Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
On another note, I just got confirmation that the mods of this website see First Impressions (of the first 5 minutes of a game no less) as legit reviews. This makes no sense to me. A first impression cannot possibly stand for the whole game, or any form of media. A first impression is just that, a first impression. Not a review.

Imagine reviewing Star Wars over the opening exposition, or a burger over just the bun. Ridiculous to me. I want feedback and criticism. I can't do anything based on a first impression, it has zero value to anyone. There's no way I could possibly improve off this.

It's one thing to say "I disliked the first 5 minutes", and another to say "I've only played the first 5 minutes so everything else is bad too." The former is fine.

Last edited:

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
On another note, I just got confirmation that the mods of this website see First Impressions (of the first 5 minutes of a game no less) are legit reviews. This makes no sense to me. A first impression cannot possibly stand for the whole game, or any form of media. A first impression is just that, a first impression. Not a review.

Imagine reviewing Star Wars over the opening exposition, or a burger over just the bun. Ridiculous to me. I want feedback and criticism. I can't do anything based on a first impression, it has zero value to anyone. There's no way I could possibly improve off this.
I'm not surprised though... the mods not giving a shit is a staple of this website....

Best thing you can do is just ignore the "5 minute" reviews.
What this website would need is a complete overhaul of the review system.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
On another note, I just got confirmation that the mods of this website see First Impressions (of the first 5 minutes of a game no less) as legit reviews. This makes no sense to me. A first impression cannot possibly stand for the whole game, or any form of media. A first impression is just that, a first impression. Not a review.

It's one thing to say "I disliked the first 5 minutes", and another to say "I've only played the first 5 minutes so everything else is bad too." The former is fine.
While don't get me wrong, there are some criticisms one could make in the first 5 min of a game that could be useful, if you can critique the art or you don't like the writing style, there are things that could be said, but this game is so long that you can't even consider a proper review.

Though as far as your burger analogy, I would say it is more like basing it on the wrapper, or maybe the sticker they used to hold the ticket to the wrapper. lol

There are some people that come back and update their reviews, but that is still shitty. I got death wishes once over a story I was writing, but what bothered me was that they wouldn't even bother to tell me what it was they didn't like!

This is still one of the best games on this site to me, and you are one of my favorite devs on here, due to how active you are here, and willing to engage people, discuss the lore, and those rare shortcomings. It's not worth letting it get to you, there will always be assholes.

Strike-10

Jan 19, 2022
On another note, I just got confirmation that the mods of this website see First Impressions (of the first 5 minutes of a game no less) as legit reviews.
I substitute “opinion” for “review” for all intensive purposes … granted it probably is less than ideal for you especially if you are trying to improve ranking. I have faith in your product and a couple meh reviews shouldn’t set you back much … However I feel your frustrations!

I bet you have a few bad reviews somewhere because you use HS or because sandbox or because no blondes in HH (other than the store model on the computer) … and the X reviewer just dinged you because they are narrow minded twits.

On a side note …most of the time if I moderately dislike something I rarely bother to review it … My reviews are mostly for things I love or things I hate & the things I hate have to have seriously flawed problems before I leave THAT review.

*edit* there ARE blondes (somewhat) Ashley & Hana & TV Elf Sylvia?? even mgr milf …(I’m struggling remembering names) … but no SUPER BLONDE blondes like the store model (was the intention of my comment) mostly to illustrate that there are lots of random reasons for people to be pissy for no good reason …silly snowflakes.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

thevoid089

Forum Fanatic
Jan 29, 2020

It's sad really, lot of games here got bad reviews despite the game only still in demo or alpha stage and even when it got improved overtime the users never bother to go back and edit those posts which is pretty shitty. But don't let those reviews get to you but let the people that willing to check out the game throughout to be the judge, and as time goes by you got lot of supporters is a solid proof that Harem hotel is a great game

tonnybn

Aug 7, 2020
I want to download the "chill city" soundtrack.

It makes me feel good playing this game :))

We are an english forum, therefore please write you post in english.
And machine translated:
Chúng tôi là một diễn đàn tiếng Anh, vì vậy xin vui lòng viết cho bạn bài viết bằng tiếng Anh.
Sorry about the language problem

Reactions: c3p0

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Most reviews on this site are terrible. I understand not liking the negative ones, but they didn't break any of the review rules. And besides that, this game is very popular. People aren't going to not play the game because of a couple poor reviews, this isn't a new game that is more susceptible to negative reviews. The overall rating nearly 300 reviews in is 4.8, which is in the top 10 overall by weighted rating.

