torresm

Apr 5, 2020
What was the purpose of building a garden? Lin mentioned that she wants a garden, but after building it I have no special interactions there. Well, repeatable interactions.
I have to agree on this one. For something that's there since early on, the garden sees so little use

what happened to mod?
Creator is currently away taking care of his health, probably won't be back soon.

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
Harem Hotel is more of a visual novel, and not a game, so it cannot be treated as a game, but more of as a story, with game elements included.
Game mechanics do not apply here.
This is a work in progress, so not all elements/features are available yet.
Click below to see more responses.

2 - I expected my income to drop, since most of my residents are living for free. Ashley, Emma, Felicity, Maria - lost their income for different reasons. But hotel stays profitable somehow.

The bar makes money, which allows you to stay in business without apparently losing money

3 - Game menu has a counter for lust. Like 4/9. But it doesnt explain anything. In my experience girl may increase lust after we had sex in the dungeon, even if she had orgasm. And some girls dont have lust. Maybe its not implemented yet. But its strange when an android has it but two cheerleaders dont.

It is implemented, but not universally available to all girls yet.
Might be planned for the future, after planned future events.

Effect of a maxed out lust and denying orgasms?? Let it build up as high as it can go, and eventually you will get a nice surprise.
It would not be a nice surprise, if you were warned about it.
This falls under it being a visual novel.
You are not intentionally warned of upcoming surprise events in a book.

4 - Progress bars hide their description after I had 1 point of progress. I cant tell the difference between cumslut and cumdump without guessing.

That may be an issue with your system and the game.
I can see which is which on mine.
I have to agree on this one. For something that's there since early on, the garden sees so little use

Harem Hotel is still a work in progress, so not all features/events are available yet, like they would be in the finished product.
It's construction was needed for earlier events, but more are planned for the future, and will be added when the dev is ready to install those future events.

Things like this will happen when you interact with games/visual novels that are not yet completed.

Creator is currently away taking care of his health, probably won't be back soon.

He was diagnosed with cancer and is getting chemo, so it will be a while before he can get back to working on mods.
And since he made mods for multiple games, it could be a long while...

Last edited:

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
1 - Delivery job is mentioned by Ellen on the first day. But its not located on the map. I had to explore all the city for a few days, until I randomly had an event in a bowling club. I already thought its some kind of bug or unimplemented feature, when I foud it. So my first delivery was to bring a box of drugs to some criminal in the slum, instead of legal daily job.
Not saying your take is incorrect - it is however a new feature added in v16 and that specific job you're referring to isn't even the actual daily job. So it sounds like a little more guidance is necessary to make that more of an obvious difference. There is a daily delivery job and I think it is still at the bowling alley given by the bartender - but I don't recall it ever being specifically a drug running job. Again, new feature but this can give Runey some feedback to help improve it.

2 - I expected my income to drop, since most of my residents are living for free. Ashley, Emma, Felicity, Maria - lost their income for different reasons. But hotel stays profitable somehow.
Story related but as you get going, each girl finds their own little side gigs to do work. Emma/Felicity do some weird instagram with their cat that makes a little income. Maria bartends. Ashley was getting money from her mom early game but after their last falling out I'm not sure how that goes -- either way, there are little things going on mentioned in the story for them. From a story flowing perspective you don't really gain that knowledge until you're a chunk into said storyline.

3 - Game menu has a counter for lust. Like 4/9. But it doesnt explain anything. In my experience girl may increase lust after we had sex in the dungeon, even if she had orgasm. And some girls dont have lust. Maybe its not implemented yet. But its strange when an android has it but two cheerleaders dont.
I honestly forgot gaining lust through basic sex options. You're right - it increases through sex related activities and when it reaches certain mile stone markers it triggers a mini-event where you can make the girl orgasm or deny it, which either increases the bar or resets it depending on your choice. Events increase as the bar increases.

I'm not even sure how you could organically explain that feature without it being a specific tutorial. Personal preference, I like it when the characters explain certain things vs having a big popup that tells you.

4 - Progress bars hide their description after I had 1 point of progress. I cant tell the difference between cumslut and cumdump without guessing.
Yup, not a fan of this either. Having played for a long time, the only thing I watch for is if the bar is maxed out or not - any titles along the way I just ignore.

5 - Some hotel upgrades are badly described. Did I have to purchase all music for the bar or it has no effect on income? There was also no description for sanctuary, before I had enough money to buy it.
Sanctuary is explained in the story - you're given specific money to buy it for the express purpose of saving elves by Kali's parents. I agree on the bar upgrades - I don't know which influence $$ and which don't - I'm just in the habit of buying everything, but I always buy the music last.

