JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Dev Log #13 | Episode 2
Published on , , , , and .
Status Update.png

Introduction and Progress Update
Thank you for supporting my project, Hardenville. This past year has been a challenging journey, with more personal ups and downs than I anticipated. However, I’m thrilled by how much I’ve grown in coding and rendering since The Prologue. Several key improvements have been made for Episode 2, including:

• Enhanced Field of View and Camera Positioning: Adjustments for a more immersive first-person experience.
  • Improved Lighting: Optimized lighting setups for more realistic and visually appealing scenes.
  • Better Character Rigging: Significant improvements to character bones and rigging, making it easier to create natural poses and expressions.
  • Rendering Optimizations: These changes lead to faster rendering times, allowing for quicker updates and progress.

These improvements are all aimed at making Hardenville a more polished and enjoyable experience.

Episode 2: A Shift in Focus
Based on the feedback I received from Episode 1, I’ve made significant improvements to the script and overall flow for Episode 2. This episode will continue the detailed style you enjoyed in Episode 1 but with a new focus on romance and professionalism. The cringe humor from The Prologue has been greatly reduced, allowing for a more mature and engaging narrative. Inspired by titles like Summer Heat by Naughty Fox Games and Summer's Gone by Ocean, I’m committed to creating something uniquely Hardenville—a game that stands out for its style and emotional depth.

This new direction will make Hardenville more appealing to a broader audience while maintaining the essence of what makes it special.

The Importance of Episode 2
Delivering a perfect Episode 2 is crucial for the future of Hardenville. The success of this episode will directly impact my ability to attract more players, improve reviews, and generate the income needed to continue development at the pace this project deserves. If Episode 2 is well-received, I can dedicate more time to Hardenville, resulting in shorter development cycles between updates. Conversely, a lukewarm reception might force me to split my time with other jobs to maintain a steady income.

Rest assured, I will never abandon Hardenville, no matter what. However, the reception of Episode 2 will significantly influence how quickly and frequently I can deliver new content.

Financial Situation and Time Constraints
Currently, I’m in a tight financial situation, with credit cards maxed out because every cent has gone into this project. I can continue working on Hardenville as planned until November or December. My goal is to see Hardenville move from a Mixed to a Positive rating on by the end of the year, thanks to the improvements and new content in Episode 2, including deeper romance and enhanced erotic elements.

Feedback and Release Schedule Adjustments
I’ve heard your feedback, especially from and members who feel they aren't getting enough value. As a result, I’ll be focusing more on these platforms moving forward, sharing more frequent Dev Logs, polls, and development updates. Currently, these two platforms are my primary sources of revenue, with leading at $148 a month before taxes. My hope is that this increased focus will attract more members and provide the necessary support to sustain Hardenville’s development.

To manage expectations better, I need to set the release date for Episode 2 to simply "2024" and leave the release dates for Episodes 3 through 9 as TBA until I have a better handle on the time required for each episode.

Development Timeline and Rendering Goals
If everything goes according to plan, I’ll begin rendering later this week—at the latest, early next week. Episode 2 will feature nearly 1,000 renders and a few erotic animations for the sex scenes. Once the rendering phase begins, I expect to produce between 50 and 120 static renders each week, depending on other tasks such as coding and script development.

Member Benefits and Platform-Specific Updates
Member Benefits:

• Gold Members and Above: Receive major game updates, including the first releases of each episode in an Alpha state, one week before the stable release.
  • Silver Members and Above: Receive major game updates in a Beta state three days before the stable release.
  • Bronze Members, , and Owners: Receive the stable release one week after the Alpha, ensuring the highest quality upon release on platforms like and .

All minor updates within episodes will be released simultaneously across all platforms, meaning only the initial episode releases will have Alpha and Beta stages.

To my and buyers, I want you to know that you’re not being left out. You will still receive updates, release notes, and major news like release dates. However, due to the different requirements for banners, image sizes, and file formats on these platforms, I’m focusing my detailed updates on and . This approach allows me to dedicate more time to development while keeping you informed.

