Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
Ashley is an artificial blonde, so not sure if she counts, but Sylvia is definitely a blonde and so is Hana.
I 100% agree with you …I think I added an edit prior to your quote…

Blondes are blondes regardless if it comes from a bottle or not unless people are wanting the carpet to match the drapes but meh …whatever.

Hair colors have gradients and for blondes the lack of a“golden” bimbo blonde was a ridiculous example that I used … the “in game” girl that is the model for the lingerie (on the computer) is an illustration of what type of “golden“ blonde that isn’t included that could trigger a hater …

My main point was essentially that there will always be something for someone to bitch and whine about or to use for a reason to leave a meh review.

Ashley, Hana, are blonde.
Android, Ellen, and Emma are borderline somewhat
white(platinum), or even dirty blond but a valid case can be made that android is white and Ellen & Emma are both light brunettes…

Sylvia is most definitely very blonde but her attitude just removes her from “blonde” category (in my head) and places her into category of break her in dungeon which supersedes minor details like hair color ha ha ha.

However all 6 of the above listed girls aren’t the golden bimbo blonde of the lingerie model in Harem Hotel or of Felicia in Pale Carnations. Not that it maters one single iota but I’ve seen people whine (in reviews) for reasons even less important.

Reactions: alex2011

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018

Blondes are blondes regardless if it comes from a bottle or not unless people are wanting the carpet to match the drapes but meh …whatever.

Hair colors have gradients and for blondes the lack of a“golden” bimbo blonde was a ridiculous example that I used … the “in game” girl that is the model for the lingerie (on the computer) is an illustration of what type of “golden“ blonde that isn’t included that could trigger a hater …

My main point was essentially that there will always be something for someone to bitch and whine about or to use for a reason to leave a meh review.

white(platinum), or even dirty blond but a valid case can be made that android is white and Ellen & Emma are both light brunettes…

Sylvia is most definitely very blonde but her attitude just removes her from “blonde” category (in my head) and places her into category of break her in dungeon which supersedes minor details like hair color ha ha ha.

However all 6 of the above listed girls aren’t the golden bimbo blonde of the lingerie model in Harem Hotel or of Felicia in Pale Carnations. Not that it maters one single iota but I’ve seen people whine (in reviews) for reasons even less important.
I am not sure what a "blonde attitude" is, unless we're going back in time to strange stereotypes, but Sylvia, Emma and Felicity are natural blondes. Ellen and Ashley are not natural blondes. Android has white hair. The model is also not a natural blonde.

I know this isn't your main point, but I just wanted to clarify.

Last edited:

Corvus Belli

Nov 25, 2017
Yup! People need to play through and reach to the end of the game to see the good and bad of it before they should post a review
That's a terrible idea. If reviews are ONLY written by people who play through a whole game, then they'll only ever be positive. No-one who doesn't like a game is going to slog through it for dozens of hours (since they don't like it), meaning the only people who play through a game are people who, to a greater or lesser extent, enjoyed it. The end result would be that reviews would be written only by people who all ostensibly agree with one another, which somewhat defeats the point of a review.

My current run is over 41 hours long. After that much time invested I can give a review and say if I liked the game or not.
No-one who doesn't like a game is going to be playing it for 40 hours. The entire point of "I don't enjoy thing X" is that thing X isn't worth your time.

Reactions: JimmyJazz69

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
How much of that was spent AFK? even if half thast is still impressive. If none you deserve a verry deep salutation with a removed hat. And also I must revew my bas habits of leting games run while doing something else.
While there is a decent bit of that, thanks to me multitasking, and playing while I wait on renders and what not, most of that was spend grinding stats, and redoing some things for ...fun. XD
No-one who doesn't like a game is going to be playing it for 40 hours. The entire point of "I don't enjoy thing X" is that thing X isn't worth your time.
While that is true, to some extent, it's like basing your review on the tutorial, or the opening cinematics. Don't get me wrong, there are times when basing your opinion on a game on something short like that is justified, like my disabled ass not being able to do the combat in The Witcher, and not being able to even finish the tutorial (or just not liking a game's art style, someone's bad writing, or whatever). That said, I did not go out and write shitty reviews of it, I just said 'this is not for me' and moved on with my life. It is a very popular game, but it is not one I can even physically play.

In the case of HH here, it is basing it on the intro, the standard trope of inheriting property from a dead family member, where you move to a new place to restart your life. You can't really give a good review of a game, when you haven't even seen the plot. It is like reviewing a movie based on the opening credits. Sure, there might be things you really don't like in that first few moments, but it's not really a fair review. It could be they were doing that for effect, and made up for it in some way right after you walked out of the theater, and and you end up missing out on what would otherwise have been a great film.

