Templar Knight

Feb 2, 2018
guys, it's been long time since i played, what is the better route for Sylvia and the other elf ninja girl ? love or slave ?

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
I'm sorry, Bud, but that is flat out wrong, copying the save folder over doesn't break anything, as long as you copy it to the right place (..\Harem_Hotel-vx.x.x-pc\game\saves). I always do it, because I delete the ones in the Appdata folder occasionally, and despise that they are there. I need space on my C:, but I have many, many TB on other drives to spare.

Even if you depend on the Appdata ones, it is still wise to keep a backup, in case of a system crash, or whatever other emergency might happen.

The only part of this that could cause a problem might be the 'persistent' file, if something major changes the settings or something, but that shouldn't (in theory) affect the saves. Or if the saves are really old, but that is not from copying, that is just an old save.
The average person isn't doing what you're doing, they're just copying a file from the old folder into the new folder. When they launch it, and the game tries to use the save from appdata, the game shows errors. It sounds like you're deleting the saves in appdata which prevents the error, but that's not a step people are taking here, nor is it necessary at all since renpy does this automatically.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
The average person isn't doing what you're doing, they're just copying a file from the old folder into the new folder. When they launch it, and the game tries to use the save from appdata, the game shows errors. It sounds like you're deleting the saves in appdata which prevents the error, but that's not a step people are taking here, nor is it necessary at all since renpy does this automatically.
If you copy it to the correct place, it looks at both, and shows you all of them. the only time it could be an issue is if not all of the save files are not the same, which should never happen, unless you saved in the same slot, but overwrote it somehow, but this is almost impossible to do in normal use. The appdata files and the save folder files are identical, you can copy them back and forth, without issue.

It might check the appdata first, but as long as there is one in either place, it will read it without issue.

I only delete the ones in the appdata occasionally, when I drive gets full or I just get a bug up my ass. The computer I am using now has almost 20k saves in the renpy appdata folder (hanve't cleaned it in a while), it is over 7gig, and all of those have duplicates in the game folder too. No matter what I do, deleat them or not, it never causes a problem. It is made to have them in both places.

The one in the appdata are not the main ones, and are not there to be the main use, it is there for backups, in case you mess up and delete the whole game folder without thinking.

It's made for this, so unless you put the folder in the wrong place or have two different saves in the same slot, it shouldn't matter either way.

It isn't necessary to copy them over, unless you have a windows crash, and lose your system, or the drive fails, or... How often do we have people come in here complaining that they lost their saves even with that backup system? I mean, many are lying, and just don't want to play, but still, I assume most are being honest.

Point it, it never hurts to have spares. Same reason I am on page 30something here on saves. You can't have too many spares.
Sierra On-Line Motto: Save Early, Save Often.

Reactions: freedom.call

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
I don't delete the appdata folder (for games I intend on playing again) and I also keep all my save folders in the folder I keep my games in.

My typical process when a game is updated is

1- Download it
2- Extract it to it's respective folder. So, for HH it's /games/harem hotel
3- Put the old save folder in the games game folder /games/harem hotel/whatever the game's folder is called/game/saves
4- Play game
5- After I'm done. I take the save folder out and delete the rest as to save space.

I've never ran into a problem. The only time when saves are incompatible, at least in my experience, is when devs change certain variables from earlier in the game or for really old saves. Sometimes devs change the name of the appdata folder too, which makes those saves not work I think. Also when games are split apart when they get too large, the saves sometimes aren't compatible with the new game.

Also, my games folder is on my desktop.

The person who posted about saves mentioned "patched all the way to 14.1". You don't need to patch to 14.1 Just download 14.1 and put your saves in. I suspect they probably overwrote 10.2 with 14.1, and that broke the saves.

It has nothing to do with the saves themselves. They just overwrote the game files, which usually breaks things.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I don't delete the appdata folder (for games I intend on playing again) and I also keep all my save folders in the folder I keep my games in.

My typical process when a game is updated is

1- Download it
2- Extract it to it's respective folder. So, for HH it's /games/harem hotel
3- Put the old save folder in the games game folder /games/harem hotel/whatever the game's folder is called/game/saves
4- Play game
5- After I'm done. I take the save folder out and delete the rest as to save space.

I've never ran into a problem. The only time when saves are incompatible, at least in my experience, is when devs change certain variables from earlier in the game or for really old saves. Sometimes devs change the name of the appdata folder too, which makes those saves not work I think. Also when games are split apart when they get too large, the saves sometimes aren't compatible with the new game.

Also, my games folder is on my desktop.

The person who posted about saves mentioned "patched all the way to 14.1". You don't need to patch to 14.1 Just download 14.1 and put your saves in. I suspect they probably overwrote 10.2 with 14.1, and that broke the saves.

It has nothing to do with the saves themselves. They just overwrote the game files, which usually breaks things.
Don't forget your screenshots. ;)

That is another good point, if they merged folders, that could cause a huge problem every time.
View attachment 1590869
I cant buy nia's supplies. I click it but not working
I assumed she asked for them already?

Last edited:

Crazy4Oreos

Apr 14, 2020
Well, Jin's are that not small after the fact, they are still on the upper end of the game. but I get it. lol
Just compared loads and it's nearly halved :( I don't like Kali as much as other characters so before these changes I thought the game was pretty balanced in its primary and side casts. It does feel like now, having been playing for the past few days, that the direction of the game might not be what I'm into. I miss the start of the game. I think I'll stop playing until the game's done and maybe a few mods are out lol

selius

Oct 7, 2017
so i gotta say i was not expecting to play this game for 15 hours hooked on the story

amazing writing. really. possibly one of the few harem games in existence where i like every single character.

i am a man who only likes gigantic stonkers, but my favorite character is ashley and it's by a very wide margin.

Sephiroth32

May 4, 2020
I need some help. I can't buy Nia's supplies. I have enough money to, she has asked me to, I know where they are, but clicking on the option on the PC does nothing. It just doesn't give me the option to buy them. Does anyone know a way to fix this? My last save us a long way back, so is there a console command or something I could use to obtain the supplies or move the story forward?

NVM as I was typing this out, I fixed the issue. There was a graphical glitch showing the supplies in one place, but having the actual button to buy them next to it.

Reactions: freedom.call

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
I need some help. I can't buy Nia's supplies. I have enough money to, she has asked me to, I know where they are, but clicking on the option on the PC does nothing. It just doesn't give me the option to buy them. Does anyone know a way to fix this? My last save us a long way back, so is there a console command or something I could use to obtain the supplies or move the story forward?

NVM as I was typing this out, I fixed the issue. There was a graphical glitch showing the supplies in one place, but having the actual button to buy them next to it.
Sorry about this, it will be fixed in the next update.

Reactions: TheDevian

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
so i gotta say i was not expecting to play this game for 15 hours hooked on the story

amazing writing. really. possibly one of the few harem games in existence where i like every single character.

i am a man who only likes gigantic stonkers, but my favorite character is ashley and it's by a very wide margin.
Some people are only interested in tits, some people come for the tits and for the story. Thanks :)

4.70 star(s) 449 Votes