Many Thanks
Thank you again for your continued support! I am committed to making Hardenville the best it can be, and with your help, we can achieve great things. I’m excited to deliver an Episode 2 that exceeds your expectations and helps Hardenville reach new heights.

Discord
Please remember to join our Discord channel with over 600 members!
Discord Link:

Poll | Current Summary
Do you think Ariel (18) should have braces?
Patreon Poll Link:
SubscribeStar Poll Link:
Braces Poll Summary.png

Last edited:

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
Poll | Current Summary
Patreon Poll Link:
SubscribeStar Poll Link:
View attachment 3928514
can't vote I did buy this on steam tho. My 2 cents is she looks alot better with braces and is rare to see in a AVN , so I really like it. But if you do make this change it should be after the party and a small time skip or something and mention she went to the dentist otherwise would see really random that she all of sudden now has braces.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Dev Log #13 | Episode 2
View attachment 3928513

Thank you for supporting my project, Hardenville. This past year has been a challenging journey, with more personal ups and downs than I anticipated. However, I’m thrilled by how much I’ve grown in coding and rendering since The Prologue. Several key improvements have been made for Episode 2, including:

• Enhanced Field of View and Camera Positioning: Adjustments for a more immersive first-person experience.
  • Improved Lighting: Optimized lighting setups for more realistic and visually appealing scenes.
  • Better Character Rigging: Significant improvements to character bones and rigging, making it easier to create natural poses and expressions.
  • Rendering Optimizations: These changes lead to faster rendering times, allowing for quicker updates and progress.

These improvements are all aimed at making Hardenville a more polished and enjoyable experience.

Based on the feedback I received from Episode 1, I’ve made significant improvements to the script and overall flow for Episode 2. This episode will continue the detailed style you enjoyed in Episode 1 but with a new focus on romance and professionalism. The cringe humor from The Prologue has been greatly reduced, allowing for a more mature and engaging narrative. Inspired by titles like Summer Heat by Naughty Fox Games and Summer's Gone by Ocean, I’m committed to creating something uniquely Hardenville—a game that stands out for its style and emotional depth.

This new direction will make Hardenville more appealing to a broader audience while maintaining the essence of what makes it special.

Delivering a perfect Episode 2 is crucial for the future of Hardenville. The success of this episode will directly impact my ability to attract more players, improve reviews, and generate the income needed to continue development at the pace this project deserves. If Episode 2 is well-received, I can dedicate more time to Hardenville, resulting in shorter development cycles between updates. Conversely, a lukewarm reception might force me to split my time with other jobs to maintain a steady income.

Rest assured, I will never abandon Hardenville, no matter what. However, the reception of Episode 2 will significantly influence how quickly and frequently I can deliver new content.

Currently, I’m in a tight financial situation, with credit cards maxed out because every cent has gone into this project. I can continue working on Hardenville as planned until November or December. My goal is to see Hardenville move from a Mixed to a Positive rating on by the end of the year, thanks to the improvements and new content in Episode 2, including deeper romance and enhanced erotic elements.

I’ve heard your feedback, especially from and members who feel they aren't getting enough value. As a result, I’ll be focusing more on these platforms moving forward, sharing more frequent Dev Logs, polls, and development updates. Currently, these two platforms are my primary sources of revenue, with leading at $148 a month before taxes. My hope is that this increased focus will attract more members and provide the necessary support to sustain Hardenville’s development.

To manage expectations better, I need to set the release date for Episode 2 to simply "2024" and leave the release dates for Episodes 3 through 9 as TBA until I have a better handle on the time required for each episode.

If everything goes according to plan, I’ll begin rendering later this week—at the latest, early next week. Episode 2 will feature nearly 1,000 renders and a few erotic animations for the sex scenes. Once the rendering phase begins, I expect to produce between 50 and 120 static renders each week, depending on other tasks such as coding and script development.

Member Benefits:

• Gold Members and Above: Receive major game updates, including the first releases of each episode in an Alpha state, one week before the stable release.
  • Silver Members and Above: Receive major game updates in a Beta state three days before the stable release.
  • Bronze Members, , and Owners: Receive the stable release one week after the Alpha, ensuring the highest quality upon release on platforms like and .

