3.90 star(s) 22 Votes

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Hey guys,

You’ve always been quick with feedback, and I could use some before I ship the next small update (0.2.3). This update includes a ton of improvements, translations, and an official Android port.

Right now, I’m redesigning the "Residents and Relations" screen. All characters are now displayed on a single, scrollable page. By default, the names aren’t shown, but when you hover over a character, their box slightly enlarges, becomes fully opaque, and displays their name along with the names of everyone in their household. This should make it quicker and easier to see everyone’s connections with fewer clicks.

The images are a bit rough at the moment, but I plan to create custom images for each character on this screen, in a yearbook-style format.

1. No new rows for households

screenshot0009.png screenshot0010.png screenshot0011.png

2.New rows for households

screenshot0015.png screenshot0016.png screenshot0017.png

I made these yearbook-style images months ago, but I won’t be using them as-is because I want them to be a little more zoomed in, with better and more fitting expressions. I’ll also use the same box size as shown above. Here’s an example of the yearbook-style images, but I’ll be remaking them with improved expressions and a better camera angle, while keeping the background:

Yearbook Ariel.png Yearbook Jasmine.png Yearbook Johanna.png Yearbook Millie (OLD).png

Please share your feedback on which option you liked the most, and if you have any additional suggestions for improving this screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: CircaAD

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
both looks fine to me but id say #1 looks the best for me ( No new line for households )

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Hey guys,

You’ve always been quick with feedback, and I could use some before I ship the next small update (0.2.3). This update includes a ton of improvements, translations, and an official Android port.

Right now, I’m redesigning the "Residents and Relations" screen. All characters are now displayed on a single, scrollable page. By default, the names aren’t shown, but when you hover over a character, their box slightly enlarges, becomes fully opaque, and displays their name along with the names of everyone in their household. This should make it quicker and easier to see everyone’s connections with fewer clicks.

The images are a bit rough at the moment, but I plan to create custom images for each character on this screen, in a yearbook-style format.

View attachment 3968335 View attachment 3968336 View attachment 3968337

View attachment 3968338 View attachment 3968339 View attachment 3968340

I made these yearbook-style images months ago, but I won’t be using them as-is because I want them to be a little more zoomed in, with better and more fitting expressions. I’ll also use the same box size as shown above. Here’s an example of the yearbook-style images, but I’ll be remaking them with improved expressions and a better camera angle, while keeping the background:

View attachment 3968346 View attachment 3968347 View attachment 3968349 View attachment 3968350

Please share your feedback on which option you liked the most, and if you have any additional suggestions for improving this screen.
If you're doing an android port please include a quick save and move the save from the android default to the documents folder.

Last edited:

asahibito

Modder
Jan 17, 2021
I like the compactness of #1, no new rows, but at the same it would be hard to locate someone especially when the list gets long. #2 is easier to locate but makes scrolling too long.

I personally prefer tabs on top for each family and then scrollable list for each family but then there are probably not enough characters to scroll :LOL:

So that's who covergirl is. Where do we meet her again? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: CircaAD

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
If you're doing an android port please include a quick save and move the save from the android default to the documents folder.
Quick save was implemented in version 0.2.1 (the current version is 0.2.2, with version 0.2.3 upcoming).

If you can provide an example of a Ren'Py game that uses this solution, please do so, as I'd like to see how it's implemented.

At the moment, it appears to use a simplified version of Ren'Py Sync, which was introduced in September 2023. I don't have an SD card on my Android device. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and my previous saves reappeared. However, if I made a quick save or a normal save just before uninstalling and then reinstalled the game, those new saves were not restored, although my older saves were. So, I'm unsure how quickly it syncs.

If I immediately update the game with a new version, the saves I made just seconds before are still there.

Please note that this is the official Android version of the game, not a third-party one.

UPDATE: I’ve fully implemented Ren'Py Sync, allowing you to easily export saves between PC and Android, and vice versa for the upcoming update 0.2.3.

