freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
The story is incredible. As I said before everyone has a fleshed out feel; they aren't one/two dimensional character but ones you can relate to. You really feel the unfairness of the slave system when a secret unknown to even the character comes to light. There are sill a few hiccups such the android locking herself in her room but showing up with no one commenting on being glad to see her again. One thing that puzzles me as someone that actually worked in a hotel is why as the manager you don't have a pass key.
He does have a master key, but any android worth her salt can bypass the (assumed) electronic lock. :) No androids where you worked? :geek:

• Haha
Reactions: c3p0 and TheDevian

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
The story is incredible. As I said before everyone has a fleshed out feel; they aren't one/two dimensional character but ones you can relate to. You really feel the unfairness of the slave system when a secret unknown to even the character comes to light. There are sill a few hiccups such the android locking herself in her room but showing up with no one commenting on being glad to see her again. One thing that puzzles me as someone that actually worked in a hotel is why as the manager you don't have a pass key.
Thanks!
Any instances where any character shows up when they are "locked" in one way or another should be considered a bug. I've fixed a few in v0.14.1, but if you ever find any, please be sure to report it to me.

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
I think about games like Love of Magic in which I'd like to see so much more sex — I know it won't happen, because Droid wants his stories on a timer for fairly obvious gameplay reasons, but the ability to get either Emily or one of the Chosen into bed every night would've been so very welcome
Probably boarders on off-topic, so I will apologize in advance
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I agree though, I have no clue how anyone can think there is a lack of sex here.

Reactions: Segnbora

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Still, it's something I particularly appreciate about this game. Especially now, in the midst of a sort of OCD playthrough in which I'm maxing every available stat and playing every available non-story scene before advancing the story, I can go weeks of game time without interacting with core characters other than the one I'm currently focusing on. Inviting Lin, or Kali, or whoever to spend the night feels like making it up to them and reminding them that I care...even though they're pixels and code, and don't actually care. :ROFLMAO:

It is, frankly, something that should be standard — especially in almost any game with sandbox-style gameplay — and, thanks to this game, I'm much more aware of its absence elsewhere. If the MC is sexually active with someone and they're temporally available, why should the MC ever sleep alone? If I've gotten a blowjob from X, and there's no narrative reason why she'd object to another one, why should it be unavailable as a repeatable scene if our characters aren't doing anything else? It wouldn't even require that much work; Runey's created an array of unique scenes, which is fantastic, but less ambitious devs could just port an existing scene into a new environment. Re-lighting would be the majority of the work.

More generally, I'm one of the many, many people who are inherently suspicious of, and usually dislike, sandboxes. But why do people hate sandboxes? Because of the endless and frustrating hunting around for the one event hidden among 21 possible locations. Even now, most devs — even sophisticated and experienced devs...like, say, NLT — do a remarkably poor job of gesturing and hinting, viz "go there tomorrow afternoon" or "Janet's at the store right now." Whereas in this game, with the exception of very early days, there's always something to do, and most of it is consequential (stat-building or a sex/BDSM scene). There are non-consequential scenes as well, but dropping by the pizza place to say hi to Kali is far, far better than clicking on the pizza place on a city map and finding it empty. After the story itself, it's my absolute favorite feature of this particular game.

Last edited:

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
More generally, I'm one of the many, many people who are inherently suspicious of, and usually dislike, sandboxes. But why do people hate sandboxes? Because of the endless and frustrating hunting around for the one event hidden among 21 possible locations. Even now, most devs — even sophisticated and experienced devs...like, say, NLT — do a remarkably poor job of gesturing and hinting, viz "go there tomorrow afternoon" or "Janet's at the store right now." Whereas in this game, with the exception of very early days, there's always something to do, and most of it is consequential (i.e. stat-building). There are non-consequential scenes as well, but dropping by the pizza place to say hi to Kali is far, far better than clicking on the pizza place on a city map and finding it empty. After the story itself, it's my absolute favorite feature of this particular game.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I didn't want to add a map. There's usually no reason to be anywhere except the hotel, and the hotel acts as a hub for events rather than 'the place you wake up'. This sandbox also has smaller hubs within the hotel, which are each floor. Walking around also isn't a gameplay feature, so I try to minimize that as much as possible by directing you to exactly where you need to go. Less hints, more giant red circles.