Just a nit-pick, but the garden isn't all that old in relation to the game. Runey has expressed that he wants to add the option of growing things that will act as another source of income and/or lust plants(if I remember correctly). Not sure if those things are still in the table, but the garden has been used in more recent story updates.

NeonSelf Appreciate the feedback. I do get the feeling you've missed on some details due to the story, but if that isn't your jam, then I get it.

Harem Hotel is an adult visual novel, not a game. We know this because Runey, the developer, describes it as a visual novel
Does the Itch.IO description match the front page description? If it doesn't perhaps we could request an edit so more folks know what they're getting into.

Reactions: TheDevian

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
5 - story UI is lacking. - When I had to pay for something - I dont know how much money I have. Money panel is shown only when game is in sandbox mode.
The rest has been addressed in one way or another, but to be fair, the UI has undergone a couple of revamps, and he is working on another new one, that should help, including a phone and calendar.
what happened to mod?

Reactions: pgm_01 and rbs305

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
Not saying your take is incorrect - it is however a new feature added in v16 and that specific job you're referring to isn't even the actual daily job. So it sounds like a little more guidance is necessary to make that more of an obvious difference. There is a daily delivery job and I think it is still at the bowling alley given by the bartender - but I don't recall it ever being specifically a drug running job. Again, new feature but this can give Runey some feedback to help improve it.
The drug delivery is a unique quest in slums. You have to find a hidden box behind the blue trash container and then deliver it to the drugdealer or to the police.

Sanctuary is explained in the story - you're given specific money to buy it for the express purpose of saving elves by Kali's parents. I agree on the bar upgrades - I don't know which influence $$ and which don't - I'm just in the habit of buying everything, but I always buy the music last.
I've got $10.000 from Kali's father after buying the sanctuary and all the rebeling elves. If I knew that I will have a ton of money just around the corner it would be not so bad. But I had to grind money by selling pictures every day for a few months. It was insanely boring. And BTW, starting a new *Talk* doesnt feel safe, after you loose one of your girls spontaneously. So I didnt progress the story until I have done everyting I could to prepare for unexpected problems.

I've done Kali's quest last since I'm not into girls wearing glasses. Just a personal preference.

Last edited:

torresm

Apr 5, 2020
Just a nit-pick, but the garden isn't all that old in relation to the game. Runey has expressed that he wants to add the option of growing things that will act as another source of income and/or lust plants(if I remember correctly). Not sure if those things are still in the table, but the garden has been used in more recent story updates.
Oh, I meant early in the playthrough, not the development cycle. I'm quite new around here, only started playing around 0.14 iirc, I wouldn't know when it was added. lol
But yeah, if the garden growing is intended to be an early source of income then it makes sense to have it available as a Day 1 upgrade.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Oh, I meant early in the playthrough, not the development cycle. I'm quite new around here, only started playing around 0.14 iirc, I wouldn't know when it was added. lol
But yeah, if the garden growing is intended to be an early source of income then it makes sense to have it available as a Day 1 upgrade.
Yeah, it was really new, and new things are still being added for it, I spent a lot of time converting props for the garden for this update. Even made my own 'tinu' plant... lol

Last edited:

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
I've done Kali's quest last since I'm not into girls wearing glasses. Just a personal preference.
I know there are no hints about it and you get the money fairly early in her questline - this would be more noticeable for older players since the other girls hadn't had as much content as Kali. Perhaps gatekeeping the Sanctuary purchase behind Kali's event so you are forced to get the early parts of her quest completed would be sufficient. Overall Runey wants you to play with each of the girls in some capacity, can't avoid them forever.

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum for preference though - I kinda laugh it off that 3 of my favorite characters are of the first 4 introduced. I could play a standalone with Lin, Kali and Maria for daaaaaaaaays

• Thinking Face

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I know there are no hints about it and you get the money fairly early in her questline - this would be more noticeable for older players since the other girls hadn't had as much content as Kali. Perhaps gatekeeping the Sanctuary purchase behind Kali's event so you are forced to get the early parts of her quest completed would be sufficient. Overall Runey wants you to play with each of the girls in some capacity, can't avoid them forever.
Interesting idea. I can kind of see that, or maybe have a logic gate, where the player either does the event or has the money already.
I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum for preference though - I kinda laugh it off that 3 of my favorite characters are of the first 4 introduced. I could play a standalone with Lin, Kali and Maria for daaaaaaaaays
Same, Kali, Lin, Maria...
Though others are creeping up on them a little. ;)

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
Interesting idea. I can kind of see that, or maybe have a logic gate, where the player either does the event or has the money already.
That or make it kinda obscure for older veterans, so we can "find" it via a computer search or something but newer players won't know about it until they do the story. If newer players are grinding for money, then it's kinda going against the grain of what Runey is attempting with the passive income and such.

