Killer7

My New Family / My New Memories
Donor
Game Developer
May 14, 2019
They have the ability to enforce their copyright, whether I'm making money off of something or not. The rule I'm breaking is sharing images made in Honey Select, not about selling anything. Although, since I'm making money, they can force me to give them money, or I'll need to take my page down.
I find this rule really weird though, can they actually enforce something like this in america? Like, not allowing you to share ANY pictures you make in one of their games? Even if you would not sell them. When I google "Honey select" and select pictures I see a lot of images that arent official ones, will fakku try to take them all down?

Reactions: TheDevian

Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019
I find this rule really weird though, can they actually enforce something like this in america? Like, not allowing you to share ANY pictures you make in one of their games? Even if you would not sell them. When I google "Honey select" and select pictures I see a lot of images that arent official ones, will fakku try to take them all down?
I get what you're saying but ultimately it's probably not worth taking a stand. If you can make something just as good without some asshole threatening your livelihood over legalese bullshit, that's probably what you should do.

• Thinking Face

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Anything one makes can be enforced by copyright law. If I make a shitty drawing in paint.net and someone uses it without my permission, and there's proof I made it, I can make them stop using it. There's absolutely no reason why anyone would though, unless that person is making a ton of money, then you could get some of that.

• Thinking Face

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
They have the ability to enforce their copyright, whether I'm making money off of something or not. The rule I'm breaking is sharing images made in Honey Select, not about selling anything. Although, since I'm making money, they can force me to give them money, or I'll need to take my page down.
The point is they have no legal recourse as this is a fair use project, you are not selling it. If you had some patron only bonus content like some other projects, that would eliminate fair use as a possibility. Sure, they can go through private companies like Patreon to get it taken down as a ToS violation or something stupid like that, and we all know Patreon would comply, but they can't successfully use legal methods such as a court order. At best, they'll go through Patreon and threaten to sue, but a lawsuit would be a very stupid move for them on a fair use project. Any monetary threat is only a scare tactic, nothing more. I would worry more about Patreon taking it down than anything else.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
It's confirmed, I know it's unbelievable, but he owns the Official Fakku discord server as well where there is also staff hanging around.

I wasn't randomly messaged, people asked Jacob to join the EDGN server and I messaged Jacob first.
Fakku doesn't own the copyright to HS, Illusion do and they haven't released any statements. This might be a money grab by Fakku.

Killer7

Donor
Game Developer
May 14, 2019
Man, this sucks.

I mean, I will still support you no matter what happens, but this is a low blow for anyone that is trying to create Visual Novels with Honey Select.

The stuff Lykanz mentioned in the other thread ( https://f95zone.to/threads/an-offic...atreon-games-using-honey-select-assets.35129/ ) might still apply to you though. Maybe Illusion are actually the ones you should contact about this to get a real official response from. I dont know how fakku works, since they appear to be the publishers to "Honey Select Unlimited" but still state Illusion as the devs.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Fakku doesn't own the copyright to HS, Illusion do and they haven't released any statements. This might be a money grab by Fakku.
Another good point. While Fakku is a partner in bringing a few Illusion games to western audiences, that's the furthest their agreement with Illusion goes. They don't hold any rights except distribution of the games themselves to the west. Only Illusion can make any kind of threat unless Illusion themselves authorize Fakku to act on their own. With the lack of statement from Illusion, I do doubt Fakku is authorized to do this. The threat may be legitimately from Fakku, but it holds no power without authorization from Illusion, who themselves purposely made many functions of these games, HS included, to allow people to create renders for their own projects. That's the whole reason the screenshots taken within their games have the watermark, as a sort of advertisement that the render was created using an Illusion product.

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
Another good point. While Fakku is a partner in bringing a few Illusion games to western audiences, that's the furthest their agreement with Illusion goes. They don't hold any rights except distribution of the games themselves to the west. Only Illusion can make any kind of threat unless Illusion themselves authorize Fakku to act on their own. With the lack of statement from Illusion, I do doubt Fakku is authorized to do this.
I mean just check Fakku's website
just HSU, no koi, no Japanese version of the game.

