alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
So, all of those people who want those sounds are liking your comment then, since they are too shy to comment themselves?

There might be some others who want it too, my coder is one of them, but they are the silent minority (irony).

This "truth" you speak, is telling us that we want something we don't. Might as well be Hazel, telling us and the elves that we are all secretly worshipers of her god, but are lying to ourselves and others, because we want to sin. Gaius(sp) wrote his word on our hearts, so even if we had never heard of him before, we are really his followers, but just can't admit it.

There are many reasons why only a handful of games here have voices, but most of it boils down to it not being worth the time, cost, and space, for the few people who require such things. Most of us are either indifferent, realize the cost is too great, or prefer silence. In fact, many of us mute the audio that is already there, and consider that, more or less, a waste of resources.

I remember a ton of complaining on one game, when they decided to delay their update so they could add some basic audio. Few people wanted it, and those that did, didn't want to wait another month or so for that extra work to get finished. People generally care far more about a faster update, than they do hearing any audio.

Don't have one, I have 3 called input_code.rpyc though...
That complaining is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about that I don't want Harem Hotel or Runey to have to endure, as it is now, that doesn't have to happen. Unfortunately, it comes hand in hand with adding things that just aren't that popular, especially when the amount of actual story content being added is cut down during the implementation.

Oct 2, 2021
Alright I just finished my 17th or 18th run in this game (lost count is what I did)...

..and there's a lust event I can't trigger, or forgot how to.

It's with one of the main girls while I THINK Ashley is on one side of the bed, Lin on the other holding the MC down, and I forget if it's Kali or Maria that's actually getting the action. I know Maria's Floor exhibition and Bunny Waitress are her big ones, Kali's is Papa Ron's and the outdoor one where Kate jogs by.

It's bugging me that I can't trigger this one scene with all the girls completely maxed out on everything....

EDIT: Nevermind --- got it...was Maria in her Succubus outfit

Last edited:

Shadesishere

Modder
Dec 5, 2020
That was Maria in one of her bigger lust events, not Kali. Kali only wore her bunny suit for pizza delivery
ah, there we are, either way, now we need this for all the girls, Ashley would probably be an amusing one to watch, just know she would jump MC at the end of it... same for Kali.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
didn't we do this to Kali?
Yeah, with Maria, we made her serve in her bunny suit, with one vibrator. That is the lower level.

To kick it up a notch, we make her take off the part that covers her body, and give her 2 more vibrators. That would be ...the next level. ;)

Could also make Moon do this in her catgirl outfit.

- - -​

And as I have said before, I also want an event with Maria behind the bar, where we fuck her while she is working, and if she doesn't get anything wrong, she gets to cum, and if she messes up (gets an order wrong, breaks a glass, whatever), then she gets punished.

Nov 9, 2017
This is factually true. A number of studies have been done to prove this. I am also aware of a lot of anecdotal evidence of programmers including things like "If you read this far and email me I'll send you 100$" into their instructions. And nobody ever does.

For some reason people just don't read manuals EVER. Until they get lost and need to find a specific thing explained that is. Than they do, but they only ever flip to that page.
Well that is likely because many manuals were crap or insanely large tomes ("large enough to beat goats to death with" Yahtzee on The Witcher's manual). Heck, few modern programs even have manuals. (one of the reasons the Missing Manual series does so well) Got to itch.io and look at how few games have manuals. That alone should tell you something.

As for voices/sound that is my beef with Ravager - something is broken with the sound controls and you have to change the system volume not to get blasted in the ear if you are wearing earphones (I have even tried to build the game on my Mac from the PC code and have the same problem). It is the only Renpy game that I have played that has this problem so I know it is something with the code.

Another issue is, unless you and any friends are Mel Blanc clones and do other voices really well, you will have as Yahtzee put it 'Characters talking to themselves about the item they just bought from the shop run by themselves'

Last edited:

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
Yea, as far as voices are concerned my view is as follows.

Voices do definitively add to a game. Like, they do. No questions about it. A properly voiced game, and by that I mean voiced in ALL the dialogue and not just the sex scenes definitively stands out above others that are not. It adds a whole new layer of immersion to the whole experiance that you just don't get otherwise.

However, I do not think that voice acting is worth implementing at this stage of development just yet for a number of reasons.

1. Adding voices to just the sex scenes and not the dialogue is weird and I wouldn't do it. It's really an all or nothing deal. Same goes for only voicing some but not all characters or any other shortcut. It's an all or nothing deal. And that means it's a big cost in both money and time.

2. Finding voice actors is hard. Finding GOOD voice actors is harder. And even if you do they don't come cheap and you have to constantly be tied to their schedule and rates. None of which is conducive to your work schedule being smooth. A number of games I am following online have the issue of being constantly delayed because this or that voice actor couldn't show up or couldn't be found.

3. You have to lock down your dialogue. If every change requires rerecording the whole scene over again that is going to add up really quickly and slow things down to a grind. And the dev here loves to go back and fix old scenes.