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
I am not sure what a "blonde attitude" is, unless we're going back in time to strange stereotypes, but Sylvia, Emma and Felicity are natural blondes. Ellen and Ashley are not natural blondes. Android has white hair. The model is also not a natural blonde.

Appreciate the added info …

BIG CORRECTION - when I said Felicity I meant Sylvia … probably every time.
my major screw up … the names got cross wired …in my head …. Sorry.

With regards to Felicity and her attitude … it’s how you excellently wrote her…with attitude (hair color didn’t matter) (Felicity has become a GOOD GIRL now)

IMO Sylvia is the one that needs mind breaking the dungeon …
Sylvia’s attitude is like OG Felicity but 10x more annoying … (more good writing)
So when she becomes a “good girl” via whatever method it will be so much more satisfying.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Runey and TheDevian

Greyskye

Jun 8, 2021
Been a minute since I was around. Caught up to the itch.io version of the game. I really like what you've done with Android. Her storyline hit hard on the absent but loving father/creator part, I haven't seen something like that explored in many stories and it was done well, and now moving toward some kind of benevolent AI race and the issues with creating something incredibly dangerous but trying to orient it toward good is quite enjoyable.

You might enjoy this channel on youtube, it talks about that stuff a lot and is pretty insightful:

Lin, Kali, and the Twins seem to be expanding their storyline pretty naturally, and I'm interested to see where you are going with Kali and her sister. Seems like a kind of sisterdom/head wife situation which could be quite fun on the ero game side of things. Her activist classmate has also pulled back the crazy enough to be more tolerable as a person. I still can't say I have any affection for her, but I've warmed enough that I could see hanging out with her willingly, and don't have to grit my teeth through her dialogue. Lin's sister seems to be going a bit bland though, I hope you throw in some kind of curveball on her new personality so she doesn't just become Tall Lin. Nia investing in non-lethals was a good addition as well, considering the rules the MC has for staying with them. The Twins are probably the most enjoyable characters from the standpoint of ero game at this point in the story, they seem like girlfriends rather than comrades-in-arms.

The rest have leaned into more serious storylines and away from the casual fun of the early game, which is where I think some of your other commenters are feeling the divide. There is a sizeable gap between the serious material of the story outside the hotel and the light-hearted and odd-family oriented environment inside it, that dominated the early game where you spend almost all your time inside it.

I'm not really sure how to divide those two, myself. The radical from the lawful citizen and businessman...

Actually as I write that, it occurs to me that the MC and Lin storyline does have a significant historical parallel in Thomas Jefferson.

He was a business owner and man of international import, someone who moved the world (though the MC here is less active in his fame, kind of stumbling into it). He was also a man who condemned slavery and tried to have it explicitly forbidden in the country on several occasions, but was blocked by national politics and instead shifted tactics to make changes to the law in his home state where he had more power.

He was also a man who had six children with his wife until she died of an illness, then six more after that with her half-sister who was a slave who lived in their home as a maid. The parallels there are considerable, including taking her on vacations to foreign lands where she was technically free and took classes, but still stayed with him willingly and returned to her homeland. He made an agreement with her there that he would see their children freed, and he kept it.

He also owned a great many slaves at Monticello, which seems contradictory, but since freeing them would mean setting them out in a world where they weren't able to function in any way because of the cultural norms, you have a parallel to your Maria storyline. He set up a "village" of sorts inside Monticello, with a homemade currency that was paid out for work and could be spent in the general store that his family kept stocked, the blacksmith, seamstress, candlemaker, etc. Like an island inside a hostile country.

That might reconcile it. The MC participates in the revolution, but his primary mission is to keep the people under his care safe and in an environment where they can exist like normal people. Holding the hostile culture outside its walls at bay with the privileges and resources at his command.

And the game could expand gradually from there, increasing the resources under his control, through the girls, allowing him to make bigger and bigger changes. But not so much as a bloody revolutionary, but as a "world builder" making a better world inside their own corrupt culture that the people can't help but see as better.

lol, I came here to give a short note of encouragement and it turned into that. Still, a fun thought exercise. I think that's why I like your game. Makes me think and engage in "what if" scenarios.

Cheers!

