goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I have to disagree, just because it doesn't 'stress the engine', doesn't make it bad. The simple fact that it is not filling my SSD C:\ up with useless redundant saves makes it far superior to me, even if you can't save in or roll back conversations.
You can get the other versions of a game in unity in the other OSs as well, also with the click of the right things.

As a dyslexic person trying to make games, even if Ren'Py didn't upset me with its shitty saving to hidden files on C no matter where you put the game itself, working in it was a nightmare. I worked for days, and could not even manage to get my buttons moved, but in unity, it was easy.

Both engines have their good and bad points, but most of the problems with unity can be fixed if you know how to code, where is with Ren'py, they are either hard baked into the system and are not changeable, or they take ten times the work to get the same result, especially if you want to have minigames.

I want everyone to use what they want, but personally, I will stick to the one that is easier for me to use, and prepares me for the future games I want to make, as opposed to one that is only good for one thing. But to be honest, I hate Ren'Py, and all the extra work it makes for me, cleaning up its mess, between it and Daz filling my C:\ without permission, I ended up having to buy a new drive because you can't fill an SSD, or it ruins it.
Filling your SSD up with useless redundant saves? I've got 91 saves for DMD chapter 1. It's using 31 megs. What are you putting in the saves, and how many are you manually saving, to generate enough to fill up an SSD? The "hidden" folder is in a known place (appdata on Windows, ~/Library/RenPy on Mac, ~/.renpy on Linux), based on your game info.

I don't understand how Ren'Py fills up your C drive without permission. You can turn autosave off, and tell it how many autosaves max to keep. All other saves are manual, and you can choose to make new ones. or overwrite old ones.

As for working for days and not being able to move move buttons...dude, you're doing it wrong. I ran UnRen on DMD chapter 3, opened screens.rpy, and changed
imagebutton auto "bg/menu_18/config_%s.png" xalign 0.38 yalign 0.99 action ShowMenu("preferences")
to
imagebutton auto "bg/menu_18/config_%s.png" xalign 0.38 yalign 0.50 action ShowMenu("preferences")

I launched it, and the Config button was moved to the center of the screen. Took me less than a minute.

Minigames - you'd rather write custom stuff in C# than Python? Ok...but don't act like you can't do them in Ren'Py. Sakura Dungeon is a traditional dungeon crawl, with multiple levels, minimap, quests, items and keyboard navigation, written in Ren'Py. You can do minigames.

I get that Unity is easier for you to use, because of your circumstances. But Ren'Py is generally easier for the user to use, and is MUCH better for a VN or sandbox game. The best Unity VN engine, VNGINE (used in Timestamps) isn't as good as Ren'Py. IMO, of course.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Having an issue with the Android's cowgirl outfit. I bought it and got it in the mail, but have no option to give it to her. I have my save open in an editor now and see ten different references to either the sex position or the outfit, hard to tell. What should I look for to reset the value? There are two referencing both cowgirl and android, both say wallpaperunlocked, but only one has a value of 1 while the other has a value of 0.

Last edited:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Of course it's difficult to use it for some games but find it helpful in most, when I want to rest the right hand for a while(CTS). 2-4-6-8 for navigation, numEnter to select+skip, + - for rollback. Should be fairly straight forward to move this over to wasd or similar.
Well, for mouse or keyboard, it's all my right hand, even if I wasn't that strongly right handed, my left is usually ...busy when I am playing these games. :sneaky:
I do want to point out, I did the love route for Nia and Sylvia, but not Ann, as it seemed to make her unhappy. XD
Filling your SSD up with useless redundant saves? I've got 91 saves for DMD chapter 1. It's using 31 megs. What are you putting in the saves, and how many are you manually saving, to generate enough to fill up an SSD? The "hidden" folder is in a known place (appdata on Windows, ~/Library/RenPy on Mac, ~/.renpy on Linux), based on your game info.

I don't understand how Ren'Py fills up your C drive without permission. You can turn autosave off, and tell it how many autosaves max to keep. All other saves are manual, and you can choose to make new ones. or overwrite old ones.

As for working for days and not being able to move move buttons...dude, you're doing it wrong. I ran UnRen on DMD chapter 3, opened screens.rpy, and changed
imagebutton auto "bg/menu_18/config_%s.png" xalign 0.38 yalign 0.99 action ShowMenu("preferences")
to
imagebutton auto "bg/menu_18/config_%s.png" xalign 0.38 yalign 0.50 action ShowMenu("preferences")

I launched it, and the Config button was moved to the center of the screen. Took me less than a minute.