I've also noticed that there are some time slots during the early days that require players to skip time simply because they don't know what else to do, and I would like to fix this in some way. I may add some random events in there.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I've also noticed that there are some time slots during the early days that require players to skip time simply because they don't know what else to do, and I would like to fix this in some way. I may add some random events in there.
Random events, or even just differentiated dialogue. If I knock on Kali's door without a story-advancing event available, and she says something different than she did yesterday when I did the same thing, that at least "feels" like a reward for spending the time slot on the interaction, even if nothing's actually changed.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
A potential error (meaning that I'm not sure it is):

I triggered the event in which Lin tosses Jin's drugs at me and says she wants to introduce her to real elves, after which we all go chat with the Sanctuary elves. Except that, while I have purchased them, I haven't yet visited or acknowledged them since the kidnapping scene. They haven't yet "arrived" and I can't, after the above-described scene, visit them because they're not yet at the hotel. I feel like I shouldn't be able to trigger that particular event until I've "met" the Sanctuary elves in their new roles.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorganMaximara

Omega Deose

Dec 24, 2018
i wanan load my lastest save game from the version befroe this but i awlays get this

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'sensitive'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "scripts/bar.rpyc", line 1603, in script call
File "scripts/bar.rpyc", line 3402, in script call
File "scripts/bar.rpyc", line 3519, in script call
File "scripts/bar.rpyc", line 3527, in script call
File "scripts/bar.rpyc", line 3502, in script call
File "scripts/lobby_script.rpyc", line 194, in script call
File "scripts/bar.rpyc", line 3527, in script call
File "scripts/bar.rpyc", line 3485, in script call
File "scripts/bar.rpyc", line 3536, in script call
File "scripts/side_char_events.rpyc", line 2182, in script call
File "scripts/side_char_events.rpyc", line 8843, in script
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 706, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1336, in say
who(what, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1139, in __call__
self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\character.py", line 842, in do_display
**display_args)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\character.py", line 591, in display_say
rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 295, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2699, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3191, in interact_core
self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2091, in draw_screen
renpy.config.screen_height,
File "render.pyx", line 546, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
File "render.pyx", line 247, in renpy.display.render.render
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 722, in render
surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
File "render.pyx", line 154, in renpy.display.render.render
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 722, in render
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Harem_Hotel-v0.14.1-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 683, in render
sensitive = renpy.python.py_eval(self.screen.sensitive, locals=self.scope)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'sensitive'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.2.320
Harem Hotel v0.14.1
Sat Dec 25 12:47:15 2021

dont tell em i have to start form teh beginning again

Nov 9, 2017
Thanks!
Any instances where any character shows up when they are "locked" in one way or another should be considered a bug. I've fixed a few in v0.14.1, but if you ever find any, please be sure to report it to me.
Well there is several where you want to talk to someone but when you click on the "talk" option you get 'you need to improve x's relationship' with no clue how to do that. Also you can't have actual conversions (raise relationship or similar) when the characters are in the Utility room which comes off as a little weird.

Regarding the android what I meant is that she physically locks herself in her room and when you try to enter you can't but after this and before she comes out she show up to help with the primitive robot and no one even comments on it. As the manager of the hotel you should have a master key (get into a room if someone is in trouble)

winterthor

Dec 22, 2021
Anyone who got unmodded v0.13.1 savefiles with everything completed to that point to start into v0.14.1? I like the story, but I am in no mood to replay it without mod... :rolleyes:

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
Well there is several where you want to talk to someone but when you click on the "talk" option you get 'you need to improve x's relationship' with no clue how to do that.
You have to level up that person's friendship.
the android what I meant is that she physically locks herself in her room and when you try to enter you can't but after this and before she comes out she show up to help with the primitive robot and no one even comments on it. As the manager of the hotel you should have a master key (get into a room if someone is in trouble)
He's got a master key, used it on Maria's room early. Android is linked to everything in the hotel, she can override him. That's how I understand it.