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
So, borderline OT, but Lin can complain if she want.
So fair, it isn't wise to base your desiscion on if this game is worth a play on reviews, tags, OP or even the title.
  • Reviews tend often to be based on a short game period. Also the negativ reviews, like others written, can be entirely motivated by some things that the one dislike. Good reviews can also be based solely on the opinion of this game have potential.
  • Tags, even if the game would be tag correctly and the tags would be used correctly, they don't really help - at least me. And for tags that could helped the system would need to be expand a lot. Even then a game with all the "right" tags doesn't need to be the "right" one for me and vice versa.
  • OP are often, but not here, outdated. Pictures are old and even then are only a glimes for the game. If nothing is shown that is a show-stopper, then it adds not much to it. Even if its show something ugly, it could be optional. Tags and future tags doesn't describe if the game is good or not, only the content of it. The few lines from the dev about the game often doesn't help either. For the widespread stories, what is the use of the 9001 incest father-daughter based game or the next Big Brother clone? And even if you are speicific it doesn't say anything about quality at all too.
  • Titles aren't helpfull at all, with some small exceptions. Even then titles are only words and not the (whole) game and can, even more than tags, be misleading.
If you're happy to have game that are personaly recommended to you, then the chance that this game is something for you is higher than otherwise.

TL;DR: I don't know a good way to find a good game. My conclusion is, look at the OP, the game thread (and the reviews) and then it is try and error.

For Harem Hotel: Someday I've stumbled over it. Looked at the OP and catch my interest, dowloaded it (version 0.6 or earlier, perhaps even 0.4/0.3) and doesn't let it go.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

Definitely, the entire human race will never be simultaneously satisfied, so might as well go for the largest group that would be by the product being put out.

That's a terrible idea. If reviews are ONLY written by people who play through a whole game, then they'll only ever be positive. No-one who doesn't like a game is going to slog through it for dozens of hours (since they don't like it), meaning the only people who play through a game are people who, to a greater or lesser extent, enjoyed it. The end result would be that reviews would be written only by people who all ostensibly agree with one another, which somewhat defeats the point of a review.

If a person goes through the game to the end, they won't necessarily have their opinion changed and it is a good thing when their opinion does change, but there are also some people who won't change even at the end of content. It actually takes effort to change opinions and even effort doesn't always work. Reviews would not all be in agreement that the game is good just because they all played, what would change in cases of particularly stubborn opinions is these people would actually be able to form valid criticisms that Runey can take into account in future updates. You cannot form valid opinions within the short amount of time it takes to form a first impression, which are formed as soon as the brain has something to interpret, so literally the main menu or the first few words, not even five minutes into the game, would have the brain forming an opinion.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Been a minute since I was around. Caught up to the itch.io version of the game. I really like what you've done with Android. Her storyline hit hard on the absent but loving father/creator part, I haven't seen something like that explored in many stories and it was done well, and now moving toward some kind of benevolent AI race and the issues with creating something incredibly dangerous but trying to orient it toward good is quite enjoyable.

You might enjoy this channel on youtube, it talks about that stuff a lot and is pretty insightful:
Thanks for the feedback.

I've watched this guy before, but not this video. I'll take a look.

Lin's sister seems to be going a bit bland though, I hope you throw in some kind of curveball on her new personality so she doesn't just become Tall Lin.
I'm sure you'll enjoy what I've added to her in v0.15

The rest have leaned into more serious storylines and away from the casual fun of the early game, which is where I think some of your other commenters are feeling the divide. There is a sizeable gap between the serious material of the story outside the hotel and the light-hearted and odd-family oriented environment inside it, that dominated the early game where you spend almost all your time inside it.

I'm not really sure how to divide those two, myself. The radical from the lawful citizen and businessman...
There is no divide, not how I see it. The casual and serious aspects are one in the same for Harem Hotel. I write stories like a roller coaster, I want it to be a fun ride and I want to keep you entertained for the full ride. This means highs and lows. Once you experience something more laid back, you can expect things to start ramping up (Like in Kali's story, and F&E). And the opposite is true as well, like for Ashley and Android who are getting more casual events now. (Android's newest event in v0.15 is quite wholesome).

lol, I came here to give a short note of encouragement and it turned into that. Still, a fun thought exercise. I think that's why I like your game. Makes me think and engage in "what if" scenarios.

Cheers!
I appreciate it :)

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for the feedback.

I've watched this guy before, but not this video. I'll take a look.

I'm sure you'll enjoy what I've added to her in v0.15

There is no divide, not how I see it. The casual and serious aspects are one in the same for Harem Hotel. I write stories like a roller coaster, I want it to be a fun ride and I want to keep you entertained for the full ride. This means highs and lows. Once you experience something more laid back, you can expect things to start ramping up (Like in Kali's story, and F&E). And the opposite is true as well, like for Ashley and Android who are getting more casual events now. (Android's newest event in v0.15 is quite wholesome).