Last edited:

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Poll | Patreon and SubscribeStar
Public

Published on August 26, 2024

Discord New Poll.png

Residents and Relations
  1. Linked Relationships (current): Do you prefer that some characters are linked and share the same relationship status? For example, if you change Ariel's relationship, Millie and Jasmine's relationships are automatically updated as well. This option is quick and easy but comes with some limitations.
  2. Unlinked Relationships: Or would you rather have the option to unlink them, allowing you to change each character's relationship individually? Keep in mind that this would likely take 10 times longer, or more, to fill in each one separately.

Public Voting:
Patreon Link
:
SubscribeStar Link:

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Midnight Prophets

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Quick save was implemented in version 0.2.1 (the current version is 0.2.2, with version 0.2.3 upcoming).

If you can provide an example of a Ren'Py game that uses this solution, please do so, as I'd like to see how it's implemented.

At the moment, it appears to use a simplified version of Ren'Py Sync, which was introduced in September 2023. I don't have an SD card on my Android device. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and my previous saves reappeared. However, if I made a quick save or a normal save just before uninstalling and then reinstalled the game, those new saves were not restored, although my older saves were. So, I'm unsure how quickly it syncs.

If I immediately update the game with a new version, the saves I made just seconds before are still there.

Please note that this is the official Android version of the game, not a third-party one.

UPDATE: I’ve fully implemented Ren'Py Sync, allowing you to easily export saves between PC and Android, and vice versa for the upcoming update 0.2.3.
Basically all of the porters move the save from android/data/game folder to documents/some intermediary folder/game folder... KoGa3, Dark Assassin, Ghost, wills747, estrada777 are the older more established porters that all do it, black eye Luke ray, and yopi ysoki are more recent porters that also do it.

Moving it allows users to remove the game files from their phone in between updates, but the saves stay put and are automatically detected.

I've never used that sync functionality, seems nifty, although I know at least some percentage of android users are without a PC.

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Basically all of the porters move the save from android/data/game folder to documents/some intermediary folder/game folder... KoGa3, Dark Assassin, Ghost, wills747, estrada777 are the older more established porters that all do it, black eye Luke ray, and yopi ysoki are more recent porters that also do it.

Moving it allows users to remove the game files from their phone in between updates, but the saves stay put and are automatically detected.

I've never used that sync functionality, seems nifty, although I know at least some percentage of android users are without a PC.
Thanks for providing many examples. I’ll check those out to see how they implemented it. It’s probably a simple solution and likely only requires a few lines of code.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Thanks for providing many examples. I’ll check those out to see how they implemented it. It’s probably a simple solution and likely only requires a few lines of code.
Thanks it makes playing them on Android so much nicer cause you don't have to keep them installed while waiting or mess about with moving files.

Reactions: JoyFI Games

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Hey guys,

View attachment 3968335 View attachment 3968336 View attachment 3968337

View attachment 3968338 View attachment 3968339 View attachment 3968340

View attachment 3968346 View attachment 3968347 View attachment 3968349 View attachment 3968350

Here is an example (Ariel) of the style everyone will have within the new Residents & Relations screen:

Yearbook Ariel.png screenshot0023.png screenshot0024.png

Last edited:

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: AlexMpog

BlasKyau

Devoted Member
Jun 26, 2018
Here’s a reply I just copy-pasted on Steam a few weeks ago:

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your frustration with the minigame feeling random and biased towards Millie.

Currently, the minigame uses 31 renders and is designed similarly to "Rock Paper Scissors" but with more complexity. While "Rock Paper Scissors" has 9 possible outcomes, the handball shootout has 25. The minigame UI is more customized compared to the standard "choice" UI used in "Rock Paper Scissors."

When designing the game, I intended for it to be fast-paced, requiring players to guess Millie's shot direction before she throws, similar to a realistic football/soccer penalty shot. Millie was meant to be superior to MC, reflecting her experience, but it's not impossible to win; I've done it countless times. For those who prefer to cheat, I've reintroduced Quick Save and Quick Load. However, I don't plan to add rollback for this minigame, as I believe some Steam achievements should be more challenging to obtain.

I've received feedback suggesting that we should provide a hint about Millie's shot direction and include a timer for players to react. While I agree, I've also heard that this solution doesn't work well for some players with disabilities who play Hardenville. This would require me to develop two different versions of the minigame.

