 10 months were gone. So 10 months for an episode as big as the last chapter, that is really not something to make me optimistic for the future of the game, AND Az did tell about two years ago that he is working fulltime at the game... come on, thats not realistic with so little progress. I would say, its flat out a lie.

I WAS a pledge at patreon once (before chapter 8), will never be one again for Az, cause i just lost any trust in him. His dev upgrades are nearly not existent, i dont believe him when he says he is working fulltime on this, cause my experience tell me, that cant be true compared to what others do in the same time, and solo too...

The quality of the game is not a single doubt one of the best around here... maybe top 5, depend on the taste and if one main love interest is enough for you, for me it is, emily is great, so yeah for me this game is in the top 5.

But i cant see any scenario where this game will get an statisfying ending in a acceptable amount of time, at this state i would say... an acceptable amount of time would be another 3 years. Will not happen, at this pace it will rather be 10 years. But even more likeley, it will be abondoned, or Az will just keep the project alive like he did the last year with stuff related to the game... like wallpapers, extra "scenes" and so on... i just cant believe anymore that he will ever really get the game on a way to a statisfying ending.

I really hope he can make me wrong, dont think so.

By the way, i avoid the "milking" phrase, cause Az stopped payment for some time... so i wouldnt say that he is really "milking" his patreons like many others do... but in my opinion, he is not working enough on the game either to justify the amount of money he gets for now, and to call it a "fulltime job"

i might be harsh here and there, but thats how i feel about the project. Overall, mostly iam just upset cause another really good game with even more potential will not going anywhere, cause the DEV just misjudged how much work it will be if the game gets bigger and bigger... without a good plan, storyboard and a structure from the beginning til the end, this will happen... happened alot around here, but mostly i dont care... but if it happens to such a good game, it really really is something that upsets me, especially if i had faith in the DEV once and supported him.
Oh, I didn't realise that he started up patreon payments again. :unsure: I presumed that he was keeping it paused until he was close to releasing the next update.

Raminita

Only in madness, do you find beautiful death
GFX Designer
Donor
Jun 11, 2017

1643245149795.jpeg

Hey guys,
Here's a heads up on what's going on with EP9. I've made the decision to end EP9 on a cliffhanger. This means it's now weeks from being done rather than months. The stuff I'm cutting from EP9 and moving to EP10 are all really work intensive stuff that includes multiple animations for multiple characters.
This might sound like bad news but as it stands there's enough story content in EP9 already, double the length of the previous episode. So I think even with this decision it'll provide a satisfying enough playthrough. It also means that EP9 will be out in the matter of weeks instead of taking a few more months to get done.
Right now I only have a handful of scenes to finish before everything is feature complete. After that it'll take another week or two to finish the music/sfx, send it out for proofreading and do the final testing. So, basically, I'm confident enough to say that EP9 will be out sometime in February.
This also means I'm going resume the monthly charges (starting from February). After five months of working without any income, I'm starting to feel the pinch.
Next time you hear from me will be release day.
Thanks,
Az.
TLDR: EP9 will be out sometime in February

Nebulotus

Aug 22, 2021
is it alive?
it would seem so. Just checked out the Patreon page and saw this:

What's going on with EP9.
Hey guys,

Here's a heads up on what's going on with EP9. I've made the decision to end EP9 on a cliffhanger. This means it's now weeks from being done rather than months. The stuff I'm cutting from EP9 and moving to EP10 are all really work intensive stuff that includes multiple animations for multiple characters.

This might sound like bad news but as it stands there's enough story content in EP9 already, double the length of the previous episode. So I think even with this decision it'll provide a satisfying enough playthrough. It also means that EP9 will be out in the matter of weeks instead of taking a few more months to get done.

Right now I only have a handful of scenes to finish before everything is feature complete. After that it'll take another week or two to finish the music/sfx, send it out for proofreading and do the final testing. So, basically, I'm confident enough to say that EP9 will be out sometime in February.

This also means I'm going resume the monthly charges (starting from February). After five months of working without any income, I'm starting to feel the pinch.

Next time you hear from me will be release day.

Thanks,

Az.

TLDR: EP9 will be out sometime in February.

Reactions: QBaSS and Uriel ☁

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
This sounds promising since it seems even with moving stuff to episode 10, based on this statement and previous render and line counts, this is about the size of two updates in one which makes up for the big gap since the last update. Hope this means actual progression in the story and relationships.

4.30 star(s) 182 Votes