TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I'm pretty sure men aren't supposed to have access to the braid in HS, hence why it's growing out of the back of his shirt instead of the back of his head.
That would just make it worse, but it does kind of match the beard one, so hard to say.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I had a feeling those greedy little bastards would try something like this. Of course, since none of it is actually being sold as it is absolutely free to download the tested builds, your project falls under fair use and they can therefore do nothing. I mean, they can, but it would be a serious waste of money, especially if a dev that gets hit contests it in court as any judge who knows copyright law would immediately throw out the case. Probably best to take the project off Patreon just to be safe and just use the Patreon as a general donation source just in case they try something stupid and Patreon, in their infinite wisdom, strikes you first and asks questions never.

Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019
You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger HH fan on this site, but given what you're describing, I would absolutely support the decision to just make something else. I know you're not really soliciting advice here but yeah, that does sound like the best option.

Regardless, I'm a proud $20/month patreon and that isn't changing. Do what you gotta do, friend.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I just don't get what they think anyone would use their 'games' for, if not this type of thing? It's not like they are worth playing in their own right.

Reactions: Pr0man

Killer7

My New Family / My New Memories
Donor
Game Developer
May 14, 2019
I had a feeling those greedy little bastards would try something like this. Of course, since none of it is actually being sold as it is absolutely free to download the tested builds, your project falls under fair use and they can therefore do nothing. I mean, they can, but it would be a serious waste of money, especially if a dev that gets hit contests it in court as any judge who knows copyright law would immediately throw out the case. Probably best to take the project off Patreon just to be safe and just use the Patreon as a general donation source just in case they try something stupid and Patreon, in their infinite wisdom, strikes you first and asks questions never.
That is a pretty good statement and alex has a good point here. I also think all of your work falls under fair use ( like I told you on discord ) since you arent selling anything, you are merely offering "donations" for people to fund the hours you put into your game. But just to be safe, I would also suggest what alex said and take the project off patreon. I guess patreon acts like youtube, if they get a claim they will just take you down and then ask questions.

Reactions: TheDevian

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
Yeah just read the news on a new thread regarding Fakku trying to stop/halt all projects using HS... which I am sure will also apply to Koikatu... this sucks... as we may lose your game alongside Max's Life, Mythic Manor, and Solvalley High... :(

Truly a sad day...

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
Now that does apply in the US but i'm wonderign about the EU.

There is no DMCA in EU beside the content does fall under fair use since there is no pay wall.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
No I think he's a scammer.
No business would say "I will try to figure out a license fee but it'll be substantial."
No business would conduct affairs with other people over discord.
No business would not identify itself and go thru proper legal channels for fear of lawsuits.

IMHO, you're getting scammed to high hell. Demand evidence. Call his bluff.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
That is a pretty good statement and alex has a good point here. I also think all of your work falls under fair use ( like I told you on discord ) since you arent selling anything, you are merely offering "donations" for people to fund the hours you put into your game. But just to be safe, I would also suggest what alex said and take the project off patreon. I guess patreon acts like youtube, if they get a claim they will just take you down and then ask questions.
They have the ability to enforce their copyright, whether I'm making money off of something or not. The rule I'm breaking is sharing images made in Honey Select, not about selling anything. Although, since I'm making money, they can force me to give them money, or I'll need to take my page down.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
No I think he's a scammer.
No business would say "I will try to figure out a license fee but it'll be substantial."
No business would conduct affairs with other people over discord.
No business would not identify itself and go thru proper legal channels for fear of lawsuits.

IMHO, you're getting scammed to high hell. Demand providence. Call his bluff.
It's confirmed, I know it's unbelievable, but he owns the Official Fakku discord server as well where there is also staff hanging around.

I wasn't randomly messaged, people asked Jacob to join the EDGN server and I messaged Jacob first.

• Thinking Face
4.70 star(s) 450 Votes