All minor updates within episodes will be released simultaneously across all platforms, meaning only the initial episode releases will have Alpha and Beta stages.

To my and buyers, I want you to know that you’re not being left out. You will still receive updates, release notes, and major news like release dates. However, due to the different requirements for banners, image sizes, and file formats on these platforms, I’m focusing my detailed updates on and . This approach allows me to dedicate more time to development while keeping you informed.

Many Thanks
Thank you again for your continued support! I am committed to making Hardenville the best it can be, and with your help, we can achieve great things. I’m excited to deliver an Episode 2 that exceeds your expectations and helps Hardenville reach new heights.

Discord
Discord Link:

Poll | Current Summary
Patreon Poll Link:
SubscribeStar Poll Link:
View attachment 3928514
Also can;t vote...but no braces, please. Don't ruin your best character.

Radnos Salazar

Dec 4, 2023
Dev Log #13 | Episode 2
View attachment 3928513

Member Benefits:

Many Thanks

Discord
Discord Link:

Poll | Current Summary
Patreon Poll Link:
SubscribeStar Poll Link:
View attachment 3928514
NO on the braces part, if any opinions on a pirate site matter. She looks way to beautiful for braces.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Dev Log #13 | Episode 2
View attachment 3928513

Member Benefits:

Many Thanks

Discord
Discord Link:

Poll | Current Summary
Patreon Poll Link:
SubscribeStar Poll Link:
View attachment 3928514
I like the braces. But you have to take into consideration that it could cause facial posing issues. But if you're confident you can pull it off, I'd say do it.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
I like the braces. But you have to take into consideration that it could cause facial posing issues. But if you're confident you can pull it off, I'd say do it.
Hell ya another Team braces for a minute I thought I was the weirdo this time or odd one out thinking she looks better with braces.

Reactions: Dark Silence

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
I actually tried many different braces months ago and eventually gave up because of issues like clipping through the teeth or not following the teeth during expressions. However, I finally found some braces that work great for Ariel, at least. I tested them with various poses and expressions—opening her jaw, different smiles with teeth showing, etc.—and everything seems to work well. The braces are positioned a few millimeters in front of her teeth, but that shouldn't be noticeable to the player unless pointed out or in extreme close-ups from a specific angle. Overall, there shouldn't be any issue using these braces for G8.1 female.

If you're a Daz user, I'm using this asset with a different shader than what's included:

Full images of Ariel with and without braces:

Ariel Braces Poll - Braces On.png Ariel Braces Poll - Braces Off.png

Last edited:

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
can't vote I did buy this on steam tho. My 2 cents is she looks alot better with braces and is rare to see in a AVN , so I really like it. But if you do make this change it should be after the party and a small time skip or something and mention she went to the dentist otherwise would see really random that she all of sudden now has braces.
If I decide to go with the braces, I'll redo the renders where Ariel's teeth are visible in Episode 1. It should only take a day or two, so it's not a major task. The Prologue will be completely redone with a new story, added depth, and twice the content to ensure a more professional tone, less cringe, more romance, and a more natural buildup, in line with the direction of the subsequent episodes. Additionally, the main characters will feature their updated looks as seen in Episode 1.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
If I decide to go with the braces, I'll redo the renders where Ariel's teeth are visible in Episode 1. It should only take a day or two, so it's not a major task. The Prologue will be completely redone with a new story, added depth, and twice the content to ensure a more professional tone, less cringe, more romance, and a more natural buildup, in line with the direction of the subsequent episodes. Additionally, the main characters will feature their updated looks as seen in Episode 1.
ah okay thought be much bigger deal to redo them well then I hope you go with the braces I really love them it feels like they fit the general feel / vibe even appearance of her character more in my opinion.

flaviopaganini

Feb 25, 2024
I actually tried many different braces months ago and eventually gave up because of issues like clipping through the teeth or not following the teeth during expressions. However, I finally found some braces that work great for Ariel, at least. I tested them with various poses and expressions—opening her jaw, different smiles with teeth showing, etc.—and everything seems to work well. The braces are positioned a few millimeters in front of her teeth, but that shouldn't be noticeable to the player unless pointed out or in extreme close-ups from a specific angle. Overall, there shouldn't be any issue using these braces for G8.1 female.