Same, Kali, Lin, Maria...
Though others are creeping up on them a little. ;)
Lucy (mostly to see how Kali abuses/doms her) and the twins are the only ones that come close. Ashley creeps me the fuck out, though she's gotten way better she's always at bare minimum stats for me and Autumn needs way more content before I consider that a top tier option. If I could customize Android to use a set appearance for casual around the hotel/events, she might open up more for me - as is, I'm more interested in her story development and less anything else.

Overall I'm really glad with how Runey has developed the girls. Variety of body options, sexy kinks and character development to keep me interested in the majority where most games I hyper focus on 1-2 and speed-run the rest.

Reactions: torresm

KonfinedKnat

Apr 1, 2022

As someone who likes to play games somewhat linearly storywise, I've noticed there were a few times in recent replays of HH where some of the girls' stories (and hotel upgrading events) didn't appear to quite synch up the way they maybe should. I think a lot of this has to do with a bit of an uneven distribution of new event each update. This can be because certain characters were introduced a few updates after others. As a very general example (this is just an example), Lin may have 20 events by the time Kali is added to the game which means that she'll can be behind Lin in events for a few updates. Most "veterans" of the game won't notice much of a discrepancy since they've already played all of Lin's events to that point so hers and Kali's events will be roughly in synch going forward. The problem is if you're a new player at that update starting from the beginning because, for you, Kali's events will trigger much earlier in the gameplay, and that's when the discrepancies start showing. Add in all of the other girls (especially the side ones) over multiple updates, and it really starts to add up.

The way I understand it, though, one of the reasons why Runey has been going back and revamping earlier scenes has been to try to fix some of these discrepancies.

With the hotel upgrades (i.e., 2nd floor, bar, Sanctuary, etc.), my personal preference is to wait and build those when it makes sense storywise and not before. We kinda have a gate for the Sanctuary with the "gift" from Kali's dad (plus the Cornwall challenge), but it's not a very firm gate from a gameplay/story aspect. Personally, I am one of those people who would like more firm gating put in place to delay when at least some of those things are unlocked, but I may be in the minority so I'll accept what Runey decides.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
That or make it kinda obscure for older veterans, so we can "find" it via a computer search or something but newer players won't know about it until they do the story. If newer players are grinding for money, then it's kinda going against the grain of what Runey is attempting with the passive income and such.

Lucy (mostly to see how Kali abuses/doms her) and the twins are the only ones that come close. Ashley creeps me the fuck out, though she's gotten way better she's always at bare minimum stats for me and Autumn needs way more content before I consider that a top tier option. If I could customize Android to use a set appearance for casual around the hotel/events, she might open up more for me - as is, I'm more interested in her story development and less anything else.

Overall I'm really glad with how Runey has developed the girls. Variety of body options, sexy kinks and character development to keep me interested in the majority where most games I hyper focus on 1-2 and speed-run the rest.
IDK, it is hard for me to think about things as a new player, since having a nice wait between updates, there was plenty of time to build up money, I never had to grind anything, and doing every event each update means I don't get things out of order. By the time we got to the part where we had to buy Sanctuary, I had no money issues, I could afford anything I needed and didn't have to think about it. I mean, the fact that I could not remember if the money from K-dad was 10k or 30k should say a lot about how little I needed it at the time. XD I didn't even know there was a loan option, until one day I was talking to Ellen and I saw the option to pay it back, and I was like, when did I take out a loan? (I didn't, but it still let me click on it).

I don't like to rush through things, and I spend a lot of time between updates just messing around when I have time. Helps that I like a lot of the repeatable stuff.

The Kali Luci dynamic is awesome.

Vanessa, is great, Autumn and Hazel are sexy as hell (and we don't have many redheads to work with), Jena is adorable, I love pet play, Nala is hot as hell, can't wait to do more with Jin again, and so on, and so on...

I still try to avoid Ashey's sex stuff, but I do want to help her through her story stuff.

For android, I would like a setting between small and medium. XD
Also, I would like to disable the femdom module (except maybe when she is with Maria). :KEK:

Yeah, my only real complaint about the variety is not enough redheads. :sneaky: That is why I was so sad to learn the horrible truth about Blue Bunny. :eek: She's really a ...BLOND!