Minigames - you'd rather write custom stuff in C# than Python? Ok...but don't act like you can't do them in Ren'Py. Sakura Dungeon is a traditional dungeon crawl, with multiple levels, minimap, quests, items and keyboard navigation, written in Ren'Py. You can do minigames.

I get that Unity is easier for you to use, because of your circumstances. But Ren'Py is generally easier for the user to use, and is MUCH better for a VN or sandbox game. The best Unity VN engine, VNGINE (used in Timestamps) isn't as good as Ren'Py. IMO, of course.
For this game alone, I have almost 1800 saves. I save every day, and at every choice. I have almost 150 game folders in my appdata folder. And that is the problem, it's not about the auto saves (though I have no idea how to do anything with them, I don't use them at all, for anything), it is about them making a second copy of every save in the appdata folder, when all I want or need are the ones in the game folder. That is called redundant, it makes an extra copy that is not needed. I do not want a copy of the saves to be stored anywhere other than in the game folder, that is what I call 'without permission', putting them in a place I don't want. I clean this folder out regularly, and it is still over a gig!

So, between that, and the fact that Daz keeps installing everything to C: as well, even after I told it to save everything to G:\, my drive filled up without me knowing it. Filling an SSD ruins it.

I CAN'T CODE, I am dyslexic, what you showed me might as well have been Klingon for all the good it does me. I need it to be visual, not by code. In Unity, I can drag and drop it with the mouse, stretch it, shrink it, just like in photoshop or something, going back and forth with code is WAY harder no matter how you look at it.

As far as minigames go, from what Dark Cookie said, doing minigames is possible in ren'py, he does it, but it is WAY harder than it needs to be. I would rather go the easy route. Personally, I think Man of the House is way better than Time Stamps, from a user experience, and Big Brother was better than that.

From a game maker and from a game player perspective, I still hate Ren'Py, and find it far worse to use.

• Haha
Reactions: Master of Puppets

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
Moon punching you is kinda hot though.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hmm, it occurs to me that I should have probably elaborated a bit on the Moon thing in the survey, but I didn't for space reasons.

I'm down for more Moon content, but the spanking thing is a fetish I don't care about at all so I selected the "not really interested" option.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018

Hmm, it occurs to me that I should have probably elaborated a bit on the Moon thing in the survey, but I didn't for space reasons.

I'm down for more Moon content, but the spanking thing is a fetish I don't care about at all so I selected the "not really interested" option.
That was kind of how I felt about 'did you enslave or romance the elves'.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

Honestly, I'm for any content that is well written regardless of type, though I am more of an exhibitionism lover than anything else in the game so far. For some reason, Moon's training woke something in me I didn't know I had, which is why I did decide to go through once to see how it would go if I punished her as much as it would let me by doing all three sets of spankings per session and making her beg for it. I'm also partial to elves and disabled characters, the disabled characters part is brand new and I have Runey to thank for it since he brought it up with that one character.

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
Runey I'm really quite surprised that I haven't seen this yet, but... when is the next update? :ROFLMAO: :p :whistle: Sorry, I just had to. I know how much you love it when people ask that; especially this close to a new release.
*patiently waits for one of the characters to make an in-game reference to this along with "And fuck that Chuck asshole too" or something. :sneaky: :ROFLMAO:*

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018

I didn't mean spanking training, I just meant training that slowly changes over time, but is largely the same content.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Runey on the survey : "Use as few words as possible"

ZTex :
To be fair, only the last section said use as few words as possible. That would normally only apply to the whole thing if either at the very top prior to the first section or if every single section had it.

geemergary

Aug 12, 2017
I didn't mean spanking training, I just meant training that slowly changes over time, but is largely the same content.
Training scene that changes over time is fine and good, but I think the 10 iterations with Moon might have been a bit much. Maybe... around 5-6 would be good I think.

Reactions: theOrangeEmperor

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Training scene that changes over time is fine and good, but I think the 10 iterations with Moon might have been a bit much. Maybe... around 5-6 would be good I think.
I'm going to have to disagree on that, I think the iterations in the game now are good as they are in both quality and quantity. While quality should, of course, be top priority, having a large quantity of events should also be something to strive for and different variations like those for the Moon spanking event definitely help in that regard. Definitely agree with you that having training that changes over time would be nice.

4.70 star(s) 444 Votes