So honestly, whilst I would not at all be opposed to adding voice acting to this game and indeed think it would contribute a lot to the experience I think it's something that should probably be done at the tail end of development when everything has been pretty much nailed down and you don't expect any major rewrites.

Hanny2000

Jun 16, 2020
He's asked it in 3 other threads I was reading. Along with that bloody image.
BADik, Ravager, CoBD and now here, too.
Oh & he also asked for incest patches/mods in What a Legend & A House In The Rift, neither of which have any family members.
Spam. :FacePalm:
Poor dude, I pity him.:cry:
But he should've started a conversation with any of you guys instead of posting in many threads.:lepew:

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018

Voices do definitively add to a game. Like, they do. No questions about it. A properly voiced game, and by that I mean voiced in ALL the dialogue and not just the sex scenes definitively stands out above others that are not. It adds a whole new layer of immersion to the whole experiance that you just don't get otherwise.
I want to add a disclaimer here, "Quality voice acting can add value to a game, in limited ways." But that is far from a guarantee, as good voice acting is hard to come by, especially in the adult industry, and if you don't like the voice acting, it really takes away from it.

Worse when it is the MC and the voice doesn't fit your concept or play style.

Hanny2000

Jun 16, 2020
I want to add a disclaimer here, "Quality voice acting can add value to a game, in limited ways." But that is far from a guarantee, as good voice acting is hard to come by, especially in the adult industry, and if you don't like the voice acting, it really takes away from it.

For me, I don't like voiced animation.
Because most of the time, I muted all sound.
Safe better than sorry.:LOL:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

However, I do not think that voice acting is worth implementing at this stage of development just yet for a number of reasons.

1. Adding voices to just the sex scenes and not the dialogue is weird and I wouldn't do it. It's really an all or nothing deal. Same goes for only voicing some but not all characters or any other shortcut. It's an all or nothing deal. And that means it's a big cost in both money and time.

2. Finding voice actors is hard. Finding GOOD voice actors is harder. And even if you do they don't come cheap and you have to constantly be tied to their schedule and rates. None of which is conducive to your work schedule being smooth. A number of games I am following online have the issue of being constantly delayed because this or that voice actor couldn't show up or couldn't be found.

3. You have to lock down your dialogue. If every change requires rerecording the whole scene over again that is going to add up really quickly and slow things down to a grind. And the dev here loves to go back and fix old scenes.

So honestly, whilst I would not at all be opposed to adding voice acting to this game and indeed think it would contribute a lot to the experience I think it's something that should probably be done at the tail end of development when everything has been pretty much nailed down and you don't expect any major rewrites.
Properly voiced games are good, yes, but then there's the issue of access to voice options and the money invoolved, a problem that is unique to small developers. To be properly voiced, there are multiple criteria.

A. The voice has to match as closely as possible to the face. This is a major issue in the dubs of anime because it is rare that this happens.

B. ALL lines have to be voiced. The Neptunia games run into this frequently where either one or both languages lack the voiced lines, usually English, less often Japanese, and always because meeting this criteria would overshoot the budget. You mentioned this in point #1 and I agree, if not ALL lines are voiced, it doesn't add to the game, now it detracts because it makes the game look unfinished.

C. The code has to be implemented properly to allow ONLY the voices to be lowered as needed. As someone here said, I may just be getting blind here, Ravager has this issue. Under absolutely no circumstances should the player have to lower their system sound to lower the specific sound they want to lower and under absolutely no circumstances should a player have to sacrifice, for example, the music volume to lower the voices.

D. Each character MUST be voiced either using the same person with a different voice being delivered by said person or using different people entirely. As you said in point #2, that can be extremely difficult, especially for small developers. This also makes adding voices detract from the game instead of add to it if the same person is voicing multiple or even every character and doesn't know how to change their voice to be as different as possible.

Responding to your remaining points not covered above:

3. Absolutely, one of the biggest mistakes you can make with voice implementation is to put yourself in a situation where you have to pay the person multiple times because you need to rehire them for a future session after having done one already. This can lead to a Neptunia situation, where not all lines get voiced because there isn't enough money in the budget to fund further voice work.

I am also not entirely opposed to the idea, but it has to be done right or not at all and, if it isn't done right, I will oppose it. Furthermore, sex sounds I DO completely oppose because, in my experience, they always sound like generic, prerecorded garbage from some open source library. This goes against criteria D as the developer has no control over who is voicing the character during sex scenes.

Definitely far from guaranteed, especially with a large and varied player base that may be majority against for all a developer knows. It is a major gamble with the life of the game on the line. The worst part is small developers don't really have quality to choose from. With quality comes increased cost, exponentially increased cost. Some of the big names can charge almost Hollywood level fees for their presence and there's no way small developers can take that big a risk, paying a huge amount potentially just to get backlash from the majority of players.

I would prefer larger updates without voices rather than smaller content updates with voices. I generally tend to mute all sound.
I don't mute, but I'm with you on the content amount. I like that we get as much as we do with Harem Hotel, but we won't continue getting that if voices are added, at least not for a while as Runey adds the code and coordinates with voices.

4.70 star(s) 451 Votes