Reactions: KonfinedKnat

shadowtempered

Aug 22, 2020
IDK, it is hard for me to think about things as a new player, since having a nice wait between updates, there was plenty of time to build up money, I never had to grind anything, and doing every event each update means I don't get things out of order. By the time we got to the part where we had to buy Sanctuary, I had no money issues, I could afford anything I needed and didn't have to think about it. I mean, the fact that I could not remember if the money from K-dad was 10k or 30k should say a lot about how little I needed it at the time. XD I didn't even know there was a loan option, until one day I was talking to Ellen and I saw the option to pay it back, and I was like, when did I take out a loan? (I didn't, but it still let me click on it).
I restart every update. I don't play super often between updates since it's lacking in the sandbox / mgmt side of things - your headpats will forever be out of my range. Inherently having the knowledge I do I don't have money issues either. I know to where to spend my money and early game since there isn't much to do I do the daily deliveries in v16 for a little boost to get things started. Since the elves you buy still have little content, I tend to only buy the Sanctuary when prompted keeping my focus on the outfits / bar upgrades for story / passive income. I never have to grind, but I already know what to expect.

As someone who likes to play games somewhat linearly storywise, I've noticed there were a few times in recent replays of HH where some of the girls' stories (and hotel upgrading events) didn't appear to quite synch up the way they maybe should. I think a lot of this has to do with a bit of an uneven distribution of new event each update. This can be because certain characters were introduced a few updates after others. As a very general example (this is just an example), Lin may have 20 events by the time Kali is added to the game which means that she'll can be behind Lin in events for a few updates. Most "veterans" of the game won't notice much of a discrepancy since they've already played all of Lin's events to that point so hers and Kali's events will be roughly in synch going forward. The problem is if you're a new player at that update starting from the beginning because, for you, Kali's events will trigger much earlier in the gameplay, and that's when the discrepancies start showing. Add in all of the other girls (especially the side ones) over multiple updates, and it really starts to add up.

The way I understand it, though, one of the reasons why Runey has been going back and revamping earlier scenes has been to try to fix some of these discrepancies.

With the hotel upgrades (i.e., 2nd floor, bar, Sanctuary, etc.), my personal preference is to wait and build those when it makes sense storywise and not before. We kinda have a gate for the Sanctuary with the "gift" from Kali's dad (plus the Cornwall challenge), but it's not a very firm gate from a gameplay/story aspect. Personally, I am one of those people who would like more firm gating put in place to delay when at least some of those things are unlocked, but I may be in the minority so I'll accept what Runey decides.
I think most of the divergence happens after you get the second floor. When it's just the 4 girls, there aren't any side events that require outside things to impact them until mid/late stories. If you beeline the second floor, then you open yourself to more issues like Neon/You describe because you're able to "focus" on favorite girl. I forget, was several pages ago, where someone complained about how in one event Maria is super upset from a late game event, triggered another girl's event and Maria was all giggles.

I agree with you about having more gatekeeping locks. I know it's not popular, but with the girl's stories interweaving with one another I don't see how you could get around it. Either ignore these little hiccups since they don't have great impact or you get crazy knit picky in trying to prevent story overlaps that wouldn't make sense. At this point, I think Runey's time might be better spent focused on moving things along / adding content then worrying about it.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I restart every update. I don't play super often between updates since it's lacking in the sandbox / mgmt side of things - your headpats will forever be out of my range. Inherently having the knowledge I do I don't have money issues either. I know to where to spend my money and early game since there isn't much to do I do the daily deliveries in v16 for a little boost to get things started. Since the elves you buy still have little content, I tend to only buy the Sanctuary when prompted keeping my focus on the outfits / bar upgrades for story / passive income. I never have to grind, but I already know what to expect.

I think most of the divergence happens after you get the second floor. When it's just the 4 girls, there aren't any side events that require outside things to impact them until mid/late stories. If you beeline the second floor, then you open yourself to more issues like Neon/You describe because you're able to "focus" on favorite girl. I forget, was several pages ago, where someone complained about how in one event Maria is super upset from a late game event, triggered another girl's event and Maria was all giggles.

I agree with you about having more gatekeeping locks. I know it's not popular, but with the girl's stories interweaving with one another I don't see how you could get around it. Either ignore these little hiccups since they don't have great impact or you get crazy knit picky in trying to prevent story overlaps that wouldn't make sense. At this point, I think Runey's time might be better spent focused on moving things along / adding content then worrying about it.
I wish I had time for that. XD I am lucky that I manage to play each update still, I dropped most games I used to play.

For me, the exhibitionism events are the ones I like to replay the most, I like some of the other stuff too, but the vanilla sex stuff is kind of boring to me in these games (thanks to my past), and I have gotten spoiled by a couple of other games on that.