I appreciate it :)
While I don't see the issue with it, I do have to agree there is a divide. From a writing standpoint, that isn't necessarily a bad thing as what you were doing here was establishing the setting before actually getting into the plot, which is how writing should be done. The only problem I see, and please nobody take this the wrong way, is a divide between expectation and reality. People took the initial setup that was all happy and about life at the hotel as the way things were always going to be. First of all, that obviously wasn't the plan and second that would get repetitive REAL fast. This game would not have the following it does if it stayed the same as the first portion. It evolved into so much more.

Honestly, and again please don't take this the wrong way Runey, I would not have even considered supporting the game if it had stayed in that first section that was just about the hotel and its tenants. I may not be a supporter at the moment, but literally the only thing holding me back from that is my own personal situation, you've already earned my support as I said a while back. It was BECAUSE of this overarching plot with the Elves and the slave trade in Syl'anar and all that that I even considered supporting, those wouldn't have existed without this supposed divide. You've shown me you deserve to be supported, which, again because of my personal situation and the restrictions I have to place on what I can support, is no easy task.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Definitely, the entire human race will never be simultaneously satisfied, so might as well go for the largest group that would be by the product being put out.

If a person goes through the game to the end, they won't necessarily have their opinion changed and it is a good thing when their opinion does change, but there are also some people who won't change even at the end of content. It actually takes effort to change opinions and even effort doesn't always work. Reviews would not all be in agreement that the game is good just because they all played, what would change in cases of particularly stubborn opinions is these people would actually be able to form valid criticisms that Runey can take into account in future updates. You cannot form valid opinions within the short amount of time it takes to form a first impression, which are formed as soon as the brain has something to interpret, so literally the main menu or the first few words, not even five minutes into the game, would have the brain forming an opinion.
Yeah, opinions will always vary on everything, as we all have different tastes.

All reviews, especially the professional ones, need to be taken with a grain of salt, because even when trying to be unbiased, your preferences can't be avoided, no matter how objective you think you are being.

I am actually surprised here, based on her eyebrows and pubic hair, I had assumed that Ellen was natural.

Last edited:

Corvus Belli

Nov 25, 2017
In the case of HH here, it is basing it on the intro
There's only one negative review in the first page of Reviews for this game, and it doesn't say it's based on just the intro. It says there was "a short introduction for the setup, and basically nothing beyond that" and it mentions the introduction of new residents being far too short, which implies they played at least long enough to see Ashley and Maria join the Hotel. Their impression may be one I disagree with, but lets not pretend that it's based on something analogous to a movies opening credits.

Reviews would not all be in agreement that the game is good just because they all played
It takes about 20 hours to "finish" this game. No-one who thinks it's not enjoyable is going to spend two or three days playing it to completion. So, if reviews are only written by people who completed the game, they'd all be written by people who found it AT LEAST enjoyable enough to invest multiple days into. Which means that, yes, they would all be in agreement that the game is good; they might disagree on what makes it enjoyable, or about its weaknesses, or about how they'd like to see it progress, but they'd all agree that it was worth playing.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
There's only one negative review in the first page of Reviews for this game, and it doesn't say it's based on just the intro. It says there was "a short introduction for the setup, and basically nothing beyond that" and it mentions the introduction of new residents being far too short, which implies they played at least long enough to see Ashley and Maria join the Hotel. Their impression may be one I disagree with, but lets not pretend that it's based on something analogous to a movies opening credits.

It takes about 20 hours to "finish" this game. No-one who thinks it's not enjoyable is going to spend two or three days playing it to completion. So, if reviews are only written by people who completed the game, they'd all be written by people who found it AT LEAST enjoyable enough to invest multiple days into. Which means that, yes, they would all be in agreement that the game is good; they might disagree on what makes it enjoyable, or about its weaknesses, or about how they'd like to see it progress, but they'd all agree that it was worth playing.
They don't have to play the whole thing, but playing only five minutes, or worse only enough for a first impression, doesn't lead to a proper review with things that Runey can take back into his development cycle, which is part of what the reviews are for, though that would not be the case if this site didn't have the actual developers coming here for many projects. If anything, playing for such a short amount of time skews said review like eating before a blood test you were supposed to fast for.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018

There's really no point in dragging this on. The review in question is the latest review on this thread.

I'd say 20 hours is very generous, it probably takes closer to twice that, but I don't expect everyone who reviews to finish this game. I do however expect them to play more than the first 5 minutes. Again, you can't judge star wars on the opening exposition. You can say you don't like it, but it's not fair at all to judge the whole series based on moving text.

4.70 star(s) 452 Votes