People who review games on here generally aren't going to play a lot before they review if they dislike it. To me, that is no different than reviewing a .1 game and giving 5 stars because of it's perceived potential and never bothering to update it for later versions. Both are inaccurate. The 5min play of a 10 hour game is inaccurate because it misses 99% of the content. A 5 star review of a .1 game that is now 10 updates deep is also inaccurate because it misses 99% of the content.

TLDR: Most reviews have little to no value. So it's best to ignore them.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

Especially with how the human mind works. A first impression doesn't even take five minutes, the human mind makes an impression within the first few moments, literally seconds or less, of seeing something. Those impressions could be totally wrong and could have been made upon first sight of anything in the game and, if the person is a particularly stubborn one in terms of how hard it is to change their view of something, that first impression could be long lasting or even permanent, permanently tainting their view and resulting in potentially unfair reviews.

I'm not surprised though... the mods not giving a shit is a staple of this website....

Best thing you can do is just ignore the "5 minute" reviews.
What this website would need is a complete overhaul of the review system.
Runey seeing them probably isn't the problem, it's potential players or even potential patrons if I had to guess at what he meant, who don't always have the judgement to be able to just ignore terrible quality reviews that don't get written based on the whole experience.

I substitute “opinion” for “review” for all intensive purposes … granted it probably is less than ideal for you especially if you are trying to improve ranking. I have faith in your product and a couple meh reviews shouldn’t set you back much … However I feel your frustrations!

I bet you have a few bad reviews somewhere because you use HS or because sandbox or because no blondes in HH (other than the store model on the computer) … and the X reviewer just dinged you because they are narrow minded twits.

On a side note …most of the time if I moderately dislike something I rarely bother to review it … My reviews are mostly for things I love or things I hate & the things I hate have to have seriously flawed problems before I leave THAT review.

*edit* there ARE blondes (somewhat) Ashley & Hana & TV Elf Sylvia?? even mgr milf …(I’m struggling remembering names) … but no SUPER BLONDE blondes like the store model (was the intention of my comment) mostly to illustrate that there are lots of random reasons for people to be pissy for no good reason …silly snowflakes.
Ashley is an artificial blonde, so not sure if she counts, but Sylvia is definitely a blonde and so is Hana.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
I can only give '5 minute reviews' if I don't like the game at all and when I don't like the game at all I don't say anything whatsoever. What's the point?

I never give reviews anyway but I don't post if I don't like, no one cares if someone doesn't like something.

Sorry for the long post, I got carried away. :geek:

• Haha

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
I can only give '5 minute reviews' if I don't like the game at all and when I don't like the game at all I don't say anything whatsoever. What's the point?

I never give reviews anyway but I don't post if I don't like, no one cares if someone doesn't like something.

Sorry for the long post, I got carried away. :geek:
Writing a "5 minute review" is still lazy in my opinion.

My current run is over 41 hours long. After that much time invested I can give a review and say if I liked the game or not.

Most people can't even download the whole game in 5 minutes to begin with, so they spent more time downloading the game than playing it. Seems like a waste of time to me.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018

My current run is over 41 hours long. After that much time invested I can give a review and say if I liked the game or not.

Most people can't even download the whole game in 5 minutes to begin with, so they spent more time downloading the game than playing it. Seems like a waste of time to me.
Of course it's lazy and useless and pointless, is it a problem though? Good games prevail, like this one.

thevoid089

Forum Fanatic
Jan 29, 2020

Yup! People need to play through and reach to the end of the game to see the good and bad of it before they should post a review, not just that but need to be honest and constructive criticise the strong and weak point of the game that you found and what you want to see improve/change. That would make the review worth a read and have actual value points
I played lot of games on the site up until now but even I rarely to post a review unless I really think it worth a review and always tried my best to bring out the good of it and why I believe people should play this game. Most of the time I just post a comment about the good/bad, what system need to be improve and what content/kink I want to see and always ended with wishing the dev the best with his game to encouraging him to work hard. People need motivation and kind words doesn't cost money anyway, not post things like "arts too ugly, boobs too big, body proportions is wrong"... just to shit on them without any helpful advice

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018

41 hours, yeah, now that is a good 'first impression' of the game! You are starting to get into now now! XD

4.70 star(s) 452 Votes