One of the good things about playing each update as it comes, is that even if you save some stories for last, none of them fall too far behind. It's never good to rush. XD

Yeah, there are just some things you have to deal with in a game with sandboxy elements. The whole reason you have to wait a few days between events is to encourage you to spread things around more, and not focus on anyone too much. ;)

Reactions: shadowtempered

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
I read some reviews here and honestly all of them wanted to point at one thing...

They needed more fap no story. Its sad because the story is interesting. I mean theres a lot of porn in the net go there lols instead of downloading the game.
You mean to say you've read the bad reviews? Unfortunately those reviews provide nothing of value. Put simply, they're haters. Many of them have nothing better to do except upvote other poorly rated reviews. I wish constructive criticism existed more on this website, but it simply doesn't. I know this game is far from perfection, but they are of no help to anyone.

The vast, VAST majority of people say "came for the porn, stayed for the story." I also always add sexual content in every update, more than I used to in previous updates. So this sentiment that the game needs more porn only comes from people who ONLY want porn from my game, and Harem Hotel is simply just not a porn game, it's an adult visual novel. Some people can't accept that.

Last edited:

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
NeonSelf Thanks for the review!

So, I wouldn't really say Harem Hotel is a sandbox at all, or has much management. These are not things I've ever advertised, but HH certainly does have some of those aspects in the game. I just worry that people reading your review will expect something this game is not.

As per the dark and depressing stuff, most of that only happened to two or three specific characters I think? And about half way through their current story lines if I recall correctly. I would like to understand where you're coming from here. Have you advanced far enough into the story for these arcs to be over?
I hear this a lot from people, and I can't really tell if this comment comes up a lot because my writing left such an impact, or if it has gone on longer than they want it to. I don't think anything depressing lasts longer than two events. It certainly isn't the theme of Harem Hotel.

More ways of making money are coming, and one came in v0.16. Deliveries! It's a great way to make active income. And in v0.17, the bowling tourney will be possible. a weekly event where you play against random citizens of Caliber for a grand prize of $150 - $250. I'm also working on the farm in v0.17, and hopefully it will be released then. That will be another source of active and passive income. The farm will be connected to the garden, and Lin's sister will eventually work it, making it all passive income.

The money grind right now shouldn't be an issue if you bought the bar when you should have, but in v0.17, even if you don't buy the bar when you should, this shouldn't be as much of an issue with all the new ways to make money coming.

Tip screens are coming in v0.17, so hopefully all of this will be more clear.
1677866509148.png

Last edited:

KonfinedKnat

Apr 1, 2022
More ways of making money are coming, and one came in v0.16. Deliveries! It's a great way to make active income. And in v0.17, the bowling tourney will be possible. a weekly event where you play against random citizens of Caliber for a grand prize of $150 - $250. I'm also working on the farm in v0.17, and hopefully it will be released then. That will be another source of active and passive income. The farm will be connected to the garden, and Lin's sister will eventually work it, making it all passive income.
I'm still hoping for a way to set up a little cart on a street corner where can sell headpats at $5 a pop. :LOL:

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
As per the dark and depressing stuff, most of that only happened to two or three specific characters I think? And about half way through their current story lines if I recall correctly. I would like to understand where you're coming from here. Have you advanced far enough into the story for these arcs to be over?
As a writer you see your story from different perspective. You have things planned ahead, so there is nothing to worry about.
But as a player I had mixed experience.

Early game:
- I've got a hotel, a cute elf. I expect bright future ahead with sexy girls. It seems like a free-roam no risk corruption game, where every step is rewarding. Like, unlocking a brother is a relaxing and joyful experiience. Same goes for early game events with girls: over time they open to more sexy actions, wear new outfits. There is nothing to worry about.

Endgame:
- It doesnt feel safe to *Talk* with a girl anymore. After I lost Maria, I grinded to buy sanctuary and all the rebeling elves, because I didnt know what to do. She didnt appear in my PC like other slaves. So I had a few month selling nudes and grinding money. Only to discover that Kali's father will give me 10.000 later in her questline. So now I have a ton of money and nothing to do with them...
- Story events become depressing. Walk with Sylvia and get a 200$ fine because she's not on a leash. Visit church and see how some guy cuts himself. Sit in a prison with your team for a few days without any control over situation. Have criminals and corrupt cops at your hotel putting everyone in danger. Visit an Owl village and look how some raiders enslave naked defenseless woman. Look at a bleeding elf android... Story events are not entertaining anymore. Every talk is about rape or slavery.

So my choice is simple: having most of the sex scenes and interactions unlocked I can enjoy my sandbox or I have to read through more and more depressing story and risk to stop at some cliffhanger, because its unfinished.

4.70 star(s) 449 Votes