Reactions: Runey and TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
More generally, I'm one of the many, many people who are inherently suspicious of, and usually dislike, sandboxes. But why do people hate sandboxes? Because of the endless and frustrating hunting around for the one event hidden among 21 possible locations. Even now, most devs — even sophisticated and experienced devs...like, say, NLT — do a remarkably poor job of gesturing and hinting, viz "go there tomorrow afternoon" or "Janet's at the store right now." Whereas in this game, with the exception of very early days, there's always something to do, and most of it is consequential (stat-building or a sex/BDSM scene). There are non-consequential scenes as well, but dropping by the pizza place to say hi to Kali is far, far better than clicking on the pizza place on a city map and finding it empty. After the story itself, it's my absolute favorite feature of this particular game.
I am in the camp of preferring sandbox style games, but I can admit there are some really badly done ones out there. That said though, the same can be said for any style game, many games are just not that well done. Like with anything, you have to wade though a lot of crap to find gems like this.

I do agree, that even if you tell people exactly what to do in the dialogue, you need a good hint system, and you need to make sure you always have something to do in every time slot (if you have time slots). Any time the player has nothing to do, you have a fundamental breakdown.
One thing I would consider, is to have more things to do in some locations, like more interactions in the hotspring, including letting him relax. Let him take a shower, let Ellen and other side people take showers in other time slots, if no one is using it, he can. Ellen could unlock some things early on to give him something to do. Hell, these could be combined...

The MC could be showering, and Ellen or Lin could come in. Early events, they just leave embarrassed, after some stat goes up, or maybe just after it happens a few times, they start watching him, getting turned on, then then they get naked and offer to wash his back working into a handjob or something, and finally they have sex or something else if you prefer. This could have different girls depending on which time slot or day, you could either schedule it, like you do for the girls in the morning, or more like the utility room, where you could just check to see who is not busy, then randomly pick someone to show up. Lin or Android could come in to clean, Ellen or the others could either be helping the maids or have gotten dirty doing something, and need to clean up, something like that...

He could buy gifts for the girls and give it to them to spend a slot.

The dates should help some, same with the lobby events, maybe if no one is there, we could invite someone to watch tv with us, call them down, if they are home. If it is Lin or Android, you could tell them to take a break with you, if they are working.

Another early event could be you help Lin or Android in the kitchen when they are working for a point, could have a similar one with Ellen, where the MC helps her with some task for some extra money maybe. That would be helpful early on I would think.

Maybe we could buy an ice cream from ICVM-chan, and have the option to give one to one of the girls for points, and a nice heartwarming moment (unless you give them the cum one, then maybe a sexy moment, lol).

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Well there is several where you want to talk to someone but when you click on the "talk" option you get 'you need to improve x's relationship' with no clue how to do that. Also you can't have actual conversions (raise relationship or similar) when the characters are in the Utility room which comes off as a little weird.
Friendship is gained through story events.

Story events are usually played through * Talk * options on someones door.

Downtime for characters is intentional, it nudges the player towards doing other content instead of grinding one thing.

Regarding the android what I meant is that she physically locks herself in her room and when you try to enter you can't but after this and before she comes out she show up to help with the primitive robot and no one even comments on it. As the manager of the hotel you should have a master key (get into a room if someone is in trouble)
Primitive Robot?

MC has a master key, he's used it before.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Oh, in the more current updates, since Vanessa and the others are visiting the hotspring in the afternoon slot, maybe we could randomly catch one of them in the shower in the afternoon or evening too?

• Love
Reactions: imzahai
4.70 star(s) 449 Votes