If you're a Daz user, I'm using this asset with a different shader than what's included:

Full images of Ariel with and without braces:

View attachment 3929948 View attachment 3929949
I am your client on Steam. Would it be possible for you to open a public vote, giving more weight to your Patreon supporters, or perhaps open another public vote? You could use Google Forms for this, so you can get broader feedback.

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
ah okay thought be much bigger deal to redo them well then I hope you go with the braces I really love them it feels like they fit the general feel / vibe even appearance of her character more in my opinion.
Since the original post was released yesterday, there has been one additional vote from a Bronze member who voted in favor of the braces. This makes the updated poll now lean even more towards a "yes" than it did when I posted the summary yesterday. The total number of votes from Bronze members on Patreon and SubscribeStar is now 21.

• Red Heart
Reactions: AlexMpog

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
Since the original post was released yesterday, there has been one additional vote from a Bronze member who voted in favor of the braces. This makes the updated poll now lean even more towards a "yes" than it did when I posted the summary yesterday. The total number of votes from Bronze members on Patreon and SubscribeStar is now 21.
that's good to hear to bad I can't vote from owning it on steam otherwise be another yes

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
I am your client on Steam. Would it be possible for you to open a public vote, giving more weight to your Patreon supporters, or perhaps open another public vote? You could use Google Forms for this, so you can get broader feedback.
that's good to hear to bad I can't vote from owning it on steam otherwise be another yes
Currently, there isn't a way to conduct polls or create "locked" or exclusive posts specifically for Steam buyers on Steam. On my Patreon, I occasionally conduct public polls, but one of the perks of supporting at $5/month or more is access to additional polls and greater influence on certain aspects of the project, such as (in the future) choosing which outfit a character should wear in a scene from among three options. I greatly appreciate all purchases on Steam, but those who contribute a similar amount through a one-time purchase on Steam versus monthly subscribers on Patreon have slightly less influence, as ongoing support is crucial for sustaining the project financially. The content in both the Steam and Patreon versions remains identical, and that won’t change. The primary difference between the two platforms is that Patreon supporters gain more insight into the development process, access to monthly renders separate from the story, and participation in certain polls.

In the past week, I had a total of five new purchases on Steam, generating $32 in revenue before Steam’s cut and taxes. This represents about 50% of the revenue, meaning roughly $16 remains for my registered company. When I'm able to pay myself a salary, about 36% of that amount needs to be deducted for taxes. So, if the entire $32 in Steam revenue were allocated to salary, approximately $5.76 would be left for personal use after all taxes are accounted for.

It's also worth noting that if a user buys the game on August 1, the payment for that purchase won’t be paid out until around September 30, as Steam processes payouts at the end of the following month. In contrast, on Patreon, I can request payments at any time, and the funds will be deposited into my company’s bank account the same day, as long as my Patreon balance is at least $25. Currently, I earn about $152 per month on Patreon before taxes, and without the 30% Steam cut. Patreon takes about 11%, if I recall correctly.

AlexMpog

Oct 17, 2022
Dev Log #13 | Episode 2
View attachment 3928513

Member Benefits:

Many Thanks

Discord
Discord Link:

Poll | Current Summary
Patreon Poll Link:
SubscribeStar Poll Link:
View attachment 3928514
Bought on steam as well hahah. So can't vote.

I like Ariel more with braces. She has an authentic look with it I would say.
Though, yeah I agree it can cause some face expression/posing issues, but if you're up to a challenge - that's cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: metamorphMP

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
Man now i'm sad that Ariel would be getting braces:cry::(. Not to shame on anyone but yall have some weird fetishes:(
honestly for me not even a fetish ( I don't play these games for that). For me I just think she legit looks better with them after seeing the comparison it just feels like the bracers complements her looks. Almost like the design of the character always had braces in mind or something. To me it feels like the dev was going for a cutesy young looks and the braces just completes them and looks like they belong to me. Not just that it even feels like they match her personality from what I can remember of this game. I just can't see her without them anymore , to the point if she doesn't get them , gonna take me a bit to get used to not seeing her with them again when I look at this thread.