In theory, I could spend a month creating an amazing handball minigame with animations and timed reaction events. However, I believe most players would prefer me to focus on other aspects of the game right now, such as Episode 2. I hope to revisit this idea closer to Hardenville's full release on Steam.
Is there a penalty for losing the minigame, or any benefit for winning it?

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Is there a penalty for losing the minigame, or any benefit for winning it?
There won’t be any future locked content for winning or losing, except for some dialogue references. If you beat Millie in the shootout, you’ll unlock 2 gallery images. If you defeat her 5-0, you’ll unlock an additional 2 gallery images.

metamorphMP

Jan 6, 2024
There won’t be any future locked content for winning or losing, except for some dialogue references. If you beat Millie in the shootout, you’ll unlock 2 gallery images. If you defeat her 5-0, you’ll unlock an additional 2 gallery images.
And also achievement on steam - for nerds like me :giggle:

BlasKyau

Devoted Member
Jun 26, 2018
Ok, I don't play to unlock images (I don't usually go in to look at them anyway), so I guess I won't be actively doing anything to win.

And also achievement on steam - for nerds like me :giggle:
Steam achievements aren't one of the things that I care about.

Reactions: SexyFeetLover

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
I am considering making a significant change to the menus to enhance user-friendliness. What are your thoughts?

Proposed new menu setup for the upcoming v0.2.3

Play
1. Continue - Continue the last saved file.
2. New - Start a brand new save game.
3. Load - Access saved games to load.
4. Save - Save your current progress. (Only displayed in game menu, not main menu)

Extras
1. Gallery - View unlocked images and artwork from the game.
2. Replay - Replay important or unlocked sequences from the game.
3. Soundtrack - Listen to the game's music playlist.
4. Enter Codes - Enter codes to unlock cheats or bonuses.

Options
1. Characters - Manage character names and relationships.
2. Preferences - Adjust game settings like fullscreen mode.
3. Languages - Change the game’s language.

Info
1. Check for Updates - Check if a new game version is available.
2. Patch Notes - View details of updates and changes in the game.
3. Controls - View input details and key bindings.
4. Credits - See the developers, contributors, and license information

All pages in the new upcoming version

screenshot0047.png screenshot0048.png screenshot0049.png screenshot0050.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

Current menu setup in v0.2.2

Home
2. Update Notes - View details of updates and changes in the game.

Play
4. Save - Save your current progress.

More
1. Codes - Enter codes to unlock cheats or bonuses.
2. Gallery - View unlocked images and artwork from the game.
3. Music - Listen to the game's music playlist.
4. Replay - Replay important or unlocked sequences from the game.
5. Residents & Relations - Manage character names and relationships.

Settings
1. Controls - Configure input settings and key bindings.
2. Credits - See the developers, contributors, and license information
4. Preferences - Adjust game settings like fullscreen mode.

Old for comparison

screenshot0002.png screenshot0001.png screenshot0003.png screenshot0004.png

Last edited:

JoyFI Games

Hardenville
Game Developer
May 9, 2022
Proposed new menu setup for the upcoming v0.2.3

Play
4. Save - Save your current progress. (Only displayed in game menu, not main menu)

Extras
1. Gallery - View unlocked images and artwork from the game.
2. Replay - Replay important or unlocked sequences from the game.
3. Soundtrack - Listen to the game's music playlist.
4. Enter Codes - Enter codes to unlock cheats or bonuses.

Options
1. Characters - Manage character names and relationships.
2. Preferences - Adjust game settings like fullscreen mode.

Info
2. Patch Notes - View details of updates and changes in the game.
3. Controls - View input details and key bindings.
4. Credits - See the developers, contributors, and license information

All pages in the new upcoming version

View attachment 3974777 View attachment 3974778 View attachment 3974779 View attachment 3974780
Does everyone agree with this setup? For example, should "Characters" (Residents & Relations) be placed in Extras instead, and "Controls" in Options?

Currently, the setup is designed so that only adjustable values are included in Options. "Controls" serves as a help guide for the controls, where no changes can be made.

3.90 star(s) 22 Votes