HELL, even Emotion creator which exist to create VN isn't on their website.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Runey, where did you get Honey Select from? If it's not Honey Select Unlimited from Fakku, I don't think they can do anything. If you bought the Japanese version, Illusion is who you'd deal with, not Fakku.

This kind of game is a lot like machinima. Fair use has never been tested in court as a defense for machinima. But if you position HH as a parody, you'd be able to say "fair use" with more authority.

Killer7

Donor
Game Developer
May 14, 2019
The more I think about this the more sense it makes in my head. I think as long as Illusion doesnt say anything regarding this, fakku is just trying to grab some money from developers that get intimidated by what they tell them.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Another good point. While Fakku is a partner in bringing a few Illusion games to western audiences, that's the furthest their agreement with Illusion goes. They don't hold any rights except distribution of the games themselves to the west. Only Illusion can make any kind of threat unless Illusion themselves authorize Fakku to act on their own. With the lack of statement from Illusion, I do doubt Fakku is authorized to do this.
Fakku is the distributor, Illusion is the developer. It is Illusion who has the copyright and who the license is with. There doesn't seem to be an official license agreement anywhere on either website though.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I mean just check Fakku's website
just HSU, no koi, no Japanese version of the game.

HELL, even Emotion creator which exist to create VN isn't on their website.
Exactly, they hold no power over anything not related to the main game for HS on top of the lack of statement from the people who do. Without that statement, authorization to continue by the devs themselves still stands. If Fakku tries something, make a complaint to Illusion.

fssntuff

Sep 15, 2018
DAZ3D pretty much does penetration rather detailed. The issue is it takes a bit to use, and the render times if using iRay engine, take a rather long time. I use the 3D Delight engine for mine. The big issue with DAZ3D is being able to use models and such in games, it can be done, but it costs a lot for license.

fssntuff

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Fakku is the distributor, Illusion is the developer. It is Illusion who has the copyright and who the license is with. There doesn't seem to be an official license agreement anywhere on either website though.
I never really looked into it, the only reason I know is because I took revenge on a guy doing repacks of Koikatu for striking me for linking a download here on my MEGA account. I made a complaint to both Fakku and Illusion because his repacks were behind a pay wall on Patreon. Now that I think about it, Fakku might have outed themselves here as doing something illegal. I'm starting to get the feeling there is no agreement at all and their own distribution is under a fake pretense of authorization by Illusion, but that is pure speculation unless I find evidence.

• Thinking Face

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
DAZ3D pretty much does penetration rather detailed. The issue is it takes a bit to use, and the render times if using iRay engine, take a rather long time. I use the 3D Delight engine for mine.

fssntuff
The downside is the models are HIDEOUS. I play a few Daz games, such as Lifeplay and Lab Rats 2, and the models in those games are terrifyingly ugly.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Does anyone know anyone from news sites like Motherboard, Polygon, Game Informer, etc?? Shoot them an email explaining this and say that Fakku is trying to intimidate money from developers who hold a fair use license of games featuring Honey Select. And even those who use the Illusion version are being threatened.

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
The downside is the models are HIDEOUS. I play a few Daz games, such as Lifeplay, and the models in that game are terrifyingly ugly.
Daz has A LOT OF POTENTIAL, like Milfy City, Being a DiK, boom Gorgeous models.

HS has a lot of potential as well, but less than Daz I feel, Like on my opinion Runey's models are the best and they're peak performance.

While Koi has less potential but is fairly easy to use.

Does anyone know anyone from news sites like Motherboard, Polygon, Game Informer, etc?? Shoot them an email explaining this and say that Fakku is trying to intimidate money from developers who hold a fair use license of games featuring Honey Select. And even those who use the Illusion version are being threatened.
I back this up, Fakku is a Publisher and owns no right beyond publishing until proved otherwise.

Reactions: Bryon Smothers
4.70 star(s) 450 Votes