Reactions: LordWanze

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Man now i'm sad that Ariel would be getting braces:cry::(. Not to shame on anyone but yall have some weird fetishes:(
Braces will make her look younger.
Patreon doesnt like younger ...
I'm copying and pasting this from what I just wrote on Steam. Some of it I've already mentioned here, while other parts are new.

Steam Comment Under the Dev Log:
Also a shame that the people who also paid towards this game on Steam do not get an option to vote in the polls.
Yup and because of this, Ariel will now be getting braces (which I think make her look meh/younger - under 18) but hey, I guess his Patrons and this (Dessolos) person get what they want, at least.

Tired of Patreon focused things, like polls or giveaways/stuff tied to Discord... it's annoying as hell. Just slimy things to ring in new Patrons/Discorders.

Edit: I think I'll probably give up on this game, if the Patreon subs are going to decide everything. I don't want to play "their" game. Time to find another game to jump into.
My follow-up answer:
Steam does not offer any polls or exclusive posts for buyers; all posts are open to everyone. This means that if Steam had a poll feature, even those who haven't played the game and are only following it due to wishlisting would have the same voting rights as those who have actually played it and have a better understanding of whether something fits.

What I'm doing with Patreon is not uncommon among AVN developers. Patreon subscribers should have more weight in their opinions because of their larger financial support. These subscribers generally represent people who already like the game and want to help make it even better. I’m not throwing out random polls; I’m conducting specific polls on aspects I’m considering adding, instead of making decisions without consulting others. There’s no difference in in-game content. The extra backing from Patreon allows for more development progress reports and polls for those who choose to contribute. Most of my Patreon supporters are already Steam buyers.

I fully understand that not everyone wants or can afford to be on Patreon, and I respect that. I do occasionally post public polls on Patreon, and you can follow the page without paying.

If this weren’t an adult game, I could easily seek funding from institutions, government grants, etc., while in Early Access on Steam, and I wouldn’t need Patreon. But this is how the AVN world operates. Even developers who have sold a significant number of copies on Steam and have a solid revenue stream from earlier games still use Patreon for their new AVNs after their last successful game release. This is my first game, and I've invested tens of thousands of dollars over the years in assets and development. I simply can't afford to spend as much as I used to without additional backing.

In the past week, I've had five new purchases on Steam, generating $32 in revenue before Steam’s cut and taxes. This represents about 50% of the revenue, meaning roughly $16 remains for my registered company. That's not enough to keep the game alive anymore. Therefore, seeking support elsewhere is the best solution to keep things going. I'm not punishing Steam users; they get exactly the same in-game content.

Things would be different if there were a way to have either exclusive posts for Steam buyers on Steam or polls restricted to Steam purchasers. Even a simple solution to integrate Steam purchases with Discord would make things easier.

As for the Discord comment, almost all Early Access games on Steam use Discord to provide more information and make it easier for players to follow the development process.

There are plenty of people well over 18 years old who still use braces. In fact, I've focused on making Ariel look even older in the past update and in Episode 2, with better proportions and other adjustments. If I decide to give Ariel braces, they wouldn't be very noticeable anyway, as the character mostly smiles without showing teeth, and in conversations, the braces would be barely visible.

Last edited:

metamorphMP

Jan 6, 2024
I'm copying and pasting this from what I just wrote on Steam. Some of it I've already mentioned here, while other parts are new.

Steam Comment Under the Dev Log:

My follow-up answer:
Those anti-brace arguments look so childish to me...

I have a friend, she is 39 and she just started wearing braces. There is nothing wrong with it.

As for Ariel, I like how she looks with braces, I agree with previous posts - it makes her look more real.

3.90 star(s) 22 Votes